Abel to Yzerman

Videos- Post Game After A 6-2 Loss To The Chicago Blackhawks

We have Larkin, Bertuzzi and Blashill in the first video, below find the game highlights.

Game highlights

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

Paul's avatar

from Ted Kulfan of the Detroit News,

“It wasn’t the hockey we played at home,” forward Dylan Larkin said. “We left our goaltender out to dry and lost battles. We had an opportunity here against a team we thought we could beat twice and we didn’t show up. We have to turn it around before we go down to Dallas.

“We have to figure it out fast.”

Chicago Blackhawks center Pius Suter, left, reacts after scoring his second goal as Detroit Red Wings goalie Jonathan Bernier and defender Danny DeKeyser react during the first period.

Coach Jeff Blashill has generally been pleased with the compete level and energy the Wings have played with to start the season. But in these last two games, and specifically Sunday, the Wings needed more players going at full speed.

“Not good enough,” Blashill said. “I don’t think we were competing like crazy out there. We were competing OK but OK doesn’t cut it in this league and it won’t cut it for us, for sure.

“But today starts with work and compete and our work and compete wasn’t elite at all. Not close. If that’s not great, nothing will help you at that point. You have to play with that to have a chance in this league.”

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/24/21 at 05:16 PM ET

Paul's avatar

from Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press,

The Detroit Red Wings flunked their first road test of the season, and now face having to redeem themselves against the Stanley Cup runner-up.

Their Sunday matinee in Chicago was ugly to watch, ending with a 6-2 loss to the Blackhawks. Other than a pair of power play goals from Tyler Bertuzzi there was nothing to like: The Wings lacked energy, blew defensive coverage, and looked little like the team that had injected hope for something better through the first two series of the season.

Granted they have a handful of regulars in COVID protocol, but that doesn’t excuse others from turning in sickly performances.

“Guys have to raise their games,” coach Jeff Blashill said. “I would say it starts with the guys that are regulars, who have to play at a higher level when you are missing other players. And guys that step into opportunities have to play at a higher level. I think too many of the first part of that, the regulars, haven’t raised their game. We are missing a number of guys so other guys have to raise their game. We haven’t had enough of that yet.”

Anthony Mantha had a rough game — he stole the puck off Dylan Strome only to blindly send it straight to Connor Murphy, who made it 3-1 late in the second period.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/24/21 at 05:42 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Smith and Hirose returned to the taxi squad.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/24/21 at 06:37 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

I couldn’t believe it. Which team is Mantha playing for? He was wearing the wrong jersey. angry

Posted by bigfrog on 01/24/21 at 06:37 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Adam Erne; Robby Fabbri; Sam Gagner; Jon Merrill; Filip Zadina remain on today’s COVID list.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/24/21 at 06:40 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

...Anthony Mantha had a rough game…

If Detroit had actual sportswriters as in the past, there would be a far greater critique of Anthony Mantha’s performance than ” he had a rough game”

Can you imagine the ink that would be spilled in Toronto if someone on the Leafs played like this ??

Can’t imagine Larry Brooks would be as kind as the “sportswriters” we have in Detroit…

Posted by Down River Dan on 01/24/21 at 07:06 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

People that know him really like Mantha. Redmond seems very fond, and I can’t recall a time he’s been critical of him. I trust Mickys judgement more than just about everyone, but there’s something missing here.

It’s all very similar to Franzen, except Franzen worked harder on the ice even on the weeks where he was “lazy”. On a team with so little talent, larken, Bert, and Mantha all have a serious shot at scoring 30 plus goal in a normal season. There’s really no excuse not to - larken and Bert always show up.

Posted by TreKronor on 01/24/21 at 08:00 PM ET

WingDingy's avatar

After watching this game, I felt like I been through a time warp and was deposited in the middle of last season.  Even if you don’t win, you’d like to see some level of consistency and a sense that a few of the guys who we need to show up for every game aren’t just mailing it in.

Posted by WingDingy on 01/24/21 at 08:08 PM ET

The Meal's avatar

During the first Carolina game, Mickey pointed out that Mantha was injured last season and has only got a handful of games in over the course of the last 12+ months.  He thought it could take Mantha some time to get back up to speed.

To my eyes, that doesn’t completely explain what I’ve seen on the ice, but Mickey has forgotten more about playing hockey at the professional level than I could ever learn.

Posted by The Meal from Firestone, CO on 01/24/21 at 08:21 PM ET

mantha’s play reminds me of when mario first came into the league, and grapes used to call him out for floating on HNIC.

i would suggest that the captain will not tolerate this, should i say “indifference” for an extended time frame.

thoughts?

Posted by rickytarr on 01/24/21 at 09:25 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Mantha has lost every puck battle he has been in this year and is playing with no confidence.  I remain hopeful that it is just a matter of being out and returning to game action, but I don’t know, I’ve watch a lot of other elite talent sit a year and come back with more fire. More concerning was his lack of effort to get a stick in front of our net, I mean no excuse for that.

I thought Rasmussen has been good in all the games leading up to this, but he was not good today, he was overstating his forecheck getting below his assignment, doing the same getting into board battles, and just got abused on that last goal.

Hronek is a really good dman, but he’s not a #1 yet.

Smith looked good, I get we were playing from behind, but I would’ve rewarded him with more minutes, we’re not running for the cup. Maybe given him one of Mantha’s shifts.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerHolland2.0's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 01/24/21 at 10:26 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

What scares me is, this isn’t a new issue with him. Further, he’s in game 6 of a 4 year, $23mil contract.

Posted by TreKronor on 01/24/21 at 11:52 PM ET