Abel to Yzerman

Video- Contract Extension “Expected” For Jeff Blashill

via TSN's YouTube page,

TSN Hockey Insiders Darren Dreger, Bob McKenzie and Pierre LeBrun joined host Glenn Schiiler to discuss whether or not Connor McDavid’s patience is running thin in Edmonton, the prospects of Taylor Hall returning this season and the future of Jeff Blashill with the Red Wings sitting near the bottom of the league.

Note: the video scrolls to the start of the Blashill talk with Bob McKenzie.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

ilovehomers's avatar

Well this news should go over well here.

I think most people liked the progress of AA, Larkin, Lil Bert this year. Blash is the coach for this. Mantha is a question mark because of injury. And with the roster Blash is stuck with…

I’d still like to see Kenny go before Blash.

Posted by ilovehomers on 03/14/19 at 08:00 PM ET

Agreed, I lay a lot more fault at the feet of Ken Holland here than Blashill. All things considered, I think he’s done a decent job with what he’s had this year. We knew going into the season that they didn’t have the talent to be truly competitive, but they’ve still managed to play a pretty entertaining brand of hockey and lose the “right” way more often than not this year. The players seem to still be fighting for the future, which tells me that they’re still behind Blash too.

Posted by RyanVM on 03/14/19 at 08:35 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

Blashill did the best with what he had, so no surprise with an extension. smile

Posted by bigfrog on 03/14/19 at 11:35 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

I listen to a lot of Toronto Sports radio, the natives and some media pundits are beginning to question Uncle Mike’s abilities/tactics…..Maybe we get 2 homecomings in the near future.. Stevie & Mike..???

Posted by Down River Dan on 03/15/19 at 06:35 AM ET

Not surprised based on KH’s comments from a couple weeks ago.
And I agree with comments above, most of the blame is on KH for the roster he constructed.
More importantly, how long would the extension be, I hope no more than 2-3 years. Granted, it doesn’t really matter as coaches can get fired with no impacts on the team.

Posted by George0211 on 03/15/19 at 08:10 AM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Posted by Down River Dan on 03/15/19 at 06:35 AM ET

I listened to the Toronto / Chicago post-game on the radio Wednesday night, and the honeymoon is definitely over for Babs in TO.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie, MI on 03/15/19 at 08:59 AM ET

Tripwire32's avatar

Posted by Down River Dan on 03/15/19 at 06:35 AM ET

Please no. Babs may have won a cup with the wings, but his time/schtick is past. The answer is within your own comment. It might be ok to tread water a little while longer with blash until the franchise flushes out a coach that’s more dynamic and agile in approach to carry the team forward.

Posted by Tripwire32 from Kay He Mar Heart on 03/15/19 at 09:27 AM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

Posted by Tripwire32 from Kay He Mar Heart on 03/15/19 at 09:27 AM ET

agreed. Well put Trip..

I was big on Blashill when they brought him up from GR. I think his first three seasons were ugly at best. The biggest reasons due to his crazy constant line juggling and his lack of consistent acts of discipline regarding players.

I think he has been better this year. The line juggling has become almost normal and this has help the team be more competitive. Has he really helped the young players evolve? I would say he has some bearing on this, but to say Larkin is the player he is today because of Blashill’s guidance may be a reach. Larkin is going to be Larkin because that is what Dylan wants to be. And same with the other players.

IF he is extended, I hope it’s only a one or two year contract.

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 03/15/19 at 10:02 AM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

If Blashill gets an extension that probably means Holland is coming back too. I highly doubt that the Wings would extend the current head coach and then bring in a new GM.

So, if the news is correct, I guess we’re stuck with Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum for at least one more year. And that leads to the obvious question: Who are the top four prospects in the 2020 draft?

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 03/15/19 at 11:24 AM ET

Primis's avatar

There is really nobody out there available that I’m interested in having as coach instead of Blashill.  And unlike with players, you can sign Blashill to an extension and then fire him in short order if need be.  So an extension isn’t a huge commitment.

I still think Holland is gone and he knows it, as does the DET front office.  An extension to Blashill would mean they want some continuity and a bridge for the next GM (likely not Yzerman if we’re being honest here).

As for Babcock and TOR… hah hah hah.  The whole thing was a bad idea form the start.  So many egos in the market the most under the microscope.  Truthfully, unless something changes   Babcock has damaged his legacy by going to TOR.

Posted by Primis on 03/15/19 at 11:41 AM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

Babcock has damaged his legacy by going to TOR.

Posted by Primis on 03/15/19 at 11:41 AM ET

No offense Primis, but what is his legacy? He has won one cup. Plus he has had issues with players prior to going to Toronto. He was close with two other Cups but didn’t deliver. He is a very damn good coach, but not great. At least not in present day.

But definitely agree with you, it was a bad idea from the Start. But they do have a solid team, this whole rhetoric could change if Toronto has a good playoff run.

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 03/15/19 at 11:53 AM ET

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 03/15/19 at 11:24 AM ET

Well, KH is under contract for another year anyway, so I’m not sure if Blashill re-signing actually means KH is coming back after his contract.
I really do believe Yzerman will be the GM after next season.

Posted by George0211 on 03/15/19 at 12:09 PM ET

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 03/15/19 at 11:24 AM ET

Personally, I think spending one more year gunning for top talent instead of the playoffs is a good thing.

Posted by EthrDemon on 03/15/19 at 03:10 PM ET

If I had to guess, Blashill gets a one year contract extension to pair with Holland. After that it is likely Yzerman’s job to GM and hire the next coach.

It is almost unheard of for a new GM to come in and retain a head coach. New GMs want to shape the team in their way.

Wings brass shouldn’t even allow Holland to extend Blashill until they are certain Holland is staying on for next season.

Posted by evileye on 03/15/19 at 03:24 PM ET