Abel to Yzerman

Video- Adam Erne After Today’s Practice

I will add more to this post if needed.

added 2:59pm, Hronek is below as is Jeff Blashill.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

Paul's avatar

from Ansar Khan of Mlive,

Winger Evgeny Svechnikov, the top 2015 pick who missed all of 2018-19 due to ACL surgery, has skills and offensive ability. He worked in with the second line during Wednesday’s practice, but Blashill said he hasn’t decided when Svechnikov will play. If he doesn’t play with the Red Wings, he’ll surely be reassigned to the Grand Rapids Griffins because he needs to play somewhere.

“I take it game by game,” Blashill said. “I’m not necessarily searching to get Svech in a game, but if we think he gives us the best chance to win that night, we’ll put him in.

“Svech has only played one game in the last year of real hockey (last Saturday with the Griffins), and a couple exhibition games. It’s a lot to ask. But I’m glad he’s up here. He’s been rewarded for having a real good end to the camp and having a real good first game down there.”

more topics

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 10/09/19 at 03:32 PM ET

Paul's avatar

from the CP at the Toronto Star,

Dylan Larkin did a double-take the first time he saw the list.

The 23-year-old centre has led the Detroit Red Wings in scoring the last two seasons, is one of the fastest players in hockey and could captain his team one day. But sneaking into the top-50 ranking of EA Sports’ “NHL 20” video game?

That came as a surprise.

“I thought it was pretty high,” Larkin said of the 88 overall rating (out of 100) that earned him the No. 50 spot. “I never thought I’d be named in the top 50 NHL players in anything.

“Even though I know it’s a video game, it’s pretty cool.”

continued

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 10/09/19 at 04:58 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Brad Galli tweet,

Jonathan Ericsson doesn’t appear close to returning to game action for the Red Wings.

Jeff Blashill said today Ericsson’s hip, groin, and back issues leave the team without a timeline for a return.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 10/09/19 at 05:11 PM ET

Ericsson might be done playing…. which is probably why Stevie went out and traded for Biega.

As far as Svech, it appears his call up was primarily a monetary reward for him.  I’m sure he doesn’t mind not getting in any games at this point.  He’s worked hard rehabbing and coming back, so I’m sure the team wanted to reward him for that hard work and to keep him motivated to keep it up.

Posted by Matt_in_MI on 10/10/19 at 08:25 AM ET

I’m sure he doesn’t mind not getting in any games at this point.

I would assume the last thing he or the organization would want is for him to go an extended stretch without playing.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 10/10/19 at 09:01 AM ET

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 10/10/19 at 09:01 AM ET

Who said anything about an extended stretch without playing?  Blash said he isn’t really looking to get him into any games (in Det), so it sounds like he was called up just to get a few days of NHL pay…. I’m sure he’s getting send back to GR to play soon.  A few days of NHL pay, while not getting any NHL games, is what I was suggesting he wouldn’t mind…not sitting out for an extended stretch.

Posted by Matt_in_MI on 10/10/19 at 09:31 AM ET

Who said anything about an extended stretch without playing?

Um, I think I did. You quoted it, right? Seems like there’s no need to ask the question.

I understood that. Then I presented an alternate opinion.

What I’m suggesting is that since he missed an entire year and rehabbed and finally got back onto the ice, had a good pre-season and a good first game in GR and the last thing he needs -and the last thing that the organization should want- is for him to be sitting in a pressbox instead of playing, especially since there are multiple places he could be inserted into the lineup and could contribute.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 10/10/19 at 09:47 AM ET

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 10/10/19 at 09:47 AM ET

Check out the GR schedule, 10/5 opener and then nothing until 10/11-10/12. If he doesn’t get assigned after the game tonight/tomorrow morning then go ahead and plant that flag. But as it stands he’s getting NHL pay and not missing anything in GR.

Posted by MZ2215 on 10/10/19 at 10:54 AM ET