Abel to Yzerman

Video- 22 Years Ago Tonight

42 years without the Cup, then boom!

Watch the full game below.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

Alan's avatar

I’ll never forget watching this on TV.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 06/08/19 at 04:13 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

I was at a Wedding. The where 2 TV’s by the bar. Everyone was watching. When I was pulling into my garage, the final buzzer went off. Watched the celebration on TV. Never will forget it. grin

Posted by bigfrog on 06/08/19 at 04:58 PM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

Watched it at the bar with friends. I made a replica Stanley Cup out of a bowl and cardboard and then covered it in tinfoil and we all drank beer out of it.

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 06/08/19 at 05:06 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Also 17 years ago tonight Wings win Game 3 in Raleigh at 0105 Sunday morning late in the 3rd overtime.  It was my only SCF game that I’ve seen in person.  Got home to southside Richmond VA about 0530 Sunday morning.  June 8, 2002.

Had a hard ticket then before the .pdf tix were introduced.  A couple of years after the game I thought I’d be clever and run it through the copy machine so I would have a color copy of it.  Bad move, when scanned by the bright light of the printer/copier/fax machine it turned the ticket black and not much was readable on it lol.

Posted by RWBill on 06/08/19 at 05:16 PM ET

Paul's avatar

I was at the game, headed home to watch all the news stations with their coverage.

I lived in downtown Birmingham at the time (yes, life was good then) and heard some commotion going on.

My condo was right across from a bar called 220, looked out my window and saw the Cup going in.

Boom, in less than a minute, I am in the place.

Then headed to Dick O’Dows with the crowd.  Had the opportunity to lift the Cup over my head then, but uh oh, no camera.

Luckily I guy I knew was there too, he had a camera and the rest is history.

Made the picture into one of those plastic cutouts and it proudly stands in my house.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 06/08/19 at 05:24 PM ET

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 06/08/19 at 05:24 PM ET

Amazing story, Paul!

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 06/08/19 at 06:18 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

Great story Paul. cheese

Posted by bigfrog on 06/08/19 at 10:22 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Wow that is amazing Paul.  great story.

Posted by RWBill on 06/08/19 at 10:35 PM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

I was at Casey’s on Michigan Avenue in Detroit when the wings won the Cup. It was total non-violent chaos and an amazing celebration.  What a blast! Not sure how long Michigan Ave was shut down but it was getting light when I got to my side of town.

Great story Paul! You should put that picture of you lifting the cup over your head on the KK home page.
wink

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 06/08/19 at 11:07 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

Great story Paul.
I was working Detroit EMS at the time. I had worked the Grand Prix race and my Captain said they were looking for people to go to the game in uniform to show some uniform presence in case we won. I got in there for free and promptly changed into civilian clothes and most thoroughly enjoyed the rest of the night. I had to work at the race on the island the next morning and layed on the ambulance stretcher nursing one hell of a hangover with those Indy cars roaring a drill through my head. I’d do it again in a skinny minute.

Posted by cigar_nurse from On LTIR for the Greenville Pylons on 06/08/19 at 11:30 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Paul you should most definitely share that picture!

Posted by TreKronor on 06/09/19 at 09:53 AM ET