Abel to Yzerman

Underway Preps

This post is about as A2Y-specific as they come.  So, if you’re reading on the main page and you, you know, aren’t fond of us…you may want to just keep on moving.

By my calculations, and you all know that doesn’t exactly spell “precise”, I’ve got five games left in my season.  It could be more depending on satellite coverage in various parts of the world.  But all I know for certain is that I’ve got five left while stateside before heading out on a long, long, long pleasure cruise that’s gonna go right up to the parade I’ve confirmed is scheduled for Tuesday, June 14th in Hockeytown.  I bring this up now because there are a few things we have to discuss as we move closer to the departure date.

First: I’m going it alone.  What I mean by that is I’m gonna try and keep the blog going by myself.  Voox nailed it last year while I was gone and I apprceciate it, but I think he learned quickly that it can be a burden as much as it can be a blast.  He knows that he’s always got posting priveleges here, but I’m not going to put the whole deal on his shoulders.  You’ll still hear from Okie every game day, too.  I’ll be posting the Live Blogs and I’m going to see how the rest of it works: posting my opinion on the Wings and on other things without actually watching hockey.  You’ll have to keep in mind that if I don’t post for a while, it’s due to bandwidth issues at sea.

Secondly:  there is no secondly.  That was pretty much it.  Posting up to the time I leave is going to be a bit sporadic as I’ll be getting ready to go.  I’m telling you guys this because you need to know how this season’s gonna work here at A2Y, not to generate 19 “goodbye” comments.  None of you are ever shy about voicing your support for what I do as a day job and for what everyone in uniform does for a living. I appreciate those sentiments and there is no need to re-hash them here.  I got it. And I appreciate it.

Oh, and thirdly, because there’s always a thirdly:  There’s gonna be an H2H2.  And you’d better go because it’s going to be bigger, better and bitchier than last year.  Jen MacRostie and all those who made it happen last season have been working this one, literally, since the day after Herm hit Hockeytown.  Contact Jen for all the info you need: jennyquarx at gmail dot com.

Speaking of fourthly, I’ve been giggling like a little bitch at the Colin Campbell saga.  (a) because Tyler Dellow’s a great blogger and it’s absolutely awesome to see him getting cited all over the MSM for this thing.  (b) because so much about this league is a farce, and it’s great to see such bullshit exposed like this and (3)....

image

Looking like a group of geniuses right there, eh?  And check out Gramps in the middle.  Conspiracy theorists?

So…hey all you fuchsticks who claim our Tin Foil Hats have no merit?  Huh. What do you have to say now?  Still completely out of the realm of possibility that Gary Bettman’s hatred of Detroit, the Ilitch family and the Wings is that far fetched?  Really?  If Campbell is doing this, or was, has been, whatever…is it that hard to imagine an email trail with “Holmstrom” as a subject line?

On the Campbell thing, check out Mandingo’s comments over at the Emperor’s main page. He’s drilling it.

Okie Dokie then.  Enjoy your Tuesday bitches.

Oh wait…fifthly.  See this from Uncle Mike yesterday?  I’ll bet the Pimp and Ozzie are having themselves a hate-fest today.

It doesn’t appear as if Osgood is ready to return as Jimmy Howard’s backup for Wednesday’s game.

“He didn’t last seven minutes in practice, so I guess he’s not ready to practice,’’ Babcock said. “I thought he was staying out for practice. I didn’t even notice he was gone.”

Ok. Now I’m done.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous        < 1 2

RWBill's avatar

I’ve met George and only half of that statement is foreseeable.  Get well soon George.

Posted by calquake on 11/16/10 at 12:50 PM ET

OMG ROFL.  Hope to see you soon George.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 11/16/10 at 07:24 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from Warm and sunny SoCal on 11/16/10 at 02:33 PM ET

Thanks, now I’m on the way to gouge my eyes out even though I can’t “un-see” that.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 11/16/10 at 07:30 PM ET

calquake's avatar

That’s just the way it is.
- Bob Mackenzie.

Standard translation… “If you don’t like it, tough shit.”

It’s too bad I’m a hockey addict because I (as a fan) feel ignored, frustrated, insulted and laughed at… yes, laughed at by the “powers that be” in hockey.  I’m supposed to pay for my “priviledge” to attend games, get Center Ice or NHL Gamecenter and buy all the merch I can.  Meanwhile, a bunch of clowns (owners) run by a midget Ringmaster (you know who) bring the Circus (NHL) to town for all to marvel at.  But don’t look under the tent Sonny because you might not like what you see.

I have cancelled Center Ice as a first step in my withdrawl and will stop buying merch and attending games unless the NHL starts to get it’s collective sh!t together.  I know, I know… waving at windmills…who cares?  I do dammit!  I do.

Posted by calquake on 11/16/10 at 05:03 PM ET

Reposted here from another link where Bob Mackenzie (big shock) defends Campbell and the league.  Go figure.

Posted by calquake on 11/16/10 at 08:24 PM ET

Twig's avatar

good luck, chief.

Posted by Twig from Houston, TX on 11/16/10 at 08:26 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

good luck, chief.

We’re all counting on you.  smile

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 11/16/10 at 08:31 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

good luck, chief.
We’re all counting on you.
Posted by mrfluffy from Cincy on 11/16/10 at 05:31 PM

Nice Airplane! reference.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 11/16/10 at 08:41 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

I wonder if the Chief’s gig will finally put to rest the ugly rumor that surfaced on these pages last week that we’re all just a bunch of unemployable losers.  In any case, good luck to ya and we’ll save your seat at the lunchroom table.

Note to calquake, I feel ya.  When I think of all of us who through the years have been the “grassroots” fans of this game and how the NHL continues to be absurdly out of touch with its most hard-core “real” fans, it pisses me off fiercely.  Makes me wanna dash out lil’ Gary’s teeth with a polo mallet.

the appearance of impropriety is just as bad as real impropriety

So Colin Campbell and co. are judge, jury and executioner with what now appears to be extreme prejudice.  As I told people who claimed after the 2009 finals that my “crazy” theories were just “sour grapes”, there are people in Detroit (and elsewhere) who will go to their graves absolutely convinced that something wasn’t quite right about that series, which is something that this league absolutely cannot afford.

And yet the midget sword-swallower and his henchmen continue to operate with impunity (yes I’m lookin at you MSM) in spite of any damning documentation that might arise.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 11/16/10 at 09:47 PM ET

pucked up's avatar

Fair winds and a following sea, Chief.

Posted by calquake on 11/16/10 at 05:03 PM ET

Was tempted to do the same but my boy is just starting to watch the games with me. He at 10 has already grown disillusioned with the NBA and MLB because of all the scandal and crap that he hears in grammar school if you can believe that.  I hate not being willing to boycott some of the NHL (never the Wings) to make a point that the fans are the bread and butter of the league and we’re being disrespected and really shat upon, but I hate even more the idea of not fostering my kid’s growing interest in hockey.  It’s a fine line and I’m super pissed that I have to even draw it.

Posted by pucked up on 11/16/10 at 10:07 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

Good chance we’ll have to install an ice rink, a Hockeytown sign and bleachers on a flight deck, invite two NHL teams, and set Voox up to serve drinks out of a tomahawk shell filled with ice.

this only sounds like the most bad ass winter classic ever!!

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 11/16/10 at 10:16 PM ET

The very fact that Mackenzie, one of the most popular voices of the NHL MSM, basically defends the “old boy network” by dismissively and condescendingly saying, “That’s the way it is,” further deepens my hate for this league’s braintrust.  They’re taking us fans for granted.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 11/16/10 at 10:25 PM ET

pgoody's avatar

throw on the ATDHE feed for the PHI v MON game… they have the best names for penalties… Pronger got 2 mins for shooting the puck over the glass (def. zone)... guess what the penalty was called?

retarde le match

Posted by pgoody on 11/16/10 at 10:27 PM ET

Leafs give up two goals in ten seconds.  3-nil Preds over the Leafs.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 11/16/10 at 10:32 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

Posted by pucked up on 11/16/10 at 07:07 PM ET

Wow.  Sounds like we’re in pretty much the same situation.  My own son turns eleven in January and so far I’ve kept the CI package because he is into the sport in such a huge way.  Having said that though, my son also routinely refers to the commissioner as “Buttman” and once refused to wear a Reebok shirt because of their association with Rosby, so I can foresee a time when he just might understand his old man’s frustration with the league

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 11/16/10 at 10:51 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

sooo…you’re going to do it just like the “professional” journalists of the Detroit media?  sweet.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 11/16/10 at 11:27 PM ET

Dude on sportsnet’s coverage of the NSH/TOR game said at the first intermission (paraphrasing here), “It’s unfair for the rich teams to sign players to long term contracts while the small market teams suffer for it.”

I still don’t get it.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 11/16/10 at 11:28 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

I still don’t get it.

it’s socialism.  it’s not “fair” for those who are smarter, work harder, and have more success to, well…have more success.  so we must stack the deck against them to even things out.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 11/16/10 at 11:41 PM ET

Thanks, man.  Sounds like another Bettman apologist/hypocrite.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 11/16/10 at 11:48 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Posted by pucked up on 11/16/10 at 07:07 PM ET
Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 11/16/10 at 07:51 PM ET

I would be in the same boat as both of you if I had a son.  I wish there was a way for fans to protest in a manner that would get the attntion of the NHL.  I am coming perilously close to swearing off the sport I love.  If there is another strike/lockout I am finished with hockey.  Maybe reading isn’t such a bad hobby afterall.  grin

Posted by calquake on 11/16/10 at 11:58 PM ET

jennyquarx's avatar

While it does suck to feel like the league doesn’t give a crap about fans, OUR team does, so I will not be cancelling Center Ice or any of that stuff.  Maybe I’m just trying to be glass half full here.  I also am in the process of hockey indoctrination with a small child and I’m not about to change that.

Safe travels, Chief.  Wish you could be back in time for H2H2.

Speaking of which, some of you here have mentioned you’ll be there but I don’t have emails from you so get on that ASAP.

Posted by jennyquarx on 11/16/10 at 11:59 PM ET

Gumby's avatar

Good luck Chief.  Thanks for keeping us safe!

Posted by Gumby from the city with more ruins than Rome on 11/17/10 at 12:01 AM ET

Jennemy of the Skate's avatar

Stupid real life getting in the way of our fake get-togethers…. Stay safe and good travels, Chief. Your head on a stick seems to get to more games than you do. That’s a problem we will have to remedy for H2H3, dammit.

Posted by Jennemy of the Skate from the bar car on the stress train on 11/17/10 at 12:14 AM ET

Little Redhead's avatar

Thanks Chief and God Speed!

Missed H2H, looking forward to meeting ya all at H2H2 and seeing a game at the Joe, and hopefully future H2HX’s!

Lets Go Red WINGS!!!

Posted by Little Redhead from the Engineer's chair on 11/17/10 at 01:11 AM ET

HockeyTownTodd's avatar

Posted by calquake

Posted by SYF

Sorry fellas,
I did not read it that way at all.  Mackenzie wrote a pretty decent, in depth article explaining why nothing will be done.

Posted by calquake

I don’t know how to break this to you, Cal...(you’re sitting down, right)
We’ll both be long gone before that happens.

Outside of H2H, ‘93’ was the last time I spent anything on tickets or merchandise for the exact same reasons.  Everything I have with a logo on it were gifts.  I have attended a few games, but the tickets were also gifts.

Posted by HockeyTownTodd on 11/17/10 at 01:22 AM ET

Primis's avatar

I know you hate me my opinions Chief, but give em’ hell wherever you go or are at.

Posted by Primis on 11/17/10 at 01:38 AM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

Posted by Primis on 11/16/10 at 10:38 PM ET

Ha. Primis…we may not always agree but I definitely respect your opinions, brother.  Thanks.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 11/17/10 at 01:44 AM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

Thanks for your service, Chief.

Ha.
If you look over Gramps shoulder, it would appear I was the only one still able to stand at the time that picture above was taken.

Lookin forward to H2H2.

And, yes, Tin Foil Hats will be in order.

L.G.R.W.

Oh, George? Glad to hear we’re gonna be hearing from you here soon.  grin

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 11/17/10 at 02:01 AM ET

calquake's avatar

Sorry fellas,

Sorry Gramps, spin it anyway you want but he was defending Campbell.

I don’t know how to break this to you, Cal…(you’re sitting down, right)
We’ll both be long gone before that happens.
Posted by HockeyTownTodd from A. K. A. NostraGrampus on 11/16/10 at 10:22 PM ET

I know we’ll both be gone HTT, I was venting.  However my stance remains the same… if there is another strike/lockout I am done with hockey.

Posted by calquake on 11/17/10 at 02:55 AM ET

Sullyosis's avatar

Posted by calquake on 11/16/10 at 11:55 PM ET

Just do what I do.  Be done with ‘hockey’ and say F*** the ‘NHL’ and don’t follow it.

But still follow the Red Wings.  At least they are good to the fans.

Posted by Sullyosis from A hateful lair in Post Apocalyptic US (or Arizona) on 11/17/10 at 03:26 AM ET

Baroque's avatar

Gives a new feeling to the “over the glass” penalties. Those pucks aren’t coming back. smile

Be safe, Bill, and I hope your family is the same until you are back together. Happy Thanksgiving, Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, and all that (just in case you don’t get to check in to get the holiday greetings on time).

Posted by Baroque from Michigan on 11/17/10 at 09:28 AM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

I knew from the very beginning that all the sh!t the Wings have been through at times has been a fuching put up job. Ole Collie has been caught and make no mistake, He has hung himself with his own words.

He has no business in this league and should be fired promptly. Sh!t talkin’ aboot others in the work place(I do not care if the email is private, it was used in Court so it is now public record) is unprofessional and, is all connected to this mess.

In other news, as my Grandma would say,“Farewell” Chief. Godspeed on your journey. Merry Everything, Happy Everything, and may God Bless you and yours.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!