Abel to Yzerman

Uncle Mike: Top Two Lines Are Best The NHL Has Ever Seen

No. He didn't say that.  Not even to Helene via text or message over the PS3.  But this will be cool for the three days Babcock actually keeps the line together...

Babcock said he'll use his two-best players, Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg, on the same line at the start of the season, which is expected to begin with games at St. Louis Jan. 19 and Columbus Jan. 21, barring a change in the schedule.

“They've been playing (in Europe) and they're in shape,'' Babcock said. “They play good together. Last year they started out slow, never got going.''

He said 26-year-old rookie Damien Brunner will start on that line. He's the leading scorer in the Swiss league, where he has formed great chemistry with Zetterberg.

And, just like all 19 of us, our Uncle is absolutely convinced Johan Franzen will be ready to go right from the jump and sustain a high level of play through August 11th when Gary says the Finals will end.

Valtteri Filppula, who's expected back soon from his sprained knee, will center the second line with Johan Franzen and Mikael Samuelsson. Filppula is coming off career highs in goals (23) and points (66). Franzen has scored 57 goals the past two seasons but has been inconsistent. The club is hoping Samuelsson, back after leaving in 2009, can make up for some of the offense lost with Jiri Hudler's departure.

“That gives us two Grade A top units,'' Babcock said. “Zetterberg and Datsyuk are going to be a tandem, as will Franzen and Filppula. The wingers can rotate.''

More...

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous        < 1 2 3 4 5 >  Last ›      Next »

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 01/13/13 at 08:42 AM ET

Thanks Kate.  And yes, I am very proud of them.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 01/13/13 at 02:29 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Jeff, I’m looking for the thumbs up - like button but can’t find it.

Posted by RWBill from #savethelivingroom #ihateCartmanbrah on 01/13/13 at 03:13 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

So, the kukla’s korner server now divides comment pages at 40 instead of 50?

Posted by RWBill from #savethelivingroom #ihateCartmanbrah on 01/13/13 at 03:51 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

I’ve been doing some prescouting so I don’t have to miss so much of the games to provide “intermission entertainment”.

If the masses do not object, I may even dabble with a few strawberrys…

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 01/13/13 at 08:32 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

$60 shmixty even if I know have Direct TV…I’m still uh…pirating…um…you know.

Heh…pirating…Jasmine…booty.

What?

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 01/13/13 at 08:46 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

I know I’m asking for trouble…but I have a link with feeds for nearly every sports event..anywhere.  PM me if you’re interseted.

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 01/14/13 at 12:03 AM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

So $60 or $1.25 for a 48 game schedule, x 30 teams, but lets be real, how often do I watch much of other teams games?

Last couple of seasons it was what, $149 for 82 games, or upwards of $1.75 per game?

So the rate is down from last year, still I wish they’d gone down farther, like Jasmine.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 01/13/13 at 10:21 AM ET

And… games broadcast on NBC, NBCSN and NHL Network are not included in Center Ice/Gamecenter.  I looked at the Wings schedule, and 21 games are being broadcast on those three networks.  So… for your $60, you’re only getting 27 games.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 01/14/13 at 10:04 AM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Also, starting last season, there were no playoff games at all included in the package.  NBC and NBCSN showed all the playoff games.  In previous seasons, Center Ice included the first couple rounds of the playoffs so you could still see Ken and Mick.

It just gets worse every year.

I’m not buying, just pointing these things out for people who are considering it.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 01/14/13 at 10:08 AM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

From PuckDaddy (Ryan Lambert - - for what its worth)  - - one of these predictions is just funny, and one hits terrifyingly close to home:

15. Jiri Hudler and Dennis Wideman will both make a real strong case for “Dumbest Jay Feaster signing of the summer.” Hudler wins by a slim margin.

16. Detroit will barely squeeze into the playoffs because their defense is terrible, and they get routed in the first round. Jimmy Howard looks decidedly human all of a sudden.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 01/14/13 at 10:58 AM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Yes, I know…consider the source…but somewhere this was posted as a possible trade-

To Montreal:
Filppula
Nyquist
Jurco
Ouellet
2nd 2013

To Detroit:
Subban

What is this, April 1st?

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 01/14/13 at 11:01 AM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Seems Yahoo aren’t the only Eeyores out there, from The Hockey News:

7 DETROIT RED WINGS

Why: Welcome to the Twilight Zone. Detroit, on the playoff bubble? It feels odd to even type those words, but the Red Wings’ off-season was disastrous. They lost their best defenseman ever, Nicklas Lidstrom, to retirement, and traded Brad Stuart. The assumption was they’d land a big free agent fish or two to replace them, but GM Ken Holland swung and missed.  Even if rookie Brendan Smith shines, the Wings can’t possibly replace what they’ve lost on the back end. . . .

The Wings remain a playoff team, but aren’t a serious Cup threat anymore.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 01/14/13 at 11:27 AM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

The Wings remain a playoff team, but aren’t a serious Cup threat anymore.

Nor were we a threat last year…
Or the year before that.
Or the year before that.
I think there’s a pattern here.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 01/14/13 at 11:30 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

I had seen that figure of 20 some Wings games on national TV which will be blacked out on Center Ice.  That ends up being aboot $2.50 per game then for just those on Center Ice.  If one watches a lot of other teams it’s still a deal, but I don’t on a regular basis.  Tough call now, i’ve got to watch them somewhere.  Bootleg links seemed to be hit and miss the last 2 years.

Bogus, dude.

Posted by RWBill from #savethelivingroom #ihateCartmanbrah on 01/14/13 at 05:38 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Gamecenter Live is $49.99 for the “full season”.  I don’t give a shit how many games it is, I’m a spineless whore and that sounds like a bargain to me.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 01/14/13 at 07:10 PM ET

monkey's avatar

I get all those other networks, but I agree it sounds like a real rip-off for anyone who doesn’t.  Center Ice is, as I understand it, totally awesome for anyone who lives outside North America.  They get every single game, usually both feeds.  “How it should be”.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 01/14/13 at 07:30 PM ET

dougie's avatar

I just talked to Jasmine again, and she said to tell you that if $10 was such a deal breaker for you, you should take a hard look at your “Extenze” habit. She was pretty lathered up.

Don’t disappoint Jasmine.

Posted by dougie on 01/14/13 at 08:19 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Well, with center ice i do get to use the dvr and all the recording and buffering tricks, so i can join in late and catch up by the start of the second period live.  Might actually be able to do that with gamecenter too.

Posted by RWBill from #savethelivingroom #ihateCartmanbrah on 01/14/13 at 08:50 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

SO I"ve just spent the last three hours trolling youtube for stuff.

Oh yeah.

I’m ready for the season to start.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp5HzFHaar4    you’ll want to go to the 35:15 point for this one

You’ll want to watch this one twice:

And this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AraCMoTJ0Jk  The good part starts at 7:10

And what the hell is this DMac and Turtle together in a show?  Disclaimer…if you don’t want to NOT hate him quite so much…don’t watch this.

And here is “Footies” face hitting the glass…I love this hit

And now for some chills:

Turn up the volume on this one…...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtFZyQ49JCI

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 01/14/13 at 10:45 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

Also as a personal favor to me, please send this video to everybdoy you know.

A friend of mine made it…I’m doing it mostly just cuz I’m drunk and wanted to mess with him.

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 01/15/13 at 12:02 AM ET

monkey's avatar

$10 is not a deal breaker for me, however I don’t have Directv.  I do, however, have a Roku, and I’m thinking about getting one of them Wii doo hickies.  Gamecenter Live it shall be.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 01/15/13 at 07:31 AM ET

monkey's avatar

“Extenze”  hahaha.  The main ingredient is lead.  That doesn’t enhance anything in a positive way.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 01/15/13 at 07:33 AM ET

jennyquarx's avatar

$60 is a bargain.  But it might actually be cheaper because GCL is $50.  I saw some tweets this morning that CI will also be $50, but whatever, I’ll give them my money.  I would have paid more.  I’m out of market, I watch more than the Wings, I don’t care.  I did nothing to start this lockout, I could not have prevented it, and not getting CI hurts only me.

RWBill - get Hopslam.  It is amazing.  It is expensive.  But it is worth it.  Do you get Sixpoint?  They have one called Resin.  It’s a double IPA.  It’s delicious. Deschutes has a white IPA called Chainbreaker. They don’t distribute here but it’s killer.

Posted by jennyquarx on 01/15/13 at 09:27 AM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 01/14/13 at 08:50 PM ET

Bill, you can “join in late and catch up” on Gamecenter too, just can’t record, of course.

I know $50 doesn’t sound like much, but I’m still too p!ssed at the league to give them any money.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 01/15/13 at 10:26 AM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

I have subscribed to the Center Ice package since it was available. I may have to break down and pay for it.
I won’t need my lipstick this time around, because, I’m not even gettin’ kissed while I’m being fuched.

Thanks Gary. A$$.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 01/15/13 at 10:52 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Yeah. I’m going to pay.  The features/quality of CI & GCL are still better than the streaming options and while I know there are plenty of opinions out there about the moral justifications of watching streams that are illegal in the US, I just don’t want to deal with the headache of the (infinitesimally small) risk of being caught.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 01/15/13 at 11:08 AM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 01/15/13 at 11:08 AM ET

And the malware.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 01/15/13 at 11:13 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

I will look for the Hopslam, I’m sure I have had it.  I’ll have to go to Total Wine and stock up on IPAs for a good Red Wings welcoming weekend.  Everything Bell’s brews seems to be best in class or outstanding in ts own right.

OBTW 42Jeff, did I ask you this before, don’t think so, have you ever seen the show Ice Pilots about the family airline that flies mostly air breathing relics of the 40s and 50s because they can land on short strips?  I think it’s named Buffalo Air out of Yellowknife.  I think I did discuss that with someone here, come to think of it.

Posted by RWBill from #savethelivingroom #ihateCartmanbrah on 01/15/13 at 11:19 AM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Thanks Gary. A$$.

Kate, you made me snort coffee out my nose!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 01/15/13 at 11:22 AM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

I’m going to try and get by listening to Ken and Paul on radio, then watching highlights after.

I’m also too scared of malware, etc. to watch the free on line feeds.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 01/15/13 at 11:23 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

Yes, every bootleg link starts popping up windows or providing additional links, so I’ll probably go with Center Ice.

I got a user name with one dude and it worked very well, was it “RedWingsLive”?  They may have shut him down too but that was the best one for Red Wings games.  You had to request a user name and log in but I dont think there was any advertising or malware.

Posted by RWBill from #savethelivingroom #ihateCartmanbrah on 01/15/13 at 11:24 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

Ms Red Winger do you get those other national channels that are going to carry 20+ Red Wings games?  That’s nearly half the season without paying any subscription .

Posted by RWBill from #savethelivingroom #ihateCartmanbrah on 01/15/13 at 11:26 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

Schedule with TV network

Ms Red Winger do you have Bright House cable?  Where my daughter lives near Daytona they have a sports package that includes Fox Sports Detroit.  Not sure how much $$ that is but I remember it was quite an assortment of stations and FSD will carry 41 games this season.  You could cancel after the hockey season.

Posted by RWBill from #savethelivingroom #ihateCartmanbrah on 01/15/13 at 11:50 AM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Ill be ponying up the coins for CenterIce on Dish.

Not a fan of SBNation, but this snippet from their Central Division preview regarding Detroyet is just funny:

Offseason Changes: Nicklas Lidstrom retired. That’s all that matters. The Vatican is awaiting confirmation of his three miracles.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 01/15/13 at 11:56 AM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 01/15/13 at 11:26 AM ET

Yes, I do.  smile

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 01/15/13 at 12:24 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 01/15/13 at 11:50 AM ET

Yes, I do and yes, I have that sports package and yes, it includes FSD.  But the Wings games are blacked out.  I do get to see the pre-game and post-game shows sometimes and also “Wingspan.”  Thanks for thinking of me!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 01/15/13 at 12:26 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

What the Hell!  Blacked Out!  Why?  Damn I really appreciate the information, she may have subscribed to it to see the games.  MoFo!

Posted by RWBill from #savethelivingroom #ihateCartmanbrah on 01/15/13 at 01:10 PM ET

SnLO's avatar

it includes FSD.  But the Wings games are blacked out.

What the Hell!  Blacked Out!  Why

That way they get people to subscribe to Center Ice, NBA, College sports package, and/or NFL ticket for an additional fee.

Simplistically, there was a time (a decade and a half ago) where if you subscribed to the sports package with all the local networks, you could get the games too. But CBS and Fox joined in a law suit against DirecTV over market right infringement (or whatever) over NFL games on national network broadcasts into (read competing) local markets. Needless to say, the networks won. Effectively locking up the whole thing into the black-out and restricted-choice crap we have to deal with today.

Posted by SnLO from beyond the M-1 on 01/15/13 at 01:48 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Posted by SnLO from the Auto Show on 01/15/13 at 01:48 PM ET

Bill, what he said.  ^

BUT, I just checked my channel guide and the Red Wings/Griffins scrimmage tonight at 6 PM is ON!  I guess it’s not blacked out because it’s not an NHL event.  Anyway, YIPPEE and I hope your daughter gets to watch.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 01/15/13 at 02:48 PM ET

RorSchach's avatar

Anyone have a way of being able to watch the Scrimmage tonight? Free case of PBR..Warm.

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 01/15/13 at 03:31 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

RorSchach, do you have FSD?

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 01/15/13 at 04:14 PM ET