Abel to Yzerman

Uncle Mike: Top Two Lines Are Best The NHL Has Ever Seen

No. He didn't say that.  Not even to Helene via text or message over the PS3.  But this will be cool for the three days Babcock actually keeps the line together...

Babcock said he'll use his two-best players, Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg, on the same line at the start of the season, which is expected to begin with games at St. Louis Jan. 19 and Columbus Jan. 21, barring a change in the schedule.

“They've been playing (in Europe) and they're in shape,'' Babcock said. “They play good together. Last year they started out slow, never got going.''

He said 26-year-old rookie Damien Brunner will start on that line. He's the leading scorer in the Swiss league, where he has formed great chemistry with Zetterberg.

And, just like all 19 of us, our Uncle is absolutely convinced Johan Franzen will be ready to go right from the jump and sustain a high level of play through August 11th when Gary says the Finals will end.

Valtteri Filppula, who's expected back soon from his sprained knee, will center the second line with Johan Franzen and Mikael Samuelsson. Filppula is coming off career highs in goals (23) and points (66). Franzen has scored 57 goals the past two seasons but has been inconsistent. The club is hoping Samuelsson, back after leaving in 2009, can make up for some of the offense lost with Jiri Hudler's departure.

“That gives us two Grade A top units,'' Babcock said. “Zetterberg and Datsyuk are going to be a tandem, as will Franzen and Filppula. The wingers can rotate.''

More...

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous       ‹ First  < 3 4 5 6 >       Next »

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Oops. Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 01/16/13 at 01:24 PM ET

From bleacher report

In regard to potential conference realignment, Holland said that as much as the Wings would prefer to move to a more Eastern-centric configuration, they recently agreed to a compromise with the NHL Board of Governors that would put them in an eight-team conference in which most of the teams would be in the Central Time Zone.

“We’re hoping that they’re still going to go ahead with the realignment,” Holland said. “It was more important for us that we play everybody in the league at least once every year and that our fans don’t have to go through as many 10 o’clock starts as they have in the past.”

CT?  Durrrrrr.  That could mean anyone from Nashville to Minny to Dallas to Chicago.  Actually, off the top of my head that could be all of them, plus Winnipeg?

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 01/16/13 at 05:57 PM ET

+ St Louise.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 01/16/13 at 05:58 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Rangers just put Redden on waivers. How bad is he? A possible D man for the Wings?

Not good enough to pick him up off waivers.  His contract is beyond absurd.  After he is bought out he may be an interesting guy to sign.  Same goes for Scott Gomez.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 01/16/13 at 07:56 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Andreas Lilja also on waivers.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 01/16/13 at 08:14 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Tom Renney in charge of the whiskey-laden PP (in the final 51 games they capitalized on only 20-of-168 chances (11.9 percent).

Get your voodoo dolls ready, and scout the neighborhood for target worthy pets.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 01/16/13 at 09:46 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Get your voodoo dolls ready, and scout the neighborhood for target worthy pets.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 01/16/13 at 08:46 PM ET

One of my cats has been acting like a little bitch lately, some one to keep in mind.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 01/17/13 at 12:08 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

I cannot believe you guys (and gals). WTF are you trying to do? Encourage these greedy bastids to engage in even more work stoppages? Fer chrissakes don’t waste money on CI or GCL, at least not this season.

There are 20 games on NBC, NBCSN and NHL that those expats outside the homeland can watch without dropping a dime into Lil’ gary’s greedy pockets. (Yes, I’m aware that a portion of my cable bill goes to the NHL, but it goes whether I want it to or not because of the package tier structures).

At least make them sweat a little before going back with your hard earned cash next season. If the owners see revenue this season on a per game basis any where close to where it was last year, then y’all are ensuring another lock out in 8 years.

Want to support Ilitch? Buy a ticket to the Joe. But PLEASE don’t give the NHL any more $$$ than it will already receive from your cable sports pkg subscription.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 01/17/13 at 02:14 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from Warm and sunny SoCal on 01/17/13 at 01:14 PM ET

What if I want to watch all the games?

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 01/17/13 at 02:39 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

What if I want to watch all the games?
Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 01/17/13 at 01:39 PM ET

Lack of CI or GCL never stopped anyone around here before.

Note that again the law speaks to transmission not reception.

When you receive a video stream, e.g. TV feed, your computer arguably makes at least one temporary copy (which is what “buffering” is technically about), which is subsequently destroyed unless you are allowed to download and/or save it and do so. If you use a DVR or computer to time shift, you are certainly making a copy. However, the current law has not really caught up with technology yet, and arguably fails to say that receipt and possession of a single buffer copy (even if unauthorized) is an infringement.

With the increasing ability of content owners to track file sharing to IP addresses and then subpoena identities of owners of those addresses, the copyright cheats have moved on to video streaming and the law has yet to really catch up. But copyright owners are rich, well lobbied, and very influential, so stay tuned as the law is likely to address and outlaw streaming of unauthorized content and technology may well catch up to make it somehow possible for copyright owners to capture the identity of the recipient of the unauthorized streams.

Apparently, the UFC sued Justin.tv and lost:

Though the UFC was able to take down greenfeedz, at least one lawyer thinks they’ll have a tough tie making a case against those that just watched (as opposed to broadcasting) the streams.

I’m just posting links. I’m not offering a legal opinion. I don’t practice that area of law. As noted in the links, If you get sued, it can get very expensive to prove you were right.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 01/17/13 at 03:05 PM ET

monkey's avatar

I cannot believe you guys (and gals). WTF are you trying to do?

Because I’m a John and she’s my whore!  I wish I could quit you!

Posted by monkey from Finland on 01/17/13 at 03:29 PM ET

Colquhoun's avatar

I cannot believe you guys (and gals). WTF are you trying to do?

I am weak.

Posted by Colquhoun on 01/17/13 at 03:38 PM ET

monkey's avatar

He is now UFA.  I would not be surprised if the Wings were interested at the right price, but ironically enough, someone is going to overpay.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 01/17/13 at 07:46 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Because I’m a John and she’s my whore!  I wish I could quit you!
Posted by monkey from All hands, abandon ship. This is not a drill. on 01/17/13 at 02:29 PM ET

I am weak.
Posted by Colquhoun on 01/17/13 at 02:38 PM ET

Lol..  And because what 1,000 or 500,000 do this month will have no impact whatsoever on any lockout or absence of lockout in the year 2021.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 01/17/13 at 07:47 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Oh- Helene already said know.  Kenny must have Skyped her.  If Helene says, take it to the bank.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 01/17/13 at 07:50 PM ET

monkey's avatar

“Helene already said no”.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 01/17/13 at 07:51 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Redden is not even very good, an actual minor leaguer the last 2 years, no?

If Coley and Redden end up our 3rd or God forbid 2d D pairing we truly will not make the playoffs.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 01/17/13 at 07:51 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

You getting snow in Roanoke?

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 01/17/13 at 07:52 PM ET

monkey's avatar

You getting snow in Roanoke?

Oh hell yeah.  It’s beautiful.  I’m glad I took care of everything and hunkered down early though.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 01/17/13 at 07:56 PM ET

monkey's avatar

What’s going down your way?

Posted by monkey from Finland on 01/17/13 at 07:56 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Redden is not even very good, an actual minor leaguer the last 2 years, no?

He got buried because he was WAY overpaid.  They made his cap hit disappear.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 01/17/13 at 07:57 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Redden’s cap hit is the only thing that kept him out of the NHL for the last two years. He’s almost definitely good enough to play at an NHL level, but he’s probably going to have to start on a 3rd pair and work his way up from there.

I think the Wings are holding pat because they’ve probably talked to Redden’s agent and have already figured that they’re not going to give him as much as some other team is going to. The $1.65M Sheldon Souray success story last season is probably fairly comparable, but I’m not sure Redden would be willing to do a one-year deal (make no mistake, I’d like if the Wings had thrown that salary at him… I just think he’ll probably get more money and/or term than that from somewhere else).

Hell, for all we know, this could be the Wings downplaying their interest in order to keep from having to bid against themselves…though I doubt that.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 01/17/13 at 08:15 PM ET

monkey's avatar

I just love the irony.  Wade Redden getting overpaid.  Love it, love it, love it.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 01/17/13 at 08:58 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

$6M for an avERAGE deFENSEMAN is ovERPAID?  What planet do you live on?

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 01/18/13 at 01:30 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

OK, what will Chief come up with for what may be his first LB intro done from Stateside in 2 years?

dougie's avatar

We need to jump in with both feet with “Hit Me ,Mick”. I still grit my teeth whenever I think of the lockout.

Imma need to drink heavily to keep the bile down for a few games.

Posted by dougie on 01/18/13 at 01:54 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

I guess Redden is the Blooze’s problem now.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 01/18/13 at 02:41 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

grin

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 01/18/13 at 03:05 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Imma need to drink heavily to keep the bile down for a few games.

Posted by dougie on 01/18/13 at 12:54 PM ET

Start drinking now!  Wings starters are dropping like flies, more strained groins than that weekend with Linda Lovelace.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 01/18/13 at 06:54 PM ET

NHL Center Ice $49.99

2013-01-18 05.57.21 pm

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 01/18/13 at 07:01 PM ET

Even better news, sorta.

I talked to Comcast and they said I was a day too early to sign up for NHL Center Ice!

However, he did quote me “because of the shortened season it is $44.99.”

I found that interesting, and will believe it tomorrow if it is actually offered to me at that price.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 01/18/13 at 07:40 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

That would be about 60% duration of a regular 82 game season for 33% cost of a full season’s Center Ice.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 01/18/13 at 07:42 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Well, shit, $800,000 for one year isn’t overpaid.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 01/18/13 at 08:24 PM ET

Patrick Eaves is back?

Posted by monkey from Finland on 01/18/13 at 08:25 PM ET

Start drinking now!

Always a good decision.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 01/18/13 at 08:27 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Imma need to drink heavily to keep the bile down for a few games.

Are you sure that isn’t a side effect of your Extenze habit?

Posted by monkey from Finland on 01/18/13 at 08:27 PM ET

petshark's avatar

Had to stop and say thanks for making me laugh.

Posted by petshark from Nor Cal, and on Twitter @petshark47 on 01/18/13 at 09:11 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

It’s Red Wing’s Eve. Bitches.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 01/18/13 at 09:17 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

WOO!

What do you think the fat bearded man in the red suit (AkA - Bertuzzi) will bring us?

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 01/18/13 at 11:31 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Bertuzzi stopped by all pissed because he’s out with a 37 year old groin, so I gave him my cat that’s been acting all high and mighty.  He just said, “grrrrrr”, or something, and stuffed it into a canvas bag and trudged through the covering of wet snow off into the woods.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 01/19/13 at 12:41 AM ET

« Previous       ‹ First  < 3 4 5 6 >       Next »