Abel to Yzerman

Unbelievable? No

Just when you think you can't see anything more from this team that will shock you, they give you tonite.

Stunning.

I guess it was sloppy? That's what George said.  He's more hockey savvy than I am.

To me?

It was perfect. Perfect road hockey. Perfect hockey by an "underdog." Perfect hockey by a team that has been convinced by the world's best coach that they can win this series.

I have to tell you. I'd grown tired of the constant, overbearing "speed" references. I couldn't believe that it would be so dramatic. But it was.  And the Bruins are now left wondering, because it wasn't just the speed through the neutral zone, or in their own zone. It was speed to the puck. All over.

I'm a little floored right now. Was it sloppy? Did the powerplay suck? Did we have some giveaways? Yes.

But the chances were ours. A majority of the chances belonged to Detroit. This could have been 3-0.

Don't ever doubt this team. Not for the next six or seven years.  No matter what happens, this team is stacked and in it for the long haul.

15 to 12.  Unbelievable? No.  Perfect? Hell yes.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

1 2 >       Next »

Jaromir Blogger's avatar

I thought the Wings rocked out there.

Posted by Jaromir Blogger on 04/18/14 at 09:15 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

I thought it was a perfect last 50 minutes.
Boston needs to keep playing like Tootoo, just go after the hits and forget about the puck that Detroit’s sticks are winning.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 04/18/14 at 09:15 PM ET

aerodude's avatar

Datsuyk with the sneaky raccoon hands.

15 to 12? Yes please.

Posted by aerodude on 04/18/14 at 09:16 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

sloppy????  hell no!  it was exactly what Detroit wanted, let our quicker skates and sticks get to the puck and keep it in our offensive zone.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 04/18/14 at 09:17 PM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

I spent 57 minutes absolutely certain the Wings would lose this game. I swear to god I’m still in shock. James Tiberius Motherfuching Howard.

I really like this fuching team.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 04/18/14 at 09:18 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

What a WIN! I really like our Team! Bitches.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 04/18/14 at 09:19 PM ET

Bruins fan:  “I hate playing against Datsyuk.”

And that Russian puck-savant isn’t even entirely healthy.

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 04/18/14 at 09:19 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

Hi all. Just thought I would post this little ditty posted earlier in the day. I’m guessing he won’t be posting in here tonight.

“RedWings Jimmy Howard has never won a Game 1 on the road, going 0-6 with a 2.82 GAA”

sorry, folks.

Posted by THRILLHO on 04/18/14 at 02:29 PM ET
tongue wink

Posted by Down River Dan on 04/18/14 at 09:23 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

The hits will hurt, but this team has no clue how to beat the Winged Wheel.

Fuch the Bruins. 15 to 12.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 04/18/14 at 09:23 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

I agree with you, Chief.  “Stunning” and “perfect” it was.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 04/18/14 at 09:24 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Did anyone notice the look in Datsyuk’s eyes after he scored? Possessed.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 04/18/14 at 09:25 PM ET

Jaromir Blogger's avatar

Although the Bruins had plenty of very good chances, the Wings developed a killer instinct in the second period that just didn’t go away. You knew they were going to find a way.

And they are starting to get in the Bruins’ heads a wee bit - let’s hope they never leave.

Posted by Jaromir Blogger on 04/18/14 at 09:25 PM ET

Put that game on canvas and sign it Babcock, it would bring a fortune.

Posted by jhpcarrier97 on 04/18/14 at 09:27 PM ET

Alan's avatar

We are fuching amazing. End of story.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 04/18/14 at 09:30 PM ET

I just the play was to be fast and hard on the puck, the way it was taught all year.

The game was as close as it is supposed to be during the playoffs.

Of course, another Wing got speared and the blind mice couldn’t see it.

But a win is a win to build on.

Posted by bobbo on 04/18/14 at 09:32 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

?1397872750

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 04/18/14 at 09:36 PM ET

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 04/18/14 at 10:36 PM ET

Bruins fan:  “I hate playing against Datsyuk.”

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 04/18/14 at 09:37 PM ET

MsRedWingFan's avatar

My dog loves the Red Wings ... he will go bark at the TV when a commercial comes on ....

Posted by MsRedWingFan from West Michigan hometown of Abdelkader on 04/18/14 at 09:38 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Put that game on canvas and sign it Babcock, it would bring a fortune.

Posted by jhpcarrier97 on 04/18/14 at 10:27 PM ET

the plan was excellent to take advantage of our strengths, and executed perfectly.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 04/18/14 at 09:39 PM ET

MsRedWingFan's avatar

dang it posted the wrong picture

Posted by MsRedWingFan from West Michigan hometown of Abdelkader on 04/18/14 at 09:40 PM ET

I hardly recognized our D tonight. This can’t be the same error-prone D we have seen all season…is it???

Jimmy was good and a bit lucky a couple ofttimes but the team, as a whole, were better than the Bruins.

Posted by NewfieWing on 04/18/14 at 09:51 PM ET

NIVO's avatar

All thuggery does is get you a Red Wings goal, so yea Boston, keep it up. And to Loosedick, I hope he gets to eat a subtle inadvertent high stick to the chops. Classless Crosby-like move to punish D-Key for a perfectly clean and legal rub out on the play. You’ll get yours too scumbag.

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 04/18/14 at 09:53 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

I really like our team.

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 04/18/14 at 09:59 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

We will take sloppy firsts. And leave the Broons with the seconds. Thanks for the gifs RW

Posted by cigar_nurse from Greenville South Cakalakee on 04/18/14 at 10:01 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 04/18/14 at 10:36 PM ET

surprised

our Pasha

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 04/18/14 at 10:10 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

Even Franzen had a good game, despite the botched tip-in from Abby. He registered an assist on the goal, and was battling hard every shift.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 04/18/14 at 10:10 PM ET

Bill from GR's avatar

I have never been a Howard fan and have been critical this year.

However, I’ll give Jimmy credit for a steal tonight.  Keep it up Tiberius.

Posted by Bill from GR on 04/18/14 at 10:18 PM ET

awould's avatar

Did anyone notice the look in Datsyuk’s eyes after he scored? Possessed.

That’s exactly what I thought. It seemed to rub off on the team in that final 3 minutes.

Posted by awould on 04/18/14 at 10:36 PM ET

awould's avatar

I can’t remember seeing a game where the Red Wings looked so damn fast. If only they could’ve not bobbled 30% of the passes through the neutral zone….

Posted by awould on 04/18/14 at 10:39 PM ET

VooX's avatar

via Sara Dwyer (@Helmerroids on twitter) via George Malik’s twitter

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 04/18/14 at 11:10 PM ET

pgoody's avatar

I can count on one hand the comments crediting Howard from this post and the LB post from Datsyuk’s goal forward… we are one stingy bunch…

Posted by pgoody on 04/18/14 at 11:11 PM ET

VooX's avatar

An homage to this classic:

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 04/18/14 at 11:15 PM ET

pgoody's avatar

I have a question… If Datsyuk’s shot gets stopped by Rask do you think the refs would have called interference on Hamilton for tackling Abdelkader… don’t forget there was less than 3 minutes left in regulation, i.e. “the anything goes time period”

Posted by pgoody on 04/18/14 at 11:38 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Posted by pgoody on 04/19/14 at 12:38 AM ET

Of course not.  Abby would have been called for diving.

Posted by calquake on 04/18/14 at 11:58 PM ET

pgoody's avatar

Posted by pgoody on 04/18/14 at 11:59 PM ET

perfection's avatar

you know… i haven’t seen much mention of Alfie yet. but I do remember seeing George and others making claims that Alfie’s decision was vindicated when we made the playoffs and Ottawa didn’t. But the fact is he apparently was deciding between the Wings and the Bruins with the stated purpose of trying to win the cup. So it’s really this series that will vindicate Alfie’s decision. I’m not pretending one game makes a series, hell, we learned last year even 3 games don’t make a series. But this was one hell of a way to start. I thought for us to win it would have to be 3-2 or 4-3. Never did I expect a 1-0 victory in regulation. Totally nuts. But I hope they do this for Alfie. It would just make this upset all the more magical. And once you slay the Bruins, you aren’t really an underdog anymore. It goes from “maybe we can pull out this series” to “maybe we can win the whole thing”.

and how epic would a Det/Col final be… with Roy no less?

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 04/19/14 at 12:10 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

90 seconds left to go in a one-goal game.

The Datsyuk line had just scored. The Glendening line took the very next shift.  Babcock needed one of two lines to get out there so he could finish the game with the Glendening-Datsyuk-Miller shutdown trio.

Who does he send out there to defend a one-goal lead for that shift.

Motherfuching Tomas Tatar, Riley Sheahan, and Gustav Nyquist.

Babcock doesn’t like kids.  We all know this; it’s fact.

The problem? There are no kids on this roster.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/19/14 at 12:22 AM ET

perfection's avatar

There are no kids on this roster.

haha… far from a problem!

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 04/19/14 at 12:28 AM ET

WestWing's avatar

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 04/18/14 at 10:18 PM ET

I confess, I felt pretty much the same way.  But dammit, if we’ve learned anything over the past month, we should know by now that any time we even start to write this team off, they find a way to get it done.

For the first time in years, I actually found myself in that very un-Red Wing-like mode of being “happy just to be in the playoffs”.  Even as the game passed the 56 minute mark, that feeling was still very real. I kept reminding myself of how far they’d come, and what a damn fine achievement it was to even still be playing past the middle of April regardless of the outcome.  It was like I was trying to prepare myself to deal with some inevitable fate.

But then Pavel mutherfuching Datsyuk reminded us all why he’s the best hockey player on the planet. Controlling the puck just outside his own blue-line with the kind of nifty behind-the-back, between-the-skates move at full speed that almost no one else even dares to try, and then five or six quick strides later he’s launching a nasty wrist shot into the back of the net.

It’s only one game, only one win, and there’s still a million and one things that can go wrong.  I get all that.  But for all the haters who have been waiting so long, and wishing so hard for the epic and final collapse of the Detroit Red Wings, it must really suck to imagine that, with all their young guns, Detroit’s struggles this season might have merely been the labor pains that gave birth to the next generation of the Dynasty, and that the next big happy-ass parade down Woodward is coming a helluva lot sooner than they feared.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 04/19/14 at 03:06 AM ET

awould's avatar

Who does he send out there to defend a one-goal lead for that shift.

Motherfuching Tomas Tatar, Riley Sheahan, and Gustav Nyquist.

The future’s so bright, I gotta wear shades.

The rumors of the Bruins Dynasty or the Blackhawks Dynasty are vastly overstated. The Red Wings Dynasty still lives and like the Highlander, there can be only one (at a time). My prediction is that this season was the last best chance to end the streak for many years to come and the rest of the league blew it. The kids are only going to get better.

Posted by awould on 04/19/14 at 03:18 AM ET