Abel to Yzerman

Uh oh. Big, Bad, Boston.

Well, if there's going to be a legitimate "rival" in this division, this is it.  Toronto? No. It will be fun to see them get pasted and it will be particularly fun to hear their fans whimper.  Montreal, Florida, Tampa...blah, blah, blah.  That's just science.

Boston's it.  But not yet.  Not until a playoff series.  Until then, it's all just talk.  Like this...

We'll start with their city.

That's from the Stanley Cup of Chowder, a Boston blog of the SB Nation variety. That means it looks, sounds, smells just like every other SB Nation blog.

A few key words from this manifesto, the same as the ones you'll read on the SB Nation Blues, Dive, Duck, Predator blogs. Ready?

...no matter what I say about their decrepit, run-down city, Detroit fans will find some way to cry about it. But if you think about it - that is such the epitome of their fanbase. Hardly any of them actually LIVE in Detroit city limits (find a Red Wings fan. Ask them where they're from. I bet you anything they're from like Ann Arbor or Ypsilanti or any number of other non-Detroit Michigan locales that you can hear about in a variety of Sufjan Stevens songs) and yet they all leap to whine and cry at you if you dare to invoke the fact that the city might as well be a war zone.

We know. We do. We get it.  Detroit's run down. We're all bandwagoners. None of us live within the city limits.

And the Wings have 11 Cups. And the Wings pose the most serious threat to Boston's perceived favorite status.  And the Wings play a style of hockey the Bruins are not comfortable with.

Got it.

And in case you're wondering whether I made up the fact that the Chowder blog is precisely like every other cookie cutter from SN Nation?

Never Forget:

Konstantinov, what a punk.

Creative.

It's a Live Blog, bitches.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

1 2 3 >  Last ›      Next »

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

That means it looks, sounds, smells just like every other SB Nation blog.

Love you too, Chief.

wink

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 10/05/13 at 04:57 PM ET

UMFan's avatar

Well this pisses me off. So I guess anybody outside of the Boston city limits isn’t really a Boston sports fan. Their fandom doesn’t count. Is that what they are saying? There is no Boston Redsox “nation” Celtic and Redsox fans who live in NYC don’t matter. They might as well not exist. Is that the theory?

Posted by UMFan from Denver, Colorado on 10/05/13 at 05:04 PM ET

dougie's avatar

Has the MSM finally stopped banging the “Red Wings are older than Methusela” drum, or am I just not paying attention? Or both?

Posted by dougie on 10/05/13 at 05:14 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

I knew you’d be hearing from JJ, Master Chief. wink

LET’S GO RED WINGS !!!!!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 10/05/13 at 05:15 PM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

I knew you’d be hearing from JJ, Master Chief.

JJ knows I love him in a faceshield to faceshield way.  And he also knows I wasn’t referring to WIIM.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 10/05/13 at 05:28 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Yep, and SCoC is going to be our new divisional SLGT, except they haven’t developed the bitterness yet.

Yet…

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 10/05/13 at 05:35 PM ET

gowings's avatar

I am a Canadian RED WING FAN living and born in MTL and proud of it. True fans come from everywhere….but RW fans know and smell greatness and I am proud of it!

Get rid of Boston….my fellow mtl canadian fans approve this….and they want us to get rid of Toronto also…...no problem…..we can show them!

Posted by gowings from MTL on 10/05/13 at 05:36 PM ET

TheRealYooper's avatar

sometimes you get what you want, and sometimes you just get kicked in the nuts.

lol British TV ads

so glad Hockey is back on. Much better than a kick in the nuts.

Posted by TheRealYooper from within sight of the edge of the Earth. on 10/05/13 at 05:37 PM ET

Little Redhead's avatar

Thanks Chief!  Howdy All!

Lets Go Red Wings!!!

Posted by Little Redhead from the Engineer's chair on 10/05/13 at 05:43 PM ET

Zqto's avatar

Red Wing bandwagoner for the last 18 years, here!

And I dont live remotely close to Detroit, but you guys can bet your asses if I moved to the USA, there’s only one city I would call home

Posted by Zqto on 10/05/13 at 05:43 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Thanks to Dougie (left, in red) for introducing me to his friends at his tailgate as the well known sexual deviant of his hockey blog.  The eyes of every woman in the group and one of the men suddenly got a sparkle.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 10/05/13 at 05:54 PM ET

VooX's avatar

Evening, bitches, what are you drinking?

Here’s the HD Feed

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 10/05/13 at 05:54 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Game on, bitches.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 10/05/13 at 05:55 PM ET

dougie's avatar

My favorite part of the game last night was going down to the glass for warmups. I don’t get to see our boys live often, and I’m sorry if I sound like an emo fanboi, but watching this team warm up just filled me with an awesome appreciation for what each and every one of these guys bring to the table.

From the “just trying to make the squad” younguns, the guys changing teams, the men in their prime, and the ones barely hanging on to the last vapors of a career, they all have a story. First off, they are fuching HOCKEY PLAYERS, and deserve our respect for that. Secondly, the are DETROIT RED WINGS, and deserve our admiration.

I stood there for15 minutes, and found myself unable to pass judgement on any of them. Humbled, perhaps. And then I thought about how easily I toss off barbs, judgements, and criticisms of these guys online. In that moment, it just seemed like something I needed to keep an eye on, personally.

We will see how long it lasts, but I am going to try to keep this season FUN, no matter what. Hell, if I can find love in my heart for the Mule for 15 entire minutes, I suppose anything is possible.

Posted by dougie on 10/05/13 at 05:58 PM ET

Little Redhead's avatar

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 10/05/13 at 06:54 PM ET

Thanks for sharing. Hope you all left someone behind to post bail….... smile

Posted by Little Redhead from the Engineer's chair on 10/05/13 at 06:02 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Bet you will sleep better at night too dougie.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 10/05/13 at 06:02 PM ET

dougie's avatar

Great to finally meet you face to face. Please don’t tell me which of my buddies is gay. They are all UNC Tarhole fans, and generally the male fanbase tends to be a wee bit light in their loafers, so to speak.

Posted by dougie on 10/05/13 at 06:04 PM ET

Little Redhead's avatar

Wait, what, Tartar in for Samuelson…..both have their moments…..

Guess we will see…..

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Little Redhead from the Engineer's chair on 10/05/13 at 06:05 PM ET

TheRealYooper's avatar

Evening, bitches, what are you drinking?

Here’s the HD Feed

thanks voox

Posted by TheRealYooper from within sight of the edge of the Earth. on 10/05/13 at 06:06 PM ET

VooX's avatar

How very zen of you, Dougie.  Have a drink on me.

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 10/05/13 at 06:07 PM ET

dougie's avatar

Opera Man wouldn’t make a pimple on the left ass cheek of Karen Newman.

I didn’t promise to take it easy on anything but our players and coaches

Posted by dougie on 10/05/13 at 06:07 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Oh no, Jackass Edwards.

Posted by calquake on 10/05/13 at 06:08 PM ET

Little Redhead's avatar

Game On…...

GO WINGS!!!!!

Posted by Little Redhead from the Engineer's chair on 10/05/13 at 06:09 PM ET

dougie's avatar

How very zen of you, Dougie.

Actually, Drunken Zen would be a much more accurate description.

Posted by dougie on 10/05/13 at 06:10 PM ET

Norskirama's avatar

Opera Man wouldn’t make a pimple on the left ass cheek of Karen Newman.

I didn’t promise to take it easy on anything but our players and coaches

Posted by dougie on 10/05/13 at 07:07 PM ET

Very bad tenor….vibrato wide enough to sling a cat through!

Posted by Norskirama from Lincoln, Nebraska on 10/05/13 at 06:12 PM ET

monkey's avatar

*#$%@& you, KK on Windows phone 7. *#$%@&. You.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 10/05/13 at 06:13 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Never Forget:

Konstantinov, what a punk.

Creative.

It’s a Live Blog, bitches.

Hi-De-Ho-Style Bitches. Thanks Chief, for reminding us that every team has a douchenozzle base. Really, thats the best they got?

Let’s Roll!

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 10/05/13 at 06:14 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Evening, bitches, what are you drinking?

Uncle Johns Fireball Cider

does a body good

Posted by Hootinani on 10/05/13 at 06:14 PM ET

monkey's avatar

I need a drink

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 10/05/13 at 06:16 PM ET

Norskirama's avatar

I need a drink

Posted by monkey from Finland on 10/05/13 at 07:16 PM ET

Just one?

Posted by Norskirama from Lincoln, Nebraska on 10/05/13 at 06:17 PM ET

monkey's avatar

I’ve only got one mouth. Baby steps.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 10/05/13 at 06:19 PM ET

Chet's avatar

FSD has GOT to get rid of that blue crawl at the bottom of the screen during the game. it’s not needed and eats up over 10% of the screen space for nearly no payoff. how asinine.

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 10/05/13 at 06:20 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Actually, Drunken Zen would be a much more accurate description.

Posted by dougie on 10/05/13 at 07:10 PM ET

A bumper sticker on a Benz? Oh Dougie!

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 10/05/13 at 06:21 PM ET

Gary A$$ SUCK !!'s avatar

Let’s Go Red Wings.. Clap Clap Clap..

Posted by Gary A$$ SUCK !! from Fort Myers, Florida on 10/05/13 at 06:22 PM ET

Chet's avatar

well, maybe not 10%, but i still hate it.

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 10/05/13 at 06:22 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Krug was pretty good in the SCF. I think he was a Spartan.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 10/05/13 at 06:25 PM ET

dougie's avatar

A bumper sticker on a Benz? Oh Dougie!

A WINGS bumper sticker, Voox

Posted by dougie on 10/05/13 at 06:25 PM ET

dougie's avatar

OOPs, sorry Voox and Kate. Sometimes I get you confused wink

Posted by dougie on 10/05/13 at 06:26 PM ET

Norskirama's avatar

@Kate-yes he was an undrafted Spartie.

Posted by Norskirama from Lincoln, Nebraska on 10/05/13 at 06:26 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

A bumper sticker on a Benz? Oh Dougie!

A WINGS bumper sticker, Voox

Posted by dougie on 10/05/13 at 07:25 PM ET

It’s Kate Dougie. Or, should I say, Drunken Zen Dougie.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!