Abel to Yzerman

Top Prospects And Questions For The Detroit Red Wings

from Nicholas J. Cotsonika of NHL.com,

1. Filip Zadina, F
How acquired:
Selected with No. 6 pick in 2018 NHL Draft

Last season: Detroit: 9 GP, 1-2-3; Grand Rapids (AHL) 59 GP, 16-19-35

The Red Wings have high hopes for Zadina (6-foot, 195 pounds), a skilled shooter with the potential to be a prolific goal-scorer in the NHL. The 19-year-old likely will start with Grand Rapids of the American Hockey League for a second straight season.

Zadina, whose ice time at Red Wings development camp in June was limited because of a sore hamstring sustained during offseason training, had 82 points (44 goals, 38 assists) in 57 games for Halifax of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League in 2017-18. But he had to learn the details of playing a two-way game as a pro and spent most of last season with Grand Rapids, where he was minus-17. He played nine late-season games for Detroit and was minus-5.

"Obviously lots of new experiences during the season, ups and downs," Zadina said. "Obviously I enjoyed the time here in Detroit. I think I'll take it. I'll take it as it was and I think it was a good season for me. I got to learn something and I hope and I believe that next season will be way better."

Projected NHL arrival: This season.

continue for 4 more prospects...

Below, Costsonika with Three Questions...

Will they add any more players to their roster?
Some of that might depend on Kronwall and some might depend on how younger players look in training camp.

After the Red Wings signed Nemeth and center Valtteri Filppula on July 1, Yzerman was asked if any other moves were forthcoming.

"Um, no, I think I would mull over a couple of other things," Yzerman said. "We have a spot, potentially, on our roster on right wing. I don't want to fill it just to fill it because it gives us some options for some of our younger players to see if they're ready, and it leaves opportunity maybe for something to come along between now and the start of the regular season.

"So I'm not really in a hurry. But if I could add another winger, I would consider that and potentially look at maybe another defenseman. But we weigh adding another one versus just leaving a spot for one of our younger guys on the roster, maybe decided at training camp or after training camp. If the right player and the right contract come along, we would consider signing another one."

2 more questions...

Also on the Wings, Fantasy Breakdown and Behind the Numbers.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

Here is a future look at what the 2020-2021 line-up may look like:

Bertuzzi Larkin Mantha
A.A. Veleno Zadina
Hirose Rasmussen Svechnikov
Kuffner Filppula Neilson

Mcissac Hronek
Cholowski Seider
Dekeyser Bowey
Nemeth

Posted by AdrenRush369 on 08/11/19 at 08:24 AM ET

Kaski and Ehn might be on the roster as well. Expect Yzerman to trade Trevor Daley to a contender for a mid round pick. If Mike Green is healthy, he could be worth a 2nd round draft pick.
Jonathan Ericsson I expect will be benched for most of the season. Darren Helm and Luke Glendening are also trade candidates during this upcoming trade deadline or in the following offseason.

Posted by AdrenRush369 on 08/11/19 at 09:13 AM ET

Abdelkader still has to prove he can be a NHL caliber player. He could be an extra guy that gets benched or is sent down to G.R.

Posted by AdrenRush369 on 08/11/19 at 10:32 AM ET

Paul's avatar

NBC Sports with their preview on the Wings and a look at Blashill.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 08/11/19 at 01:00 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

Glendening, as a solid defensive checking center who is also adept at winning faceoffs, has a place on this team. Glendening’s presence however, makes Helm, Nielsen, and Abby superfluous, and they should be traded, wavied, or bought out tomorrow…. sick

Posted by Down River Dan on 08/11/19 at 02:38 PM ET

Posted by Down River Dan on 08/11/19 at 02:38 PM ET

Spot on.

Posted by Probie4Prez on 08/11/19 at 06:12 PM ET

AzWingsFan's avatar

I think Glendening is one of the few Wings players who brought it every night last season. He is the exact kind of person/player you want around developing players. He is not a super star, he is not a top line player but he works hard at what he does and the effort is always there.  1.8m for 4th line center that was 13th in the league in face off win % which would be 9th for players with more than 1000 face-offs.  I really think he doesn’t get enough credit from the fans for what he does every night, but that is just me.

Posted by AzWingsFan on 08/11/19 at 09:43 PM ET

hockeyfreak13's avatar

Mcissac Hronek

Yes, the Wings’ 2nd round pick from last year, who is currently injured and has not played a second of professional hockey, is slated to start as a first pairing defender next year. Makes sense.

Posted by hockeyfreak13 from Grand Rapids on 08/12/19 at 08:21 AM ET