Abel to Yzerman

Tick Tock’s Summer Just Got Hotter

Updated below (@1310) after I had a chance to think more about the Semin signing, and get angrier.

On the contrary, I feel we should all freak the f**k out.

And no, I’m not kidding.

Semin’s off the market and our Tick Tock’s in deep trouble.

The details are right there in front of you, so I won’t re-hash them.  You’ve read it all summer, after several months of virtual guarantees from Ken Holland that this wouldn’t happen.  You can go along and get along all you want, but the fact remains that—at the most optimistic—this is the worst period in Wings history since pre-Yzerman.

And, you’re damn right, I’ve elected to lose it.  Now, don’t get scared. My family’s safe. The law hasn’t been called.  All is well, relatively speaking.

Suter, Parise, Semin: gone.  All the UFA defensemen: gone.  The second tier forwards: gone.

Nash: traded, but not to Detroit.  Weber: offer sheet tendered, but not by Detroit.

No, this is not a sign that the Wings are no longer a destination of choice.  This is, very simply, a failure by management.  Abject, absolute, asinine failure.  This summer has been nothing short of incompetence.  Holland knew Lidstrom was leaving and did nothing, and that’s a very raw but true statement, to compensate. Not replace, just compensate.  And it’s his job to do so.  Failure.

Shane Doan is no longer a nice-to-have.  He’s now a necessity.  Not just because the Wings need his grit, leadership, scoring.  Ken Holland needs that signing to rescue his own credibility.  Doan needs to happen to save this fan base from implosion. And if you think Holland doesn’t realize that, you’re mistaken.

Semin for 7 is gross.  But it’s one year.  I wonder if he would have taken 6 per year for 2 years?  Well, Kenny?

Something’s broken in Hockeytown and it’s turning what should have been a glorious summer into a steaming pile of horse shit.

It’s down to Doan, Kenny.

And, oh yeah, it’s not like Stuart’s departure was a surprise either.  Garrison, Wideman, Carle, Salo….gone. And we’ve got what as our top pairing? Kronwall and….White?

If this is true….

Khan(!!!)

Semin’s agent, Todd Diamond, told M-Live.com that he had only one conversation with the Detroit Red Wings.
“It never got serious with them,’’ Diamond said.

Hi. That’s just negligence. If that’s true? Negligence.  At this stage Ken Holland didn’t have the luxury of selecting only those players who “fit the Wing mold.”  No. At this stage it’s down to signing talent to short-term deals and hoping they adapt.  Never got serious?

Oh, it’s motherfuching serious now isn’t it?

One consolation in this Summer of Ass Pain?  Only this: nobody in the Central has done jack squat either.  Stagnancy and ineptitude all around.  Hooray for the Norris.

Whatever.  I’m not giving up but I’m not giving in.  Doan signs in Detroit I’m happy as a school girl. But if he signs elsewhere, there’s going to be a change in tone around here.  Kenny’s gonna have some explaining to do and I don’t really give a shit if his impotence this summer has been out of caution due to a new CBA.  Labor strife didn’t stop Fletcher or Rutherford or Sather.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous        < 1 2 3 4 >       Next »

monkey's avatar

Can’t believe I’m actually agreeing that if we dont’ ahve a team that can get past the 2nd.. it’d be more advantageous to get the higher draft pick.

But first trade that pick for Kyle Quincey.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 07/26/12 at 06:41 PM ET

Then you say, “oh well, we brought Semin in for 7.5 (ie no assets), and then we dumped him for next to nothing (ie some asset).

Semin?  For 7.5?  Good Lord.

Besides, you don’t really think Semin is the point of the Chief’s diatribe, do you?  I don’t, nor should it be insofar as his point has merit on a larger level.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 07/26/12 at 06:42 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Guaranteeing something isn’t that serious.

I guarantee that I will never die.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 07/26/12 at 06:42 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Shit, I almost forgot:  You entitled, ungrateful sons of bitches.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 07/26/12 at 06:43 PM ET

CaptNorris5's avatar

Even if Kenny signs Doan to a 1 year deal with a team option every year for the next 6 years at a $500k contract, this offseason is objectively a failure.

Unless.

Unless the CBA comes along and buttfuchs the ever-loving taint off of the players. Unless the NHLPA caves and agrees to a deal that means 2/3 of the teams in the league are suddenly in serious cap trouble and need to shed talent so they can shed salary. Unless there’s zero amnesty period in that deal that would give teams a year or two of breathing room.

It’s clear. Kenny’s betting. Mr. Conservative is gambling on the CBA being a real knuckle-fuch to the players. He’s not making the mega deals, or even the half-mega deals because he thinks there’s going to be more out there for less in the near future. Hell, I’d be willing to bet he’s assuming there ain’t gonna be no 2012-13 season.

It’s the only thing that makes sense. If he thought the cap was going to be anywhere NEAR $70m.. I just don’t see how Semin wouldn’t get a 1 year deal at $7.5. I get it. He’s been described as a primadonna. He’s been described as a shitty teamate. He’s been described as lazy.

He’s also been described as a 40 goal scorer.

The only way this summer isn’t a failure already is if the NHLPA bends right the hell over. Then Kenny will be a genius. He might just be one of the only buyers out there. A guy with an owner with money to spend, and a team too many inexpensive third liners to deal. Hopefully he’s got his finger on the pulse of this thing better than everyone else. Though - that would mean a lockout for sure, so fuch me running either way.

In Kenny we - oh fuch it. I miss Stevie.

Posted by CaptNorris5 from The Winged Wheel, stuck in Chicago on 07/26/12 at 06:43 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I guarantee that I will never die.

Posted by monkey from bunting for Nash on 07/26/12 at 05:42 PM ET

I guarantee that I’m going to defile your grave.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/26/12 at 06:48 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Summer of Ass Pain

It all comes back to BOHICA.

Suterise signed in… BOHICA

Weber signed offer sheet with… BOHICA

Nash traded to… BOHICA

Red Wings acquired herpes, hemorrhoids… and BOHICA.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 07/26/12 at 06:49 PM ET

monkey's avatar

I guarantee that I’m going to defile your grave.

You’ve got one hell of a busy night lined up.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 07/26/12 at 06:50 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

The only way to improve in the salary cap era is to suck for a year or two or three.

So I guess Toronto is gearing up for five straight cups?

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 07/26/12 at 06:51 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

Semin?  For 7.5?  Good Lord.

Yup.  Cause it’s all about pinching those pennies and saving those coupons.  Do you bank saved cap space?  Is it your money?  It’s about getting a good roster, not getting the scrimping housewife award.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 07/26/12 at 06:55 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

So I guess Toronto is gearing up for five straight cups?
Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 07/26/12 at 05:51 PM ET

You still need competent management to make good player personnel decisions. Here are the last four cup winners.

2012 Kings: missed playoffs 05/06-08/09; two 1st rd eliminations then won Cup

2011 Bruins: missed playoffs 05/06-06/07; one 1st rd & two 2nd rd eliminations then won Cup

2010 Chickenhawks: missed playoffs 05/06-07/08; 3rd elimination then won Cup

2009 Pens: missed playoffs 01/02-05/06; 1st rd & cup final elminations then won Cup

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 07/26/12 at 06:57 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from Warm and sunny SoCal on 07/26/12 at 05:57 PM ET

Oh I’m not disputing.  I’m just taking a shot at the Leafs.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 07/26/12 at 07:00 PM ET

You can’t take a 5th place team (in conf.) subtract the best D-man in the last 50 years, subtract another top-4 D-man, fail to add any veteran D-men and expect to finish in the top 8. And unless you have a team capable of making it to the second round or farther, you’d be better off missing the playoffs entirely and missing them BIG time to hit that lotto of the bottom 5 teams that gets a shot at the first pick.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from Warm and sunny SoCal on 07/26/12 at 04:43 PM ET

This ^^^^

Unfortunately, not many fans can embrace the reality here. And the reality is that the last six months since late February witnessed a self-destruction of the greatest hockey franchise ever perpetrated by their own General Manager and brass.

Posted by Alex on 07/26/12 at 07:09 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

I don’t get the “Holland is waiting for the CBA, so teams have to get rid of players”.

I mean, the rollback in salaries will be the same as the rollback on the cap. It’s different from 2005, when some teams (ie. Detroit) were over the then-nonexistant cap.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 07/26/12 at 07:32 PM ET

w2j2's avatar

Ken Holland is the best GM in hockey.

The Wings have been drafting at the bottom of the list since 1996…16 years.

Their exclusive pipeline to European hockey players is no longer exclusive and now very competitive.

The CAP makes every team equal money-wise.

Lidstrom retired.

Who knew Suter wanted to play with his buddy in MPLS?

There have been dominant teams in sports throughout history, and eventually they are no longer dominant.

Bettman is happy.

I don’t like this any more than anybody else.
That includes Holland and Babcock.

Sh**  happens.  There is nothing more Holland can do.

It is what it is.  Live with it.

Posted by w2j2 on 07/26/12 at 07:42 PM ET

Kick Rocks, Tick Tock.

Posted by AppState on 07/26/12 at 07:47 PM ET

pgoody's avatar

Want some cheese with that whine sir?

Posted by phillyphever on 07/26/12 at 03:55 PM ET

Hey, uh, faux you buddy…

Posted by pgoody on 07/26/12 at 08:02 PM ET

The Hurricane's avatar

I wonder if Kenny is on the phone with TPH begging….pleading….never forget, Tick Tock is the miracle man.

Posted by The Hurricane on 07/26/12 at 08:06 PM ET

pgoody's avatar

Posted by pgoody on 07/26/12 at 08:11 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

You MUST remember, management asks its current players for their input on possible signings.
Posted by Hockeytown Wax from West Bloomfield, Mi. on 07/26/12 at 04:22 PM ET

You must remember that this isn’t even remotely true.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 07/26/12 at 08:12 PM ET

Yashin, Kovalev, Jagr, Knuble are still available to bOLSTER oUR oFFENSE, Kenny! Grab them, they will sign for a cheap buck.

Posted by Alex on 07/26/12 at 08:12 PM ET

I rather have Franzén 2.0 than Samuelsson beta version on the 2nd line.

Sammy had 7 fewer goals in 23 fewer games than Semin.  Let’s not pretend Semin is the answer to any of Detroit’s problems.

Posted by Garth on 07/26/12 at 08:13 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Posted by Alex on 07/26/12 at 06:09 PM ET

You’re really a Blackhawks fan trying to throw on the gasoline, aren’t you?

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 07/26/12 at 08:14 PM ET

Posted by The Hurricane on 07/26/12 at 07:06 PM ET

TPH will sign with one and only one team for the 12/13 season. No, it’s not Detroit. He has never been stupid. This team is Vasteras.

Posted by Alex on 07/26/12 at 08:16 PM ET

I’m trying to see a silver lining that doesn’t involve intentionally sucking balls to get a good pick(s).
The positive spin I’m going to go with is with the decrease in team defensive ability our goalies will be “in the game” in EVERY game due to an increased number of shots and therefore will have a strong season.
I’m not going to predict a Cup, but I’d bet money on keeping the streak of playoff appearances alive.

Now I’m going to go back to banging my head repeatedly against the wall, wondering what happened this offseason.

Posted by Pete9Howe on 07/26/12 at 08:19 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

All you fuchers are going to be damned suprised when Bobby Ryan shows up next season (in November…maybe) wearing the Winged Wheel.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 07/26/12 at 08:19 PM ET

Can this off season be an order from above?  With another branch of Olympia Entertainment signing Prince Fielder, is it possible that Mr. I needed KH to hold back a few bucks for a fews years.

Mr. I has talked more about winning a World Series recently than he has a Stanley Cup.

Posted by milburyneedstobeslapped on 07/26/12 at 08:22 PM ET

Seriously though?

“Summer of Ken v.1” was a failure.

“Summer of Ken v.2”.... Failure.

Maybe there’s a reason Tick Tock loves Mule so much. They both pulled their best performances out of thin air, and have had their worst showings when we needed them most.

Posted by AppState on 07/26/12 at 08:22 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

Let’s not pretend Semin is the answer to any of Detroit’s problems.

Oh yeah.  The answer is loads of cap space.  Less experienced forwards.  Less firepower. Less skilled PP guys.  This is the TOR model right?

Samuelsson is old, slow, and brutally injury-prone.  I’ll wager you he spends 30-40 games on the IR.
And even f he’s amazing, are you sure that less is more?  This isn’t just about Semin.  I’ve bitched for a top-line winger for years.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 07/26/12 at 08:23 PM ET

You’re really a Blackhawks fan trying to throw on the gasoline, aren’t you?

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 07/26/12 at 07:14 PM ET

No, a Red Wing fan since 1990. But Kenny’s mismanagement of this greatest franchise really made me sick and caustic.

Posted by Alex on 07/26/12 at 08:26 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Just for grins, the Edmonton Oilers have 24 players signed for $63M, the Wings have 23 players signed for $57M, #17 payroll.  Surprisingly, the NYR are even below the Wings at #18 payroll with 20 players signed.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 07/26/12 at 08:39 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Well then kiddo… I’ve been a fan since the 50’s so don’t get your diaper in a bunch over this.  Live through 20 years of suckage and then come tell me how awful it is.  Mismanagement is a very strong word.  Please compare all the GM’s of all the teams and show me who has done better in the same timeframe.  I’m not happy with the past couple of seasons but I live in the real world where you don’t win the Cup every year.  No problem with fans frustrations and disappointment but let’s at least play out the season before condemning the franchise.  We can agree to disagree.

Posted by calquake on 07/26/12 at 08:39 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Posted by calquake on 07/26/12 at 07:39 PM ET

Indeed.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 07/26/12 at 08:41 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

There is very little changed in the past 24 hours.  Few of us believed the Wings would sign either Semin or Doan, and probably won’t.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 07/26/12 at 08:51 PM ET

NIVO's avatar

so as it sits we still have nearly 13 million reasons of “WTF is goin on”? I know we havent played a game yet, but the calendar looks short to me.

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 07/26/12 at 08:54 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

I think it’s more about giving yourself the chance to win it.  And the mismanagement is knowing that Lidas was going to retire immanently and didn’t make any moves to upgrade the D or get a young guy in while we still had older guys to help carry the weight.  And then knowing for possibly 2 years, at LEAST a full year that Stu was likely on his way out.. and picked up Q? for a 1st at that?

There was no preperation, looked more like they were banking on getting a top FA and it didn’t pan out, so now the new party line in , we like our team and you can’t sign someone every year.. unless you’re the Rangers… or Philly..

For Kenny having a crystal ball, I just can’t believe he didn’t reinforce the D more while we had the chance.  We’ve had cap space, there’s been opportunity.

Here’s hoping Smith will put on his big boy pants and show us there’s an actual advantage to over-ripening our prospects.  Been a whlie since that’s paid off for us.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/26/12 at 08:56 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Posted by RWBill from hiding indoors from Virginia heat. on 07/26/12 at 07:51 PM ET

That’s because we thought Semin was either holding out for crazy money (7m for a former 40 goal scorer?  His numbers speak for themselves, WITH a shittily ran franchise) and longer term (1 year.. signed for a year).

I think the issue is, those don’t sound like unreasonable numbers so why weren’t we interested or talking to their agent?  NOT the batshit crazy one?  Our team is what it is, but there’s no reason not to give yourself every shot.  And it’s not like Semin wouldn’t be able to be moved if he didn’t fit/work out.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/26/12 at 09:00 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

This has certainly changed since I posted it a month ago.  Pretty Slim Pickens.
This shows available UFAs according to minutes per game played.

The entire list isn’t shown, but considering that Brett Lebda is #13 on this list, just how much farther down would you want to go?

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 07/26/12 at 09:04 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/26/12 at 08:00 PM ET

Yeah that’s not unreasonable by any means.  And for one year isn’t a gamble.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 07/26/12 at 09:07 PM ET

« Previous        < 1 2 3 4 >       Next »