Abel to Yzerman

Tick Tock To Schultz: You Want In? We’ve Got A Spot For You

Bruce MacLeod used to be our Anti-Digger. He was replaced by Chuck Pleiness. Now Chuck brings us a ditty that I said weeks ago would be something that would make us feel warm and happy.  Tick Tock agrees.

Pleiness

“He’s close to being an NHL defenseman,” Wings general manager Ken Holland said. “He’s a young player. We’re prepared to give him the opportunity to be on our team.”

Schultz, who turns 22 on July 6 and played three seasons at Wisconsin, was drafted by Anaheim in 2008 prior to starting college, 43rd overall, but couldn’t reach a deal with the Ducks, who had until Sunday before he could begin talks on a contract with any other team.

And the Wings seem prepared to get a deal done.

I just don’t see the great risk. It’s a chance and it’s outside the box as far as the Wings are concerned but when you lose the greatest defenseman ever, why not take a shot at a kid so many feel is going to be so good?

If you’re an Eeyore and looking for something, anything, to be pessimistic about? You can view Ken Holland’s public admission of interest as a disturbing sign that he feels Suter may be slipping away.  Add in the Brunner “signing” and Uncle Mike’s public declaration of affection and you could say the same horrible thing about Parise.

But we know this: we have significant, gaping holes on the blue line and everyone but like two commenters here feel Schultz has tremendous upside.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

1 2 >       Next »

Triple Deke Tyler's avatar

You aren’t really awake, who is this

Posted by Triple Deke Tyler from Lansing on 06/26/12 at 02:26 AM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

You aren’t really awake, who is this

Posted by Triple Deke Tyler from Lansing on 06/26/12 at 12:26 AM ET

Shhhhh. Don’t tell anybody.  And that’s the greatest avatar in A2Y history.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 06/26/12 at 02:27 AM ET

Triple Deke Tyler's avatar

And that’s the greatest avatar in A2Y history.

That means a whole hell of a lot to me considering the priceless artistic gems I’ve seen around here in my day, sir.

Posted by Triple Deke Tyler from Lansing on 06/26/12 at 02:29 AM ET

Guilherme's avatar

Chief posts, TTD comments on a funny hat. Gawd, it’s 2010 all over again.

Osrt, Baroque, Gabe, AAA, other folks who disappeared, where are you? on twitter

Oh, and Schultz? Better than Quincey. Faux Quincey.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 06/26/12 at 02:30 AM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

Well, naturally it’s amateurish and poorly constructed. But the slam at Pinky is exactly the kind of thing our A2Y forefathers had in mind.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 06/26/12 at 02:31 AM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

Faux Quincey.

Exactly, Herm.  I really don’t want this guy on our team anymore.  He’s been infected.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 06/26/12 at 02:32 AM ET

Triple Deke Tyler's avatar

Osrt isn’t on Twitter and it makes me sadder each day.

Posted by Triple Deke Tyler from Lansing on 06/26/12 at 02:35 AM ET

Guilherme's avatar

Twitter should be charged of attempted murder against A2Y.

Also, where’s the sidebar, Chief?

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 06/26/12 at 02:36 AM ET

phillyphever's avatar

Oh good grief. He’s not going to Detroit. I have Toronto as the favorite. Oh and BTW, you might want to stop drooling over Parise and Suter. I doubt they’ll go to Detroit either.

Posted by phillyphever on 06/26/12 at 02:37 AM ET

Triple Deke Tyler's avatar

a/s/l?

Posted by Triple Deke Tyler from Lansing on 06/26/12 at 02:42 AM ET

Phillyphever,
Your guess is as good as ours, and my guess is they’ll be in Detroit.

Posted by letsmakeit12 on 06/26/12 at 02:42 AM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

Twitter should be charged of attempted murder against A2Y.

Also, where’s the sidebar, Chief?

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 06/26/12 at 12:36 AM ET

I hear ya about Twitter but if anything has hurt A2Y, it’s been my work schedule.  It’s hard to keep the frequent commenters in here when I’m not posting as much as I used to.  It’ll get back to normal, gradually over the summer.  Then this fall will be more like it used to be.

Not sure what happened to the sidebar. I’ll ask the Emperor.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 06/26/12 at 02:42 AM ET

Riviera's avatar

Hell, this is the news I’ve been scouring for all day. I’m in full blown stalker mode.

Posted by Riviera from Phoenix on 06/26/12 at 02:46 AM ET

Guilherme's avatar

Meh, the LBs are always here. And heck, we kept a post alive for three months that time you had stuff to do.

Okay, I agree to some extent. Also, with less and less of the regulars around here, it got a little bit crazy with “foreigners”.

And let’s not forget how 110% of the Wings fanbase has a blog.

Great news, we miss you.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 06/26/12 at 02:47 AM ET

bezukov's avatar

a/s/l?

Posted by Triple Deke Tyler from Lansing on 06/26/12 at 12:42 AM ET

^^^^
+19

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 06/26/12 at 02:58 AM ET

DrewBehr's avatar

I don’t see our admission of wanting Schultz or signing Brunner (who will probably still start the season in GR, in my opinion) as signs that Suter or Parise are slipping away. There is really no comparison between those players - Schultz/Brunner aren’t going to be top line guys and Suter/Parise would be.

And hey phillyphever (cute spelling, by the way) -

If I’m Schultz and I have the choice between going to the Red Wings (21 straight playoff appearances) and Toronto (never making the playoffs, ever), why in the hell would I decide to go to Toronto?

Posted by DrewBehr from The Mitten on 06/26/12 at 03:00 AM ET

Baroque's avatar

I can follow twitter from my phone while I am taking a break at work or away from my computers and I can’t follow websites nearly as well, either here or WiiM either. So for me it is a matter of convenience, as well as anything with the website itself in terms of posting frequency, etc.

Also, working on a second major is taking up all my free time and then some. I’m up right now because I fell asleep in the middle of working on a lab report due Tuesday so now I am finishing it in the wee hours.

Posted by Baroque from Michigan on 06/26/12 at 04:37 AM ET

If he’s truly pursuing him than I feel like it’s a decent possibility that Quincey’s rights are traded. We’d acquire at least another defenseman, pushing us up to 7 (Kronwall, White, Ericsson, Kindl, Smith, Schultz, 7th man (Suter, Garrison, Carle, etc) which would essentially make Kindl the 7th man, and that’s fine. But if we acquired Schultz while keeping Quincey it’s even more of a logjam for the young guys who are ready and want to play.

I hope he’s as good as they say, for all of the hype surrounding him.

Posted by Zach from Ann Arbor on 06/26/12 at 05:18 AM ET

dougie's avatar

why in the hell would I decide to go to Toronto?

The opportunity to work for legend in his own mind Brian Burke for the first year of your pro career?

Posted by dougie on 06/26/12 at 07:54 AM ET

monkey's avatar

The sidebar got murdered when The Emperor revamped the site to deal with performance issues.  Or when the site was revamped to house 17,000 blogs.  Or something like that.

Toronto is more likely able to guarantee a roster spot.  But then again, so could Columbus, so what?

Posted by monkey from Finland on 06/26/12 at 08:47 AM ET

monkey's avatar

My fear is that Parise is not so much slipping away as Holland is going to do his old “grab up a couple of fistfuls of bargains from the dust heap and see what sticks in training camp” routine.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 06/26/12 at 08:53 AM ET

monkey's avatar

You have Toronto as the favorite?  Well, why didn’t you say so earlier?  You sure could have saved us a lot of trouble.  Once we know who you have as a favorite, then it’s settled.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 06/26/12 at 08:59 AM ET

42jeff's avatar

I think Schultz could be a welcome addition…aside from being a right handed shot, a defensive stud, has a nice offensive side to him, I hear he absolutely does NOT kick puppies.

On a side note, I just got notified that I have an assignment to Kunsan AB, Korea.  Momma wasn’t happy but it gives us that final push we needed to finally jump into purchasing a house and moving the fam’ back in the promised land.  10 wooded acres30 miles or so north of Grand Rapids with the nearest neighbor nearly a mile away….yes please.  Come December or so I may not be around much as I usually am during the season.

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 06/26/12 at 10:01 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

He meant Toronto as the favourite. Learn to spell Canadian.

I can see Schultz has plenty of upside, but I also don’t think he can jump from the NCAA schedule to the NHL schedule. Hell, Darren Helm in his first year said that he couldn’t handle the transition and burned out before that year was over. Darren Helm is actually made of energy and got tired trying to play a full NHL season. He literally ran out of himself.

$3.8M for a guy I don’t think can play the whole season is a bit steep. But you know what? Fuch it. Sign the kid just to keep him away from everybody else, because he’s going to be worth $3.8M in the same time frame it takes Riggy to be worth the full $3.25.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 06/26/12 at 10:02 AM ET

Guilherme's avatar

Sign the kid just to keep him away from everybody else

This, a million times this.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 06/26/12 at 10:27 AM ET

Nathan's avatar

Schultz would find Toronto interesting because they will be more likely to offer big money and an immediate 15 minutes per night of playing time, whereas the Wings may well offer respectable money, but would likely expect him to prove it in training camp and the preseason.

Obviously, the Red Wing way is right, but it is the reason some kids like this will go elsewhere. Which is fine, frankly. If Schultz would rather chase garbage ice time than learn to be a proper hockey player and earn his way up to being a top four D, then he’s not a guy we want in the organ-I-zation.

And I see the signing of Brunner as two things: A) low-risk, high-reward move, so no reason not to give it a shot, and B) Nyquist looks ready to graduate to the big club, and Tatar doesn’t look far behind, so having any injection of talent to the Griffs is important, no matter where it comes from.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 06/26/12 at 10:35 AM ET

NIVO's avatar

how long til sunday? i dont think these hot dogs will keep that long

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 06/26/12 at 10:56 AM ET

Jordan_NOHS's avatar

Posted by phillyphever on 06/26/12 at 12:37 AM ET

Oh you are right! I forgot that Schulttz, Suter, Parise, Carle, Nash, Ryan, Luongo, Jagr, Garrison, Yakopov and Wideman will all be going to Philly where dreams of winning a Stanley Cup come true… or just stay dreams

Posted by Jordan_NOHS from Detroit, MI on 06/26/12 at 11:00 AM ET

Tick Tock’s got the door wide open. He knows there’s a HOF-sized whole to plug and you don’t do that without getting creative.

Posted by beardChamp on 06/26/12 at 11:44 AM ET

cainer4wingsglory's avatar

Because it’s an entry-level contract, everybody can offer the same money. If he wants to win, he’ll come to Detroit. If he signs with TO or Columbus just for playing time, then he’s confirmed to all of us that he’s not Red Wing material…

Posted by cainer4wingsglory on 06/26/12 at 12:04 PM ET

awould's avatar

I think what Holland should do is sign Schultz, Parise and Suter. Also, if he can get Semin and Carle, he totally should. And of course package up Ericsson and Quincey and trade them to Columbus for, like, 4 first rounders. Unfortunately, phillyphever says no to all that.

When is signing day? This waiting and speculating is harming my psyche.

Posted by awould on 06/26/12 at 01:18 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

Posted by cainer4wingsglory on 06/26/12 at 10:04 AM ET

I agree on the second point. For sure.

On the first point, I guess I’m thinking there might be some uncertainty on how this would work, especially in light of CBA uncertainty. Would Toronto be more willing to put in some up-front bonus money? Is this even currently allowed?

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 06/26/12 at 01:39 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Unless Schultz is going to wait until after the new CBA, his salary and bonuses are capped.  There is no possibly way under the current CBA that with regular salary and bonuses, he could make more than $3.8M.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 06/26/12 at 02:17 PM ET

Posted by 42jeff from Minot, North Dakota on 06/26/12 at 08:01 AM ET

Aww hell, man.  We’re not gonna see you and your drooling-over-redheads posts anymore?  Best wishes on the new digs for the family, Jeff.

Now, I’m reading that Schultz would prefer to play in Canada.  Well, Detroit is as close to Canada as one can get and ice a damn good hockey club.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 06/26/12 at 02:36 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Congrats on buying your own little piece of heaven Jeff, kill a biggun off it for me.
If Shultz wants to chase ice time versus join the Organ-I-zation, we’ll see how that pans out in the long run.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 06/26/12 at 02:46 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

is it October yet?

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 06/26/12 at 03:44 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

How does Schultz react to a Red Wings offer when Edmonton and many others say “He’s a top 4 NHL defenseman right now.”

Oddly, I say go for this, even at a $3.8M hit, then forget Quincey if necessry.  If Quincey equals a bottom first round pick for $3M+,  then this guy who is considered the equivalent of a rare, already mature, NHL-ready #1 pick is easily worth that.

Is he, though, who knows, but Detroit no longer has HOF’ers on the third line nor can afford to over ripen everyone. Be bold.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 06/26/12 at 03:51 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by RWBill from missing the Tiki Bar at The Shores, Daytona Beach. on 06/26/12 at 01:51 PM ET

Depends on if the kid has the sense to realize “Top 4 in EDM” < “Top 4 in NHL”.  EDM doesn’t even really count as an NHL team at this point.

Posted by Primis on 06/26/12 at 04:01 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

You bought the Double JJ Ranch in Rothbury?  My daughter will be up there for the Electric Forest Festival this weekend.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 06/26/12 at 04:06 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

There’s more than Edmonton involved, as I said, another Stanley Cup contender who tells him they believe he’s a top 4 right now will certainly be more attractive than Detroit telling him he’s “almost an NHL defenseman.”

But who knows what’s actually in his head compared to mindless repetitions of the MSM which may even be baseless anyway.  He very well may think as you and I think, “Salary and all things being equal, a shot at playing on the Red Wing roster is as good as I could hope for and the opportunity of a lifetime.”

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 06/26/12 at 04:23 PM ET