Abel to Yzerman

The Morning Skate

As most expected for the 7pm puck drop against Vancouver.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

Paul's avatar

Blashill tells the media no update on Larkin, still undergoing tests.

Also, Fabbri moves up a line and Carter Rowney will play tonight.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 10/16/21 at 10:19 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Joe Smith tweet,

Mathieu Joseph on hit on Larkin: “Borderline hit from me. Never want to injure the guy. It happened really fast. The puck jumped over his stick… I was already committed. I tried to push him. With the speed I had, it looked like I was hitting him from behind. I hope he’s okay.”

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 10/16/21 at 10:57 AM ET

Guarantee that’s after a talk from Hedman.  He’s was telling Larkin to stop being a bitch right after it.

Posted by ThatGuy on 10/16/21 at 11:45 AM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

He was committed to the hit, watching the numbers, and yet decided to shove him, still looking at the numbers.

Lol

Posted by ilovehomers on 10/16/21 at 01:28 PM ET

This is how Joseph plays.
He’s not a teenager or new to the league.
He’s been doing this for years.
He runs all over the ice looking for opportunities
to charge or board or hit opponents, especially the other
teams’ stars late.

He is going to have to answer for this.
His words ring absolutely hollow.
He targeted the neck of our captain just returning from
a major neck injury with his stick and forearm in a terrible spot.
This could have a serious impact on Larkin’s career and long term health.

It’s not 1996 but I think the way the Wings play has to change.
They have been targeted by opponents for years and years.
We keep waiting for the league to evolve as enforcers have largely disappeared.
But league is hopeless. Enforcers went away but the cheapshot artists didn’t and the
league never stepped up. The DoPS is still a bad joke.
Blashill hinted that maybe the Wings would have to respond in personnel and approach to being targeted and the league never doing anything.
Are two cheapshots to a very vulnerable risky area of your captain’s body - both ignored by the league and both requiring visits to medical specialists enough?
I would say so. If you have to jump Joseph and bloody him, do it. I know that sounds primitive, but I’ve had it. What’s worse - that response or a major, lingering neck injury? And don’t let Joseph distract from Benn. He’ll fight and he’s a good fighter, still. But I don’t think you have to ask when he feels like fighting or let him choose the opponent. Larkin has had to stand up for himself several times already in his young career. A handful against just the Lightning. Enough is enough.

Posted by lefty.30 on 10/16/21 at 02:22 PM ET

Alan's avatar

Posted by lefty.30 on 10/16/21 at 03:22 PM ET

I agree. The team has to change its perspective, and prioritize the protection of each other out there on the ice. The league damn sure isn’t gonna do it, so as Blash said yesterday, they’re gonna have to.

We’ve watched our guys get injured for over a decade now, with little to no discipline from the league against the offenders. It’s time for that to change.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 10/16/21 at 04:14 PM ET