Abel to Yzerman

The Blues Are Back In Town

First off, I could use whatever you folks are drinking tonight.

One of each would be just fine, just overnight it!

It feels like ages ago since we faced the Blues and things have changed.

The Wings are barely treading water while the Blues have grown up to become a team to deal with this season.

But none of this matters tonight and all we can ask of this winged-wheel team is keep delivering the effort.

Helm should help, but once again, it is all on Jimmy.

Deal with those cross-ice passes the Blues like to make and maybe, just maybe, we can start this stretch of home games at 2-0.

It's a live blog bitches and keep in my mind when watching the game on how much IwoCPO hated this team!

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

1 2 3 >  Last ›      Next »

Little Redhead's avatar

Thanks Paul!  Fed Ex should be there soon with my delivery for your drinking pleasure smile

Hoping Wings are Up for tonights “FUN”, and they get the 2 points we so desperately need.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Little Redhead from the Engineer's chair on 01/20/14 at 07:56 PM ET

Thanks, Boss.

Ah yes, the BBBBs and their sad sack fans cursed since the day Bowman was their rookie coach.  Got ZERO love for that team since their fans got all genuinely dicktacular about Vladdie.  Think SJS disappears annually from the playoffs?  B’lose have got that down to an art and science.

Go Wings.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 01/20/14 at 08:02 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

but once again, it is all on Jimmy.

He is doing his job keeping the puck out of the net.(NO JINK!) It’s up to the rest of the guys to do their part.
His mates need to score, early and often. The netting incident was just aboot the luckiest streak we’ve had around here in eons.

Time to keep er’ goin’. Bitches.

Thanks, Emperor.

Let’s Roll!

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 01/20/14 at 08:11 PM ET

Alan's avatar

Thanks Paul for getting us started this evening. In light of your situation, I’ll try to remember how to post an image here. This one’s for you.

Two points! Let’s get’em! LGRW!

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 01/20/14 at 08:12 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Thanks Alan, sure looks tempting.

Looking forward to the package LR.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/20/14 at 08:15 PM ET

Gary A$$ SUCK !!'s avatar

Tack Paul !!!
We are hoping for 2 easy point tonight..I know they can do it !!!
..Lets Go Red Wings !!!

Posted by Gary A$$ SUCK !! from Fort Myers, Florida on 01/20/14 at 08:20 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

It’s a live blog bitches and keep in my mind when watching the game on how much IwoCPO hated this team

Chief lives on here at A2Y. The place may not be quite the same, but it is still the house that Bill built.
Now lets kick some Bitter Bitch Blues ass.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 01/20/14 at 08:24 PM ET

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 01/20/14 at 07:12 PM ET

Looks like a bottle of Johnnie Walker Black Label scotch.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 01/20/14 at 08:25 PM ET

RorSchach's avatar

Fuch The Blues. That is all.

Win boys.

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 01/20/14 at 08:30 PM ET

Alan's avatar

Looks like a bottle of Johnnie Walker Black Label scotch.

A bottomless bottle of it, at that. Which is a perfect gift for all 19 of us.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 01/20/14 at 08:30 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

Evening all. Are we healthy yet?

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 01/20/14 at 08:30 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Go Wings.

Posted by SYF from calquake’s rug inspection office on 01/20/14 at 07:02 PM ET

Plus… THEY SUCK!

Posted by calquake on 01/20/14 at 08:31 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

“W”

That will be all.

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 01/20/14 at 08:32 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Mick with the wink. wink Me likey.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 01/20/14 at 08:33 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Hey guys.

I really have to apologize for being so absent this season.  Things change (i.e. having a significant significant other) and it makes being around this place as often as I’d like tough.

But with that outta the way.  Lets get a win over little brother tonight bitches!

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 01/20/14 at 08:33 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

So what’s the story on the chief?  Y’all sound like he retired.  I know he was out on deployment… but did I miss a sad day for the 19?

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 01/20/14 at 08:34 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Hey guys.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 01/20/14 at 07:33 PM ET

Ah, the “better half syndrome”. cheese  That’s okay, just convert her to being a Red Wings fan and all is forgiven.

Posted by calquake on 01/20/14 at 08:36 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

So I pay for Center Ice and the game is in Detroit tonight… yet I get blacked out b/c I live in Kansas City which is 3 1/2 hours from STL. Eff you Gary and eff STL.
Nothing worse than listening to Bernie F-ing Federko call a Wings game.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 01/20/14 at 08:36 PM ET

Lets get a win over little brother tonight bitches!

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 01/20/14 at 07:33 PM ET

Ain’t nothing “brother” ‘bout the B’lose.  They’re more like that creeper peeping Tom neighbor with the oversized binoculars checking out your daughter.  Fuch that team.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 01/20/14 at 08:37 PM ET

All right.  Here we go.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 01/20/14 at 08:38 PM ET

calquake's avatar

but did I miss a sad day for the 19?

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 01/20/14 at 07:34 PM ET

Yes indeed.  Life has caught up with the Chief and he’s on to bigger and better things.

Posted by calquake on 01/20/14 at 08:38 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 01/20/14 at 07:36 PM ET

Looks like I’m in the same boat.  If anyone has an FSD link, I’ll dance at your wedding.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 01/20/14 at 08:39 PM ET

Bez, [url=http://kuklaskorner.com/a2y/comments/iwocpo…departing]clicky.[/url

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 01/20/14 at 08:41 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 01/20/14 at 07:34 PM ET

Yep.

(the link is broke but here is the content ... )

IwoCPO…Departing

by IwoCPO on 11/28/13 at 04:36 PM ET
Comments (90)

It doesn’t take a pharmacist to figure out what’s happening here.  In fact, it’s been coming for a couple years.

In January it will be 9 years since we started A2Y and, simply, I’m going to fall just short of reaching that anniversary.  The main hatchway has, once and for all, given in.

Most of you know I started a new job in May and it’s one I’ve wanted my entire career.  In order to do it right, I’ve had to devote considerable time to it.  My family will attest to that, believe me.  But most of you have realized it too. Blogging hasn’t been possible. Paul’s carried me. George and Red Menace too.

But Balboa wasn’t fond of being carried and he let Mickey know that at the 22 minute mark of Rocky III, one of the most dramatic moments in American film history.  I’m not a fan of it either, and I told Paul this morning that an exit strategy was in order.  I’m not going to drag this out. I’m not going to sporadically post (anymore). I’m just gonna call it quits and thank all of you for being great friends.  I’m not sure what’s going to come of A2Y. I carry no parochial rights to the name or the blog, itself.  I’d say that if any of you are interested in stepping up, Paul would be very willing to listen.  The Live Blogs have carried Abel to Yzerman for the last couple years and I know the staple they’ve become for many of you on game day.

It’s hard to believe we’ve been going this long.  Together we’ve experienced some of the greatest moments in Red Wing history and we’ve suffered together through some soul-crushing episodes.  We’ve seen this team shift generations. We watched Nick Lidstrom hoist his final Stanley Cup together and it’s incredible to think that, as a group of 19, we never saw The Captain do the same.

We’ve waged silly wars with Dive fans, Pens fans, Duck fans, a Predator fan and the three people in Missouri who can read.  We’ve met Darren Garcia and cherished him for the city he represented so well.  We hated things together. Oh, my. Did we ever levy some hate.  Mostly me, but you guys too. Gary Bettman was target A#1. As I go out, I’d like to say to you Gary that I respect your role as commissioner of this great league and despite the criticism thrown at you here and from other corners, you’re a good man and your integrity should never have been questioned the way it was here from time to time.

Re-phrase: you’re a paranoid shrew who leads a pathetic league through incompetence, personal greed, personal bias and sheer stupidity. You’re a laughingstock and ripping you to shreds has brought me pleasure that borders on the physical.

Sorry. Got off track.

We rode Stress Trains together, nearly two hundred of them stretching across 8 Springs (minus Gary’s lockout year…you fuch).  We created juvenile names and they stuck: Charlie Buckets and William Tell. Tick Tock and Stillwuzzi, our favorite serial killer.  Wally and James Tiberius Howard.  You talked about his dong a lot.  We suffered through sphincter minutes and whiskey dick.  We loved our coach and we hated him.  We trusted him and we envied his hair.  We questioned him and we hailed him when he proved to be brilliant, which he is.  We begged Manny Legace to stop talking about it, and just do it.  We still talk about penalty kills from Kirk Maltby, Darren Helm and Hank Zetterberg.  We despised our villains: the Talbots, the Prongers, the Niedermayers. Many others.

We picked fights with other blogs. We stuck together at all times. We drank together and RWBill tried to pick up my wife right in front of me.  We are transplants and we are Michigan natives who never left.  I’ll always consider myself one of you, long after I’ve typed my last word here in a few minutes.

Paul has put up with a lot where A2Y is concerned. Man, the emails he’s gotten.  If I was a chick I’d put “LOL” right there.  The complaints from the masses about the fact that I may have said something a little offensive. But only a little.  He never once asked me to remove a word. Never changed a single post. Never did anything but defend us for our right to have an opinion.  He’s been a great boss and a great friend.

I had a blast here. I did. I loved letting my mind wander and flow through the keyboard right to this blog.  Little structure. Very little discipline. Even less neutrality. I never claimed to be anything other than an arrogant Wing fan who happened to have people to talk to about it. I loved it.  Truly.

But I don’t have the time and, honestly, I can’t remember the last post I gave you that was more than a few paragraphs and even those felt forced.  I told my wife about this today and she asked if it was permanent or a sabbatical or what. I’d say it’s permanent. I don’t see my job slowing down and, I don’t know…maybe I’ll throw something up when the playoffs start. But I’m not counting on it. I plan to be at sea, on a Destroyer, probably throwing up because that thing moves in heavy seas, brother.

Thanks for reading me the last (almost) 9 years. Thanks for your friendship and your loyalty to the greatest organ-i-zation in sports. Ever.

Somewhere Murph is frigging wasted.  The Cup comes back to Detroit about 20 Tuesdays from the next one.  16 more wins to 12.

I’m out.  Bitches.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 01/20/14 at 08:42 PM ET

I see God on the ice and I’s happy.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 01/20/14 at 08:42 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

The Blues broadcast just compared the Wings to the Blue Jackets…..  any one have any everclear?

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 01/20/14 at 08:42 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Life has caught up with the Chief and he’s on to bigger and better things

Don’t downplay the 19, sir.
I’d not have had the chance to tip beers with you in CA and MI if not for this asylum.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 01/20/14 at 08:43 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

Kill it with fire

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 01/20/14 at 08:43 PM ET

Okay, we got that now.  Obvious holding is obvious.  Thanks, dumbass ref.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 01/20/14 at 08:43 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

SYF, Stonehands.. Thanks.

That really sucks, but, that’s life I guess.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 01/20/14 at 08:44 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Wings losing critical faceoffs like that makes me miss Pavel even more.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 01/20/14 at 08:44 PM ET

Alan's avatar

Kill. It.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 01/20/14 at 08:44 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Zebra suckage didn’t take very long.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 01/20/14 at 08:45 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

James.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 01/20/14 at 08:45 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

Ya Bez. I missed the Chief’s farewell post during the Thanksgiving weekend catching up a few days later.

Kill this pp.

Posted by cigar_nurse from Greenville South Cakalakee on 01/20/14 at 08:45 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Jimmy will be tracking the puck early….
And often.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 01/20/14 at 08:45 PM ET

sjketcheson's avatar

FSD feeds in inboxes Bez and MO

Posted by sjketcheson from Ottawa on 01/20/14 at 08:46 PM ET

Q beat up on Sobotka.  He’s supposed to make me like him.  Try harder, Q.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 01/20/14 at 08:46 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

Jeebus Q-ball. It’s not OK to force feed a guy the dasher boards

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 01/20/14 at 08:47 PM ET

So, yeah, Nike interfered with and a blind eye was turned.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 01/20/14 at 08:47 PM ET