Abel to Yzerman

The Big Game At The Big House

Yesterday's games had a sit back, reminisce a bit and relax feel to it.

Today, the stress level will be on the upswing once again.

First a few bits-Channel 4, the local NBC affiliate will have a pre-game show on at 12:30pm ET today and CBC/HNIC does too.

Game time is just after 1:00pm ET on NBC and CBC.plus RDS.

Question of the day for Detroit fans, will Jimmy Howard have a bounce back game?

Because of the ice conditions, expect a north/south game and play in front of the net will be crucial.

No matter of the outcome, it should be an enjoyable event to watch.

But, knowing Detroit fans, the stress level will be high and a perfect game will be expected.

It's a live blog bitches on the first day of a new year.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous       ‹ First  < 10 11 12

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

See y’all later. Go Spartans.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 01/01/14 at 05:50 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

I’ll say it:  Gustafsson should’ve played and would’ve won it.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 01/01/14 at 05:51 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Burn Howard at the stake!

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 01/01/14 at 05:51 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Unfucking believable.  Jimmy cant possibly think he deserves to be on Team Canada playing like that.  His team works its ass off, maybe playing one of the best games they’ve played all year, and he screws the pooch when they needed him to make 3 fuching stops.

Posted by Hootinani on 01/01/14 at 05:51 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

Goaltending— the achilles heel of this team, And so the better team did not win today.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 01/01/14 at 05:51 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Posted by Hootinani on 01/01/14 at 04:51 PM ET

I wish he was playing for team Canada. He’s on team USA

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 01/01/14 at 05:52 PM ET

Bent's avatar

Seriously, did no one see him on the second shootout goal?  He is still favoring the left knee.  Either the cold is bothering it more than it has been lately, or he rushed back for this game.

Posted by Bent from The U.P. on 01/01/14 at 05:52 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

Jimmy cant possibly think he deserves to be on Team Canada playing like that.

As an American, I say let team Canada have him!

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 01/01/14 at 05:52 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Maybe Jimmah will be a better broadcaster than Ozzie one day

Posted by dougie on 01/01/14 at 04:50 PM ET

One day soon?

Posted by Hootinani on 01/01/14 at 05:52 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

deserves to be on Team Canada

I’d rather he be on Team Canada, but, he’s American. wink

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 01/01/14 at 05:53 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

I wish he was playing for team Canada. He’s on team USA

not a chance in hell

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 01/01/14 at 05:53 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

As an American, I say let team Canada have him!

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 01/01/14 at 04:52 PM ET

Sorry, meant USA, just flustered

Posted by Hootinani on 01/01/14 at 05:53 PM ET

Gary A$$ SUCK !!'s avatar

Jimmy cant possibly think he deserves to be on Team Canada playing like that.

As an American, I say let team Canada have him!

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 01/01/14 at 04:5

Ha ha ha ha ha…ood one

Posted by Gary A$$ SUCK !! from Fort Myers, Florida on 01/01/14 at 05:54 PM ET

5.3 million bucks a year and Detroit constantly loses the goalie matchup, and the goalie has the fourth worst SO save percentage in the whole bleeping NHL.

I am beginning to develop feelings of dread regarding Jimmy Howard.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 01/01/14 at 05:54 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

The shitty thing is, Id be surprised if we see another complete game effort like that all season, and it was pissed away.

Posted by Hootinani on 01/01/14 at 05:57 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

As I like to say, $5 million dollars worth of fail.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 01/01/14 at 05:57 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 01/01/14 at 06:00 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Howard, the bench warmer for Team USA.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 01/01/14 at 06:00 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Ben Bishop, and Team USA, just got fuched

Posted by Hootinani on 01/01/14 at 06:00 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

How the fuch does Howard make that squad???

David Poile smokes crack?  who knew?

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 01/01/14 at 06:01 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

I mean hell, I love to see failure rewarded as much as the next guy but fuch, how does that even happen?

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 01/01/14 at 06:02 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 01/01/14 at 05:02 PM ET

Failing upward is the American Way after all

Posted by Hootinani on 01/01/14 at 06:02 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Did Blabcock steal Murph’s glasses?

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 01/01/14 at 06:03 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 01/01/14 at 05:02 PM ET

Well this is corporate america so we see that everyday.

Posted by calquake on 01/01/14 at 06:03 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

Sorry, meant USA, just flustered

Posted by Hootinani on 01/01/14 at 04:53 PM ET

I figured as much.  I’m right there with you.  This is damn frustrating.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 01/01/14 at 06:06 PM ET

gowings's avatar

“I wish he was playing for team Canada. He’s on team USA”

Shit no! a bit of respect for Canadians here LOL:) I have to say that I am not sure I understand the reasoning for him to be there…..

Starting Sat…HELL WEEK. I hope Gus is feeling good, bc Howie will have problems :(

Posted by gowings from MTL on 01/01/14 at 06:22 PM ET

moocat's avatar

Aside from the Shootout Howard played well today. Gus has been coming back to earth of late and Howard has to get some time in net if he is ever going to get back in the groove.

Howard got the nod for team USA due to his international experience. He’s not likely to play so it’s unlikely to be a factor.

Posted by moocat on 01/01/14 at 06:35 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

I think Gus’s coming back to earth has been more because of the injury decimated team in front of him than anything he’s failed to do, really.  And that’s why I’m scared of Howard trying to get back in the groove in front of this defense.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 01/01/14 at 06:38 PM ET

Gary A$$ SUCK !!'s avatar

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 01/01/14 at 05:38 PM ET

I’m totaly agree with you !!!

Posted by Gary A$$ SUCK !! from Fort Myers, Florida on 01/01/14 at 06:39 PM ET

The team was hurt more when he was called up, you know.

Gus hasn’t fallen back to earth, he’s playing as he should be reasonably expected to play.  He’s a 15ish goal, 40ish point player at the NHL level right now.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 01/01/14 at 06:55 PM ET

Bent's avatar

Posted by HockeyinHD on 01/01/14 at 05:55 PM ET

I think he means Gustavson, not Nyquist

Posted by Bent from The U.P. on 01/01/14 at 07:05 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

I haven’t watched all the games, but two games ago I watched Gustavsson make some incredible kick saves and win a game for the Wings in regulation.

if that’s falling to earth, more please.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 01/02/14 at 08:15 PM ET