Abel to Yzerman

Thanks Mr. I

This is why a rich guy owns professional sports teams, or it should be the reason why a rich guy owns pro sports teams.

MLive

“He just wants people to come to downtown Detroit to be happy about something one way or another.”

Gammons took it a step further, calling the signing an act of charity by Ilitch toward the city.

“They don’t have to worry on the Tigers, about losing money,” Gammons said. “That’s a fact of life. You can’t do that in Cleveland. You can’t do that in Kansas City. You can’t do that in most cities. The Tigers have done it because Mike Ilitch wants to give people in Detroit something to be joyous about. In some ways, to me, he’s one of the most charitable men in America.”

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

RWBill's avatar

Yes, He’s a Prince of a man.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 01/24/12 at 11:46 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

at that price i hope he’s a good fielder too.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 01/24/12 at 11:53 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

loss of victor was a huge blow, this might offset it, and then some, but what a cost.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 01/24/12 at 11:55 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

not to deviate from baseball too much, but blues are being beaten by the pens with one period to go, and the hawks being beaten, again, by the prednecks.  this would help open some space, rather maintain the present distance, between the wings and the other two.  preds are putting themselves squarely into the mix if they keep this lead.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 01/24/12 at 11:58 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Winter Classic tickets just went up from $500 to $5000.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/25/12 at 12:00 AM ET

Gumby's avatar

Detroit is so lucky to have him.  His contributions to the city far exceed the accomplishments of his sports teams.  Prince Fielder is just another example of Mr. Ilitch’s loyalty to his former players and their families.

Posted by Gumby from the city with more ruins than Rome on 01/25/12 at 12:02 AM ET

Primis's avatar

I was absolutely blindsided and dumbfounded by the news.

I don’t pretend to be a huge or the biggest Tigers fan.  I’m Wings first, everything else second.  However, I do root for and follow the Tigers (whereas I don’t follow or root for the Piston and Lions at all and could truly care less if they packed up and left town because they bring nothing to the city or the state.  Nothing.).

My first thought on confirmation was absolutely and honestly about Illitch: “Wow, how can there possibly be a better owner in sports?”.  When the time is right, he’s not afraid to spend.  And signing Prince isn’t a shot across the bow of the Sawx, Yanks, and Rangers… it’s pulling your ride right up to them and plain mooning them.  And who doesn’t love that?

And RWBill… go to your room.  Those were awful.  wink

Posted by Primis on 01/25/12 at 12:12 AM ET

bezukov's avatar

Mike Illitch.  American Goddam Hero.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 01/25/12 at 12:21 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

Honestly, though I don’t ever remember NOT being a Tigers fan, Ernie Harwell and WJR were always on in my house, my first thought was ” how much of this could have gone to build a new olympia near the Fox Theater? “

but this is a stunner,  too bad they don’t have him plus victor martinez.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 01/25/12 at 12:27 AM ET

Mike Illitch.  American Goddam Hero.

Posted by bezukov from South of Detroit on 01/24/12 at 10:21 PM ET

What you said.

Posted by mc keeper on 01/25/12 at 12:32 AM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

The Pizzaman. The best sports team owner bar none. Can’t believe a major street is not named after him in Motown.

Posted by cigar_nurse from Greenville South Cakalakee on 01/25/12 at 12:32 AM ET

Gumby's avatar

Posted by cigar_nurse from Greenville South Cakalakee on 01/24/12 at 10:32 PM ET

I can think of three major streets:  Mr. “I”-75, Mr. “I”-94 and Mr. “I”-96

Posted by Gumby from the city with more ruins than Rome on 01/25/12 at 12:59 AM ET

Denver Wings's avatar

This.

God Bless You, Mr. I.

Posted by Denver Wings on 01/25/12 at 01:16 AM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

The cost? It’s the equivalent of this year’s cap hit for Pavel, Hank, Franzen and Lidstrom combined. For that kind of money, he’d better hit 50 homers and drive in 130 runs. And we’d better see him break a sweat sometime before the temp hits 80°.

Seriously, I love the Tigers and the team that Mr. I has built them into. But to pay someone/anyone that kind of money to stand around and do nothing for 80% of the time he’s on the field? Somehow it just doesn’t seem right.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 01/25/12 at 01:26 AM ET

Mr I, indeed a prince of man.
Another son of God if you ask me, just like us all.
He knows how to search the heart.
Never stop the belief.
E-52.
I believe.

Posted by Jasper on 01/25/12 at 01:35 AM ET

Baroque's avatar

I’m sure he would spend a lot more for hockey players if there wasn’t a salary cap restricting it. This is how much Fielder was going to get from someone - it was just a matter of which team it was going to be to pay it. The contract is what most figured he would command, the surprise is it was the Tigers who paid it.

Different sports, different salary structures. It’s why $20 million a year doesn’t happen in hockey and it does in baseball. /shrug

Posted by Baroque from Michigan on 01/25/12 at 06:00 AM ET

On a different, non-capped league.

Posted by Herm from the office on 01/25/12 at 08:15 AM ET

monkey's avatar

We live in a crazy world where we can be thankful that one man is paying some other man $20 million a year to play a game.

And it’s not charity, it’s business.  I don’t doubt the good intentions of Mike Illitch, I’m glad he’s a Detroiter and a Michigander, and I wouldn’t want any other man and/or family owning the Red Wings.  But calling his business pursuits “charity” is absurd.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 01/25/12 at 10:06 AM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Posted by OlderThanChelios on 01/24/12 at 11:26 PM ET

I remember saying the same thing when the Tigers signed Miguel Cabrera.  That worked out pretty well…

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 01/25/12 at 10:16 AM ET

Norskirama's avatar

I know it’s a business and I guess I don’t understand lots of it, but being a Brewers fan, it bothers me when it comes to loyalty.  One of the things I like about the Wings is that there is that loyalty to the team and the city.  Prince Fielder may have been joking when he said he needed more money to buy purses for his wife, but it was hard to understand for folksespecially the unemployed and underemployed in Wisconsin to understand.  Yup, it’s a business and I guess one should go wherever the money is.  So good luck Princie and all the best to the Tigers…

Posted by Norskirama from Lincoln, Nebraska on 01/25/12 at 10:28 AM ET

Hootinani's avatar

So what you’re saying is, there’s another sport besides hockey?

Posted by Hootinani on 01/25/12 at 10:55 AM ET

RedMenace's avatar

So what you’re saying is, there’s another sport besides hockey?

Posted by Hootinani on 01/25/12 at 08:55 AM ET

LIES!!!

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 01/25/12 at 12:50 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Listen, I get that baseball and hockey have two different salary structures. My point was to compare the value of what $20M will get you in hockey versus baseball. I think the Tigers would have a legitimate chance at making it to the World Series without Fielder. But the Wings without Pavel, Hank, Mule and TPH?

Anyway, I’m glad the Tigers got Fielder, in part because of his link to a past Tiger great. It definitely will make it a lot more fun to watch the snore-fest that a baseball game represents (when compared to a hockey game).

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 01/25/12 at 01:44 PM ET

Indeed.  No owner quite like Mr. Ilitch.  Cannot have asked for a better man to be the owner of the greatest franchise in professional sports.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 01/25/12 at 02:51 PM ET