Abel to Yzerman

Stay Safe

The month of April normally kicks off with a day of pranks and jokes, but this year I am in no mood for laughs.

If you believe what we are being told here in the USA, the death count by the coronavirus is about to see a tremendous increase the next few weeks.

I hope and even ask you to stay home if at all possible.  I talked with a girl in her late 20's last night and she doesn't think she can remain "locked up" for three weeks.

I asked what about the alternative- chances of death increase the more you leave the house and come in contact with other people.  She said she would take her chances.

I pray people with those types of thoughts get the message quickly, they are putting themselves at greater risk along with all the people they come in contact with.  Then it snowballs and continues to get bigger.

Please stay home, our game will be back at some time, but right now we have a much bigger battle to deal with.  It certainly is a matter of live and possibly death.

Be well everyone.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

Agree, Boss.  The old expression:  “It’ll get worse before it gets better,” certainly applies here.  Here in Nevada, there are 26 deaths statewide (in a state of 2.9 million), 23 just in Vegas alone.

So we’re expecting that number to double by Good Friday.

Devastating times, but we’re keeping our nightly prayers for the whole world.

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 04/01/20 at 02:01 PM ET

I work for a large bank and can assure you, everyone there has the thought process of that girl.  Im essential but Id rather stay home

Posted by ThatGuy on 04/01/20 at 02:16 PM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

I would remind them that the hospital bills alone will make you wish you had stayed home. I saw a Youtube video about a walking dead actor that got billed over 9 grand for an emergency room visit to get tested and he never even got tested as they didn’t have any test kits. STAY HOME !!

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 04/01/20 at 03:04 PM ET

Thanks Paul.

I’m still amazed at how many people are going into grocery
stores at peak hours without masks. I was the only one wearing an (improvised) mask the previous time I went in. Saw one older couple coming out this week both wearing masks and thought: bravo!

Admittedly it was a week wait, but I signed up for curbside grocery pickup last time.

And have never been more grateful for drive-thru pharmacy windows.

By the way, here are a couple DIY mask instructions for those without access or who want to save them for the folks on the front lines:

Wear them everywhere you can’t avoid for work or essential errands.

Stay safe everybody!

Posted by lefty.30 on 04/01/20 at 03:14 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

All the grocery stores here in Oregon have marked out little X’s on the floor 6 feet from each other for you to stand on and limit the number of people allowed in at one time, so there’s no peak.  Does mean you have to go at odd hours to get anything.

That beer cellar is coming handy right around now!

Posted by Hippy Dave from Somewhere West of Detroit on 04/01/20 at 04:31 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

My first instinct was to wear some type of protective covering no matter what the “authorities” said. Seeing the rest of the world masked up, and, so many people here in the USA just going about their business as usual unprotected is foolish. No, I didn’t hoard anything, but, hindsight’ is 20/20. We’re locked down here now and only venture out for medicines, and, exercise. I have been keeping my distance from everyone and have been for at least 4 weeks. The hardest thing is not being able to visit my Grandchildren who are right down the road. But as long as I play it smart, hopefully I’ll be able to hug and hold them soon. All the best to everyone here and the entire Planet. Take care, y’all…..

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 04/01/20 at 07:06 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

My Wife and I have stayed home since March 14th. We should be in good shape with groceries into May. cheese

Posted by bigfrog on 04/01/20 at 09:18 PM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

28 University of Texas spring breakers who flouted public health advice test positive for coronavirus

Out of 70 that went to Mexico.

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 04/01/20 at 11:28 PM ET