Abel to Yzerman

St. James: Wings Land The Swiss Kid

Interesting start to the day by the Wings.

Helene St. James

The Detroit Red Wings appear to have reeled in Damien Brunner, a sought-after European unrestricted free agent.

Swiss media is reporting Brunner will sign with the Wings. Attempts to reach general manager Ken Holland by the Free Press were not immediately successful. Brunner can reach a deal any time, as he’s not associated with any NHL team at the moment, but he can’t sign until July 1.

Brunner is 26 and a star scorer in the Swiss league. He led the league in scoring with 24 goals and 36 assists in 45 games last season. He had 46 points in 40 games in 20-10-11, and 23 goals among 58 points in ‘09-10.

He’s drawn interest from numerous NHL teams including Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay, Washington, Montreal, and Philadelphia, among others.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous        < 1 2 3

I thought beer in hell would be Bud Light Platinum, Special Edition: tripled filtered through Satan’s ass crack.

Posted by monkey from my dumbphone on 06/22/12 at 06:23 PM ET

Brunner’s like a grittier, slightly less fancy Omark who’s coachable and gives a crap. The downside is I have visions of him dancing into traffic and getting disintegrated by Doug Murray, who probably has triple Brunner’s mass.

Posted by larry from pitt on 06/22/12 at 06:35 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Breakfast of Champions.

Posted by calquake on 06/22/12 at 06:40 PM ET

monkey's avatar

There’s a lot of whiny bitches in here for a Friday. If the Wings hadn’t signed him some of you would be complaining that Tick Tock was letting yet another one slip through his fingers.

We wait, we see, we criticize after the fact.  A2Y SOP.

I am on a bus with 50 people in Portland OR, and they all want to know why I am laughing so hard that I can’t talk.

Wow- you’re doing well if you ended up in a paddy wagon in Portland.  Cocaine really is a hell of a drug.

That happened to my sister.  She was such a talented ballerina, but we never could get her to look both ways.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 06/22/12 at 06:47 PM ET

NIVO's avatar

well if your short you got a better chance of ducking the haymaker(s) that put your head in the glass. Ain’t that right Shed Butter?

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 06/22/12 at 07:09 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Would Jesus take as long as the jury is taking to decide the fate of Jerry Sandusky?

Only if he wanted to get crucified… again.

Posted by calquake on 06/22/12 at 04:57 PM ET

OMFG folks!  Worse than South Park or Family Guy.  I’m going to try hard to remember these.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 06/22/12 at 09:11 PM ET

What did you say his name was?  Fabian Brunnstrom?  Ville Leino?

Posted by monkey from lighting my nuts on fire on 06/22/12 at 09:04 AM ET

Ilari Filppula

Posted by Alex on 06/22/12 at 09:29 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

I will give credit to the Swiss for putting out a team that had a surprisingly good showing in the Olympics and respectably again in this year’s Worlds.  However that does not negate the abrupt and substantial drop off of talent top to bottom in the Swiss league, so I’m sceptical of just statistics.  Enough people seem interested in this guy Fabian Ilari Brunnerstrom to give him a chance, so good luck to him.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 06/23/12 at 10:28 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

Sceptic or septic or skeptic?

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 06/23/12 at 10:56 AM ET

Behind_Enemy_Lines's avatar

If we draft Jesus, can we get Zombie Jesus? I will settle for baby Jesus, but I prefer the Lord of Zombies.

Posted by Behind_Enemy_Lines from Evanston,IL on 06/23/12 at 02:17 PM ET