Abel to Yzerman

St. James: Osgood’s Likely Back

Helene doesn’t say how she knows, but we assume she got a text from a BFF and hence…

The Red Wings have scheduled a conference call for Tuesday where they are expected to announce goaltender Chris Osgood will be back for another season.

If she’s right, we’re to assume Osgood is completely healthy. No ill effects from the groin or whatever else has ailed him for the past two seasons.

Right?  Sentimentality’s a wicked drug.

For the record, I’m against this.  Nothing about Osgood the last two seasons gives us any indication that this is a smart move.  The minute Osgood says he’s coming back, the best backup on the market (to include him) is gone and this time for good. Ty Conklin should have been signed two weeks ago.

Could St. James be wrong? Sure.  But that would mean some seriously risky speculation on her part.  Too risky for our conservative Diggers.  Also, a conference call? Chris Osgood is not going to retire via conference call.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

1 2 >       Next »

calquake's avatar

Ruh roh.

Posted by calquake on 07/18/11 at 06:37 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Helene you female dog.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 07/18/11 at 06:48 PM ET

This signing of a backup goaltender will be regarded (laughably) as an awful move, an overreaction of Red Wings Fan-ian proportions.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 07/18/11 at 06:51 PM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

Posted by HockeyinHD on 07/18/11 at 05:51 PM ET

Interesting.  And when Babcock doesn’t trust that backup for three months straight and the starter is either exhausted or at 80 percent come April, will that be an overreaction of Red Wing fan-ian or, say, Predator fan-ian proportions?

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 07/18/11 at 06:53 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

What is an overreaction of Predator fan-ian proportions?

Is that like where one dude kicks his dog and throws his can of Natty Light out the wide-open front door?

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/18/11 at 06:57 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

I don’t think the announcement is a signing. I think Ozzie gets to prove himself in camp, and he will either prove he can go, or Kenny will make a trade during the first 1/3 of the season with Joey Mac spelling Jimmy for maybe 6-7 games max. By then, Kenny will have packaged the midget czech and draft picks for a solid #2 goalie. Everybody take a deep breath.

Posted by Down River Dan on 07/18/11 at 07:01 PM ET

Hockeytown Wax's avatar

Ozzy just got back from golfing in Scotland & Ireland ... does he want to schlep all the way to Detroit just to do the retirement song & dance or would he rather stay home & do it via conference call?  He’s staying in the organ-i-zation anyways so its not like he’s going anywhere ... he’s just not playing hockey anymore.

I say he’s done and a Conklin signing is announced an hour or 2 after the conference call is done.

But I could be wrong.

Somebody flip a coin ... LOL

Posted by Hockeytown Wax from West Bloomfield, Mi. on 07/18/11 at 07:01 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

errrrrr

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 07/18/11 at 07:07 PM ET

CaptNorris5's avatar

While we’re on the topic of sentimentality…

Isn’t it almost as reliant on sentimentality to put full faith in Conklin as it would be for Ozzie? Sure, you’ve gotta look back three years to find a consistent, reliable Osgood. But you’ve gotta look back two years to find a consistent, reliable Conklin. The fact is, Conklin was god-awful last year.

Sure, sure. He played behind a garbage team. Are we just going to decide that because his defense sucked he’s completely off the hook? I mean… if that’s the case, where’s the credit to Ozzie playing in a McCrimmon coached defense that has been pretty much shit for the last couple seasons? Just watching Conklin, he was off - WAY OFF - last year. To the point that he easily cleared waivers, without another team (including Detroit) so much as considering adding him to a roster. For free.

If Ozzie retires - cool. No biggie. We can move on and see what kind of package Kenny can put together to trade for a reliable backup, because the ones on the market are terrible. Plus, maybe then (probably not) Wings fans everywhere can stop MFing the guy with three rings and 400 wins.

If Ozzie sticks around - well, then who actually thinks Kenny hasn’t done his due diligence to make sure that the decision is in the best interest of the team? I mean, sure, the guy signed Ericsson, but he’s allowed one mistake in his career.

Posted by CaptNorris5 from The Winged Wheel, stuck in Chicago on 07/18/11 at 07:12 PM ET

Chris Osgood is not going to retire via conference call.

He just flew from Scotland (Ireland?) to BC.  Now he’s going to fly from BC to Detroit (and bring his family with him) for a retirement announcement?  Especially if it’s more of a “we don’t trust your health so we’re not re-signing you” retirement than an “I have nothing left to prove” retirement?

Isn’t it almost as reliant on sentimentality to put full faith in Conklin as it would be for Ozzie?  The fact is, Conklin was god-awful last year.

I actually think you’re right.  However, you’re assuming that Conklin is the only option.

There are several options better than either Osgood or Conklin.

Please retire, Ozzie.  Please make him retire, Kenny.

Please let Jimmy have a capable, healthy NHL-calibre back up for once.  Please?

Posted by Garth on 07/18/11 at 07:25 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Posted by CaptNorris5 from The Winged Wheel, stuck in Chicago on 07/18/11 at 06:12 PM ET

I support this.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/18/11 at 07:26 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

It’s hard to believe Helene could be wrong, but it’s equally hard to believe that Holland and Babcock have that much faith in Ozzie at this point. Geezuz. We’ll see. But I don’t think the phone call signifies anything except that Ozzie wants to stay at home right now.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 07/18/11 at 07:34 PM ET

No, that will be a poor use of goaltenders by Mike Babcock.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 07/18/11 at 07:56 PM ET

Please let Jimmy have a capable, healthy NHL-calibre back up for once.  Please?

Like?

Posted by HockeyinHD on 07/18/11 at 07:57 PM ET

Hockeytown Wax's avatar

Like?
Maybe Holland finally wrestles Nabakov away from the Islanders?
We still gotta dump Hudler on somebody ... bwaaahahaha

Posted by Hockeytown Wax from West Bloomfield, Mi. on 07/18/11 at 08:10 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

What is it about the name “Ozzie”? Neither the hockey player or the rock star know when to retire.

Ozzie, you had a great run. We owe you a lot of thanks. But just retire, and take a comfy front office job. Or hop in the booth with Ken and Mick. You did a great job when the team was out west this past season.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 07/18/11 at 08:12 PM ET

Like?

Darren Pang

Posted by Garth on 07/18/11 at 08:31 PM ET

Posted by HockeyinHD on 07/18/11 at 06:57 PM ET

Turco.
Emery.
Leighton.
Bobrovsky.
Conklin.
Nabokov.

You know, off the top of my head.

Posted by Garth on 07/18/11 at 08:34 PM ET

Chris from NOHS's avatar

Lambert, is that you in Garth’s clothing?

(If it is, then f#ck off.)

Posted by Chris from NOHS from Columbus, OH/Grand Rapids, MI on 07/18/11 at 09:05 PM ET

Forlorn in VA's avatar

I really don’t understand all the Ozzie hate here.  I don’t think he played all that badly before he was injured last year.  I guess I’m just much more of an optimist than a lot of you are.  I have seen nothing that makes me think that Conklin (as badly as he played the last 2 years) is any better of an option than Ozzie.  None of us know how healthy he is, but ANY goalie can get injured during the season.

Posted by Forlorn in VA on 07/18/11 at 09:10 PM ET

joedaiceman's avatar

Call me a sentimental fool, but I like the possiblility of Osgood returning. I’ll never forget the playoffs of 2009 when everyone said he was washed up and he did yeoman’s work, worthy of the Conn Symthe. Holland’s instincts have proven much better than anyone else’s in hockey. I am not going to consign to him an emotional fling regarding Ozzie, he is too much the consumate professional that always puts the teams needs over anything else.

Posted by joedaiceman on 07/18/11 at 09:14 PM ET

If Ozzie’s coming back (and it’s likely he will), then I’m presuming he’s going to spend his summer getting in serious shape for the season.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 07/18/11 at 09:29 PM ET

CaptNorris5's avatar

Turco.

Snort. Pass.

Emery.

Wait… I thought we were worried about having a substantial injury risk… Pass.

Conklin.

Fewer goaltenders had worse stats than Marty Turco last year. Ty Conklin was one of them. Pass.

Leighton, Bobrovsky, Nabokov.

These I’d be alright with. However, it would require a pretty favorable trade. I, for one, am not into the idea of trading Hudler for a backup netminder. I’m by no means hesitant to point out that the guy has played like garbage (zap him in the dick), but he does have some real potential behind him. He can be a contributor, and has been in the past. If we trade him, I’d like a bit more value than a guy who - considering Babcock’s history with goaltenders - is likely to see about 20 starts max. It’ll leave a hole in our forward corps that will need to be refilled. It’d be OK if it means that opens up room for both Emmerton and Draper, and Kenny will be able to mastermind a trade for a top 6 guy later in the season, but I’m not sure I see that happening.

Either way, outside of Ozzie, the only real options are via trade. If Kenny trusts in Ozzie enough to give him another year - awesome. We don’t have to give anything up, we’ve got an insurance policy in Joey Mac, and we can always trade for one of those guys later if we absolutely have to.

Posted by CaptNorris5 from The Winged Wheel, stuck in Chicago on 07/18/11 at 09:58 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

Assuming this is true, all it really says to me is that, after exploring his options in the free agent market this summer. KH has very likely determined that a healthy Osgood is the best avalable option at the moment and is simply giving Ozzie a final chance to prove he can still play at the NHL level.

Ozzie will start the season as the backup, and Joey MacDonald and his two-way contract is what Jim Nill referred to as an “insurance policy”.  If Ozzie isn’t up to the task, then Joey can be a short term fill in.  Ultimately though I think Ozzie has to prove he can still play at a high level.  If he can, then he remains the backup.  Otherwise, there’s plenty of cap money to make a move before the deadline.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 07/18/11 at 10:00 PM ET

Turco.
Emery.
Leighton.
Bobrovsky.
Conklin.
Nabokov.

Shake ‘em up and pick one out of a hat.  There’s very little to separate most of those guys either from each other or from Osgood.

That’s why I always get a bit bemused about the degree of angst over Holland bringing back Osgood.

Behind a pretty good defense, Turco was over a 3 GAA and under a .900 save%.
Emery’s as much of a health risk as Osgood, and not exactly a great lockerroom guy.
Leighton hardly played at all last year.  Bobrovsky’s already under contract.  Conklin was terrible last year.  Nabokov is owned by the Isles.

Enh.  The guys who are UFAs aren’t upgrades, the guys who aren’t UFAs aren’t enough of an upgrade to warrant spending assets to bring them in as a freaking backup goalie.

Seriously, is having MacDonald behind Osgood in case of injury such an awful plan?  Not remotely.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 07/18/11 at 10:06 PM ET

Difference is that in the last two years each and every other choice has played NHL calibre hockey.

Can’t say that about Osgood.

Oh, and none of them have taken WAY longer than it should take to recover from an injury.

And none of them are 38.

Yeah, except that Emery came BACK from an injury and played well.  Osgood’s health wasn’t trusted enough to even be the back up.

And not a great lockeroom guy?  If you’re going to overlook Osgood’s shit play the last few years why are you hanging on to rumours from 3 years ago?

Leighton hardly played at all last year.

Philly was logjammed in goal.

Bobrovsky’s already under contract.

Philly is logjammed in goal.

And Philly hasn’t made a single trade this off-season…

Conklin was terrible last year.

On a terrible team.

And he’s healthy.

Nabokov is owned by the Isles.

I think there’s some procedure in the NHL that allows teams to exchange, or “trade” if you will, assets to other teams.  I’m no expert on the NHL’s rules, but I think I’ve read that somewhere.  Can somebody back me up?

Yes, when there are much better options around it absolutely is.

When is having a third goalie in line because you don’t know you can trust your back up ever a good idea?

Instead of signing Ian White, they should’ve just put Ericsson in the #4 hole unquestioned and then signed every AHL journeyman defenseman in case Ericsson didn’t work out.

Back-up goaltending by committee!  WHAT AN AMAZING IDEA!!!!

Posted by Garth on 07/18/11 at 10:29 PM ET

CaptNorris5's avatar

Back-up goaltending by committee!  WHAT AN AMAZING IDEA!!!!

Posted by Garth on 07/18/11 at 09:29 PM ET

Man, when you put it that way, it’s so clear to me how inept Ken Holland is. He sure was lucky to just sort of guess his way to the winningest team in hockey during his tenure in the front office.

Someone should really look into shitcanning everyone who’s ever made a decision for the Wings and bring on the age of Garth.  We can all ride Marty Turco into the sunset and enjoy a horizon full of Stanley Cups.

Posted by CaptNorris5 from The Winged Wheel, stuck in Chicago on 07/18/11 at 10:37 PM ET

CaptNorris5's avatar

Plus, there’s nothing “by committee” about it. Just because MacDonald is in the AHL and can serve as an insurance policy, it doesn’t mean that absolutely nobody in the organ-i-zation trusts Osgood and we’re going to see a revolving door of net minders backing up Howard.

I’m guessing you’ve got fire insurance on your house, right? What is it about your house that makes you so positive it’s going to burn down? Why don’t you trust your house!? It must be a nightmare to live with the constant knowledge that your house is going to burst into flames at ANY MOMENT!

The fact that there’s a Plan B doesn’t mean that everyone is confident that Plan A is guaranteed to fail.

Posted by CaptNorris5 from The Winged Wheel, stuck in Chicago on 07/18/11 at 10:43 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

I’m betting Ozzie will play solid and will win 15 games.

That could also be the 5 Guiness I’ve had talking. But I’m saying it will work out, andwill also leave us money to spend at the trade deadline.

I don’t care how he played for the ducks down the stretch, Babcock & Holland would NEVER bring a psycho head case like that into the Wings locker room, unlessof course,  his last name happened to be Hasik.

Posted by Down River Dan on 07/18/11 at 11:02 PM ET

HockeyTownTodd's avatar

No, that will be a poor use of goaltenders by Mike Babcock.....again
Posted by HockeyinHD

I fix

Posted by HockeyTownTodd on 07/18/11 at 11:36 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

Ozzie, Ozzie, Ozzie, ...

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 07/18/11 at 11:47 PM ET

Surfer Ken's avatar

Ozzie hasn’t played well consistently since the day after he signed that 2 year extension a few years ago.  That season up to that point he was on fire.  I remember it clearly.

Posted by Surfer Ken from San Clemente on 07/18/11 at 11:50 PM ET

statelouis26's avatar

crap.  Well I’m glad Tick Tock was patient and waited for the right backup to fall in his lap.  Seriously nobody was available as backup?  I think Kenny was looking for only a veteran when that wasn’t necessary.  Jimmy’s a big boy now.  He doesn’t need mentoring.  All we needed was a backup that performed well in limited time spelling jimmy and didn’t get injured a whole hell of a lot.  Neither of that is ozzie.  Your out of your mind with this veteran b.s. kenny.

I’m betting Ozzie will play solid and will win 15 games.
Posted by Down River Dan on 07/18/11 at 10:02 PM ET

If that happens I will change my name to Down River Debbie.

Posted by statelouis26 from Detroit, MI on 07/18/11 at 11:56 PM ET

statelouis26's avatar

For those who are sentimental…

Chris Osgood
10-11:  11gp, 5w, 2.77gaa, .903SV%
09-10:  23gp, 7w, 3.02gaa, .888SV%
08-09:  46gp, 26w, 3.09gaa, .887SV%

For those “believers” out there would you like me to average out those numbers?  I can sum it up for you, consistently OSBAD.  Even when he was “healthy” in 09’ his numbers were terrible, especially for a strong team such as the Red Wings that is more damning (the wings have declined defensively since the cup but they are still top half).

Holland is one of the best gm’s ever, but just b/c he has done so well for us over the years does not make him untouchable and eternally invulnerable to criticism.  Everybody, including the best, make mistakes.  And if this turns out to be resigning then we’ll likely looking at one of those mistakes.  Believe it or not backups do matter.

Posted by statelouis26 from Detroit, MI on 07/19/11 at 12:10 AM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

10-11:  11gp, 5w, 2.77gaa, .903SV%

I could live with that, especially since his full stat line was 10 games started, won 5 lost 3. It’s an improvement over the last 2 years, and I seem to recall people on here when Osgood went down wanting him to play over Jimmah because Osgood was actually playing better than Jimmah was at the time. Can he do it again? Looks like we’ll get to see, and I bet he’ll win at least 10 games this year.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 07/19/11 at 12:31 AM ET

bobby lang's avatar

I love Ozzie, but I can’t really trust that he’s healthy or will stay healthy. Osgood has proved me wrong before though, especially in the 08 and 09 playoffs when he was more often than not, spectacular. I don’t need to bring up the saddest 2 goals against in my life, but I suppose I just did.

Posted by bobby lang from Columbus, OH-IO on 07/19/11 at 01:27 AM ET

CaptNorris5's avatar

Chris Osgood
10-11:  11gp, 5w, 2.77gaa, .903SV%

^ > Conklin.

Just saying.

Posted by CaptNorris5 from The Winged Wheel, stuck in Chicago on 07/19/11 at 02:09 AM ET

bobby lang's avatar

Osgood Retiring Apparently

And now the rumors are going back to retirement….confused.

Posted by bobby lang from Columbus, OH-IO on 07/19/11 at 02:49 AM ET

AndrewFromAnnArbor's avatar

St. James: Osgood’s Likely Groin

Fixt.

If Ozzie’s coming back (and it’s likely he will), then I’m presuming he’s going to spend his summer in scaffolding, getting re-bar inserted into his groin.

Fixt.

BTW, where’s the confusion between Scotland & Ireland come from?  It’s easy: Scotland is full of Scots, and Ireland is full of Americans.

Posted by AndrewFromAnnArbor from Fortress Europe on 07/19/11 at 05:32 AM ET