Abel to Yzerman

Sources, eh?  Well?

Udpated below with some Pleiness talk.

Some interesting verbiage making its way around the hockey Gore the last 24.  Aaron Ward talks about “indications” and then Deep Digger Captain Ansar Khan(!!!) turns that into…

MLive

The Red Wings, according to a source, likely are out of the bidding for the power forward because his price is too high and “teams in the East have offered him ridiculous amounts of money.’‘

And it’s snowballed, as we knew it would.  Ward (I believe) heard from one of his (unnamed) “sources” what Doan is allegedly demanding and speculated those demands were too rich for Holland blood even though it’s not Holland’s money that Holland would spend.

Ward’s speculation turned into an “indication”.  That indication turned into Khan’s “source”, which is—naturally—unnamed or even vaguely organizationally identified.

I don’t doubt that Eastern Conference teams have made huge offers.  I do doubt Doan would demand a 4 year deal for 7.5/per.  As stupid as this summer has been, that’s ludicrous.

I’m not saying the Wings are in on Doan. I am saying that I think the “source” Khan cited is actually Ward’s Tweet.

And that’s no source, that’s a hunch that Khan regurgitated as insider info.

I’m aware this is a ridiculous discussion.  But the Diggers are making me sad again.

While we’re here…yes, I can concede that Holland’s perceived failures this summer may be part of a grand CBA-based plan.  I guess that could be truth.  If it is, and he’s aware of it, I think he should let us in on it.  At some point there is a loyalty to the fan issue.  Do we deserve an explanation? Not a full one.  But we buy the tickets. We buy the sweaters. We pay his salary, essentially.  I could handle something like this, “there is a lot going on that people may not understand.  We’re cautious about the labor issues and believe that staying conservative now will pay off after the new CBA is signed,” or even better, “I know what I’m doing, bitches.”

Udpated at 1102 PST:

As Matt Saler pointed out in the comments, Chuck Pleiness has a post up with a quoted “source.”  Naturally, that “source” gave him the exact same quote as Khan’s “source”...

According to a source, Detroit seems to be out of the bidding for the power forward because the asking price is too high.

“Teams in the East have offered him ridiculous amounts of money,” the source said.

Something else from Pleiness’ post you might find interesting.  After trotting out the now-viral rumor that an Eastern team offered the 7.5 over 4 years deal…

That’s a far cry from what the Wings were hoping to sign Doan for, looking for three years for no more than $5 million a season.

Doan made 4.5 last year in Phoenix.  If Detroit “hoped” to sign Doan for 5? That’s myopic and stupid.  Does anyone really believe Doan is going to hit the free agent market and sign for only $500,000 more than he made in Phoenix?

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

1 2 >       Next »

Alan's avatar

I’d personally like to know whether Ward got his information from someone inside the Wings front office, or if he just dropped a steamy load all over a Ouija board and tried to connect the corners.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 07/27/12 at 02:53 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

“I know what I’m doing, bitches.”

I’ll take ‘Quotes from Kenny Holland’ for one-hundred, please.

...

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 07/27/12 at 02:54 PM ET

Matt Saler's avatar

Pleiness has a quote from this source. He’s not sourcing from Ward’s tweet, seems like.

Posted by Matt Saler from Grand Rapids, MI on 07/27/12 at 02:58 PM ET

Any idea what this tweet was all about last night?  Or should I be asking myself why I follow this guy?

Scotty NHLBeat ‏@NHLBeat
Red Wings front runner on Yandle, Then Predators and then Flyers. Also have been told Flames may jump in.

Posted by John from Denver on 07/27/12 at 02:59 PM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

Matt, it’s exactly the same quote from Khan’s “source”.  Now it looks like Ward’s indication has turned into Khan’s source which, in turn, became Pleiness’s source.  Resourceful, aren’t they?

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 07/27/12 at 03:03 PM ET

Soupsnake's avatar

Please let Scotty NHLBeat be right. Please let Scotty NHLBeat be right. Please let Scotty NHLBeat be right.

that would be awesome and would hopefully let us clear up some of the log jam in our forward corps, and maybe also help Joey Mac find a place to play.

Posted by Soupsnake from Canton, Mi on 07/27/12 at 03:03 PM ET

Matt Saler's avatar

Derp, I missed that quote in Khan’s piece somehow. But that quote doesn’t come from Ward’s tweet—Khan and/or Pleiness talked to somebody. Unless they got that quote from Ward himself.

They’ve had some anonymous source from the organization leaking them crap at other points in this off-season. I see no reason to believe this isn’t the same person.

Posted by Matt Saler from Grand Rapids, MI on 07/27/12 at 03:07 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

maybe also help Joey Mac find a place to play

Good call. Forgot about him. He’s a decent trade asset if someone is willing to gamble on his health.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 07/27/12 at 03:08 PM ET

Alan's avatar

Chief, that’s exactly why I don’t believe it. It’s one source. Whether it’s three or three hundred people quoting it, it’s still one lousy source. Until we can affix a name to this source, I’m not buying it in the slightest.

Yandle would be a nice addition. It beats this whole “not adding anybody” schtick that has played out thus far.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 07/27/12 at 03:11 PM ET

After day 1(or maybe it was day 2) of Free Agency many reliable sources had Detroit as the front runner for Suter.  (and they may have been at that point) but things can change, and I can no longer get excited about Detroit being a front runner for a player.

Posted by wingsnut25 from Cheboygan, MI on 07/27/12 at 03:11 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Yerdon et all are reporting Shane Doan wants the 4 year, $30M contract to leave Phoenix.

I say he can go screw himself.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/27/12 at 03:44 PM ET

Neznarf's avatar

Scotty NHLBeat ‏@NHLBeat

What do we think Phoenix would ask in return for Yandle?

Posted by Neznarf on 07/27/12 at 03:48 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

A top six center to start with, IIRC.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 07/27/12 at 04:01 PM ET

Today’s news “sources” are redundant and shallow.
It’s called Copy & Paste.
Not Journalism.

Posted by PuckMucker from Detroit on 07/27/12 at 04:26 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Posted by Neznarf on 07/27/12 at 02:48 PM ET

They’d start with Fil.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/27/12 at 04:29 PM ET

Doan is 35.  Any multi-year deal of his will count against the cap in its entirety.

2 years at 5 mil is excessive.  More years than that is stupid.  calling Holland stupid for trying to be aggressive when you just got done whining about him not being aggressive is, if not stupid, at least amusingly ironic.

It is better to not make a stupid move than it is to be ‘aggressive’ and make a stupid move.

Why?  Because a stupid move is with you for the term of the contract in the vast majority of situations.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 07/27/12 at 04:52 PM ET

If only there had been a better, much younger, higher scoring player with national ties to a certain star player of ours (whose only request ever has been a countryman to play with) available for less money, for less years, all while trying to prove himself to a league that believed in stupid talk about his work ethic under the worst coach to ever touch the Capitals.

Oh, wait….

Posted by AppState on 07/27/12 at 05:09 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

And now for something completely different…

The Opening Ceremony is currently taking place. Here is a link since NBC won’t broadcast it live or stream it.

20 minutes in and no Monty Python or Benny Hill. Lots of Industrial Revolution and pollution though

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 07/27/12 at 05:20 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Small group of rich guys in top hats and tails amidst a sea of peasants, serfs and working poor. Wow, this really makes me want to visit the UK.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 07/27/12 at 05:23 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Amen. brother, Amen. Problem is, that CBA ecuse does not hold water. Any rollback of the Cap would have a rollback of salaries as occurred when the current CBA went into effect; so contrary to some opinions around here, there will not be a firesale after the new CBA is ratified. A much greater rollback occured when the crrent CBA went into effect, and then only 3rd/4th liners like D-Mac were released.

A George has noted, Kenny has a big class of UFA’s and RFA’s to worry about next year. I think Kenny also realizes that the 2011/12 Wings were more than 1 or 2 players away from contending for the Cup. I think Kenny said the Wings were going to be active in the FA market to appease us fans. I think Kenny was going to make enough calls and offers so as to appear to be an active player. I think Kenny is looking very long term: playing the kids this year gets them experienced and gets a better draft position in 2013. And if all that is true, I’m OK with all of it ,except for getting our hopes up by lying about how active the Wings would be.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 07/27/12 at 05:44 PM ET

NIVO's avatar

They’d start with Fil.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/27/12 at 03:29 PM ET

I’d agree with that, but I hope we are both wrong. I’d rather give up horsesass than Fil for sure. And I sure hope tick tock would say Gus is off the table to anyone. Work a deal on some others, but not Nyquist. Emmerton, Mursak or something of that nature.

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 07/27/12 at 06:43 PM ET

I’m mildly bemused people actually think Ken Holland has to prove anything to any of you, or that he has to explain that he’s competent in order for you to think he’s competent.

Then again, I’d hazard a guess the people complaining now are ones that were on the verge of calling for Holland to be fired around 2006, too.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 07/27/12 at 06:44 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

Bull’seye.  My WTF? button is now jammed in the on position.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 07/27/12 at 06:55 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

We had no reason to inseminate ourselves.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 07/27/12 at 07:05 PM ET

WingsFaninCO's avatar

We had no reason to inseminate ourselves.

Posted by RWBill from hiding indoors from Virginia heat. on 07/27/12 at 06:05 PM ET

True.  Though, there some people I would really like to tell to go inseminate themselves.

Posted by WingsFaninCO on 07/27/12 at 07:18 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Any of you Bitches want to meet me here Saturday or Sunday afternoon
August 18-19?

San Diego, Bitches!
GREEN FLASH BREWERY

I’m not going to Stone again, too Fuching expensive to eat there.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 07/27/12 at 07:19 PM ET

True, the top six wasn’t missing anything last year.

Posted by AppState on 07/27/12 at 07:22 PM ET

Behind_Enemy_Lines's avatar

I’m not going to Stone again, too Fuching expensive to eat there.

Posted by RWBill from hiding indoors from Virginia heat. on 07/27/12 at 06:19 PM ET

Who needs to eat when you have unlimited Ruinations.

Posted by Behind_Enemy_Lines from Evanston,IL on 07/27/12 at 07:45 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

I knew it was back there.  This from July 13th. 13th.  2 weeks ago.

MORE THAN $30M.

AND

Report: Shane Doan Offered $7.5 Million Per Year
Kyle Andrew Busch on Fri, 2012-07-13 19:09

But 29 minutes ago it’s this:
Shane Doan reportedly seeking four-year, $30 million contract
So how much money would you offer a 36-year-old forward who has scored 20 or more goals in nine out of his 10 previous seasons, but only twice hit the 30-goal mark? A lot, evidently.

check out their “source”
The Detroit Red Wings had inquired about his services, but according to a report on MLive.com, they apparently took themselves out of the running “because his price is too high and “’teams in the East have offered him ridiculous amounts of money.’”

A report on mlive. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA,  You mean Aaron Ward on Twitter?!?!?!?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA what a bunch of Hacks.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 07/27/12 at 07:49 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Who needs to eat when you have unlimited Ruinations.

Posted by Behind_Enemy_Lines from the Big House,January1,2013. on 07/27/12 at 06:45 PM ET

Where can I “like” on this blog?

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 07/27/12 at 07:50 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Craig Custance, ESPN, on July 5, Thursday,

“and Free Agent Alexander Semin will be snapped up by the end of the week.”

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Dumb Ass.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 07/27/12 at 07:53 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from Warm and sunny SoCal on 07/27/12 at 04:23 PM ET

Dennis, thanks for the heads up on the opening ceremonies, you saved me from throwing away several hours of my life that I could never get back.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 07/28/12 at 09:43 AM ET

journalists, bloggers, reporters, analysts.  Impossible for regular, ordinary readers and viewers to naviagte these various outlets for new, authentic, credible information. Character doesn’t matter as long as they can do their job.  To which I reply, when you meet the young man who is tahking your daughter out on her first date, while shaking his hand, character will be the single most important thing in your life at that time.

Posted by beelza on 07/28/12 at 10:51 AM ET

Primis's avatar

On lighter notes…

I decided to sim out the 2012-13 season using current rosters/players (all the offseason moves) for fun, just to get an idea.  I used Eastside Hockey Manager, a text-based simulator/manager for PC.  It’s not the height of human technology, but it’s also not EA NHL 12 or something ridiculous where truly dumb things happen in the sims on a regular basis.

Here’s what happened, and it overall showed that there really hasn’t been any shift in the balance of power in the league:

*  Detroit finished 6th in the West and made the second round, beating LA before losing to Chicago 4-2.  DET had 42 Wins, was Top 10 in PP, and Top 5 in PK.

* The AI moved Zetterberg to Datsyuk’s wing shortly into camp I think and Z put up 41 G’s and 90 pts, outscoring even Datsyuk’s 88 pts and 32 G.  Both were healthy and barely missed any games.  Bertuzzi, Samuelsson, and Cleary all spent some time that I saw on the other wing.

* Fil put up 22G and 50A centering Franzen and a rotation of about 3 or 4 other wingers on the other side (Cleary and Samuelsson were here some too).  Franzen had 38 G (came in spurts still though).

* DET traded Kindl away midseason for more forward help in a mediocre deal that was largely pointless for both sides Brendan Smith was a healthy scratch off and on after playing the first 10 straight games of the season.  Quincey became the main point man on the PP which helped him put up 45 pts. but again, a -6.  White and Ericsson were both quite unpretty statistically…

* Tootoo had 12 Goals and 230 PIM, while being a -5.  He then played in 5 playoff games, was healthy scratched in the rest.

* Jimmy appeared in 60 total Games and hit 30 Wins.  MacDonald and Gustavsson split the rest and were mediocre but not 11-12 Ty Conklin Terrible.  MacDonald actually swiped the backup spot outright at one point but got hurt and never got it back

* Elsewhere, Minnesota snuck into the playoffs as an 8th seed and were clubbed to death in a sweep by VAN in the 1st Rnd.  Parise was hurt for 18 games after the new year, and only managed 22 G’s.  Suter did better for them, but still not great..  MIN still remained a low scoring team and still allowed 9 more goals than they scored.

* Carolina with Semin and Staal made the playoffs and bowed out in the first round in 7 games to Boston.  Their special teams were terrible on both sides.

* NYR won the Cup, beating CHI 4-2 in the Cup Finals… but not so much because of Rick Nash who potted 30 and managed 60 total pts.  More because Richards and Gaborik were bonkers on the PP.

* Nashville was terrible, was never in the playoff hunt, and there’s really not much more to say about it.  They finished behind even Columbus and got the 3rd overall pick.  Retaining Weber was little help and Rinne’s number fell off badly of course.

* Others:  NYI made playoffs and swept by NYR in Rnd 1.  DAL made playoffs and took CHI to 7 games in Rnd 1.  WAS still made the Conf. Finals where they lost to NYR.

Am I saying an old PC hockey sim is the final answer?  Duh, no.

What I am noting is that depsite the offseason movement that was reflected in the sim’s rosters… not a lot changed league-wide, and Detroit still made the 2nd round even with what we see as a horrible defense (and with the d-men’s numbers not being so good even).

It’s premature I guess to write them out of a playoff spot, and premature to annoint any other team as havingly massively improved to a contender or something.  It could very well come down to if Datsyuk, Z, and Franzen can all stay healthy enough (which has been a problem of course).  In this case, all 3 played at least 77 games.

Posted by Primis on 07/28/12 at 04:32 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

summer on the lakes ...

... doesn’t look like ice make’n weather, eh?

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 07/28/12 at 05:16 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Lake Superior is huge!

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 07/28/12 at 10:16 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

I love the Internet.  two people can say ANYTHING is true, and if they cite each other as a source then most people are too stupid to figure that out.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 07/30/12 at 01:44 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

what a bunch of Hacks

it’s amazing how flimsy it all is, when you know how it all ties together…yet the casual reader would think there is actually something to their statements.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 07/30/12 at 01:51 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

I realized something today….

I miss Chief’s posts more than I miss hockey.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 07/30/12 at 07:04 PM ET

pgoody's avatar

Posted by Primis on 07/28/12 at 03:32 PM ET

Oh jeebus is this what its come to around here…

Posted by pgoody on 08/01/12 at 07:16 PM ET