Abel to Yzerman

Somewhere In The Swamps Of Jersey?  It’s A Live Blog

Me and the Boss would probably have a few philosophical differences if the opportunity presented itself for an in depth confab about social norms, politics and puppies.  But I do dig his music.  And, in keeping with our annual trip to the Garden State?  It’s a Springsteen-influenced LB.

I tried to post a Dater ditty today but the salty Gore had other plans, so I quit.  I’ll keep trying but it’s tough sledding.  Tonite?

Tonite has “trap” written all over it.  Second half of a B/B.  Last place team.  Away.  The Wings penchant to, you know, “play down to the level…”.  A win would be miraculous with those odds stacked against us.

A prediction for player of the game?  Why sure.  A serial killer will prove that he’s no hero, but all the redemption he’s got to offer is under that insane, sociopathic hood of his.  Why Saddam?

Because of this.

Montreal Gazette

Had a chance to watch the Detroit Red Wings live at the Joe this week.  Three quick observations.  1. Todd Bertuzzi is done

Someone read that to Bertuzzi. Read it slow so he understands every word.  And then ball it up and feed it to him with his rat and fetid milk.

It’s a Live Blog, bitches.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous       ‹ First  < 4 5 6 7 >       Next »

SnLO's avatar

Ken says Pav only needs a fight for his 2nd career Gordie Howe Hat Trick

Posted by SnLO from the sub great-white north on 12/12/10 at 12:11 AM ET

I bet Datsyuk would be way better in the shootout if there was a defenseman one stride behind him.

Posted by herschel c. wollmack on 12/12/10 at 12:11 AM ET

ITDeuce's avatar

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 12/11/10 at 09:09 PM ET

Straight.  Into.  My.  Soul.

Posted by ITDeuce from The Sunny High Desert on 12/12/10 at 12:12 AM ET

Rumbear's avatar

Dang…..I went away to fire up the boiler on the hot tub and another foal is born.

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, doing the prospect shuffle.... on 12/12/10 at 12:14 AM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

Ken says Pav only needs a fight for his 2nd career Gordie Howe Hat Trick

Posted by SnLO from Just north of the City Living in Mad Max times on 12/11/10 at 09:11 PM ET

I might be wrong but i think Mr. Hockey actually only had 2 himself.
Good company, Pasha. Join him.
(Just don’t get hurt, k? k.)

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 12/12/10 at 12:14 AM ET

WestWing's avatar

Clarkson continues on, plays the puck with an obviously broken stick…they don’t call that?

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 12/12/10 at 12:15 AM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Eaves on the Circus?

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 12/12/10 at 12:16 AM ET

Rumbear's avatar

These Devil guys seem to be an angry lot.  Hiding on the bench?? sheesh..son it’s the NHL.

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, doing the prospect shuffle.... on 12/12/10 at 12:17 AM ET

ITDeuce's avatar

Ozzie!!!!!

Posted by ITDeuce from The Sunny High Desert on 12/12/10 at 12:17 AM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

Nice Ozzie.  Point blank.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 12/12/10 at 12:17 AM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

I don’t care how many points thid has the past few weeks, right now Pavel is the best all around player in the world , and I will go toe to toe with both bettman and the douche canoe and tell them so!

Posted by Down River Dan on 12/12/10 at 12:18 AM ET

SnLO's avatar

Posted by Rumbear from the frozen tundra of Sandy Eggo on 12/11/10 at 09:17 PM ET

It’s a Jersey thing

Posted by SnLO from the sub great-white north on 12/12/10 at 12:18 AM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Wizard of Oz!

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 12/12/10 at 12:18 AM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Bullfuckingshit. How obvious can it be that idiot was holding Z’s stick for 10 seconds?

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 12/12/10 at 12:20 AM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

Fuch that “right now” isht.  Pavel IS the best all around player in the world.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 12/12/10 at 12:20 AM ET

WestWing's avatar

Posted by Down River Dan on 12/11/10 at 09:18 PM ET

He does seem to be just toying with people at times

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 12/12/10 at 12:20 AM ET

ITDeuce's avatar

Z just did that so he could take a rest.  Lazy prick that he is.

Posted by ITDeuce from The Sunny High Desert on 12/12/10 at 12:21 AM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Again…how was that hooking?

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 12/12/10 at 12:22 AM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

Lazy prick that he is.

He has been floating lately.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 12/12/10 at 12:24 AM ET

hockeychic's avatar

Nice win, good job Wings!

Posted by hockeychic from Denver, CO on 12/12/10 at 12:25 AM ET

Rumbear's avatar

Traveling up and down the east Coast, staying in the same time zone and playing teams that would nary be in the hunt in the West….the Conference is redolent with the skills of young Rosby.  Ain’t marketing grand?!

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, doing the prospect shuffle.... on 12/12/10 at 12:25 AM ET

SnLO's avatar

Three decent periods. Solid win. 399 for Oz.

Posted by SnLO from the sub great-white north on 12/12/10 at 12:25 AM ET

TheRealYooper's avatar

first career with for ozzy in nj?!!

Posted by TheRealYooper from within sight of the edge of the Earth. on 12/12/10 at 12:26 AM ET

Little Redhead's avatar

Nice Win!  Night Ya All! Those in the Snow Belt, stay Warm, be Safe!

Posted by Little Redhead from the Engineer's chair on 12/12/10 at 12:26 AM ET

ITDeuce's avatar

Classy bunch those fans.

Ozzie played a phenomenal game tonight.  Good to see.  Real good to see.

Posted by ITDeuce from The Sunny High Desert on 12/12/10 at 12:26 AM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Nice job, Ozzie.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 12/12/10 at 12:26 AM ET

WestWing's avatar

Nice win!!!...and hey, let’s throw some credit Ozzie’s way…he was damn solid in net tonight!!...

But man oh man, Pavel Datsyuk…my son said it best eariler…“Dad, Pavel Datsyuk is the best player ever.”

Who am I to disagree with that?

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 12/12/10 at 12:27 AM ET

Trish's avatar

Ozzie solid all game = I am very happy coz we will need him

Posted by Trish from PalmBeachCntyFL on 12/12/10 at 12:28 AM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

first career with for ozzy in nj?!!

That was shocking.  With nearly 400 career wins you would think that he would have won in Jersey at least once.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 12/12/10 at 12:28 AM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

good win

g’nite all

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 12/12/10 at 12:28 AM ET

Rumbear's avatar

Good win.  All fears assuaged and back to the D.

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, doing the prospect shuffle.... on 12/12/10 at 12:28 AM ET

dougie's avatar

Agreed. Exactly what we needed on 2nd night of a back-to-back.

Posted by dougie on 12/12/10 at 12:30 AM ET

Rumbear's avatar

My feed switched to Carolina and the BBB’s…

Just. Don’t . Care.

Kings coming in Monday with VersAss feed…....Night all!

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, doing the prospect shuffle.... on 12/12/10 at 12:33 AM ET

TheRealYooper's avatar

three stars.

P. Datsyuk - 1st
Red Wings - C
Goals: 1
Assists: 2

H. Zetterberg - 2nd
Red Wings - LW
Goals: 1
Assists: 1

C. Osgood - 3rd
Red Wings - G
Saves: 33
Save Pct.: .971

Posted by TheRealYooper from within sight of the edge of the Earth. on 12/12/10 at 12:33 AM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Murph rambling.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 12/12/10 at 12:34 AM ET

TheRealYooper's avatar

i ‘ust realized, happy did not play.

Posted by TheRealYooper from within sight of the edge of the Earth. on 12/12/10 at 12:38 AM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Sour apples there, Oz?

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 12/12/10 at 12:41 AM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Finished the marathon shopping in time to catch the 3rd on the radio.

Way to go Ozzie.

See you Bitches Monday night.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 12/12/10 at 02:02 AM ET

Nate A's avatar

Missed the game thanks to a trip to the Big House and post game activities. Watched the highlights and looked like a good one. Circus flying everywhere, and Ozzy with some fantastic saves. Good stuff. And Sad Happy in the pressbox. That’s a shame after 2 strong games from him.

Big Chill was a beautiful day.  Didn’t really get cold till the 3rd after the sun was down and the wind picked up. Observations from my spot in the south end zone, about 1/3 the way up the bowl:
- B-2 Spirit flyover to start the game was awesome. Them things are spooky in the air.
- First period was kinda sloppy and sluggish. I’m guessing the near 40deg temps and partial sun up till game time were making the ice a bit slushy.
- MSU had more and better scoring chances in the 1st, but the final 40 minutes was all UM, and it quickly became clear which was the better team.
- UM has a dangerous powerplay. They move the puck well and dont waste time doing it.
- Sparty had several big hits, but none of them seemed to do much to spark the team or get UM to back off.
- UM did a good job of keeping MSU to the outside. But MSU forwards did very little to pressure the center of the zone, and the D was not aggressive until the game was already out of hand and they were just trying to avoid the shutout.
- After the 3rd goal, UM sat back and clogged center ice. MSU had very little success in gaining the attacking zone. Spartans ran had the same trouble the Wings do from time to time in failure to adjust to the opponents plan, and attempting to carry through the mob of defenders.
- UM did a good job of converting the turnovers late in the game where MSU was taking chances. Lots of odd-man rushes for blue.
- Two goal reviews in the game surprised me. From the replay board, I thought the first went in before the net came off, but only got one replay, and not a very clear one at that. Didn’t get a good look at the 2nd goal review.
- Announced crowd was over 113k. Pretty amazing, but I don’t buy it. Capacity is listed at about 109k, but the top 1/5 or so of the north end-zone was very empty. I thought this thing was a sell-out?
- Arby’s has a curly-fry mascot. It’s so awkward looking. The guy even played goalie on a puck shoot competition at first intermission.

Overall, my experience was kinda meh. I’ve got friends from both schools and didn’t really care which team won, but I was hoping to see a much better game. The view was much better than expected, at least from my seats, but with such a massive and open stadium I think most of the atmosphere leaks out. It works for a football game where there are clearly defined moments of play, and the big plays have time to develop and built up to. But for hockey, there’s just so much to miss from that distance at those speeds and the crowd is not as organized or observant. Even the typical taunts were a bit disjointed and disorganized. It just didn’t have the same roar as the football games I’ve been to there, even against a team as lowly as Baylor. It felt kinda hollow. I had a decent time, but I don’t really feel the need to go to another outdoor game.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 12/12/10 at 03:09 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

Hail Ozzie!

Looked good his first 2 games back.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 12/12/10 at 04:16 AM ET