Abel to Yzerman

Someone Is Doing Some Deep Digging

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

Down River Dan's avatar

Hmmm…. interesting….how many brothers does Stevie have…

Posted by Down River Dan on 07/10/19 at 07:01 PM ET

Interesting. I mentioned my lack of enthusiasm for our drafting under Wright before, so I’ll not go into it any further, but here is the Athletics analysis of each teams drafting since 2014.

For those without access:

It doesn’t look good for Detroit so far.

Posted by petesrw on 07/10/19 at 07:49 PM ET

tkfergy's avatar

Chris Yzerman isn’t listed

Posted by tkfergy on 07/10/19 at 07:54 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

I’ll believe it when I see it, but that would be great news.

Seider was his guy, seems strange to drop him after following his lead in the draft.

Posted by Hootinani from the parade following Babs out of town on 07/10/19 at 08:43 PM ET

yzer19man's avatar

This page is still located on the Wings website. Maybe they forgot to delete it:

Tyler Wright

Posted by yzer19man on 07/11/19 at 08:45 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Khan has the info, Draper will likely replace Wright who appears headed to Edmonton.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/11/19 at 10:54 AM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/11/19 at 10:54 AM ET

So Draper will be in charge of our drafting eh, I guess Yzerman is good with this, I don’t know, I’m not sure Draper is the right guy, he doesn’t seem like the coldest beer in the fridge, but I also don’t spend 1on1 time with him so who knows.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerGod's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 07/11/19 at 12:04 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Hmmm…honestly a little bummed by this.  We are only just now starting to get a taste of what Wright’s drafting crew has collected for the organization.

Some names he drafted, most of which haven’t quite had their shot quite yet:
Larkin
Ehn
Svechnikov
Saarijivari
Cholowski
G Smith
Hronek
Rasmussen
Zadina
Valeno
McIssac

Posted by TreKronor on 07/11/19 at 12:25 PM ET

Some good or promising players there found beyond or late in the first round.

And some good moves by Holland, admittedly, to add some of those picks.

I still have no idea why we chose Zadina over Hughes.

Rasmussen’s development will be interesting.
The playoffs were a reminder that if helps to have
at least one big body at forward with pretty good hands.
But it’ll take strength, and a more confident, aggressive,
game to get there. Hopefully that’s mostly a matter of
a really young big guy physically maturing.

Posted by lefty.30 on 07/11/19 at 01:01 PM ET

I still have no idea why we chose Zadina over Hughes.

My theory is that Holland has been planning his escape to Edmonton since before the last draft and he took Zadina over Hughes so that there would be a better chance that Hughes or Bouchard would be available for Edmonton.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 07/11/19 at 01:20 PM ET

I still have no idea why we chose Zadina over Hughes

The best player overall would likely be the answer.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 07/11/19 at 01:20 PM E

I like the color of your foil hat. Remember when most everyone was betting on Holland going to Seattle (except me)?

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 07/11/19 at 01:37 PM ET

hockeyfreak13's avatar

I still have no idea why we chose Zadina over Hughes.

I was so ready for the Hughes hype train. I blame the Coyotes.

Posted by hockeyfreak13 from Grand Rapids on 07/11/19 at 03:10 PM ET

I expected Holland to take Wright with him after the draft. You can’t let chief scout go to the other club just before the draft.

Posted by Davor on 07/11/19 at 03:28 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

So Yzerman is keeping Draper, when everyone accused Holland keeping Draper was he boys club?

Hmmmm

Posted by ilovehomers on 07/11/19 at 04:16 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

If Cleary gets a promotion, I’m sure it will be regarded as Yzermans best move as GM.

Posted by TreKronor on 07/11/19 at 04:22 PM ET

Does the bridge you live under provide a lot of shade, homers?

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 07/11/19 at 04:25 PM ET

Too funny. Though the thought crossed my mind that Wright pushed Seider to leave the Swede for Edmonton….

Conspiracy much?

Anyhow, I’m sure it’s all good.  VERY surprised about Draper.  I’ve heard him on Toronto media quite a bit, and he seems thoughtful/well spoken enough, however, assistant GM and head of scouting are two different things to me.  If he’s just listening to the guys under him and being a good manager, sure.  But if he’s out scouting and having input/final say…. I have no idea what his chops are.  One article mentioned he was more progressive with teh direction the game is going rather than the size thing Wright was always pushing….

I don’t care where you stand on any particular perspective, but I hope whoever is in charge, makes use of all the tools out there… analytics, pyschology, eye test, etc… when drafting, trying to get an edge however they can… hell genetic testing lol.  I hate when I hear someone high up say they have certain beliefs and don’t trust or buy into something else.  Use it anyhow and see if it confirms your thoughts or offers counter points to at least have a discussion around.

Posted by DieByTheWing on 07/11/19 at 04:31 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

It’s also possible Wright and Yzerman weren’t quite seeing eye to eye about Wright’s role/responsibilities.

Makes you kind of wonder how the scouts felt about picking Seider and if there was consensus to pick him.

Posted by TreKronor on 07/11/19 at 05:14 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Posted by TreKronor on 07/11/19 at 04:22 PM ET

We should give him the benefit of the doubt…he won’t give out positions based on promises or loyalty!!

Posted by ilovehomers on 07/11/19 at 06:58 PM ET

PierreC's avatar

It’s Steve Yzerman that pronounced the name Seider at the draft..it’s Yzerman pick and not Wright pick.  I Believe Wright Simply wanted to work with Holland again instead of Yzerman. Sometimes things don’t click !

Posted by PierreC from Montreal, Canada on 07/11/19 at 08:14 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

No scapegoats, Yzerman owns the pick, just like Holland owned the picks in the Jim Nill Era. The buck stops on top, good bad or indifferent.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerGod's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 07/12/19 at 09:22 AM ET