Abel to Yzerman

Short-Term Loss, Long-Term Gain

Even more evitable than the inevitable loss of Nick Lidstrom was the one that sent Brad Stuart west. We knew it. He knew it. So did San Jose.  But Ken Holland took it a step further. He, once again, demonstrated to Stuart, all Wings and any players who may consider Detroit in the future that this organ-I-zation takes care of those who play the right way, the Wing Way, while in Detroit.  A conditional pick and a guy who’ll never see Traverse City, much less Detroit? Didn’t matter. This deal was not designed as a give-and-take.  It was giving Stuart the chance to get signed as early as possible, get re-settled and start living his life, finally, as a guy who can go home and see his family a heck of a lot more than he has the last several falls, winters and springs.

Brad Stuart was going to San Jose.  The deal, in the way that deals like this are already made months before they’re legally and formally signed, was already done.  Holland just allowed both parties to hasten the logistics.  4 years of grit and badassery, blocked shots, big hits and steady, tough play in the Winged Wheel earned this guy what Holland gave him today.

Good luck Disco Stu.

Now Kenny?  Tick Tock.  We now know for sure you’re still in the office. No reason not to be on the phone with a couple of high-priced agents finishing deals that were, like Stuart’s, done long ago.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

RWBill's avatar

Damn, all of a sudden two bolts of lightning on the same afternoon?  Now I gotta go back and read the previous one.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 06/10/12 at 07:12 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Now I gotta go back and read the previous one.

Posted by RWBill from the Capital of the Confederacy. on 06/10/12 at 05:12 PM ET

Actually, this morning I had “Band of Brothers - Bastogne Disk” paused in the DVR while grilling my breakfast T-Bone steak and eggs.  That probably says something about us.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 06/10/12 at 07:20 PM ET

andrew murray and a 7th rounder ??
WTF ??

we shoulda gotten DOUGLAS Murray damnit.

Posted by Hockeytown Wax from West Bloomfield, Mi. on 06/10/12 at 07:48 PM ET

Rdwings28's avatar

he did some great back up goaltending on a regular basis as well…

Hey free agents, calling all free agents, come work for the best, the finest, the grade A owners and managers.

Posted by Rdwings28 on 06/10/12 at 07:53 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

The thought of Stuie in a Skanks jersey makes me want to vomit. And I can’t even let myself think about him laying hits on Wings players next season. This sucks (even though I totally understand).

Oh, and um, I sure hope Jimmy Howard is prepared for life after Lidstrom and Stuart. He’s going to have to be very, very good.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 06/10/12 at 08:17 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Good luck Disco Stu, helluva warrior.

Man, the blueline is in shambles.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 06/10/12 at 08:46 PM ET

Rdwings28's avatar

Captain Kronner I say. A new era of Wings defense is aboot to begin, eh?

Posted by Rdwings28 on 06/10/12 at 09:37 PM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

Good luck Stu.  Now take your Kronwalling and sit down bitch.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 06/10/12 at 10:37 PM ET

Primis's avatar

If this were anyone else but SJ I wouldn’t have to wonder, but it is so I do:  you think there’s any shot Stuart still comes back?  This deal fell in Wilson’s lap, but that doesn’t mean he’s ready to actually get Stuart signed I suppose….

I think we were very lucky Brad already resigned in DET once.

OK Kenny, trade time.  You not only need to sign Suter now, but you probably need to swing a trade for another Top 3 guy on another team.  You know, a real one, not a pretend fantasy land one like Quincey…

Posted by Primis on 06/11/12 at 09:12 AM ET

monkey's avatar

we shoulda gotten DOUGLAS Murray damnit.

Yeah, but the Sharks aren’t dumb enough to give up good assets for someone they know will be unrestricted in a few weeks.  This was a convenience trade, and a way for Detroit to get something in return for losing Stu.  You never know- that seventh rounder might win the Conn Smythe some day.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 06/11/12 at 09:12 AM ET

monkey's avatar

I think we were very lucky Brad already resigned in DET once.

Haha- that would be awesome.  The deal falls through and Stu comes back to Detroit.  Not likely, but awesome.  We would get the noob, the draft pick, and Stu.  I love it.  Not happening.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 06/11/12 at 09:14 AM ET

monkey's avatar

Man, the blueline is in shambles.

Fact.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 06/11/12 at 09:20 AM ET

Primis's avatar

We would get the noob, the draft pick, and Stu.  I love it.  Not happening.

Posted by monkey from lighting my nuts on fire on 06/11/12 at 07:14 AM ET

Well, no we wouldn’t.  The Newb is going to be allowed to walk, because he was a throw-in and quite frankly isn’t any good (which is why SJ wants him gone).  DET won’t get the draft pick if SJ doesn’t sign Stuart (it’s Conditional).  So resigning Stuart would net us… Stuart.

With Stuart is superior to Without Stuart.

Man, the blueline is in shambles.

Fact.

Posted by monkey from lighting my nuts on fire on 06/11/12 at 07:20 AM ET

I don’t disagree either.  Ken Holland’s job just got tougher yet.  I still wonde rif he’s not going to say “Eff this”... and actually retire himself.

Posted by Primis on 06/11/12 at 12:15 PM ET

dougie's avatar

Looks like we will get to scream “FUCHIN’ ERICSSON!!” at the TV set more often next season.

Posted by dougie on 06/11/12 at 02:47 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Get your filthy hands off my dreams.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 06/11/12 at 08:04 PM ET

monkey's avatar

When the going gets tough…. the tough take their toys and go home?  I doubt it.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 06/11/12 at 08:58 PM ET

monkey's avatar

If Kenny can’t net some big fish in free agency we are going to struggle to make the playoffs.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 06/11/12 at 09:05 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Well, at least the Red Wings are not the only ones absolutely mystified by the total lack of standards and consistency wth NHL officiating.  A missed call and a five minute major call just 5 seconds apart dictated the outcome of Game 6.

Congratulations to hard working, physical force Captain Dustin Brown, and his live nationwide interview, “That’s why we play the F———game!” with Douche Canoe.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 06/12/12 at 01:34 AM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Parise? Pack your bags…Mr. Ilitch has Red Bird III waiting to shuttle you to a Tigers game.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 06/12/12 at 03:16 AM ET

monkey's avatar

That’s his consolation prize?  I hope he likes mediocre baseball.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 06/12/12 at 09:01 AM ET

Primis's avatar

That’s his consolation prize?  I hope he likes mediocre baseball.

Posted by monkey from lighting my nuts on fire on 06/12/12 at 07:01 AM ET

Mediocre but EXCITING baseball!

Will the Tigers blow it in the 4th inning?  The 6th?  Or will they get all the way to Valverde before he gives up 5 runs and blows it?  Oh the suspense!!!

Posted by Primis on 06/12/12 at 09:22 AM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

So when Parise screams uncle, he’ll sign, no?

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 06/12/12 at 12:53 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Other than the fact that Parise is a UFA in 18 days, is there any reason to think he won’t re-sign with Jersey? He’s their captain. He’s the heart of that team.  Has there even been an anonymous source report that he’s unhappy and wants to leave Jersey? Sure, Lamierello is a nortorious cheap skate, but the man is no dummy. No way he lets Parise walk away without throwing every last penny at him. Don’t forget that Kenny is not one to overpay, either. So in a bidding war my money will never be on Kenny.

Sorry to piss on your corn flakes, but Parise to the Wings is nothing but a pipe dream. Besides, Job1, Job2 and Job3 for Kenny this offseason are DEFENSE.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 06/12/12 at 03:06 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from Warm and sunny SoCal on 06/12/12 at 01:06 PM ET

Similar thoughts go for Suter, though he is not the Captain like UFAs Doan and Parise, does not have great motivation to leave Nashville.  In his case it may be an indicator he’s willing to go to UFA in that he has not signed yet despite an apparent long session with the club.  Even if he goes UFA there’s no guarantee he still won’t re sign with Nashville after hearing from others.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 06/12/12 at 03:45 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

he has not signed yet despite an apparent long session with the club.

But that is exactly the type of tea leaves that indicate that Suter may leave bubba. And it is exactly those type of tea leaves that are missing on Parise. It’s just too silent. I think neither side wanted to negotiate during the playoffs, but they’ve already agreed that he’s staying in Jersey. Does anyone really think he’s going to walk after coming so close to the Cup? I just don’t see him leaving, especially if Marty comes back for one more season.

Fuch Doan. He’s dirty POS that’s no better than claude lePuke

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 06/12/12 at 03:54 PM ET