Abel to Yzerman

Semin, Doan, Standing Pat

Alexander Semin’s waiting for one thing: Shane Doan.  Once Doan signs, so will Semin.  For less.  If you think it’s his attitude that has kept Ken Holland from signing him already, you’re wrong.  The Wing Way can solve attitude issues and I believe Semin would take a one-year deal to prove the anti-Semintics wrong.

But not until the Doan decision is made.

And yes, the Wings could use Semin.  Of course, he’d play with Datsyuk. Of course he’d help the power play.  Absolutely, without question he’d immediately attain Enigma status and he’d be a major topic of discussion, right here, every day. Good or bad.

Yes, Ken Holland’s considering him.  And this is a lie:

MLive

“I don’t think we need a whole bunch of guys,” Holland said at Wednesday’s Hockeytown Winter Classic press conference. “I think if we can get one more player, (we’ll be fine).”

That’s cute.  What we need, Kenny, and I know this because you told me for months and months before your Critical Days of Summer that we needed a scorer and a top 4 defenseman. I’m just saying that you told me that and now you’re saying you didn’t or that you changed your mind.  That’s all.

Holland says the summer’s hit a “slow period.”  Bullshit. He says the Wings “might be done” and that he’s fine with that. Bullshit. He says he’s good with the defense, that Former Dive Kyle Quincey and Brendan Smith are worthy replacements for the departed Best Defenseman Ever and our boy Disco Stu. So much bullshit that the stench overpowers me.

All of those are lies and I’m good with that.  I don’t expect, or want, Kenny Holland saying a whole lot of truthful things to me.  But let’s you and I be straight: he knows what he needs and so do we.  That hasn’t changed in months.  Sniper, scorer, a “power forward” who actually drives the net consistently and doesn’t rest on a couple of postseasons that are actually turning out to be miraculous exceptions (clear enough for you Mule?).  And the Wings need one more quality, reliable defenseman.  You don’t lose Rafalski, Lidstrom, Stuart over a two-year period and replace them with a tainted Dive and a rookie (no matter how good he’s going to be and he’s a Calder candidate).

Is it Semin?  I think he’s being considered very carefully.  But Kenny wants Doan.  And so does our Uncle Mike.  “Wants Doan” is an understatement as far as Babcock is concerned.  If Mike Babcock gets Shane Doan the entire philosophy changes.  Helm, Doan, Tootoo.  Three hunters on three lines.

But I’d consider Doan a slim chance because (1) he’ll probably stay in Phoenix as Gary will somehow find a way to keep that hockey-mad city in the game and (b) because every other team in hockey wants him and if he leaves the Wings miss out to family (again) because I think he’ll go to LA to be close to “home”.

And defensemen (plural). I have no faith in Quincey.  Or Big E. I love Kronwall. He’s a top 2 defenseman on any team in hockey. Any team.  But he’s not enough. Smith is going to be very good.  White is nice. You know where we stand. Kenny can say all he wants but every one of us, and him, know that it’s a serious concern.  Serious.  The Wings can win with the forwards they have right now. They will not progress with this blue line.

He must move, and will.  It may not be this summer or this Fall or even at the trade deadline which is now a meaningless, pathetic, joke of a holiday for us.  It could be next summer, but that blue line will be addressed.  And, yeah, I’m talking about Shea Weber. And no, the elbow wouldn’t prevent that acquisition. Not for a second. I don’t care about it. Holland doesn’t care. Babcock probably liked it. Zetterberg can’t remember it.  If Weber’s available now or in a year, the Wings go after him in a prolific way.

But if they don’t get him and if they don’t do anything now or this summer?  I’m not one to buy into the “Hockeytown isn’t a destination of choice” crap.  Based on what? You think the Pens didn’t go after Suter and Parise?  Chicago? Are they no longer lucrative destinations?  The Wings, and everyone outside of Walnut Grove, lost out to family.

Spector

I find the perception by some critics the Wings unsuccessful efforts to sign Parise and Suter as a sign they’re no longer a preferred destination for top talent a puzzling one. This year was an unusual one in the UFA market, as the top two free agent players had an opportunity to play together for a team closer to home for big money, a team which has never been a major player in the free agent market until this year. If the Wild hadn’t jumped into the bidding for those two, it’s possible one or both might have signed with the Wings.

It may be premature to point to this summer as the year when the Red Wings went into decline. Sure, the loss of Lidstrom to retirement hurts, and they still need to bolster their offense, but this could be more of a “blip” than the start of a long decline. If there’s one thing I’ve learned about the Red Wings over the past decade, it’s not to write them off when a star player retires or departs via free agency.

I trust Lyle Richardson’s word more than any MSM out there, and immensely more than some *#$%@& Detroit blogger trying to make a name for himself and his “rag” of a web site by consistently writing contrarian views to generate clicks and hits.

The Wings want Doan because Babcock knows the team needs more intensity. If not Doan, then Semin because scoring is still an issue.  If neither, or maybe instead of, Rick Nash is still on their list.  And everyone’s on the table except for Zetterberg, Kronwall, Datsyuk and Smith if Nash is in play.  Bobby Ryan, in my opinion, isn’t as available as rumors say he is.

Bottom line: It’s not a “slow time.”  Ask George. Ask him what Holland and Martin and Nill are doing right this second.  Holland’s working it because he knows this team isn’t built for May as it stands right now.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

1 2 >       Next »

Bobby Ryan.

Do it, please.

And a defenseman, please.

Posted by Garth on 07/12/12 at 11:15 AM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Chief, are you in the running for understatement of the year?

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 07/12/12 at 11:21 AM ET

The Wing Way can solve attitude issues

It can also cure disease and solve world hunger.

Posted by timbits on 07/12/12 at 11:24 AM ET

The Wing Way can solve attitude issues

It can’t provide a heart though.  Ask the mule.

Posted by Garth on 07/12/12 at 11:26 AM ET

” And no, the elbow wouldn’t prevent that acquisition. Not for a second. I don’t care about it. Holland doesn’t care. Babcock probably liked it. Zetterberg can’t remember it.  If Weber’s available now or in a year, the Wings go after him in a prolific way.”

hahah, great stuff and so true. You know Babcock loved it.

Posted by lulz on 07/12/12 at 11:33 AM ET

give doan and semin 6 mil/yr 1 yr contracts. its the only way. hell yes its over payment, but what other choices do we have at this point? 75% of the teams probably have the cap space to do it, so they are going to get over paid (just like suter and parise) no matter what. shit, give doan 10 mil/yr x 1yr and make him the biggest cap hit in the league, who cares?! we are going to have tons of cap space sitting around and nothing to do with it. with what we have now we may make the playoffs…may, but we are going to get utterly destroyed once they start. we cant keep hemorrhaging all-stars and not replacing them. I hope to God I am wrong and we win the cup, but for the first time in 20 years I am actually worried about making the playoffs.

Franzen is awful and should be part of a rick nash trade along with one of our good young centers (tatar, nyqvist or sheehan), maybe another guy and some picks. But please, please, please don’t trade Helm.

Posted by callmedrw from detroit on 07/12/12 at 12:00 PM ET

yzer19man's avatar

prove the anti-Semintics wrong

hahaha THIS. You’re a pretty funny guy Master Chief.

We need to be able to sign at least one of Doan or Semin, hopefully both. Maybe at that point, we could swing a trade with all the spare parts we have at forward for a 3-4 defenseman. I would have to think that Abby, Mursak, Emmerton, and possibly Miller would be tradeable assets. Would hate to see Abby or Miller go, but they prob could get us a decent depth defenseman, with picks included. Mursak and Emmerton headed out of town wouldn’t be a huge loss, as they are in the healthy scratch category at this point anyway. Depends if Brunner can crack the lineup, and, God forbid, injuries.  At this point, we have 17 possible forwards for next season, including Homer, who is still in the mix. CapGeek  Hope he sticks around for 1 more.  We need his ass in the crease during the PP. Unfortunately, he is prob looking at Press Box duty for most of the season tho.

A trade will take place at some point, because we can’t have 17 guys fighting for only 12-13 spots.

Posted by yzer19man from Chicago, IL on 07/12/12 at 12:03 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

It’s a “slow time” in that yes, the Doan chip has to fall, and that yes, the market is stagnant right now because the agents of defensemen who skate in straight lines are likely asking Holland for $4-plus million salaries for players like Pavel Kubina and Carlo Colaiacovo, so it is more likely that the Wings will sign a defenseman and/or a goal scorer in August…

But yes, the front office is trying every day. It’s never “slow” for them in terms of working their phones and typing text messages on their Blackberries to try and do their damnedest to improve the team. Given the amount of time I saw Holland working his phone, the times that Marin and Nill suddenly stopped watching drills and began to very, very attentively type away or take a call, and given the fact that Babcock worked his phone on a pretty regular basis, and actually cupped his hand over his mouth—just like he does on the bench—while engaging in a long conversation with Holland, the Wings’ front office is working very very hard to improve the team. All the time.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 07/12/12 at 12:21 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Bobby Ryan.

Do it, please.

And a defenseman, please.

Posted by Garth on 07/12/12 at 09:15 AM ET

The Wing Way can solve attitude issues

It can’t provide a heart though.  Ask the mule.

Posted by Garth on 07/12/12 at 09:26 AM ET

Yes and yes. I like the idea of Ryan way more than Doanbag. And, I see him staying put. Doan is the Coyotes.

Mule(if I only had a heart).

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!! In ’13

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 07/12/12 at 12:30 PM ET

Doan this year and Weber next?  We just really changed the nature of this team.  “Zetterburg doesn’t remember” hahaha

Posted by Lord QWZ from Lansing on 07/12/12 at 12:36 PM ET

including Homer, who is still in the mix.

Realistically, no.  He isn’t.

And, I see him staying put. Doan is the Coyotes.

I agree.  He clearly wants to stay there or he wouldn’t keep giving them more time, and even if he does leave it’s going to take overpaying for him and giving him more than one year in order to get him.

Posted by Garth on 07/12/12 at 12:38 PM ET

In recent dialogue, JJ and Helene and I drool at a Russian style PP with Dats, Semin and Nikulin.  That would bring back the bold and creative Red Wings.  That would bring back a dimension to Hockeytown that teams feared, yet envied. Nikulin, has only played in the KHL.  If he will play for ANY ONE TEAM in the NHL, it’ll be for the men whom created and birthed the glorious “Russian 5.”  The pitch to Nikulin could be for just one year.  Would he say nyet at the chance to play in the stead of living legend Fetisov.
Maybe Mr. I calls Larionov, and Fetisov and Kenny gives Lidstrom his first assignment.  “Nick, get the band back together, go over there and ask Semin and Nikulin if they would like to be the most dynamic PP in the NHL?” Nobody would see this coming. This upcoming season’s PP will have to be lethal because Detroit’s defensive margins are razor thin. For all the anxious Red Wings fans out there-relax. Leaders respond (Red Wings), Managers react (Wild).  Somebody ask The Chief how initiative and asymmetry can change the theater of operations.

THE RUSSIAN 3.

Posted by beelza on 07/12/12 at 01:04 PM ET

If he will play for ANY ONE TEAM in the NHL

Yeah, but that’s a huge, ginormous, monstrous if.  And based on the urgency with which Holland is pursuing Semin, he might have questions about making Datsyuk to light a fire under someone’s ass and keeping it lit for up to 100 games next season (and any further season they might have to offer in order to sign him) when Datsyuk could instead be focusing on being a magician on the ice and playing with someone who is self-motivated.

Posted by Garth on 07/12/12 at 01:20 PM ET

dougie's avatar

Hey, Chief, how can initiative and asymmetry change the theater of operations?

Posted by dougie on 07/12/12 at 01:38 PM ET

Yzersyuk's avatar

These theories keep getting better and better. Tommorow we’ll be working on getting shanahan out of retirement because he thinks he needs to play more so he can get into the hall. But seriouslly as much as I’m about to gnaw someone’s arm off from this seemingly eternal wait for news, any news, it seems pointless to speculate at this point. Tick tock is the only one who can do anything at this point and I’ll keep hoping and waiting till all of his time runs out. Tick.  .  . tock

Posted by Yzersyuk on 07/12/12 at 02:39 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

For, I dunno, 10 years (?) I have been hearing the Wings are old and done…..so now, when one of the olde(er) Wings retires it is the Summer of Decline? Pardon me, I would like butter on both sides of my toast.  Kiss my very hairy Rumbear butt.

It’s called negotiations 101.  The hockey world knows the Wings just shot a rocket to get Parise and what’s his name…and missed. Yet, the Wings have $90 million!  Well Sparky, it’s time to reset the clock.  No $90 million for you!  Cupboards looking pretty bare here.  In fact we like what we have, we may be thru.  If [enter name here] or whoever thinks the Wings are thru then the value goes down….  Wanna come play? Here’s a Red Wing offer…....Tick Tock is playing this just right

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, hanging with Dan Cleary.... on 07/12/12 at 02:43 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

These ^^^^^ ..... but who?
Trade-the-mule! Trade-the-Mule! Trade-the-Mule!

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 07/12/12 at 02:53 PM ET

soletrain's avatar

Dats could replace Lids.

Posted by soletrain on 07/12/12 at 02:55 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Anybody but Doanbag. The Wing Way has already taken a severe blow with the signing of Tootoo. The Wing Way used to be signing players of good character that played with grit but played with honor. Dirty POS players were for other teams like the Dive and the Ucks. If Tick Tock signs Doanbag, too, just call us the Ucks East.

Forwards aren’t the issue. Please Kenny, for the love of Stanley, just worry about the D.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 07/12/12 at 03:03 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Dats could replace Lids.
Posted by soletrain on 07/12/12 at 12:55 PM ET

Pavel Datsdenault?

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 07/12/12 at 03:05 PM ET

While the D is worse off than the front end, forwards are still absolutely an issue.

Posted by Garth on 07/12/12 at 03:15 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from Warm and sunny SoCal on 07/12/12 at 01:03 PM ET

Yup.

They’re sacrificing character and honor.  The best thing about the Wings’ Cups was that they won them with class when others didn’t know the meaning of the word.

The Avs?  Please.  The Ducks?  The Anti-Class.  The Pens?  Crosby could only dream.  The Hawks?  Ummmm, Patrick Kane.

So now the going gets tough, so it’s time to throw class out the window and pick up a bunch of brain-dead idiots to make us more “competitive”?

Like I said before, something needs to change or I cannot and will not support this team come Game #1.  And it will have nothing to do with “competitiveness” or “grit”, and everything to do with icing a bunch of dirty guys that are suspension liabilities every game…

I expected so much more out of Holland and Illitch, much more than this.

Posted by Primis on 07/12/12 at 04:10 PM ET

NIVO's avatar

Mule/prospect(tatar?)/3rd rounder

for

Yandle

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 07/12/12 at 04:17 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

While Doan would be a huge boost to the forwards and reaffirmation of integrity and the long standing Red Wings core value “the team, the team, the team”, I still think there’s only about a 20% chance of landing him, as I said a few days ago, most likely stays in Phoenix and if not, LA is just a one hour flight to PHX and he doesn’t have to uproot his family or live a 5 hour flight from them.

It is curious how things have ground to a halt, league wide, as documented by George and Chief.  If Semin is a no-brainer then why haven’t any of the many teams with money to burn put a ring on him?

I agree with Garth, forwards and scoring is still an issue.  I’m in a slow data wireless area right now so won’t look up the Goals For over the last 2 playoff years, but if you just remember the series losses this year and last, and in fact the year before, inability to score was a big issue.  Obvious, I know.

Remember my favorite playoff Babcock quote, “if you want to play in space, go play in a different league, or make your own space.”  Think Mule, Hudler, Fillapoola, et. al.  Now think Doan.  Blade down, bitches.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 07/12/12 at 04:22 PM ET

cementslinger's avatar

“Nick, get the band back together…

THE RUSSIAN 3.

Posted by beelza on 07/12/12 at 11:04 AM ET

Awesome.  I like it.  Do it, Kenny.  We got your back.

Posted by cementslinger from Midland MI on 07/12/12 at 04:36 PM ET

I hope nothing changes.

Posted by Garth on 07/12/12 at 04:38 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

I’m just going to point out that The Wings Templar doesn’t actually exist.  The past 20 years we’ve been relatively not so dirty.  But I’m holding off on canonizing the team.  And personally, I don’t like a squeaky clean team.  Just don’t be trying to end peoples careers.

Honor?

here’s one for the people who think Tootoo wait to get hit or for the other to drop the gloves before he can hit them.  (I can’t believe people thought the Ribeiro hit was dirty, guy was coming at him like Foppa is at Drapes.  Drapes not being a fighter, opted to hit him in the head with his stick AND glove)

I’m just saying.  It’s hockey.  Tootoo isn’t Matt Cooke.  He’s a take no shit guy who’s hard to play against and doesn’t shy away from a fight.  Wins majority which is outstanding after having to go however many seasons with Abby as the “enforcer”.  That’s why I’ve always hated when we play against him.  I’m gonna love the guy now he’s wearing a Winged Wheel.  How many teams HATED Maltby?  That’s the sign of a good “disturber”

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/12/12 at 04:39 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

This wasn’t exactly classy either…  I think George would say he’s a bit undersized and easy off the puck.  Gonna be a while before he’ll make the big show.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/12/12 at 04:54 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/12/12 at 02:54 PM ET

link would help

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/12/12 at 04:55 PM ET

HockeyTownTodd's avatar

Let’s just leave Kenny alone,
He’s doing fine.

We have all the talent on D, that is needed.  It just has to be developed at the NHL level, and the only way to do that is ice time.  You bring in another top gun to gobble up 25 minutes a game and the only way the youngsters will be developed is like Quincey. with ice time from other teams
If we go into the season with the 8 we have, they will be fine by the time the Winter Classic rolls around.

Tootoo and Sammy,  I love it.
Doan would be a great addition.  I somewhere got the idea that he was 40, but 35….sign him if you can.
The only abrasive thing about the Wings since Drake retired and Samuelsson was drop kicked out to hold onto Hudler, has been the bloggers.

Posted by HockeyTownTodd on 07/12/12 at 05:06 PM ET

I can’t figure out if you’re being serious or incredibly sarcastic, so I’ll just say, um, what 8?

Posted by Garth on 07/12/12 at 05:12 PM ET

Yzersyuk's avatar

Hey sorry if this is antagonistic.

To those saying they’re suddenly not going to support this team just because they don’t like a few players on it: Screw off we don’t need you fuch’s. If you’re not addicted to the red and white to the point where going through withdrawal would be tantamount to death then why the fuch are you even here. Sure, part of being a fan is being outraged at times and calling for a change. But no matter how fuched you think things are or how different the team, philosophy and spirit behind an organization is, you stick by your boys. Period.

You telling me if you’re in Colorado one day and you hear a smug ass dive fan expounding the greatness of Claude Lemieux you’re not going to feel the urge to make him so scared he turtles and then punch the shit out of him just because Tootoo and potentially Doan are on our team? If you’re OK with that then I question the point of life. I mean I’d probably be imagining Doan and Tootoo helping me do it.

The point is that new faces wont radically change who the Red Wings are or what they stand for. But who gives a fuch if it did. I love this team unconditionally. Period. Period.

Posted by Yzersyuk on 07/12/12 at 05:17 PM ET

Awesome article. I shared much of the same thoughts…

This won’t be it for KH. It can’t be.  At the very least, a top 4 dman is badly needed.  The current lineup will not cut it this year.  Call me skeptical, but If we are relying on Ericsson, Quincey, Kindl, and Smith (don’t get me wrong, he shows promise) to fill in the gaps on our blue line then i can’t predict a positive outlook on the upcoming season.

Ideally, 2 dmen, and a top 6 forward.  Get it done KH or this won’t be a great year for the wings and it’s fans.  As it stands right now, our blue line is looking average at best but i do feel better about our offense though it could use another top 6 player.

Posted by zettsyuk on 07/12/12 at 05:28 PM ET

HockeyTownTodd's avatar

so I’ll just say, um, what 8?
Posted by Garth

Good one,
I just came up with 6.
I could say it was a typo, but 8 just stuck in my hard drive from the end of the season.
So go with the six. it will work out if you don’t sit a guy for one mistake and then scratch him the next game.

Posted by Yzersyuk

They did not come here to change the team, they came because they wanted to be a Red Wing.

Posted by HockeyTownTodd on 07/12/12 at 05:31 PM ET

dougie's avatar

I love this team unconditionally.

It’s just like a good marriage. I love you unconditionally, and criticize you constantly.
And I got lucky 4 times in the last 15 seasons.

Posted by dougie on 07/12/12 at 05:32 PM ET

cementslinger's avatar

And I got lucky 4 times in the last 15 seasons.

Posted by dougie on 07/12/12 at 03:32 PM ET

I’m sure it’s difficult to get carpal tunnel at that rate. No?

Posted by cementslinger from Midland MI on 07/12/12 at 06:26 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by Yzersyuk on 07/12/12 at 03:17 PM ET

You must love you some Detroit Lions and Ohio State then.  Or is it Nittany Lions?  Since nothing else but winning matters, right?  Nothing a team, or franchise, or program can do matters aside from winning, right?

Because yes, that is where that attitude gets you..

Here’s the thing:  it’s all well and good to turn it into a “I’m a bigger fan than you” competition when you think it’s going to keep you a contender.  But what if 3 or 4 years down the road DET has missed the playoffs 3 times, and it hasn’t reaped any successes?  What is it you’re rooting for then?  A lousy team that also isn’t respected because it’s a circus on the ice?

I want my teams and programs clean, I want my players unsuspended, and I want my team’s success untainted.

Unless you’re cool with just becoming the Avs.  I’m not, nor will I ever be.  Because yes, there are people here starting to sound like Avs fans trying to talk themselves into and justifying certain moves.  Go ahead and be a clown Dive fan I guess.

Holland, Illitch, Yzerman, and Nick set the bar high, no doubt.  The problem is that Mike and Ken are still running the show… so that bar remains to be measured against.  This is not new ownership and management.

Posted by Primis on 07/12/12 at 06:59 PM ET

Just call it what it is then Primis, you are bandwagoner sunshine fan, there when times are good and teams are successful, soon as they become unsuccessful and struggle, as teams are likely to do with the salary cap and high draft picks going to the worst teams during the season, you abandon them and pick the new flavor of the month.  There is not a problem with that if thats the way you are then thats the way you are.  But dont tell someone that you are a hardcore fan…........cause that shits for life.  Even I know that, and im a fan of the Colorado Avalanche, and have been since they had Mats Sundin and Owen Nolan as the Nordiques.

Posted by Hizobane on 07/12/12 at 07:20 PM ET

I Believe I Can Fly.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 07/12/12 at 07:21 PM ET

NIVO's avatar

And I got lucky 4 times in the last 15 seasons.

Posted by dougie on 07/12/12 at 03:32 PM ET

Amen Dougie. I criticize too because i effin love this team. I yell at ‘em, I cheer with ‘em.  And i wanna throw the damned tv out the windwo when we get screwed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nZpCHtQYYI&feature=related

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 07/12/12 at 08:33 PM ET