Abel to Yzerman

Schultz Considering Cup-less Career Option

Well, good for you young man.  The reports that Justin Schultz is inclined to ply his trade in Canada and in Canada only may just be true.  Naturally, we know that if that’s the case he’s admitting he’s never once considered how awesome it would be to win a Stanley Cup. Reports from, yes, Canada are that he’s meeting with the Oilers today.

TSN

On the same day that the Edmonton Oilers named Ralph Krueger as the team’s new head coach, the team is also scheduled to meet with unrestricted free agent defenceman Justin Schultz.

The University of Wisconsin junior has a meeting planned with the Oilers in Toronto Wednesday afternoon.

And then, turn to Bruce Ciskie with a great piece looking at the overall Schultz situation.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

1 2 >       Next »

Lisa McRitchie's avatar

It’s all coming up Oilers today

Posted by Lisa McRitchie on 06/27/12 at 01:48 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Cup-less Career Option

In more ways than one.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 06/27/12 at 01:54 PM ET

Oh no, they Wings might have to try and find a defensive defenseman to replace Brad Stuart.

Posted by Garth on 06/27/12 at 01:59 PM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

Posted by Garth on 06/27/12 at 11:59 AM ET

And who says (a) they won’t or (b) that Schultz isn’t that defenseman?  You’re the only person I’ve read anywhere against this kid, Garth.  You remind me of Pat Caputo.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 06/27/12 at 02:04 PM ET

NIVO's avatar

Maybe he likes hearing “Nugey-Hoppy” “Nugey-Hoppy” 50 thousand times a game. Grates my nerves.

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 06/27/12 at 02:08 PM ET

I just want to know what Kennys gonna do

Posted by letsmakeit12 on 06/27/12 at 02:09 PM ET

(a) they won’t

I’m curious how many defensemen you think the Wings are going to sign.

(b) that Schultz isn’t that defenseman?

Admittedly I’ve only seen what’s been presented, but I’ve see a lot of offense and not much defense.  All everyone seems to be talking about is his offense, which is great, but I don’t see why the Wings NEED him so badly when he wouldn’t be addressing a specific need that we know the Wings have.

My apologies if I’m not enthusiastic enough for you.

Posted by Garth on 06/27/12 at 02:13 PM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

My apologies if I’m not enthusiastic enough for you.

No apologies necessary.  You’re our resident contrarian. Every blog needs one to keep things lively.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 06/27/12 at 02:15 PM ET

No I’m not.

Posted by Garth on 06/27/12 at 02:20 PM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

I’m curious how many defensemen you think the Wings are going to sign.

two

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 06/27/12 at 02:22 PM ET

Heaton's avatar

We all know where the Chief stands, he was ready to hand over 5m/yr to this kid. smile

Posted by Heaton on 06/27/12 at 02:22 PM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

Ha. I still am, Heaton.  The other 1.2 will come out of my own pocket.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 06/27/12 at 02:23 PM ET

I don’t know, it just seems like a panic move to me.  If Detroit had a hole in the #5/6 spot and they wanted to put Schultz there so he can grow and adapt to the game, then fine, but our holes are at the #2 (or #1, depending on where you put Kronwall) and #3 holes and if Schultz isn’t immediately a top 3 defenseman then that leaves us with a surplus of bottom-pairing defensemen and not enough top four, much like the last couple years when we’ve had too many bottom-six forwards and not enough top-six.

And now, reading that they want to get a deal made before the weekend, it means that Detroit would have to sign him and guarantee him his spot before they’ve even made their run at the UFAs that are available.

Posted by Garth on 06/27/12 at 02:30 PM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

Absolutely agree that this is an issue.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 06/27/12 at 02:32 PM ET

NIVO's avatar

Kronwall/Suter
White/Ericsson
Smith/Schultz

sounds dandy

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 06/27/12 at 02:34 PM ET

BrendonR's avatar

Absolutely agree that this is an issue.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 06/27/12 at 12:32 PM ET

Pretty much what they did with Brunner.  By the accounts of apparently almost every scout out there, Schultz is ready for not only full-time NHL duty, but Top 4 duty.  And he’s 22.

Posted by BrendonR on 06/27/12 at 02:42 PM ET

Here’s hoping Schultz tucks tail outta EDM.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 06/27/12 at 02:44 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

yo gonna through Q in there? Assuming Kindl is the 7th?

Shultz may be offensive, and may make some defensive mistakes, but I can’t tell you how many times Kronwall missed a pass at the point and got burned by the pressuring forward and his coverage in his own zone isn’t great.  average at best.  So yes, I think the kid is worth it.  He’s also been described as a very physical player, so why cant we have a physical player with high offensive upside?  for absolutely no more than 3.8m?  Especially given his upside?

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 06/27/12 at 02:46 PM ET

Pretty much what they did with Brunner.

No really.  Brunner is still going to be trying out for the Wings, he’s not being guaranteeing anything, and they’re don’t have to give him the biggest contract available in order to get him to sign whereas that’s exactly what they’ll have to do with Schultz. And it’s one thing to sign Ryan Suter to a big contract and promise him a roster spot whereas it’s a completely different thing to do that with a kid who’s never played in the NHL and has never had to deal with the NHL grind.  Suter or any other UFA would at least be a known quantity.

That’s a lot of pressure on both the kid and the team.

Posted by Garth on 06/27/12 at 02:49 PM ET

So yes, I think the kid is worth it.

So he’s worth it because there’s nothing to show that he’s a better defensive defenseman than Kronwall?

Posted by Garth on 06/27/12 at 02:57 PM ET

Alzy's avatar

Tick Tock should do his damndest to land him. I really like what I see, and you’ve said it before Chief, when the greatest defenceman of all time retires from your blueline, it may take some outside-the-norm moves to revamp your blueline. He may not be spectacular in his own end, but if the Wings get back to their bloody game it’ll play to his strengths. Constant puck possession, playing defence by offense. You don’t have to worry about your own end if you constantly possess the puck in the neutral/offensive zone. This is something the 08 team did extraordinarily well.

I’m expecting gigantic things Kenny. Tick. Tock.

LGRW

Posted by Alzy from Cambridge, Ontario, Canada on 06/27/12 at 03:24 PM ET

Suter, Wideman and Carle. Would like to see Kenny land any of these two, but so would any fan of any team upgrading their blue line.

If not, target Bouwmeester. Overpaid? Only in Calgary. The guy’s a stud and he’d be perfect in Detroit’s system.

Posted by Jesters Dead on 06/27/12 at 03:25 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by Jesters Dead on 06/27/12 at 01:25 PM ET

I have been mulling Bouwmeester for a couple of days now and am a bit surprised to see someone else doing so.

To me Bouwmeester is Rafalski (when we first got him, not that last year) with a bigger frame, or maybe a Stuart with a little less hitting and more offensive upside.  He can seriously eat minutes, and I too think he’d pull a Stuart and fit in much better in DET than most anywhere else.  I don’t know that Bouwmeester is capable of being a #1 anywhere.  But maybe as a #2 or a 2nd paiiring guy… that’s whne Stuart finally came through.

I don’t know what the heck you move to CGY to entice them to do it though.  Probably too much.  Ericsson would have to be going back IMO, just to clear up some more cap room.

Posted by Primis on 06/27/12 at 03:37 PM ET

Posted by Primis on 06/27/12 at 01:37 PM ET

Agreed. Definitely Ericsson. I think Calgary would have a high asking price considering the scarcity of defensemen in the pool.

He’s compensated as a #1, but I don’t think there would be #1-type pressure (if that makes any sense). There’s more pressure on Kronwall, White, Ericsson and Quincey to step-up their game and fill in the absence of Niki Lid.

Posted by Jesters Dead on 06/27/12 at 04:00 PM ET

detroitredwings's avatar

Wideman just signed with Calgary.

Posted by detroitredwings on 06/27/12 at 05:20 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Wideman just signed with Calgary.

Posted by detroitredwings on 06/27/12 at 03:20 PM ET

For a lot.

Does that make Bouwmeester even more available now?

Posted by Primis on 06/27/12 at 05:45 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Randy Sportak ‏@SUNRandySportak
Do Flames trade Bouwmeester or go with D core: Bouwmeester, Wideman, Giordano, Babchuk, Butler, Smith and Brodie? Salary cap $21.22M

Just sayin’...

Posted by Primis on 06/27/12 at 05:45 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Posted by Garth on 06/27/12 at 12:57 PM

In a sense, yes.  I also think his projected upside will leave him with more tools to be more effective defensively.  So I think it’s worth taking a chance on a kid who could be, in his first year, just as good as our most seasoned drafted d-man who’s projected as a top pair D with the departure of Lids.

Or you can say it how you said it, but I think it’s a little short sighted and I think we can both agree you’re really just playing a semantics game at this point.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 06/27/12 at 05:49 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Not to mention if we pick up Suter, who’s a big body himself and great all-around, we still have Ericsson and Q who are bigger bodies able to play a physical game in their own zone.

So you’re saying we’re better off signing… which defensive defenseman again?

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 06/27/12 at 05:54 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Wideman just signed with Calgary.
Posted by detroitredwings on 06/27/12 at 03:20 PM ET
For a lot.
Does that make Bouwmeester even more available now?
Posted by Primis on 06/27/12 at 03:45 PM ET

Calling Wideman a defenseman is an insult to defenseman.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 06/27/12 at 06:03 PM ET

detroitredwings's avatar

I just called him |<——Wideman——>|
wink

Posted by detroitredwings on 06/27/12 at 06:10 PM ET

So you’re saying we’re better off signing… which defensive defenseman again?

It doesn’t have to be a signing, it could be a trade.  But I guess you’re right, we lost defensive ability when Lidstrom and Stuart left so the obvious solution is to go out and get an offensive defenseman.  That should solve everything.

Hey, I’ve got a great idea!  The PK has sucked for the last couple years so I guess the Wings should be looking for a PP quarterback to solve that issue, right?

Posted by Garth on 06/27/12 at 06:20 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

So you’re saying there’s no expectation for other players to pick up slack?  You’re saying we aren’t going to target Ryan Suter (I refuse to envision our D-corp without him, if that’s the case it changes the entire way they ahve to go about restructuring and plugging holes) Last I checked he’s pretty good on defense.

What was Stuarts plus/minus again?  We have to replace those numbres, because we had the perfect balance on D last year, perfect.

Oh, what about the offense we lost from rafalski, we replaced it with what, White?  So really we’re just behind the 8ball restocking our ODmen anyways right?

Do you see how ridiculous your logic is?

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 06/27/12 at 06:33 PM ET

Yes.  Exactly.  What I am obviously saying is that Detroit shouldn’t sign Suter.

Because that has SOMETHING, ANYTHING WHATSOEVER to do with what I’m saying about Schultz.

Last I checked he’s pretty good on defense.

Yeah, he is.  And last I checked we lost TWO defensemen, one of whom was the best defenseman of his generation and the other who was the best shutdown defenseman on the team.

Suter would be the one to take the place of (but not replace) Lidstrom.  That still leaves the Wings down one defensive defenseman.

I didn’t think it was a difficult concept, but I guess I’m wrong.

Posted by Garth on 06/27/12 at 06:41 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

You’re absolutely right, but you didn’t mention how your logic applied to the loss of Rafalski.  You seem to not be able to understand that dynamics are allowed to shift and sway based on availability.

If you’re going to use a year as the litmus I’d rather go with 08.  Not last year, if we’re replacing role for role part for part, I’d rather get back there.  Really the biggest contribution we had from ddmen were shot blocking, so if you want to go spend a few million or assets on a shock blocker that’s fine.  I’d rather get someone able to retrieve the puck under pressure and make the first pass, someone who can dictate the play and tempo of the game.  Might not be the perfect player immediately, but with reviews like that from Chelios about the kid, I’d be willing to forego getting a Stuart replacement immediately because you think we need to have the exact same players or type of players on the team at all times in specific amounts.

That’s just me, but I just can’t understand simple concepts like going out for a shut-down defender over a top 4 play dictating puck moving physical dman.  You’re right though, I’m stupid.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 06/27/12 at 06:46 PM ET

Behind_Enemy_Lines's avatar

Sutter, Yandle, and Shutlz

Nick jr./Sutter
Yandle/White
Smith/Shultz

E-52, Emmerton, and Q to the Yotes

Dreams are fun.

Posted by Behind_Enemy_Lines from Evanston,IL on 06/27/12 at 06:47 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

And no need for the smartass “tone” about Suter.  Last time I didn’t specify I assumed we’d get him, you started your little bitch fest about that, picking semantics, was just ttrying to be thorough for you since you’re a stickler for verbage.  Poor guy wink

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 06/27/12 at 06:48 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

yo gonna through Q in there? Assuming Kindl is the 7th?
Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 06/27/12 at 12:46 PM ET

Well if they have to sign, or apt to sign him before July 1 I say forget the $3M on Q and use it on ths guy.  We lose late first rounder equivalent in that case but pick up a 1st round #1 pick.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 06/27/12 at 08:30 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

HE’S FOURTEEN????!!!???!!??

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 06/27/12 at 08:33 PM ET

HE’S FOURTEEN????!!!???!!??

Posted by RWBill from missing the Tiki Bar at The Shores, Daytona Beach. on 06/27/12 at 06:33 PM ET

Holy fuch, he’s a Jonas Brother.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 06/27/12 at 09:32 PM ET

1 2 >       Next »