Abel to Yzerman

Same Team, Same Fans, Same Result

Courtesy of WIIM, let’s take a gander at what this bitter little bitch had to say yesterday.

I really don’t know why I even bother to waste energy on this report for tonight’s opponent, the Detroit Red Wings. Nothing ever changes with these guys . . . they don’t fight, even when they really should, and while you can sugarcoat it with as hard a candy shell as you can find, it reeks of a team that chooses not only to not be physical, but not to stand up for themselves either.

Well? Did that turn out ok for you? Was this fun?

image

No? Well, how about this?

image

Here’s the thing, Blues fans..that was nothing.  That was the norm for us, and it was the norm for you.  Different year but the same damn story: Blues are rugged. Wings are soft. Blues grind it out, forecheck, make you “pay to keep the puck”.  Wings are too old, too brittle.  No offense for the Blues. But soooo gritty.  Yeah, ok.  21 shots on the best goalie in hockey and plenty of grit will get you a whole lot of nothing.

How is it that St. Louis can go through coach after coach, yearly roster turnover and multiple GM changes..but still make the same tragic mistakes against the one team they want to beat the worst?

Sound familiar?

Khan(!!!)

“They took their game to another level and we didn’t keep up to it,’’ Blues forward Jamie Langenbrunner said. “We were reacting instead of initiating, and we started to take retaliatory penalties. You give them opportunities on the power play and it’s going to cost you.”

It’s almost understandable. But not really.  The Blues felt that they might be able to take some liberties with the Wings because the PP’s been so very bad lately.  So Hitch let loose the dogs of dumb.  And oh my god did they pay.  The funny thing, though, is that the tempers only really flared when they realized something strange was going on.

“The bottom line is it appeared to me that they felt they could be physical,” Red Wings coach Mike Babcock said. “I thought we were physical right back.”

See?  Stu with a blast then a potful of stupid Stew with 17 minutes of dumbassery.  Immediate result? PP goal. Why? Because it’s the stupid Blues and they have no luck. None.  Just when they think they’ve reached the golden equality they so starve for?  They get the belt from big brother.  And then they lose their minds. Completely. And they always have.  Dumbest team in hockey. Dumbest fan base in hockey.  A joke on two fronts.  Right, Moose?

Rutherford

“I don’t know if (the Blues) can tell the difference between a good hit and a bad hit.”

Franzen there.  He’s laughing at you, St. Louis.  Why? Because you don’t scare him. Your record is nice but the Wings know precisely how to beat you.  Precisely.  Hold on. Wait for it. Absorb it.  Take the power play and shove it up their ass.  Or, even better? Initiate.  Seek out somebody like Alex Pietrangelo and blast him into next week, then wait for the retaliation from a dumb team.  Wait for it because they’ve been doing it for twenty years.  And the Wings have been making them pay for twenty years.  How’s that knee, Pronger?  Stevie treat you right big fella?  Got the angle all wrong didn’t you Sasquatch?  The Blues don’t learn.  They never have.  And it feeds right into a smart coach’s game plan.

Redolence

As Helm arrived on the bench, helmetless and evidently a bit roughed up, he got a fist bump from Johan Franzen, and two pats on the chest from Babcock, who purposefully made his way down the bench to express his appreciation.

And, 32 seconds later, the Wings had their second power-play goal of the game, and a win about as important as any that will come in January.

Boom, bitches.

We’re all laughing, because Wing fans know what we’ve known for years.  Detroit’s got the talent advantage, the smarts advantage by a mile, and…woops…it’s looking like the artsy Euros are just a tad bit tougher too, eh?  Initiation is what that’s all about.

And the biggest advantage the Wings have over the Bitter Bitch Bruised Babyshit Blues?  James F. Tiberius Howard.

How good is he?  Well, let’s bring in an expert, shall we?

Wyshynski

And that’s why they’re chanting “Jim-my Ho-ward!” in Detroit. Well, that and 30 wins with a 1.95 goals against average.

Speaking of which: Howard has 30 wins in 41 starts. The Red Wings have 33 games left. The NHL record for wins in a season is Martin Brodeur’s, with 48 in 2006-07. Hmmm …

Great call Greg and what a fantastic achievement. I wonder, if Howard reaches such lustrous heights, whether he’d be considered a “top 5 goalie” according to Yahoo?  Because, you know, we remember when he wasn’t.

But today the talk isn’t going to be about the saves or the shutouts, the GAA.  No. Today’s all about the Swagger and the fact that James Fuchin’ Howard, when pressed, has no intention of maintaining anything other than the very strongest of pimp hands.

Khan(!!!)

“I’m not going to be one of these guys they can just run over or anything like that. If I think it’s a cheap shot, then I’m going to let you know.”

There is no goalie you’d trade for in hockey.  None.  And the anti-Wing contingent can compile their stupid lists, massage the stats to their own agendas, create all star ballots that include FIFTEEN other goaltenders.  But nobody’s playing better and, holy shit, do Wing fans dig this kid.

Blues fans talk about “renewing a rivalry.”  Nope. Not without a playoff series. And, to tell you the truth I don’t think they have the offense or the brains to even guarantee an 8 seed come April. But if they do?  Bring it.  There is nothing to fear from that team. Nothing.

Tough guys who shrink like a chilled nut sack at the first sign of pushback.  Same old Blues, same old dumbasses. Same old result.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous        < 1 2

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Blues forward Jamie Langenbrunner said. “We’ve played with them in stretches. But in the end, we’ve kind of crumbled when the boys got a little rough.”

Posted by OlderThanChelios on 01/24/12 at 12:20 PM ET

What’s that saying?

When the going gets tough, the Blues crumble into a pile of dirty diapers and salty tears?

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 01/24/12 at 03:26 PM ET

That Game Time site reads like a an unfunny, hockey ignorant version of A2Y.

Not only do the St Lose Blows wish they were half the BAMF’s that Detroit are, but apparently their fans wish they were half the BAMF’s the 19 are. WOOO!

Posted by LGRWeh on 01/24/12 at 03:44 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

The best part of the night was Babcock telling Pierre McGuire to take a flying forkin leap, because he had work to do.  That plus the look on McGuire’s face was priceless.  Love to have that on an endless loop.

Amen! My wife had me rewind it TWICE so we could soak in all that awesome.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 01/24/12 at 03:57 PM ET

hockeychic's avatar

What a sweet, sweet win last night (well for January).  Good to see the PP get working again and even better to watch the Blues get beat down.

Imagine if the Wings actually started on time.

I got chills hearing the JLA crowd chant Jimmy’s name.  Was wishing I was there.

Posted by hockeychic from Denver, CO on 01/24/12 at 03:58 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

The measure of success for the BBBB Blues is in being taken seriously enough by a contender to get their asses handed to them.

The measure of success for the mouth-breathing fans of the Blues is to have Red Wings fans pay attention to them.

Not even sure I get that mentality.  “Our team is good enough for you to have to remind us that you’re still better… hooray moral victory!”

What a sad statement.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 01/24/12 at 04:01 PM ET

Wherever you set your anchors, Master Chief, be safe and get your asses home.

I’m just gonna spend no more than an hour relishing in the sorrow of the B’Lose fans’ tears.  I’ll take a bath in it with piping hot mug of Java’s finest, strumpets, and Happy’s back-biting Czech hookers.  And then it’s on to the perpetual meltdown that is the Habs on Wednesday night.

Anyway, I have been following the Beloved Red Wings since 1946.  I have not seen them have such great goal tending since Terry Sawchuck in the mid 50s.  Howard gives the appearance of an unbeatable goalie most nights.  Think about what I am saying.  Think about the great goalies who have worn the winged wheel in between Sawchuck and Howard.

Doc

Posted by DocF on 01/24/12 at 10:09 AM ET

I tells ya, quote of the day.  Quote of the mutherfuching day.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 01/24/12 at 04:13 PM ET

@ Bent

Posted by newb from above the bridge on 01/24/12 at 11:03 AM ET

OUTSTANDING!

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 01/24/12 at 04:16 PM ET

dftns19's avatar

For the last year or two I’ve been trying to figure out whose name should fill the back of my next sweater. The choice is becoming painfully simple. Jimmy Howard is an animal.

Posted by dftns19 from Columbus, OH on 01/24/12 at 04:47 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Do you think the NHL would print:  “James F. Tiberius Howard” on the back of a jersey?  That’s the one I want.

Doc

Posted by DocF on 01/24/12 at 10:09 AM ET

I tells ya, quote of the day.  Quote of the mutherfuching day.

Posted by SYF from Dr. Ima Tearadikov’s “Office” on 01/24/12 at 01:13 PM ET

Without a doubt.  Gave me chills.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 01/24/12 at 05:33 PM ET

Did anyone else notice that NBC Sports spelled Lidstrom’s name as “Lindstom”?

Posted by Justin from Canada on 01/24/12 at 06:29 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

Posted by TeamDub from The gratch. on 01/24/12 at 09:53 AM ET

I’ll see your Nickelback and raise it a Creed.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 01/24/12 at 06:31 PM ET

TeamDub's avatar

I’ll see your Nickelback and raise it a Creed.

Touche’.

Posted by TeamDub from The gratch. on 01/24/12 at 06:59 PM ET

TeamDub's avatar

And with that, I’m off to prepare (drink) for the Tool concert tonight. Been a favorite for a long time, first time seeing them and, no sh*t, I might just go lift some weights.

(Okay, that’s bullsh*t. The weights part, certainly not the drinking bit.)

And yes, I’ll be sporting the Winged Wheel.

Posted by TeamDub from The gratch. on 01/24/12 at 07:08 PM ET

Bent's avatar

Not a huge fan myself but I hear they are an awesome show.  Have fun.

Posted by Bent from The U.P. on 01/24/12 at 07:26 PM ET

Posted by TeamDub from The gratch. on 01/24/12 at 04:08 PM ET

I hate you.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 01/24/12 at 08:22 PM ET

dftns19's avatar

Posted by TeamDub from The gratch. on 01/24/12 at 04:08 PM ET

Used to love Tool but I’ve become pretty nonchalant with them. Saw them at Nationwide when I was in college and it was a great show. Haven’t been to the Huntington Center yet, let me know what you think of it(back in my day they played hockey at the WWII-built Sports Center),

Posted by dftns19 from Columbus, OH on 01/24/12 at 08:22 PM ET

dftns19's avatar

Er, ahem, Sports Arena.

Posted by dftns19 from Columbus, OH on 01/24/12 at 08:36 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Did anyone else notice that NBC Sports spelled Lidstrom’s name as “Lindstom”?

Posted by Justin from Canada on 01/24/12 at 03:29 PM ET

Didn’t notice, but for them that would be a marked improvement.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 01/24/12 at 09:19 PM ET