Abel to Yzerman

Reviewing Detroit’s 2017 Draft

from Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press,

The Detroit Red Wings had quantity on their side at the 2017 entry draft, making 11 selections over seven rounds.

As for quality, the selections yielded one of the top defense prospects in the organization and a big forward who could develop into a net-front goalscorer....

F Michael Rasmussen
Drafted:
Ninth.

Post draft: Wrapped up his junior career by posting 33 points in 14 playoff games with Tri-City in the spring of 2018.

Wingspan: Made the team out of training camp in the fall of 2018. If the Wings had not kept him in Detroit, they would have had to send him back to Tri-City because Rasmussen had year left of junior eligibility. Had a good first half with six goals among 13 points the first 41 games. Was able to use his 6-foot-6 body to go to the net even as he adjusted to playing against men instead of fellow teenagers.

Rasmussen missed most of January because of a hamstring injury and spent three games with Grand Rapids on a conditioning stint, scoring twice. Had a hard time during the second half, struggling to establish himself as a scoring threat in front of the net or anywhere else. Had just five points the last 21 games, and was injured again the last two weeks of the season.

Rasmussen, 20, needs to come to camp ready to compete for a job or he’ll start the season in Grand Rapids. The latter scenario probably would be best for him, as he could play in a go-to role and regain confidence.

Assessment: Has potential to be a net-front force.

read on for more players including defenseman Gustav Lindstrom who St. James says looks promising...

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

Seems more often than not, I’ll look at a list of draftees and get to their assessment and it reads, “a miss”. I know the NHL and as a matter of fact all sports have a small success rate with prospects, but it would seem to me scouting and development of these players is crucial. The term “failure to recognize talent” seems to apply more often than not. Leaving the NHL for a moment, take the Patriots for example, seems that whomever they pick up they make them work in their system. They lose what appears to be big pieces and continue to win. Back to the NHL take Datsyuk, a diamond quite a few teams stepped over. Is our current scouting failing us????

Posted by stateofmifan on 06/09/19 at 10:25 AM ET

SauceBoss's avatar

Maybe it’s just his personality, but I feel like Ras hasn’t been happy here since day one.

Watching him when he got drafted and his interviews and such just seems like he’s less than thrilled to be a Wing

Posted by SauceBoss on 06/09/19 at 01:47 PM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

just seems like he’s less than thrilled to be a Wing

I think it’s more that he has the personality of a wet sponge. No smiles no emotion. Maybe he is a vulcan?

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 06/09/19 at 02:57 PM ET

Hank Scorpio's avatar

I was never that enamored with this draft, even right afterwards.  Still, setting aside whether Rasmussen turns into a top 6 or middle/bottom 6 player, there are a few prospects in Lindstrom, Petruzzelli, Kotkansalo, and Setkov.  If one of them turns into a solid NHL player, this was a bad draft.  If two turn into players (in addition to Ras), this was an okay draft.  If three turn into players, this was a sneaky good draft.

Regardless, I’m still shaking my head at the number of oversized grinders we took this draft. I also wasn’t high on Rasmussen, but the jury is still out on him.  This draft really made me question our staff.  Luckily, I think they redeemed themselves with last year’s draft.

Posted by Hank Scorpio on 06/09/19 at 08:40 PM ET

I usually expect more from a #9 overall pick than potentially a net front presence.
These are the type of players you can get in 4-5 th rounds. Hopefully Ras will develop into something better than what’s we’ve seen so far.

Posted by VPalmer on 06/09/19 at 08:54 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

The Wings make a significant mistake keep Ras on the squad, what a stupid rule this Junior BS thing is. I know they did it because of Schev’s knee, and because he needed to learn how to use his size against bigger players, but he’s going to need to go back down, it would’ve been better all around for him to mature another 2 years before coming up. Especially considering they started his contract clock, which is ultra important in the cap era.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerGod's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 06/10/19 at 10:18 AM ET

Which one is it? The Wings clear made the choice because of the rule. Personally I think the Red Wings did what was best for Ras’s development because he really wasn’t going to benefit from more time in juniors.

I think Ras was better than most people give him credit for. He didn’t show up on the stat sheet much but he didn’t look terribly out of place for a guy playing his first season against much stronger competition. Yes, he could probably benefit from some AHL time but I’m far from writing this pick off as a bust (not that I’m suggesting anyone has, at this point).

Common conception seems to be that if you get ONE long-term NHL player (300+ games) from a draft you’ve done pretty well. Personally II think when you are drafting in the top 10 you should get 2. By that measure this draft could still be good but we really won’t know for about another 5 years.

Posted by evileye on 06/10/19 at 12:03 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Which one is it?

I think Ras was better than most people give him credit for.

Posted by evileye on 06/10/19 at 12:03 PM ET

Mistake, signifcant is overstatement or at least Monday Morning QBing from me. He played on our 4th line, while I agree with you he was better than credit is being given, I don’t think it was in the best long term interest of the player with the organization. The window for him to develop and for us to make a contract decision is shrunk because of it.  Top 10 pick should be with skilled talent and moved up only when ready.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerGod's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 06/10/19 at 12:43 PM ET