Abel to Yzerman

Red Wings-Blue Jackets live blog: MacDonald’s in for St. Paddy’s Day

The Detroit Red Wings face off against the Columbus Blue Jackets in short order (7 PM EDT, FSD/FS Ohio/WXYT) with Joey MacDonald in the net and no Jiri Hudler in the lineup as the former is substituting for Chris Osgood (who says he’ll be back after this weekend) and the latter has the H2H2 flu.

As it turns out, MacDonald will have started in half of the Wings’ games against Columbus, and “Joey Mac” told Ansar Khan that he has no problems stepping into action against a familiar team:

MacDonald is 1-0-1 vs. Columbus this season, losing 3-2 in a shootout here on Jan. 14 and winning 6-5 in overtime the next night in Detroit.

“I played these guys a couple of times this year, I’m kind of familiar with them,’’ MacDonald said. “We just got to play like we did last night (in a 3-2 win over Washington).’‘

Patrick Eaves returns to the lineup after missing 10 games with a groin injury. Drew Miller also is back in the lineup after being a healthy scratch the past two games.

Coach Mike Babcock said Jiri Hudler is sick and didn’t make the trip. Hudler was shaken up on a hit by D.J. King early in Wednesday’s game but returned to finish the game. Babcock said he hadn’t decided on the other forward to scratch.

Defenseman Ruslan Salei’s wife gave birth to the couple’s third child, a girl they named Ava Ruslanovna. Babcock said he’s not sure if Salei will be joining the team for Saturday’s game in Nashville.

Chris Mason will oppose Osgood for the Blue Jackets, who essentially have to win out to make the playoffs, and if you’ve digested all the stories in the game-day update post, here are a few more links and stories for your pre-game perusal:

• The Blue Jackets’ website posted a slate of game-day interviews with Columbus players and coach Scott Arniel;

• If we can have green beer today we can have power rankings, and Craig Custance suggests that the Wings are the second-best team in the NHL right now;

• I mentioned this on Wednesday morning, but it’s worth repeating, via MLive’s Jeff T. Wattrick: Crain’s Detroit Business’s Bill Shea tossed out a slightly daffy rumor regarding the Wings’ next home:

Chalk this up — for now — into the juicy rumor category: The Ilitches have floated the idea of putting a greenspace-walkway “roof” over I-75 at Woodward Avenue.

Why? If they build their long-proposed hockey arena for their Detroit Red Wings on land they own just north of the highway along Woodward, then having what amounts to a massive pedestrian bridge linking the venue to their properties south of I75 (the Foxtown area) makes sense.

The Ilitch-owned Hockeytown Café, Fox Theatre and Comerica Park would be more easily accessible if there were more than just Woodward Avenue and other road-bridge sidewalks (and future light rail line) connecting those properties to the land north of the I75.

It’s also could satisfy safety considerations: “Overserved” Red Wings fans stumbling out of a new arena wouldn’t drunkenly toss items onto the highway (or fall onto it themselves) if it’s covered by a green space and paths.

The cost I heard was in the $160 million to $170 million range, and the Ilitches would seek to tap into federal and/or state funding to pay for it. Whether there’s any realistic chance of public funding paying for this is unclear (pots of money for green transportation projects exist in different places). It sounds like the Ilitches wouldn’t pay for this themselves. They’ll be on the hook for a large portion of the arena, which is expected to cost around $400 million.

• And the CCHA playoffs semifinals and finals take place on Friday at Joe Louis Arena, with the University of Notre Dame tangling with Miami of Ohio at 4:30 PM and Western Michigan University facing off against the University of Michigan at 8 PM. Both games will air on Fox Sports Detroit, and DetroitRedWings.com’s Michael Caples caught up with Wings prospect and Notre Dame forward Riley Sheahan about returning to the Joe for the first time since the Wings’ summer strength and conditioning camp:

“It’s kind of weird, actually,” said Sheahan of his return to JLA. “The guys are giving me some grief about it, but it’s awesome. It’s a great place, a lot of atmosphere, and just looking up at the names on the wall, there’s some great players who have played here, and it’s kind of cool to be in the same spot as they were.”

The Wings’ prospect has helped the No. 8 ranked Irish reach Friday’s CCHA semifinals, where they will take on the No. 6 Miami (Ohio). Sheahan has posted four goals and 14 assists in 35 games this season. As a freshman, he recorded six goals and 11 assists in 37 games, despite starting the season as a 17-year-old. Sheahan said that while he’s considered an NHL prospect by others, he knows he has a long way to go before making it to the Big Show.

“It’s cool being back here,” the native of St. Catharine’s, Ontario. “In the summer, it was a lot of fun being at rookie camp, and this is bringing back some memories of that. But right now I have more of a see-what’s-ahead-in-the-future feeling.”

However, that doesn’t mean Sheahan hasn’t been keeping an eye on the Wings this season.

“Oh definitely,” he said. “We have a couple big Wings’ fans on the team, so they can help me keep up to date with them, but yeah, I’m paying attention to what’s going on with them, definitely.”

Finally, as it’s St. Patrick’s Day and I am a quarter Irish, here’s some lovely historical misinformation for you (because there are no snakes in Ireland anyway and St. Patrick wasn’t Irish):

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous       ‹ First  < 4 5 6 7 8 >  Last ›      Next »

TheRealYooper's avatar

bj’s play 15 seconds with 6 men on the ice, and the wings get called for it…

here comes that sphincter minute

Posted by TheRealYooper from within sight of the edge of the Earth. on 03/17/11 at 10:34 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

A PP in the sphincter minute.

This could make the game much more interesting

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 03/17/11 at 10:34 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

Too many men on the ice? I can’t believe they made THAT call in THIS game.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 03/17/11 at 10:35 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Rick Nash should be traded to Nashville…...the marketing possibilities would be endless.

Posted by Rumbear from the Top O the Hasek, Winning! on 03/17/11 at 08:34 PM ET

They’d probably fail with something like, “This is NASHTown.”

Seriously, banging on the glass is one of my hockey game pet peeves.  It was when I worked at an ice rink, and it is when I’m watching a game.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 03/17/11 at 10:35 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

pucker up

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 03/17/11 at 10:35 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

WOW - - it is the BJ ineptitude that is saving the Wings bacon.  That and J-Mac

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 03/17/11 at 10:36 PM ET

Still 2-nil Wings after two periods.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 03/17/11 at 10:36 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Hawks and Stars on the other Centre Ice HD channel.  Amazing that they’re *#$%@& using it.

Let’s go Dal-las!  *glass glass glassglassglass*

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 03/17/11 at 10:36 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Wondering how we’re doing face-off-wise.  Seems like Helm is winning his…

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 03/17/11 at 10:37 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

Yes do you have my back, and I don’t mean a reach around.

I thought that was a Denver thing, or so I read someplace.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 03/17/11 at 10:37 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

I thought that was a Denver thing, or so I read someplace.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 03/17/11 at 08:37 PM ET

I think it only counts if you dress in drag.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 03/17/11 at 10:38 PM ET

TheRealYooper's avatar

alright, the wings have gotten away with only playing 20 minutes of this game, can they at least play the next twenty?  they would then be at their average of forty minutes of playing time per game.

Posted by TheRealYooper from within sight of the edge of the Earth. on 03/17/11 at 10:40 PM ET

behind the net in G.R.'s avatar

I thought that was a Denver thing, or so I read someplace.
Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 03/17/11 at 08:37 PM ET

You read very well my friend.

Posted by behind the net in G.R. on 03/17/11 at 10:40 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Posted by TheRealYooper from within sight of the edge of the Earth. on 03/17/11 at 08:40 PM ET

I’ll take 10 minutes and a 1-goal win.

In fact, I don’t care how they play the rest of the game on the back-end of a B2B as long as they win.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 03/17/11 at 10:41 PM ET

Faceoffs.  Waaay back on the first page provided by George.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 03/17/11 at 10:41 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

If I ever see that at a Red Wing game… I’m sure I’ll get thrown out for what I’d do.

Posted by calquake on 03/17/11 at 08:31 PM ET

What? No jail time?

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 03/17/11 at 10:42 PM ET

behind the net in G.R.'s avatar

I think the GMs did a good job this week addresing head shots, next meeting they need to address hand shots to the glass.

Posted by behind the net in G.R. on 03/17/11 at 10:44 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Posted by behind the net in G.R. on 03/17/11 at 08:44 PM ET

A2Y translation:

“They did a good job getting head; next they have to get hand jobs on the agenda.”

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 03/17/11 at 10:45 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Man, I am firing blanks tonight… is this thing on?

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 03/17/11 at 10:46 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

I think it only counts if you dress in drag.

Posted by RedMenace from Don’t mind me, I’m just ignorant… on 03/17/11 at 08:38 PM ET

Does that include leather-clad ball-gagged men named Gary?

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 03/17/11 at 10:48 PM ET

Trish's avatar

is this thing on?

Just that kinda night Red.

Posted by Trish from Tampa/Clearwater FL on 03/17/11 at 10:49 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Excuse me a minute I gotta take a hops-induced piss.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 03/17/11 at 10:50 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Does that include leather-clad ball-gagged men named Gary?

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 03/17/11 at 08:48 PM ET

Whatever pimps your panda, man.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 03/17/11 at 10:51 PM ET

behind the net in G.R.'s avatar

Posted by RedMenace from Don’t mind me, I’m just ignorant… on 03/17/11 at 08:45 PM ET

I don’t know why maybe it is the beer, but I am laughing so hard I have tears in my beers.

Posted by behind the net in G.R. on 03/17/11 at 10:51 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

Gotta sign off kids.  The last Board meeting of my term is tonight. That’s a good thing.

Be back on Saturday ...if the radiation cloud doesn’t git me.

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, hanging with Dan Cleary.... on 03/17/11 at 10:51 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Posted by RWBill from Virginia, Imported From Detroit, bitch. on 03/17/11 at 08:50 PM ET

BILL!!  You coming down here in April for the Wings/Hurricanes tilt?  I need to see if Dougie is going…

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 03/17/11 at 10:51 PM ET

calquake's avatar

The Irish reach-a-round: Grabbing o’ the Lucky Charms.

Posted by calquake on 03/17/11 at 10:52 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Posted by Rumbear from the Top O the Hasek, Winning! on 03/17/11 at 08:51 PM ET

Have a good meeting, Rumsy.  We’ll hold it down for you.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 03/17/11 at 10:52 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

LGRW - - just freaking win

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 03/17/11 at 10:53 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Faceoffs.  Waaay back on the first page provided by George.

Posted by SYF from I-75 and Dix Hwy on 03/17/11 at 08:41 PM ET

Thanks.  I went and checked.  Nothing filled in.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 03/17/11 at 10:54 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Posted by Rumbear from the Top O the Hasek, Winning! on 03/17/11 at 08:34 PM ET

They’d probably fail with something like, “This is NASHTown.”

Posted by RedMenace from Don’t mind me, I’m just ignorant… on 03/17/11 at 08:35 PM ET

Before the game Babs told Ken Kal “He’d sure look good in a Red Wings uniform”.  Indeed.  I called tht several years ago but he carries too much of a contract.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 03/17/11 at 10:54 PM ET

Third period.  Finish this, Wings.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 03/17/11 at 10:54 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Posted by behind the net in G.R. on 03/17/11 at 08:51 PM ET

Heeeeeeey, at least I got someone chuckling.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 03/17/11 at 10:54 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

Whatever pimps your panda

My panda is an indepenent contractor.  Shy little thing too.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 03/17/11 at 10:55 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

PP for the damn win - - lets do this

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 03/17/11 at 10:55 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Bertuzzi takes stick to mouth.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 03/17/11 at 10:55 PM ET

Thanks.  I went and checked.  Nothing filled in.

Posted by Ms_Red_Winger on 03/17/11 at 08:54 PM ET

Strange.  Helm is 6-8 tonight so far.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 03/17/11 at 10:55 PM ET

Jackets are laying back on their PK.  Get a goal NOW, Wings.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 03/17/11 at 10:56 PM ET

Dangles!  I giggled.

And so did Mick.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 03/17/11 at 10:57 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar