Abel to Yzerman

Ready… Set… Gut Check Time

I am a mess.  An excess of nervous energy, my uncontrollable leg (the Jimmy-leg) bouncing, and random hallucinations caused by psychotropic drugs have made me a shell of the man I usually am.  And yet, strangely, I am okay with that.

For some reason these playoffs feel different to me.

Sure I am just as stressed as every other season, but this time I have a strange feeling of resignation.  Whatever will happen, will happen.  Whichever Detroit Red Wings team shows up tonight will determine the 19’s feelings tomorrow.  For me, that has been the way it has been all year, there is nothing different.

Strangely, being involved in a Game 7 in Round 1 is exactly where I want the Red Wings to be.

The 19 have had a long season.  Jobu has prison sexed us with curling irons all year.  That made us both sad and angry.  I think many of us thought about a post-season without the Red Wings involvement.  And that made us more sad and angry.

Now that the Wings are in the playoffs, it is time for them to decide what they want to do in them.  Which is why a Game 7 in the opening round is perfect.

It is time for the team to determine their destiny.  And either way, I don’t want them to fuch around about it.

Unlike past seasons, I will not be absolutely devastated with a first round loss.  Upset, yes.  Devastated, no.  That is unusual for me, and I suspect I am not alone.  Since the lockout, and even before, the Red Wings have played much more hockey than any other team in the world.  Which is why it is time for the team to decide what their future will hold.

If they decide that they want to take an early vacation, they will play like they did in Game 6.  While upset, I will be okay with that.  But only this round.

If they decide that they really are the best team in hockey, they will play like it.  Game 7 will be ours and I really dig that.  If they win, they must not stop until Cup #12 is theirs.  There can be no in between.  No losing future rounds.  It’s now or never, either the Wings take an early vacation tonight, or they go all the way to Cup #12. No more fauxing around.

I will say this, if they win tonight and lose in the second or third round, I will be more upset than if they lost tonight.  In fact, I will be livid.

Lose tonight and take a long-deserved vacation.  I can live with that.

Win tonight, and Cup #12 is ours.  I will love that.

There is no in between.  Do or die.  The answer will come tonight, bitches.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

1 2 3 >  Last ›      Next »

I’m all in, VooX.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 04/27/10 at 04:45 PM ET

Hear. Phuggin. Hear.

Thanks for writing this up Voox, summed up my feelings on this year’s team rather perfectly. Lose or Shine tonight, I’ll be just fine.

LGRW

Posted by Deuce from Brooklyn on 04/27/10 at 04:45 PM ET

I can understand that thinking…I do want the Wings to get rest…but I think I’ll be able to accept it if they lose in a later round.

Except for the Finals. Especially if it’s against…you know.

Posted by Tyler from Arizona on 04/27/10 at 04:51 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

There is shame in losing to a bunch of cast-off, has beens and never weres. There is shame in losing to a team owned and run by satan.
There is shame in losing to a team with bandwagonning tool fans that tout their bandwagonning on signs claiming their fandom was established just four months ago.

Lose to San Jose. Lose to Chicago. Hell, even lose to the Pens in the finals again.

Do not lose to the mange!

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 04/27/10 at 04:54 PM ET

Amerinadian's avatar

Strangely, in the back of my mind, this very quiet voice is saying “a loss means no more stress”.

I want the stress. I need the stress. I love the stress.

Go Wings. Get it done.

Posted by Amerinadian from Chicago via Toronto on 04/27/10 at 05:00 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Lose tonight and take a long-deserved vacation.  I can live with that.

I’d be lying if I said I’d be o.k. with a loss.  I demand a WIN for every single Detroit Red Wing’s fan on the planet and everywhere else they exist.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 04/27/10 at 05:02 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Nope, not hedging my bets.  A loss tonight sucks

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/27/10 at 05:04 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

A loss tonight is unacceptable.  My playoff mustache just finally got past the “High I’m a senior in high school trying to look cool” look.

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 04/27/10 at 05:06 PM ET

Amerinadian's avatar

God did not give me the ability to grow a proper beard, so I shaved my head before Game 1. However, every time I have shaved, the Red Wings have lost the next game, including Game 6.

The razor is in the garbage. I don’t care how bad it looks, no more shaving until the Wings are out.

Posted by Amerinadian from Chicago via Toronto on 04/27/10 at 05:07 PM ET

cainer4wingsglory's avatar

I couldn’t have said it better myself Voox. However, I will probably be livid at about 1am if they do lose, but it won’t haunt me all summer like last year’s collapse did. It will be easier to get over. That being said it’s time send the Yotes roster of misfits back to the hole they crawled out of…...

Posted by cainer4wingsglory on 04/27/10 at 05:08 PM ET

MarkK's avatar

You know, I was looking for just a regular image of Leonidas, but this is more appropriate.

Posted by MarkK from Maryland on 04/27/10 at 05:13 PM ET

Twig in Houston's avatar

i don’t want the wings to be part of their story. let the story end tonight.

once upon a time, there was a hockey team in the desert. no one liked them until they started winning. then everyone was happy. then they played the red wings. THE END.

Posted by Twig in Houston from Houston, TX on 04/27/10 at 05:16 PM ET

MarkK's avatar

Youtube vid: Zetterberg gets ready for Game 7

Posted by MarkK from Maryland on 04/27/10 at 05:18 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Posted by Amerinadian from Chicago on 04/27/10 at 03:07 PM

Fish it out. You may want it for another purpose depending on how they play tonight.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 04/27/10 at 05:18 PM ET

Trish's avatar

I like Twig’s story.

Most of the guys deserve a long rest but I always want my team to WIN.

And I believe they want to win, so let’s do it.

Posted by Trish from PalmBeachCntyFL on 04/27/10 at 05:21 PM ET

Primis's avatar

VooX I will be completely devastated if they lose.

Bright sides and silver linings are for the losers.

Posted by Primis on 04/27/10 at 05:21 PM ET

koalacaust's avatar

until the board reads 00:00, until the ice is empty tonight and a winner determined, I cant accept a loss from the bitches Iv been raised to know and love as the Detroit motherfuching Red Wings. not here, not tonight. dont care how narrow-minded and stubborn that makes me but Im not about to give up on them now. Wednesday morning, if the unthinkable happens, this article will be the perfect description of my feelings but until then..

L.G.R.W.

Posted by koalacaust on 04/27/10 at 05:28 PM ET

Amerinadian's avatar

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from Warm and sunny SoCal on 04/27/10 at 03:18 PM ET

If they do lose, I plan on being too drunk to be able to pick myself off the floor, let alone a razor.

Posted by Amerinadian from Chicago via Toronto on 04/27/10 at 05:31 PM ET

Pugna Vox's avatar

Maybe it’s the vast quantity of crap vodka that’s traveled past my tonsils over the last few days, but I have come down with a bad case of The Fear.

Jobu shit on my laptop last Sunday and while I’m back up and running, it’s still Wrong. The vibe, captain, she is Bad. Chekov knew about The Fear; Dr. Gonzo embraced if.

“I must not fear, fear is the mind-killer”

Yeah, well fuch you Paul Atreides. You might ride a 800-foot worm but you don’t know dick about playoff hockey. LGRW.

Posted by Pugna Vox from Idiot Out Wandering Around on 04/27/10 at 05:32 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

Try not. Do or do not, there is no try.

You may not want to bet on the Wings, but you sure as hell should not bet against them.

I said it before and I’ll say it again…...

One game double or nothing…....got em right where we want em.

Lets Go Red Wings !!!!!

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, doing the pre-season shuffle.... on 04/27/10 at 05:34 PM ET

Mandingo's avatar

Really good post, Voox. Similar to what I’m feeling as well.

Bob Wojnowski—certainly not a hockey insider by any stretch, but still one of the few Detroit sports pundits with an IQ over 90—used a phrase to describe the Wings in his article today that for me perfectly encapsulates their season to date: “strangely undisciplined”

I think what he means is not that it’s particularly “strange” to see the Wings play undisciplined hockey…lord knows they did it all throughout the regular season last year as well…but that this particular lack of discipline has a strange feel to it, as if there’s something else going on.

From the drop of the puck in this series, I’ve felt a sort of “f*ck it” mentality coming from the Wings. It just doesn’t seem like their hearts are in it. I’ve seen that many times in the regular season over the years, but never, ever in the playoffs.

Three straight years of 100+ game seasons has finally caught up to this team, mentally and physically.

I will be pretty shocked if the Wings win tonight. I’m not saying that as a reverse psychology measure or to soften the blow if they do lose. I’m not particularly nervous about the outcome and I wouldn’t really be that upset if they lost. I just honestly don’t think this team wants it bad enough. And I don’t even necessarily think that’s a bad thing. Maybe they need a long summer to regroup.

The thing that’s the most depressing to me isn’t the prospect of a loss tonight, but the fact that this might be Lidstrom’s last game.

I hope I’m wrong about everything I just wrote.

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 04/27/10 at 05:39 PM ET

MarkK's avatar

Sweet a Dune reference. I busted out one this morning.

Posted by MarkK from Maryland on 04/27/10 at 05:41 PM ET

MarkK's avatar

Thanks Mandingo.  I’m going to find a bottle of valium to swallow.

Posted by MarkK from Maryland on 04/27/10 at 05:42 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

One game double or nothing…....got em right where we want em.
Lets Go Red Wings !!!!!
Posted by Rumbear from Top-O-The Hasek, hitting golfballs on 04/27/10 at 03:34 PM ET

For a guy who hits golf balls, you’re alright Rummie.  LOL

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 04/27/10 at 05:42 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Voox, you took the words right out of my mouth.

I have a strange sense of ease today; and not so much because I’m confident of a win as much as it’s a feeling of inevitability. Co-workers were amazed, because in the past during days of big playoff games I was a wreck at work. Not today. What happens, happens. And though I will be disappointed should the Wings lose, there is a part of me that cannot get over the feeling that this team getting the entire month of May off is nothing but a big positive for next year.

It’s just too difficult to hold a grudge against this team; a team that has provided its fans with so much over the last two decades. It’s been too amazing of a run to let a first round exit in 2010 mean all that much.

We are fans of the most successful NHL team of the last decade. That fact alone makes many ‘negatives’ sort of just disappear into thin air.

Do I want to win tonight? Hell yes. But, the anxiousness and nervousness of years past is non-existent. What will happen will happen.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 04/27/10 at 05:44 PM ET

TeamDub's avatar

VooX I will be completely devastated if they lose.

Bright sides and silver linings are for the losers.

Amen.

Posted by TeamDub from The gratch. on 04/27/10 at 05:46 PM ET

bobby lang's avatar

Pass the whiskey….either way, I’m gonna need to be plowed for this one.

Posted by bobby lang from Columbus, OH-IO on 04/27/10 at 05:48 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

I hope I’m wrong about everything I just wrote.
Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 04/27/10 at 03:39 PM ET

Most have thought it, nobody’s really said it. Til now.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 04/27/10 at 05:48 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 04/27/10 at 03:39 PM ET

On the bright side, Mandingo won’t be eating spiders or pictured on every milk carton in Michigan, unlike last summer.

Since that stupid-a$$ trip to Europe to start the year, this season has had a strange vibe. I, too, believe it is the vibe of a team mentally and physically worn out.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 04/27/10 at 05:50 PM ET

Trish's avatar

Well at least the players know who the best shutdown Dman is:

Shoulda asked them instead of the so-called writers who voted 4 the Norris.

Posted by Trish from PalmBeachCntyFL on 04/27/10 at 05:50 PM ET

Behind_Enemy_Lines's avatar

Posted by Twig in Houston on 04/27/10 at 03:16 PM ET

Golden. I am going to tell that story to my kids b4 bed tonight.

Posted by Behind_Enemy_Lines from Evanston,IL on 04/27/10 at 05:53 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

I just honestly don’t think this team wants it bad enough.

The team that has wanted to win the most has only won half of the games in this series. Even in the victories, the Wings haven’t looked like they want it more than the Coyotes.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 04/27/10 at 05:54 PM ET

Mandingo's avatar

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste. Marie on 04/27/10 at 03:50 PM ET

I wouldn’t completely rule it out smile

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 04/27/10 at 05:54 PM ET

hockeychic's avatar

Oh man, I’m so lame.  I’m tearing up just reading that.  I will never forget that horrible, horrible loss to Edmonton and looking at Stevie Y for the last time on the ice.  I could not stop crying.  I still can not talk about that playoff year, it hurt that much.

Lidstrom deserves better than a first round loss.

Let’s go RED WINGS!!

Posted by hockeychic from Denver, CO on 04/27/10 at 05:54 PM ET

MarkK's avatar

Ducks fans will also note that, judging by this poll, the club once had the luxury of sending out two of the top five shutdown D-men to withstand waves of Red Wings forwards with Niedermayer and Pronger.

Posted by MarkK from Maryland on 04/27/10 at 05:55 PM ET

hockeychic's avatar

I’ve felt that too.  At first I thought it was just the crap with Versus and the weird start in Europe but then came all the injuries and the bizarrness of “which team will show up tonight.”

Posted by hockeychic from Denver, CO on 04/27/10 at 05:56 PM ET

Not gonna happen.

Nick Lidstrom is NOT retiring after this year.

Posted by Deuce from Brooklyn on 04/27/10 at 05:57 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Before the playoffs started, I would have bet a large sum of money that Lidstrom would be back next year. With the way the playoffs have gone for him so far, now I’m not so sure. The level of his play has dropped a notch and even though that still makes him better than 95% of the D-men in the league, I wonder if it is good enough for him.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 04/27/10 at 05:59 PM ET

Mandingo's avatar

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from Warm and sunny SoCal on 04/27/10 at 03:54 PM ET

Agreed.

I was talking with a guy at work yesterday and we went game-by-game and determined that you could make a pretty good argument that the Wings have been outplayed in 14 of the 18 periods so far in this series.

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 04/27/10 at 05:59 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Lid’s kids are 16 and 14, I believe. I don’t see him pulling his kids out of the school system they’ve been a part of since kindergarten. But then again I don’t see how he could play four more years (2014, when his youngest graduates).

Maybe play for two more years, and then a fabricated position with the team for two years, until he returns to Sweden.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 04/27/10 at 06:02 PM ET