Abel to Yzerman

Ready. Set?

I’m back.  Deployment was great, as all are.  After the fact.  My track record for watching the Wings at sea is not good.  Sharks twice, Bubba. LA, Anaheim, New Jersey, Denver.  Some, almost all, of our ugliest losses have occurred while I was floating. So let’s avoid that for a while, eh?  Thanks to all of you for the support and, even more, for the humor. I read every one of your comments on every post.  And just before deleting them, I usually laugh.

No, I don’t delete comments. Bad joke.

But hey. This is fun. Ready? I know that you are.

The Red Wings have called a press conference tomorrow morning at Joe Louis Arena. Ken Holland and Nick Lidstrom are expected to speak.

It’s exactly what George just posted

The difference between his post and mine, though?

I typed it through a hail of vomit.  Let the speculation, as hundreds have already said, begin.  Press conference minus Illitch? Staying.  Press conference for an extension? No. Gotta be leaving.  Before the big confab with Tick Tock, Uncle Mike and the boys? Setting the stage to fill a big, gaping, blue line Hall of Fame hole or getting a low-key re-upping out of the way now to pave the way for critcal thirty days of Ken.

No idea. None. I can’t guess and I plan to drink heavily until the presser.  We’ll live blog that bioootcchhhhhh.

I’m back. Thanks for being the best pharmacists on the Gore.  More to follow? You bet your big asses there is.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

1 2 >       Next »

mrfluffy's avatar

You picked one hell of a day to return. Nice seeing you though.

Where’s the super glue?

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 05/30/12 at 05:53 PM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

don’t know but you’d better start sniffing. He’s done.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 05/30/12 at 05:55 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

I’ve heard ‘meph’ is all the rage these days…

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 05/30/12 at 05:57 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Not sure what the presser is for, but being the pessimist I am, I’ll assume Our Captain is retiring.

What an absolute joy watching that man play hockey the last two decades.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 05/30/12 at 05:58 PM ET

Savage Henry's avatar

I’m hoping for an announcement that he’s staying for one more year.  It’s the only way I can imagine a press conference being called for an extension.

Posted by Savage Henry on 05/30/12 at 06:01 PM ET

Savage Henry's avatar

Staying for one more year, then retiring, I mean.

Posted by Savage Henry on 05/30/12 at 06:01 PM ET

I was thinking along a similar line… I hope to Jesus, Buddha, Thor, Krishna and etc. that we’re right.

Posted by LGRWeh on 05/30/12 at 06:03 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Glad I didn’t pick today as the day to stop drinking.
I just can’t see how a presser is for anything but the inevitable.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 05/30/12 at 06:07 PM ET

TeamDub's avatar

I better stock up on bath salts.

Posted by TeamDub from The gratch. on 05/30/12 at 06:07 PM ET

Gabriel's avatar

I’m hoping for an announcement that he’s staying for one more year.

Did they call a press conference last year when he signed?

Posted by Gabriel from San Diego, CA on 05/30/12 at 06:07 PM ET

gowings's avatar

Welcome back….We all missed you!

As for the matter at hand….I would suggest to all the optimists out there to stop living a lie. He is NOT coming back. Nick is a classy guy, he does not need a press conference to say that he will be back one more year. This just SUCKS..

Posted by gowings from MTL on 05/30/12 at 06:09 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Conference Call.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 05/30/12 at 06:09 PM ET

Cwix's avatar

From St. James:

One of Lidstrom’s former teammates, Aaron Ward, posted on Twitter that Lidstrom will announce his retirement tomorrow.

Jebus

Posted by Cwix from Grand Rapids, now Roanoke, VA on 05/30/12 at 06:10 PM ET

YYZerman's avatar

Notice how he scheduled it for the day after the first game of the SCF. Pure class.

Posted by YYZerman from Detroit, Michigan on 05/30/12 at 06:24 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Hell, look at the flyer for the Winter Classic on the Wings website… Pavel and Hank & no Lids.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 05/30/12 at 06:25 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

So nice to have you back Master Chief.
We are all waiting to see what happens tomorrow. One can only hope TPH will stay for 1 more year, but, it does not look good.

Then again, it is 1 month earlier than we expected. Tick-Tock said July 1st, so,  maybe TPH will stay on.

If not, then we can expect to see some major changes all the way around. Here’s lookin’ at all of you, Bitches.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!! In ’13

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 05/30/12 at 06:26 PM ET

Did they call a press conference last year when he signed?

Shut up, shut up, SHUT UP!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Garth on 05/30/12 at 06:29 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

This feels like I’m turning the last page of my youth and staring at the back cover wondering how it all went by so fast.  Lidstrom has been a constant my entire life as a hockey fan.  Much like Yzerman leaving, this is going to take some getting used to.

Thanks for everything #5.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 05/30/12 at 06:30 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Posted by YYZerman from Detroit, Michigan on 05/30/12 at 04:24 PM ET

Patty Roy did the same thing.

Yuck. I never want Nick mentioned with him.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 05/30/12 at 06:35 PM ET

The only real question remaining, then, is: Fast track to the Hall of Fame, a la Gretz?

Posted by Steve in San Francisco from San Francisco on 05/30/12 at 06:36 PM ET

Aphaea's avatar

I should go buy alcohol now because I’ll be stuck in the fetal position tomorrow starting at approximately 11 AM.

All hockey fans, not just Red Wings fans, have been lucky to watch Lidstrom play. If he indeed retires, then I can only say my thanks (said through tears of course).

Posted by Aphaea on 05/30/12 at 06:48 PM ET

Cwix's avatar

Now I realize why I went to buy booze today at 11 AM…

Posted by Cwix from Grand Rapids, now Roanoke, VA on 05/30/12 at 06:50 PM ET

hockeychic's avatar

Chief - so good to see you back.  Glad you are safe and sound.  After reading the news about Nick, I was so hoping there was a post from you.

We have been so lucky to have him for so long…the sadness will eventually turn to celebration.

Posted by hockeychic from Denver, CO on 05/30/12 at 07:38 PM ET

Brooklyn Deuce's avatar

St. James is saying he’s done

...

Dang.

Posted by Brooklyn Deuce from Fauborg Marigny on 05/30/12 at 07:40 PM ET

Keyser S.'s avatar

Actually, the presser tomorrow is his announcement that he’s playing 1 more year at $1 mill and he’s going to plead for the top free agents to come to detroit for less than market value to take a kick at the can with him.

Rumor has it, parise and suter already told him they’re in for $2 mill a year. That’s just a rumor though, I’m not 100% positive about it. Maybe 60% though.

Posted by Keyser S. on 05/30/12 at 07:49 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

Thanks for your service, Master Chief.

... now whisper in Tick Tock’s ear and remind him it’s his BIG summer to set the stage for No. 12 ... and sign #5 for a grand farewell tour ... of at least 2 more years ... for any amount.

//sigh//

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 05/30/12 at 07:54 PM ET

John's avatar

Something just occurred to me.  What if Lids is signing a one-year-this-is-it-and-then-i’m-retiring-contract?  I mean, it doesn’t seem like Nick in that he isn’t one for the lime light.  But, the Chief makes a good point—Illitch isn’t going to be there.. none of the Illitches are. Seems odd.

Posted by John from Pittsburgh, PA (Wings fan for life!) on 05/30/12 at 07:59 PM ET

monkey's avatar

They don’t do that anymore.  One too many Hall of Famers decided to un-retire and play again.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 05/30/12 at 08:31 PM ET

ONE….

MORE….

YEAR!!!!

Posted by Alex on 05/30/12 at 08:31 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Tick.  Tock.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 05/30/12 at 08:32 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Look, here’s the deal: As long as we sign Ryan Suter AND Dennis Wideman AND Zach Parise, everything will be ok.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 05/30/12 at 08:54 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Now I realize why I went to buy booze today at 11 AM…

Posted by Cwix from Grand Rapids, now Roanoke, VA on 05/30/12 at 04:50 PM ET

Roanoke has that affect on people.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 05/30/12 at 08:55 PM ET

Welcome home, Master Chief.  More Guinness toasts on the way.

And another more somber toast to TPH.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 05/30/12 at 09:01 PM ET

Bent's avatar

Oh my.  I’m not ready for this.

Posted by Bent from The U.P. on 05/30/12 at 09:05 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Press conference?
screen-capture-63

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 05/30/12 at 09:10 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

I’ve gotta say the retirement opinion carries much credence.  We haven’t heard of any discussion between GM and Lids since he came back from “vacation”.  This appears to be out of the blue.

Ready. Set. Vomit.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 05/30/12 at 09:12 PM ET

I don’t think there was much discussion last year, was there?  Isn’t it basically “Nick tells us he wants to play and tells us how much he wants” and that’s it?

Just playing devil’s advocate.  I’d love to think he’s coming back, but…

Posted by Garth on 05/30/12 at 09:25 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Just playing devil’s advocate.  I’d love to think he’s coming back, but…

Posted by Garth on 05/30/12 at 07:25 PM ET

Please keep giving me glimpses of hope.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 05/30/12 at 09:30 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

Where’s Vooxie when we need him?  Start settin em up because it’s feelin like a wake around here.

Glad to have you back safe and sound Master Chief.

This was bound to happen sooner than later. I think the late season nagging injury was the clincher for him. He is too classy to try and limp through another season if he is not up to his high level of standards.

Didn’t that injury happen against the Dive? Still another reason to hate them more.

Posted by cigar_nurse from Greenville South Cakalakee on 05/30/12 at 09:36 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

I don’t know whether to post here or at The Malik Report.  Maybe both.

F Me in the A !!
When I went to Sweden this was in the first morning’s sports section.

Dagens Nyheter Breakfast 1Okt09