Abel to Yzerman

R.E.L.A.X.

Before I go any further and lose this thought, I need to say something.  I know I can be sarcastic sometimes and it may come off as arrogant or even insensitive.  That's not always coincidental.  I do it on purpose every once in a while.  But this one's from the heart.  I should have said it a couple days ago and it slipped my mind.  It shouldn't have.

There is a group of people out there hurting right now, and they deserve our compassion.

Hey Blues fans? SUCK IT.

There. Done. I can move on.

Welcome to the longest day of your lives.  Game 7. Whole world watching, or at least they could be.  They would have been, if Gary hadn't scheduled a Game 7 for 10:08PM EST.  On a Sunday. Unbelievable.  The self-inflicted wounds this charade of a league continues to levy upon itself keep astounding me.

The greatest spectacle in sport, the most pure, raw, tense scenario any sport can offer: an NHL Game 7.  And Gary Bettman has ensured practically nobody will see it.

What to expect tonite?  Victory.  Expect it.  Bet on it.  Revel in it.  Look forward to it.  Do not worry about this game.  Do not stress today.  It will do you no good.  Take your moms to dinner.  Enjoy the sunshine.  Pedal, kayak, dance and frolic.  Buy a case of Vernors and share it with your neighbors.  Be a citizen. Put on some old jeans and go to Home Depot. Hang out at the contractor's counter and pretend you know what the hell you're talking about.  Visit the paint section and take like 60 of those card samples, then hand them to other customers and tell them you think that color would go really nicely in their kitchen.

Do all of that, but do not stress.   Look forward to this thing.  Anticipate the angst, the sadness, the hatred on those faces when Getzlaf and Perry dodder through the handshake line.

We're going to Chicago.  I have no doubt.  There will be a Live Blog tonite, because baby Jesus decreed it.  It's an edict.  And it will be disgusting.  But you have like 7 hours until then.  And remember? When you have some spare moments, and the tummy starts to churn, the stress seeps in.  You're going to think to yourself that you hate the playoffs.  And you do.  It's ok.  But you know what? You know who hates them more?

Blues fans, that's who.

Enjoy the day, my friends.  It could always be worse.  And that's just funny.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous        < 1 2

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Go check the last LB, my reverse superstition worked.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from Warm and sunny SoCal on 05/12/13 at 07:01 PM ET

I saw it in the last LB when you posted it. I get it. But still.(no jink)

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 05/12/13 at 06:22 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

So Babs said he didn’t think the fourth line was tough enough last game - he wants Eaves in because of the number of finished checks he had in his last game (6 or 7), he wants Sammy in for the power play and Bert in for his size.  Eaves says he’s not concerned about faceoffs - that they will get it done. Ladies and germs, your new fourth line!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 05/12/13 at 06:29 PM ET

Little Redhead's avatar

Lets Just Do It.....WINGS!

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Little Redhead from the Engineer's chair on 05/12/13 at 06:33 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Didn’t I see a stat that points on the fourth lines were ANA 9-1?

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 05/12/13 at 06:38 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Wow.  Didn’t realize it was that bad.

Babs clearly wants big bodies in there.  I still wonder why Tootoo hasn’t seen action in the last few games.  I thought the Eaves/Emmerton/Toots line was pretty darned good before Sammy and Bert came back.  But maybe not as good as I thought?

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 05/12/13 at 06:39 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

OK, Bruins and Leafs - whatever the outcome, finish in regulation please.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 05/12/13 at 06:41 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

friend of mine sent this to me…

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/12/13 at 06:46 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Emmer’s been good, and not a liability, Eaves may be more physical and can PK.

I’m calling Eaves with the game winning Shortie tonight, Detroit’s first short handed goal since 2009.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 05/12/13 at 06:51 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/12/13 at 07:46 PM ET

That is beauty.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 05/12/13 at 06:54 PM ET

BC's avatar

My Mom got one of my Vernors today.  Rest are for me for the game.

(If she was a Blues fan she would have gotten none.  Thanks for the lauh, Chief)

Go, Wings!

Posted by BC on 05/12/13 at 06:58 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/12/13 at 07:46 PM ET

How fortunate we are.  No matter what happens tonight, we have the best hockey franchise in the NHL.

That said, I still believe the Wings will do it tonight.  I’ve got a good feeling.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 05/12/13 at 07:06 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Gotta 12 pack of Vernors and one can of Rock-n-Rye. The Vernors is from Detroit, but, it is now available in Pa. The Rock-n-Rye is only available back home. I lay claim to the one can. I’ll gladly share the Vernors.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 05/12/13 at 07:08 PM ET

RorSchach's avatar

Rock N Rye? Oh yes please. I have the tequila.. I’m several shots into it.. and beer as the chaser. So.. Yeah. I’m golden right now. Like Charlie Fuching Buckets and that golden ticket.

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 05/12/13 at 08:21 PM ET

MsRedWingFan's avatar

Emmer’s been good, and not a liability, Eaves may be more physical and can PK.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 05/12/13 at 07:51 PM ET

well it wasn’t Eaves but Abby ...so it’s all good grin
  my hometown boy

Posted by MsRedWingFan from West Michigan hometown of Abdelkader on 05/13/13 at 07:53 AM ET

« Previous        < 1 2