Abel to Yzerman

Quinn Hughes Could Have Been With The Wings In Vancouver Tonight

from Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press,

Quinn Hughes has shown enough dominance that one former teammate thinks he’ll be a star right away in the NHL.

The Detroit Red Wings could have had Hughes in their lineup, but instead they'll get their first look at Hughes at the NHL level Tuesday when they take on the Vancouver Canucks.

Hughes celebrated his 20th birthday Monday, but he already plays with a savvy beyond the nine NHL games he has played in his career.  He had an assist in his debut, already has his first goal and has two multi-point games among his six points.

“He’s been impressing people with his vision, and his offensive ability is up there,” Wings defenseman Alex Biega said. “I think he is going to bode well with a full season under his belt after this year. And who knows — he might surprise people and keep his pace and be the defenseman that they’re hoping for five years from now, he might do it right now.”

continued

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

Paul's avatar

from Max Bultman of The Athletic,

So no, it’s not world-ending that the Red Wings are getting outsized shares of their production from their top and bottom lines, with less from the middle. That can ebb and flow, and scorers like Andreas Athanasiou won’t stay quiet forever. Maybe that’s why, when the Red Wings practiced in Vancouver Monday, they kept the vast majority of their forward lineup the same, with the only noticeable change the reinsertion of the injured Frans Nielsen onto the third line.

And yet, as the season starts to move past the “first impression” stage and a more defined rhythm begins to take hold, it’s hard not to wonder what, specifically, those middle lines need to be doing differently. Especially the second line, led by Athanasiou and surrounded by Luke Glendening and Taro Hirose.

“I think one, they’ve gotta play as a unit of three, and as a unit of five,” Detroit coach Jeff Blashill said Monday.

more ($$$)

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 10/15/19 at 08:58 AM ET

hockeyfreak13's avatar

I’ve seen Hughes play a couple of times in person now and he’s the purest natural skater I’ve ever seen.

Also, how in the world did Filppula score 17 goals last year?

Posted by hockeyfreak13 from Grand Rapids on 10/15/19 at 10:52 AM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

Yes Philly has not looked to good. Not bad but not good either.

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 10/15/19 at 11:11 AM ET

Steeb's avatar

I know Holland’s mantra for the draft has always been “best player available” rather than need, but we’ve been desperate for defense for years, and I really wanted Quinn Hughes, and was a bit gobsmacked when we drafted Zadina. QH is a top pair, if not clear #1 in the making. So I’ve been tapping my toes and looking at my watch since we drafted Zadina, and I hope he proves me wrong, but I’d still rather have Quinn.

Posted by Steeb on 10/15/19 at 11:24 AM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Posted by Steeb on 10/15/19 at 12:24 PM ET

I would also rather have Quinn based on the early returns on Zadina, but I’m not so sure Quinn is on track to be a #1 dman. He might end up having a lot of regular season success, a la Karlson, but never deliver in the post without more physical players around him.

You never know how the game will evolve, but we just saw the Blues are their tree trunk Dmen win a cup. B’s have Krug but they also have Chara, McAvoy, and Carlo.

You also never know how a player might evolve, QH could put on 25lbs and grow another 2 inches too, he’s still young.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerGod's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 10/15/19 at 12:13 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

The Detroit Red Wings could have had Hughes in their lineup

The Hawks could have drafted Lidstrom.

Datsyuk could have drafted by Calgary.

Bret Hull could have been picked by…every time…numerous time.

It’s one of those things that drives me nuts when I hear it.  “This team could have had ____!”  Well, obviously.  But they didn’t, and apparently they had a reason to choose the way they did.

Posted by TreKronor on 10/15/19 at 12:16 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Some of you may remember Danny Grant, who has passed away.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 10/15/19 at 12:18 PM ET

Steeb's avatar

Posted by TreKronor on 10/15/19 at 01:16 PM ET

Right, and I even said I know why KH did what he did. But also pointed out our need for defense, and QH is in the bigs as an emerging star while Z is a middling AHL player thus far. NObody knew how good Lidstrom or Pav or Hull were going to be. Hughes was a sure-fire top 10 pick, and far and away the best d man in that draft not named Rasmus Dalin.

Posted by Steeb on 10/15/19 at 12:32 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Just want to say, I wasn’t going after you or anything in my post Steeb…more of a gripe with the author.

Hughes was a sure-fire top 10 pick

To be fair, he may have been a top 10 pick but no one really knows if he’ll be a top NHL player in another 4, 5, or 8 years.

It’s kind of like the Chychrun/Cholowski deal - who go the better Dman?  At first some were saying Arizona did, but now we’re starting to see some NHL minutes from both and maybe it will be Detroit who got the better guy.  Either way though - it’s still too soon to know with that one too.

Posted by TreKronor on 10/15/19 at 12:50 PM ET

Steeb's avatar

Posted by TreKronor on 10/15/19 at 01:50 PM ET

Right on, I’m just saying that my frustration with the Zadina-over-Hughes pick has not abated since the 2018 draft. But I do sort of see why it was made at the time, and hope I’m wrong!

Posted by Steeb on 10/15/19 at 01:00 PM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

Sad to hear about Grant. Didn’t he play on Dionne’s line? I was pretty young (sevenish).

I was for Hughes. I hope Zadina pans out but a dman like Hughes would be a perfect fit for Larkin and Happy To See You on the run and gun.

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 10/15/19 at 01:03 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by TreKronor on 10/15/19 at 01:50 PM ET

Yeah, people were pretty sure Chychrun was the Next Great Thing and DET settled in trying to get rid of Datsyuk’s contract.  That take has aged…. poorly.  That’s my very first thought here when reading about Q. Hughes/Zadina, in fact.  I also (at the time) wanted Chychrun badly, and was upset when they traded out of getting him to instead get Cholowski and a 2nd.  That extra 2nd then got them… Filip Hronek.

Cholowski + Hronek vs Chychrun?  Starting to look like a lopsided DET win, in that trade.  It very possible that while Hughes is a nice player, he peaks fairly early here and Zadina continues to progress into a big-time scoring winger.  And there’s VERY good reason to be suspicious of young defensemen succeeding early…

Posted by Primis on 10/15/19 at 01:24 PM ET

Hey look at that, Dylan $%^#$ Mcilrath has THREE TIMES as many points as Zadina does at this point in the season, but I’m sure he’s going to pick it up any time now…..

Yeah, that Hughes pick is looking better and better by the minute.

Posted by Matt_in_MI on 10/15/19 at 01:37 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

And Glendenning and Helm have more goals than Larkin.  Time to trash on Larkin, I guess.

Posted by TreKronor on 10/15/19 at 02:21 PM ET

Hughes wasn’t even the consensus #2 D behind Dahlin at the time; the article notes that Holland was leaning towards Bouchard.

Posted by Squarewheels from The Land of Unhealthy Scratching on 10/15/19 at 02:28 PM ET

Posted by TreKronor on 10/15/19 at 03:21 PM ET

Not even close.  Larkin is still producing points (assists) when he isn’t scoring goals.  He’s currently over 1 PPG.  6 pts in 5 games while playing on the top line against the other teams top line.

Zadina is currently (barely) a second line player in the AHL who has just 1 assist in 3 games and is -3.
while our big plodding 8 year pro d-man Mcilrath has managed 3 points in 3 games at the AHL level.  Zadina was supposed to be an offensive dynamo, and so far he hasn’t shown it.  I’m not saying he’s a bust, or going to bust, but for a player everyone predicted to be almost NHL ready and a top 3 pick, is not exactly setting the world on fire.  Compare to what Larkin did as a 15th pick…..  I was hoping for similar trajectory from a 6th pick who was predicted to go 3rd.  Guess I was hoping for too much.

I’m certainly not writing the kid off since he seems to have all the tools and its still very early….  But he does not really seemed to have gained much since last season as far as size, speed, strength, or effectiveness.

Posted by Matt_in_MI on 10/15/19 at 03:22 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Posted by Matt_in_MI on 10/15/19 at 04:22 PM ET

My point was more that these guys have only played a handful of games so far.  I mean, THE GRIFFINS HAVE PLAYED 3 FREAKING GAMES.  It’s about a month too soon to make any assertions about the players in GR.

Posted by TreKronor on 10/15/19 at 03:46 PM ET

Zadina’s lone junior season, at age 18, was statistically superior to any of Mantha, AA, or Veleno during their age-18 junior seasons.

Also, Zadina scored more points per game in his rookie AHL campaign (.59) than either AA (.58) or Mantha (.53) did, despite the fact that he was more than a year younger than they were during their debut pro seasons.

Give. Him. Time. People.

He may or may not pan out to be a superstar, but he is still not even 20 years old, his ceiling is still high, and even if he doesn’t quite get there he’s still on pace to be a really, really good NHLer.

Posted by Sven22 from Grand Rapids on 10/15/19 at 03:50 PM ET

Paul's avatar

from Ted Kulfan of the Detroit News,

While Quinn Hughes was listed in the Vancouver Canucks lineup Tuesday night for their game against the the Red Wings, Filip Zadina was not.

Zadina wasn’t with the Red Wings at all, as he hasn’t for much of his pro career, now entering the second season, just like Hughes is in Vancouver.

Zadina was practicing with the Grand Rapids Griffins, the Wings’ minor-league affiliate, and preparing for a weekend trip to Texas.

continued

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 10/15/19 at 04:40 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

My condolences to the entire Grant family. RIP Danny.

Danny Grant scored 50 goals while he was a Wing.

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 10/15/19 at 06:48 PM ET

WingedRider's avatar

Posted by TreKronor on 10/15/19 at 01:16 PM ET

Well said…What if, sort of looking backwards

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 10/16/19 at 12:04 AM ET