Abel to Yzerman

Quick Recap- Wings/Canes

I used two words a lot last season- offensively challenged.

This season after the first game- still offensively challenged after a 3-0 loss to Carolina.

The effort was there so maybe it's the talent level?

We will find out more on Saturday.

Detroit fight highlight below.  The Wings had 1 shot on goal in the first 18 1/2 minutes of the 3rd period.

Gagner/Hamilton

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

mrfluffy's avatar

Well…you know…could’ve been worse.

I only saw half the 3rd.  smile

Posted by mrfluffy from the phone, calling Detroit, telling them it's on 01/14/21 at 10:15 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Im not so sure about the effort. Carolina blocked almost everything….

But 3 shots in the 3rd, and just one of them is inside the circles (barely).

RUBBISH

Posted by ilovehomers on 01/14/21 at 10:18 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Looking at the box score and im getting even more pissed off.

Mantha 1 shot on goal with 4 missed shots.
Zadina did NOTHING. Not even a shot attempt with 3 gives. Thats all he got credit for. In 14:31.

Posted by ilovehomers on 01/14/21 at 10:45 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

SOS. confused

Posted by bigfrog on 01/14/21 at 11:10 PM ET

They started out hot.  They just got tired.  There were more than a few passes to the skates.  I think once our D fet more comfortavle with the system theyll engage for offense more.  It was all on the forwards tonight it seemed.  But the D did great imo.  Overall and everything considered.

Posted by ThatGuy on 01/14/21 at 11:40 PM ET

Looking at the positives, we are only 1 game below 500,
I think the effort was there and they played with decent structure, but even with this lack of talent, they have to do something about the PP. They cannot normally enter the zone for 3 years already I think. Drop back pass was used 100% of the time again, do they every work on something else?
With all doom and gloom though we were really 1 shot away from tying the game for most of the game till Larkin took a penalty. Greiss was solid.

Posted by VPalmer on 01/14/21 at 11:51 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

It’s a small sample, but if I were coach, I would find more ice-time for Brome. To me at least, he was one of the few “dangerous” forwards and seemed to be a step quicker than most. Maybe his playing overseas played a factor in that??

Posted by Down River Dan on 01/15/21 at 12:48 AM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Hockey is back! Can’t wait to watch exciting hoc…. that wasn’t very entertaining at all.  Aside from some cool videos about Larks getting the C and such, that game literally put me to sleep, fought to stay awake the whole time.

Some perspective though, 1st game in 7 months, that was really preseason game 1 for us.

The Canes are not only a good team, they played playoff hockey in the bubble and fielded the same squad, where as the wings have a different 2 new lines and D pairs.

Despite the shots on net disparity, I don’t think the Wings got that outplayed. Canes were the better team, but it wasn’t 4x matching the shot disparity.  Canes scored on a TO, and a PP, so be it, again they’re a more talented and better team.

Very obvious that Brome is a professional hockey player that has been playing in game action.  That said, Zadina was playing too right? So where was he at last, kinda unnoticeable.

Greiss looked good as did Bertuzzi, Lil’ Bert is not a “grinder” only player, that kid has some serious skill in tight physical spaces. Mantha looked lazy to me, and Larks looked like he was trying to hard to make an impact. Solid game for DDK.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerHolland2.0's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 01/15/21 at 08:13 AM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Yeah DRD, he took some smacks too and didn’t stop him.  Easily the best hussle last night.

Posted by ThatGuy on 01/15/21 at 09:03 AM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Within the first 5 game minutes their structure fell apart and the players were clumping together on defense. Their offense maybe had one or two quality shots on goal, maybe.

The pregame show was better than the game. FSND did a nice job.

It is going to be a long season. These guys looked gassed towards the end of the 1st. I have a feeling it’s going to take time to get into game shape. But for the guys who have been playing over seas, I would be curious to know if the pace in the NHL is a lot more intense.

Posted by TreKronor on 01/15/21 at 11:07 AM ET

These guys looked gassed towards the end of the 1st.

I wonder if that’s because most of them haven’t played a hockey game in 10 months and a third of the roster turned over.

Posted by PresidentJoeByzerman on 01/15/21 at 12:07 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Maybe it’s not fair, but I can’t let them off the hook due to fatigue, tired, gassed, not in game shape, whatever you want to call it.

Posted by ilovehomers on 01/15/21 at 12:10 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

For me, the best guys on the ice last night were Brome, Merrill and Greiss. I especially liked Merrill’s physical play. Same can be said for Erne.

If last night was an example of Blashill’s game plan, it looks like we’ll be watching a lot of blind drop passes this year, and not just on the power play. I see a lot of steals going the other way in the near future.

But it was a hockey game in January. I’ll take it.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 01/15/21 at 12:19 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Merrill won me over with his hair alone.

Posted by TreKronor on 01/15/21 at 01:07 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Merrill won me over with his hair alone.

Posted by TreKronor on 01/15/21 at 01:07 PM ET

That line goes with the old saying, TK, that: “You’re not cheap, but you are easy.”  grin

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 01/15/21 at 02:06 PM ET

jhpcarrier97's avatar

Well I think the Red Wings looked like they were out for a public skate with no gloves or sticks. I’ll start now,  Fire Blashill !

Posted by jhpcarrier97 on 01/15/21 at 02:53 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Mantha looked lazy to me

I agree. If Mantha can’t learn to self motivate he will never attain superstar status. This isn’t something new with Mantha. Let’s hope it changes.

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Covidquake, "Stay the F away from me" on 01/15/21 at 03:12 PM ET