Abel to Yzerman

Quick Recap- Detroit Red Wings/Nashville Predators

You don't even need to read between the lines for this recap.

1st period: no scoring

2nd period: no scoring

3rd period: 2 goals from Nashville, no scoring by Detroit.

Team stats

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

Wings_in_NYC's avatar

They are just beyond awful. I don’t know what the answer is. Glad I’m not in charge of this mess.

Posted by Wings_in_NYC on 02/23/21 at 11:12 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Remember, Yzerman likes what he sees so far this year. He sees improvement.

Lol

Posted by ilovehomers on 02/23/21 at 11:18 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

*Red Wings 4 on 2 rush late 2nd period*

Me: bet ya they won’t even get a shot off

Wings: 1st pass is errant pass, erne throws the puck on net

Preds: take it to other end and score (overturned)

I laughed after the errant pass. The rest didn’t matter.

Posted by ilovehomers on 02/23/21 at 11:20 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Th Wing should start wearing their reverse retro jersey so they can at least like they are at a practice and not an actual game.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 02/23/21 at 11:27 PM ET

I am starting to resent the announcers, and even SY, and staff talking about “the kids” and learning the game.  There are only 2 kids playing, Zadina and Hronek.  Past that you have a handful of guys in their primes, and a bus full of over the hill veteran presence. I know that they preach patience, that it will take time, but then they troll us with all the “kids” talk.  What are Svech, Smith, Lindstrom, Cholowski, Rasmussen thinking?  Are they glad that they are in the wings system?  Do they think they are getting a fair opportunity ?

Right now this makeover will end up eating the careers of Mantha, Larkin and Bertuzzi, unless the numbers of “kids” start increasing, and the talent level increases.

Posted by akwingsfan on 02/24/21 at 12:27 AM ET

The games aren’t even entertaining. There’s no excitement and it’s just plain old hard to watch.  I do because I always have but it’s just gotten so difficult to find any enjoyment in this team.

Posted by SevensForTed on 02/24/21 at 12:27 AM ET

That was the most boring game of the season that should have ended 0:0 with no scoring chances for either team, but, of course, special teams decided the game.

Posted by VPalmer on 02/24/21 at 12:28 AM ET

And with the divisions set this way it sucks twice as bad because we don’t even get to watch them play teams you want to see.

Posted by SevensForTed on 02/24/21 at 12:28 AM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

Helm playing on the 1st Line:

Prospects being held back in GR or Taxi Squad:

The GM giving his approval for coach and team:

I’m wondering if this isn’t just Yzerman’s way of tanking without drawing attention to his real plan all along….

hmmm

Posted by Down River Dan on 02/24/21 at 12:40 AM ET

PierreC's avatar

Since when you waive a player then put him in the line-up the next day ? What’s the point to waive a player if you do that ?? Nielsen early on took a regular shift like he was a big part of this team…not a freshly waived !

I thought Renny look shaky, he was there for the taking..but we never challenge him..not really. Our top gun were missing in action, Mantha was not even floating he was…standing still !

On defense it was all right, in the net it was all right..but we can’t score ..bottom line. Well when you keep dressing Neilsen, Fil i’m surprise we can’t score more !

Right now SY doesn’t care if we win or lose. If he would the washed up vets wouldnt be in the line-up and more young players would be in playing.

But SY doesn’t !

Why ?

Well maybe SY is betting that more time in GR would be beneficial to some kids.. In the meantime, its the same thing, we can’t score its boring to watch and its going to be like this for the whole season. So buckle up guys..Its going to be long..until SY decides that its time to bring the kids in ...

Posted by PierreC from Montreal, Canada on 02/24/21 at 12:40 AM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Something stood out to me tonight, and I think its a tell tale for anyone questioning whether this is a talent issue, coach issue, lineup issue, etc…

When’s the last time you heard either Daniels or Redmond say, woa nice pass nice whatta deke oh my nice move from INSERT RED WING?  At best its nice shot my mantha/Ryan right?

They certainly do it enough for the competition, but the wings its all about nice shot, good job on forechecks, good structure, Larkin having the legs really moving tonight or look at him go, good defensive play, physical in front, patient with the puck etc. etc. but no notable elite skill play that draws a high compliment from two homers paid by the home club to wax poetic about the home town team.

If you don’t have elite talent in this league that makes elite plays, passes, dekes, setups etc. you’re not going to be able to produce offensive consistently.

As an aside, does anyone else notice that Daniels audio is about a second ahead of the video play?

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerHolland2.0's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 02/24/21 at 12:41 AM ET

Figaro's avatar

Posted by akwingsfan on 02/23/21 at 11:27 PM ET

As the game went on, they seemed loopier and loopier, like… maybe… they’d had a few ginger ales.  Which I’m assuming they downed after (what I’m assuming) to have been forced to pour a lot of Red(Wings)-colored Kool-Aid for the first hour of the broadcast.  It was so over-the-top and away from their regular talk, that the cynic in me believes that they were told to say all that stuff… in exchange, they were allowed a bottle of scotch in the booth tonight.

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 02/24/21 at 12:45 AM ET

Figaro's avatar

You guys remember when we waived Nielsen?

Good times.

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 02/24/21 at 12:49 AM ET

Facts:this team makes virtually the same mistakes constantly, Blashill never has had a connection with these players. This is five years and he’s still developing his players. All sports will shake things up, we’ve already had different players here. We pick up serviceable vets and under Blashills system they’re lost and produce very little to nothing. Look at Larkin, 11 pts in 21 games. Ryan and Bert were doing well, Bert’s out and Ryan is somewhat stale. Detroit looked good in their 2-1 win over the Panthers although Florida looked a little flat. Change coaches.

Posted by stateofmifan on 02/24/21 at 12:52 AM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

Just Look a few hundred miles East & North to Buffalo who are now in year 10 of their rebuild for what the future holds….

grrr

Posted by Down River Dan on 02/24/21 at 01:01 AM ET

PierreC's avatar

more and more i believe SY doesn’t bother with results for this season. I presume, late in this one, he will recall some players from overseas..to see their progress. If they look all right he might change his view of the future..
...if they don’t look good then next season we might have to deal with the same results..and same coaching staff.

Until SY likes what he sees, good progress enough to believe this team is in the right path, he won’t make any change..but pyling up picks ...and more picks..  I

This covid season has destroyed a lot of things..

PS
What’s up with Bert ??

Posted by PierreC from Montreal, Canada on 02/24/21 at 01:34 AM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

You guys remember when we waived Nielsen?
Good times.
Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 02/23/21 at 11:49 PM ET

Did you think Neilson was being demoted? I’ve read and heard that it was a roster flexibility countless times.

I actually think Neilson is playing some pretty good hockey for a 3rd 4th line player, but to see that you’d need to ignore that Neilson is above the 81 and he doesn’t have the contract/history.  If he was some 1 year Yzerman UFA addition, I’m guessing the fanbase would just ignore him like most do with Gagner (anyone notice he’s out of the lineup? Yeah me neither).

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerHolland2.0's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 02/24/21 at 09:22 AM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

I didn’t notice, actually. Nice find.

Posted by ilovehomers on 02/24/21 at 09:46 AM ET

TreKronor's avatar

This has been most frustrating to me this season and last - these players can’t make basic plays.  I’ve complained about it before, and people will say it’s the coaches fault, but when two guys are looking at each other in their own zone, not even being pressured, and the pass is made to the other’s skates…that’s not on the coach.

The talent level on this team is horrible.  I was watching the 8 or whatever goal game the other night, and the other team was not even trying and still dominating.  Guys having a fun time on the bench, not even focused on the game.  Good for them I guess - they get to take it easy a bit on a gameday.

Posted by TreKronor on 02/24/21 at 11:51 AM ET

This is getting really hard to watch. I appreciate that Detroit has become a somewhat better defensive team but it’s alarming just how many times I’ve glanced at the scoreboard mid-way through the game and seen a bit fat ZERO for the Wings. The game is about entertainment and Detroit is putting me to sleep.

I know players need to learn the defensive side of the game but you need offense to win too.

IMO, we shouldn’t be seeing more than one of Neilsson, Filpulla or Gagne on the ice on any given night. Play someone younger even if it means giving up more goals.

Posted by evileye on 02/24/21 at 12:02 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

And the problem with low talent is that Yzerman has been trying to ADD talent and add scoring.

Posted by ilovehomers on 02/24/21 at 12:03 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Watching other teams play I notice they appear to have much more pace to their game. The Wings seem to be rather rambly-scrambly on the ice with no clear plan of attack. They are somewhat better in the defensive zone this season. Their games are hard to watch because of the lack of enough talent. This season is already in the dumpster. We’re just waiting for the lid to close.

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Shakeandquake, beginning to feel hopeful on 02/24/21 at 01:03 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

All in all, I can’t blame them for using this season to be this bad.  They aren’t selling seats - you honestly couldn’t pick a better time to not have to attract fans.

Posted by TreKronor on 02/24/21 at 01:09 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Posted by TreKronor on 02/24/21 at 12:09 PM ET

200% agreed, perfect time to suck, no need to rush a prospect up into this mess, no expectations on the team, no fans in the stands to boo, hit the reset button next year, lots of cap space, exp draft is done, new picks in the fold, more kids in the lineup and maybe we trade for or acquire some real talent too.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerHolland2.0's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 02/24/21 at 03:10 PM ET

Murray, good observation regarding amount of posts after a win (3?) and a loss (24)

Posted by VPalmer on 02/24/21 at 06:08 PM ET