Abel to Yzerman

Prospect Evan Bouchard On Playing For The Wings

from Ted Kulfan of the Detroit News,

The projections vary, but many of these NHL Entry Draft projections have London Knights defenseman Evan Bouchard going sixth overall in the first round to the Red Wings....

Bouchard was always a fan of Joe Louis Arena.

“It would be very exciting to become a Red Wing,” said Bouchard, a 6-foot-2, 195-pound right-shot defenseman who had a familiarity with the Wings’ former rink. “I’ve been to a few games at Joe Louis Arena. When I was younger I was able to skate on it (on the ice).

“It was obviously special.”

Bouchard is generally considered a lock to be a top-10 selection in June’s draft — something that was no sure thing entering the season.

read on

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

Paul's avatar

If you didn’t read on…

Craig Button, TSN’s chief draft analyst, feels Bouchard would be a good fit with the Red Wings.

In fact, Button compares Bouchard to a popular former Wings’ defenseman in terms of their styles.

“Larry Murphy,” Button said, when asked a player who reminds him of Bouchard. “Doesn’t play with a whole lot of fanfare, he won’t be in the highlights every night, but he’ll be on the ice at all the important moments and contribute in significant ways in all areas of the game.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 05/15/18 at 09:51 PM ET

I bet the hot dog vendors at the Pizzarena hope that’s the case.  LOL

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 05/15/18 at 10:30 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Gonna have to cut out the beer ads, too. Murph loved him those beer ads.

Posted by ilovehomers on 05/15/18 at 11:31 PM ET

Dammit, I really miss Larry Murphy now. So much more enjoyable then Chris “cocked-eyebrow” Osgood, or Darren “I’m smarter than you” Elliott.

Posted by benzanato on 05/16/18 at 07:35 AM ET

duhduhduh's avatar

Don’t draft that guy. He’s a total Bouchard.

Posted by duhduhduh on 05/16/18 at 07:41 AM ET

For some reason I thought Bouchard is more Weber than Murphy…Maybe it’s just because he is bigger than other potential choices like Hughes and Boqvist.
By the way, how does Hughes look in World Championship?

Posted by VPalmer on 05/16/18 at 09:08 AM ET

duhduhduh's avatar

By the way, how does Hughes look in World Championship?

Posted by VPalmer on 05/16/18 at 09:08 AM ET

I think he’s getting about 14 minutes a game.  I think he has a point.

Custance wrote about it a few days ago.

Some quotes from Wings associates.

Blashill:

“He’s done a good job of learning the things that he’s gotten away with at the college level that he’s not going to get away with here,” Blashill told The Athletic. “That’s going to be the most important thing for his development — learning. Can he learn to think a step ahead of the puck before he gets the puck? That’s the biggest thing.”

Blashill has seen signs that Hughes can. He stressed to Hughes that he needed to be in position to attack right away with the puck on the power play. Against Denmark, the Americans scored a power-play goal because Hughes listened.

“For me, that said, ‘Here’s a young guy who can get better,’” Blashill said. “As long as he has the capacity to do that, he’s going to have a bright future.”

Larkin:

At one point, Dylan Larkin and Cam Atkinson had a conversation about how much Hughes reminded Larkin of Columbus defenseman Zach Werenski, another University of Michigan product. It was the passing ability that tied in that comparison for Larkin.

“We know he’s a heck of a skater,” Larkin told The Athletic. “But he moves the puck. He gets the puck behind the goal line when he’s breaking out, and his head is right up. He almost makes eye contact with you, and you know you’re getting the puck. I’d say he’s the complete package.”

Posted by duhduhduh on 05/16/18 at 09:26 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Chris Peters tweet yesterday morning,

Big question I had about Quinn Hughes coming into Men’s Worlds is if he would try to play it safe against older competition. Answer: Nope. He’s played the same way he has all year and he hasn’t gotten himself into trouble much. Coaches keep putting him out there with good reason.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 05/16/18 at 09:29 AM ET

I’ve been on the side of drafting Bouchard (if available) for a number of weeks but the more I see and hear of Hughes I wouldn’t mind seeing him land in Detroit.  Either one will help the back end immensely.

Posted by Steve1306 on 05/16/18 at 10:34 AM ET

Werenski had 1 good year.  He was terrible to watch most of the year and without Seth Jones there’s no way he comes close to the same success.

Power play qb isn’t a complete package dman.

Werenskis size seemed a huge problem this year as well.  Could’ve been work ethic but he could not impose his will like Jones can.

Posted by ThatGuy on 05/16/18 at 10:59 AM ET

duhduhduh's avatar

Posted by ThatGuy on 05/16/18 at 10:59 AM ET

Two things:

Werenski is 20, and he’s 6’2”
Werenski played almost an entire season with a shoulder injury.

Posted by duhduhduh on 05/16/18 at 11:03 AM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Posted by MoreShoot on 05/16/18 at 11:03 AM ET

QFT

Posted by ilovehomers on 05/16/18 at 11:05 AM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

I asked this a few weeks back in a dead thread, wanted to toss this out there again, seems like some of you have seen him more than me, thoughts??

Unfortunately I did not get to watch a lot of college hockey this, year, and only a few frozen four periods let alone games.  So with a very limited sample size of watching him, I am not a fan of the Wings drafting Quinn Hughes #6 overall. If they wanted him, and traded down to get him picking up a high pick in the process maybe, but I’m not sold.

I think he’s a fine player, and will likely be a fine NHL player, but a lot of what separates him from the pack is his skating ability up the ice, and for a defenseman that’s not a premium in the NHL game.  Certainly won’t hurt the kid whatsoever, but I just didn’t see a lot of quick decisive passing, or getting shots through key holes, it was more his ability to use his feet.

I think he’s a 2nd pair ceiling kid, PP QB guy 1st or 2nd unit, but he’d need a quality physical shut down partner for him to be capable of playing on the 1st pair with effectiveness.

I know there’s some blue backers out there that have watched this kid more than me, am I missing parts of his game, do you have a different opinion?

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Holland Hate Hyperbole Town (HHHT) on 05/16/18 at 11:40 AM ET

Thank you MoreShoot. Considering Michigan connection I pretty much consider Hughes a Red Wing already. I think 2-6 it will go Svech, Zadina, Bouchard, Boquist, Hughes.

Posted by VPalmer on 05/16/18 at 11:41 AM ET

I think he’s a 2nd pair ceiling kid

I am of opinion we must draft only a dman with 1st pair ceiling if such is available (even if the chances of that player becoming a first pair guy are lower than somebody else chances of becoming a second pair guy)

Posted by VPalmer on 05/16/18 at 11:44 AM ET

duhduhduh's avatar

I mean, skating obviously isn’t everything, but this sentiment makes no sense whatsoever to me.

Here’s a quote from a profile of Mattias Samuelsson I read a little while ago:

“His numbers offensively have increased quite a bit here in the last couple months,” NTDP coach Seth Appert said. “Lot of that is from aggressively gapping and learning how good he can be at it. Because if you have to break the puck out from your own zone, generally speaking that’s tough to go 200 feet and scoring goals.

Break up plays in neutral zone through your defensive gaps and your stick and your backchecking, lots of times those neutral-zone turnovers can transition to odd-man rushes the other way.

That’s the way they teach is at NTDP, and a lot of other places (including at Michigan), and that seems to put skating ability pretty high up in the echelon of what makes a defenseman effective, especially in today’s faster game.

Posted by duhduhduh on 05/16/18 at 11:57 AM ET

Any of Hughes, Bouchard, Dobson, Boqvist will all be great consultation 1 prizes

Posted by benzanato on 05/16/18 at 01:43 PM ET

NIVO's avatar

hey hey, i can smell the grills from here!

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 05/16/18 at 03:03 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Posted by MoreShoot on 05/16/18 at 11:57 AM ET

Let me clarify, obviously speed is an attribute and ability to be a fluid skater is important, but the ability to skate north and south is not what separates #1 d-men from 2nd pair guys. Looking at the top end guys, the first attribute you look at is not, wow this guy is fast! Its more intelligence positioning first pass ability, defensive prowess etc.

To me, again just very very limited, what I saw was a guy using his north/south speed to be elite against college players, when that evens out at the next levels,  is his remaining toolbox elite?

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Holland Hate Hyperbole Town (HHHT) on 05/16/18 at 03:47 PM ET

Does anyone have concern about Boqvist’s two concussions?

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 05/16/18 at 03:54 PM ET

when that evens out at the next levels,  is his remaining toolbox elite?

Everything I’ve heard is Hughes is creative offensively and his speed helps that. Defensively people say he’s not physical at all and does not close the gap very well. For a quick player you’d think the latter wouldn’t be a problem, but it keeps coming up. With that said, he’s probably headed to the NHL. He’s succeeding against a lot grown players in College.

I’d prefer Bouchard because even though he’s only an average skater but the rest of his game seems put together and he has very good shot which Detroit needs desperately from the back end. And remember, an average skater still succeeds in the NHL while a defensive liability doesn’t.

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 05/16/18 at 04:02 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 05/16/18 at 04:02 PM ET

That’s my point, I’m reading the same, and again, very limited sample size that’s what I saw, and you hit the nail on the head of my concern. At the CCHA level, its a more open game, you have to respect that speed and give him more room to be “creative” whereas the NHL that room is squeezed out, the gap control is tighter as is the adherence to structure that can push that speed rush to the outside and out of harms way while controlling passing lanes.  I’m not hating on the kid, I was just wondering if what I saw in my limited window is kinda the book, and he’s got some room to grow.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Holland Hate Hyperbole Town (HHHT) on 05/16/18 at 05:40 PM ET

and he’s got some room to grow.

Hughes is the oldest out of the top Dmen bunch.

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 05/18/18 at 02:28 AM ET