Abel to Yzerman

Out Past The Cornfields Where The Woods Got Heavy? That’s Where It Has To Start

You've got some time so I want you to do something for me.  Go whip out your "Live Bullet" and cue up the greatest rock and roll song of our generation, "Night Moves".  Early on, just after Seger tells us about the aforementioned cornfields?

That's when he throws the line at us about the backseat of his '60 Chevy.  He doesn't sing it though.  He states it. Proclaims it. Brags about it. In the live version, Seger's swagger is unreal. He did some drilling that entire summer and he's not shy telling us about it.

Our boys used to drill like that.  Our boys used to lay pipe. Backrooms, alleys, trusty woods.  They'd live by the sword because that's what Red Wings did.  They slung that shit because they could, because it's what young men with talent did in a target rich environment.

Well, the hunting's not so good these days and more than a few of us have found ourselves a little sad, humming tunes from 1997 or 2002 or 2008.

And it could all end tonight, or Sunday.  Lose these two and the streak's over, the era fades away.

Chicago is a beast.  A circling, dangerous, darting dirvish. Too much talent.  Every line a hazard. Stingy. Well managed. Invincible, I'm sure.

I'm sure of it.  The Hawks simply cannot be beaten, not by this Wing team.  Too broken. Too old.  Too stale.  Poorly designed and downright neglected by a GM who have been fooling us all for years.

But if they win tonite?  I wonder. I wonder what a win tonite could do, if it would be enough to remind these Wings of what they used to be, of the villages they burned, the swath they so brazenly cut back when we were getting much more than our share.

A win tonite lets them wait on the thunder, you know.  It does.  A win tonite doesn't guarantee jack shit but it does enough to remind themselves, and Chicago, that counting out these Wings may be ill advised.

What an odd ditty. With 8 games left the Wings are dealing with mysteries without any clues.  A new place where none of us expect much. It's a Live Blog, bitches.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous        < 1 2 3 4 5 >  Last ›      Next »

DAN M's avatar

How bout staying out of what doesn’t concern you?

Posted by DAN M on 04/12/13 at 08:09 PM ET

DAN M's avatar

That’s like 3 times u had somethin smart to say viva brazil. U don’t kno me ok. Neither does kate and she’s callin me names.

Posted by DAN M on 04/12/13 at 08:10 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

If the Wings just come out and give it everything they’ve got, that’s all I want.

LET’S GO RED WINGS !!!!!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 04/12/13 at 08:10 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

No LB for me tonight, bitches.

Date night with my bride.

Ill be queueing up some Bullet Bob.

Lets Go Red Wings, hopefully.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 04/12/13 at 08:12 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Enjoy, Okie.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 04/12/13 at 08:12 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

Back in 5.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 04/12/13 at 08:14 PM ET

DAN M's avatar

We win a no-doubter tonight. Some dumb bimbo doesn’t call me names hiding behind a cpu screen. Those 2 thing and I’ll be overjoyed. LGRW

Posted by DAN M on 04/12/13 at 08:16 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

Damn, need another 5.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 04/12/13 at 08:19 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

thanks, Chief.

good memories.

now,

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 04/12/13 at 08:19 PM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

Some dumb bimbo

Who are you referring to?  We’re a little protective of Kate and the ladies here.  I’d guess your participation hinges on your reply.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 04/12/13 at 08:20 PM ET

DAN M's avatar

is that your picture photo shopped next to darren helm

Posted by DAN M on 04/12/13 at 08:20 PM ET

DAN M's avatar

sry she called me a name 1st.  troll.  i didnt like that. sry IwoCPO.  I respect you.

Posted by DAN M on 04/12/13 at 08:21 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

is that your picture photo shopped next to darren helm

The horse is photoshopped. Look for Detroit News and you’ll find more.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 04/12/13 at 08:22 PM ET

DAN M's avatar

sry its my anger with this team 1st and foremost.  i always read but ever write.  frustrations just boiled over.  mean you no disrespect IwoCPO

Posted by DAN M on 04/12/13 at 08:23 PM ET

DAN M's avatar

*never not ever.

and I only called her a name in retaliation to the name she called me.

Posted by DAN M on 04/12/13 at 08:24 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Don’t feed it.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 04/12/13 at 08:25 PM ET

DAN M's avatar

I gotcha.  no one likes being called names.  just kinda blew my stack

Posted by DAN M on 04/12/13 at 08:27 PM ET

Tony Perkis's avatar

Stars are looking good against the Preds. Not good.

Posted by Tony Perkis from Drinking at Robert's Lounge with Billy Batts on 04/12/13 at 08:30 PM ET

CSN in Chicago showing stat of Hawks 18 for 18 on PK last 11 games.  Seriously?!? They’ve only been shorthanded 18 times the last 11 games?

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 04/12/13 at 08:33 PM ET

ITDeuce's avatar

Are Ken and Mick still talking up the Gator on Pavs line deal?

Yikes.

Evening Bitches.

Posted by ITDeuce from The Sunny High Desert on 04/12/13 at 08:34 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

BJs up 3-1 on STL too.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 04/12/13 at 08:35 PM ET

TeamDub's avatar

I don’t talk hockey with your kind

Woman folk or people who make sense? Both?

Posted by TeamDub from The gratch. on 04/12/13 at 08:36 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

All caught up on the LB chatter.  I’m sensing a little hostility tonight.  Save it for Eddie OldDick and the Cawks.

Posted by Hootinani on 04/12/13 at 08:36 PM ET

DAN M's avatar

i’m sure you’d be cordial too to someone who doesnt know you who called u some troll

Posted by DAN M on 04/12/13 at 08:37 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

FSD FEED

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 04/12/13 at 08:38 PM ET

Tony Perkis's avatar

I’m currently in Philly, so I know them well too. I’d rather have Holland’s “moves” then the terrible ones Holmgren made. They should have never traded Bob, Carter and Richards. Bob is doin great in Columbus. Hope he owns the Flyers next year.

Posted by Tony Perkis from Drinking at Robert's Lounge with Billy Batts on 04/12/13 at 08:38 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Stars are looking good against the Preds. Not good.

Posted by Tony Perkis from Starting a fire in your mother’s panties. on 04/12/13 at 08:30 PM ET

We never should have bought out Whitney back in the day.  First mistake of the new era for Holland.

Posted by Hootinani on 04/12/13 at 08:38 PM ET

ITDeuce's avatar

Man, everything looks blue.

Posted by ITDeuce from The Sunny High Desert on 04/12/13 at 08:39 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Is this game being played with mood lighting?

Posted by Hootinani on 04/12/13 at 08:39 PM ET

Posted by DAN M on 04/12/13 at 08:37 PM ET

That’s what set you off? Really? OK then.

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 04/12/13 at 08:39 PM ET

Fuching Cawkford plays like Niemi and even looks like him.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 04/12/13 at 08:40 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

I gotta be part of that pre game in Chicago sometime.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 04/12/13 at 08:40 PM ET

TeamDub's avatar

This feed looks like it was recorded on VHS. In 1982.

Posted by TeamDub from The gratch. on 04/12/13 at 08:41 PM ET

Tony Perkis's avatar

I always liked Whitney too, but maybe the Wings didn’t want another old or veteran guy because everyone calls them old?

Posted by Tony Perkis from Drinking at Robert's Lounge with Billy Batts on 04/12/13 at 08:41 PM ET

Posted by Tony Perkis from Starting a fire in your mother’s panties. on 04/12/13 at 08:38 PM ET

Y’all be facing Bob six times next year.  Have fun.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 04/12/13 at 08:41 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Bad move Q

Posted by Hootinani on 04/12/13 at 08:42 PM ET

DAN M's avatar

kinda yea.  I dont call people names and i dont like being called names im frustrated with the team as anyone who loves them should be.

Posted by DAN M on 04/12/13 at 08:42 PM ET

Chinese.Fire.Drill.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 04/12/13 at 08:43 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Posted by Tony Perkis from Starting a fire in your mother’s panties. on 04/12/13 at 08:41 PM ET

He was making good money and playing 4th line for them at the time, which is why I assume they bought him out.  But that was when the team was full of all stars like Hull and Robitaille.

Posted by Hootinani on 04/12/13 at 08:44 PM ET

ITDeuce's avatar

So on the plane ride back from Phoenix last week I sat next to two 16 year olds from Chicago who had hockey jackets on.  They both played and were big Hawks fans.  But they both hated Kane.

Faith in todays youth:  RESTORED