Abel to Yzerman

Out Past The Cornfields Where The Woods Got Heavy? That’s Where It Has To Start

You've got some time so I want you to do something for me.  Go whip out your "Live Bullet" and cue up the greatest rock and roll song of our generation, "Night Moves".  Early on, just after Seger tells us about the aforementioned cornfields?

That's when he throws the line at us about the backseat of his '60 Chevy.  He doesn't sing it though.  He states it. Proclaims it. Brags about it. In the live version, Seger's swagger is unreal. He did some drilling that entire summer and he's not shy telling us about it.

Our boys used to drill like that.  Our boys used to lay pipe. Backrooms, alleys, trusty woods.  They'd live by the sword because that's what Red Wings did.  They slung that shit because they could, because it's what young men with talent did in a target rich environment.

Well, the hunting's not so good these days and more than a few of us have found ourselves a little sad, humming tunes from 1997 or 2002 or 2008.

And it could all end tonight, or Sunday.  Lose these two and the streak's over, the era fades away.

Chicago is a beast.  A circling, dangerous, darting dirvish. Too much talent.  Every line a hazard. Stingy. Well managed. Invincible, I'm sure.

I'm sure of it.  The Hawks simply cannot be beaten, not by this Wing team.  Too broken. Too old.  Too stale.  Poorly designed and downright neglected by a GM who have been fooling us all for years.

But if they win tonite?  I wonder. I wonder what a win tonite could do, if it would be enough to remind these Wings of what they used to be, of the villages they burned, the swath they so brazenly cut back when we were getting much more than our share.

A win tonite lets them wait on the thunder, you know.  It does.  A win tonite doesn't guarantee jack shit but it does enough to remind themselves, and Chicago, that counting out these Wings may be ill advised.

What an odd ditty. With 8 games left the Wings are dealing with mysteries without any clues.  A new place where none of us expect much. It's a Live Blog, bitches.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

1 2 3 >  Last ›      Next »

RWBill's avatar

The essential POS.  Night Moves.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 04/12/13 at 04:03 PM ET

Chris in Hockey Hell's avatar

Go whip out your “Live Bullet”

That’s what she said

Posted by Chris in Hockey Hell from Ann Arbor, MI but LIVING in Columbia, TN on 04/12/13 at 04:08 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Brilliant again, Chief, for this position is a mystery without any clues for an entire generation of Wings fans, and, well, the rest of us have just plain forgotten.

I gotta admit I was thinking of something completely different when you said this.

Go whip out your “Live Bullet”

She was a black haired beauty with big brown eyes, points of her own, sittin’ way up high.  Way up firm and high.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 04/12/13 at 04:09 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Autumn’s closing in on this season.

I’m ambivalent. Every loss brings them closer to ending the playoff streak and hope for a better future through the draft lottery. But I’m still a fan and damn I want them to win every game. But making the playoffs would set us up for anihilation by little brother. If Chicago wins the Cup this year they’ll have double the number of Cups over the last five years. Why did Mr. I ever let Bowman get away. Ramble on…

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 04/12/13 at 04:12 PM ET

Chris in Hockey Hell's avatar

the villages they burned, the swath they so brazenly cut

They raped the horses and rode off on the women.

Posted by Chris in Hockey Hell from Ann Arbor, MI but LIVING in Columbia, TN on 04/12/13 at 04:12 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Thanks for the POS update, Bill. It’s much easier on the eyes.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 04/12/13 at 04:13 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Best we can hope for tonight is for 42Jeff to post some points way up firm and high.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 04/12/13 at 04:15 PM ET

Davalos, Amigo, I mean, “Hola.”

I’d remind us of the national TV embarrassment of a couple weeks ago, but, SWM.

Two.Points.Wings.  That is all.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 04/12/13 at 04:20 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

In contrast, the POS teams are hovering within a point or two of .500 over the last ten.

Mediocrity. It doesn’t suck, but it doesn’t get you very far either.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from Warm and sunny SoCal on 04/12/13 at 04:18 PM ET

You know how screwed up the NHL is?  Looking at the other POS you realize San Jose has just 14 wins out of 40 games ( in regulation or overtime ).

That is a piss poor .350 !  But they are solidly in the playoffs , an elite team, nearly.

BJs have just 13 wins in 40 games, an abomination of .325, but are a NHL over .500 team and a playoff contender.

In the NHL, it doesn’t have to suck when you suck.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 04/12/13 at 04:22 PM ET

Little Redhead's avatar

Do it Wings, like we know you can!

Lets Go Red Wings!!!

Posted by Little Redhead from the Engineer's chair on 04/12/13 at 04:22 PM ET

hockeychic's avatar

Umm Chief?  “Night Moves” isn’t on “Live Bullet”...sorry to bring that up.  It’s on “Nine Tonight” if you want a live version.  It’s blasting in my headphones right now.

Please don’t hate me for pointing that out.

Last night I was trying to remember when the last time was that Franzen scored a goal or Walter.

Just give us a good solid two points tonight.

Let’s go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by hockeychic from Denver, CO on 04/12/13 at 04:33 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

I suppose the NHL Network will have the Chicago feed.  Sigh.  Does that mean Eddie OilSlick?  Gag.

Chief, thanks.  I do still hope.  I always hope.

People were talking about “negativity” in the GDT today.  I don’t feel “negative,” just depressed.  I hate to see the Wings struggle so ‘cuz I love them so.

A win tonight would be sweet.  Even if it’s only this one night.  Beat the Hawks.

LET’S GO RED WINGS !!!!!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 04/12/13 at 04:33 PM ET

gowings's avatar

Please excuse my French profanity…..but, “ca va mal en crisse”...nicely put, it means we are in serious trouble. Don’t bother wishing for a victory. Back to back games AND against Chicago. Forget it. I am a fan…but even I have my limits….I won’t be watching because I will be swearing in French all evening and all day tomorrow…..can’t let the kids watch it either…they have to wait a few more years….once they are mighty again LOL

Posted by gowings from MTL on 04/12/13 at 04:45 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

“Night Moves” isn’t on “Live Bullet”...
Posted by hockeychic from Denver, CO on 04/12/13 at 05:33 PM ET

Forget it, he’s rolling.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 04/12/13 at 05:00 PM ET

gowings's avatar

Sorry but….does the Red Wings website really selling tickets for the playoffs???Jesus, I suck at math….but common…..at least wait till you have better odds to get in no????

Posted by gowings from MTL on 04/12/13 at 05:06 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

I will be swearing in French all evening and all day tomorrow

Ahh, the sweet smell of…surrender?  Moi? NEVER.

Sometimes ya just gotta stand up and take yur asswhipping like a man.

Kid has a Lacrosse game tonight but right after that ...... I’ll be firmly ensconced in my real attorney recliner, enjoying a tall R&C and watching my team.

Bring it on bitches.

Let’s GO Red Wings !!!!!

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, with 3 fingers of rum & a cigar.. on 04/12/13 at 05:09 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Posted by gowings from MTL on 04/12/13 at 06:06 PM ET

Mandated by NHL, Inc.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 04/12/13 at 05:14 PM ET

DAN M's avatar

sj sharks 8-1-1 last 10 vs the wings. here guys here’s brad stuart with a bow wrapped around him. blackhawks 9-0-1 their last 10 @ joe louis arena. here guys take hossa. just lose a hall of famer in his prime for nothing to the #1 team just itching to vaporize us. sharks #2

Posted by DAN M on 04/12/13 at 05:18 PM ET

...I will be swearing in French all evening and all day tomorrow…

Posted by gowings from MTL on 04/12/13 at 05:45 PM ET

Morticia Addams?  Is that you?

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 04/12/13 at 05:20 PM ET

DAN M's avatar

1st rounders are so valuable that they’re not worth gaborik but hey let’s give one up for quincey who I swear is on drugs this year. Dudes a shell of what he used to be which wasn’t all the impressive to begin with.

Posted by DAN M on 04/12/13 at 05:20 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

enough to remind these Wings of what they used to be

problem is, except for Datsyuk and Zetterberg, THESE Wings never used to be what you describe.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 04/12/13 at 05:22 PM ET

DAN M's avatar

Let’s look the other way with what’s going on with luongo and give jimmy howard a 6 year contract. Makes perfect sense. I at least give howard props for wanting to stick around. Like the captain going down with the titanic.

Posted by DAN M on 04/12/13 at 05:22 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

so, DAN M, what other goalie would you want?  and bear in mind he has to be AVAILABLE.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 04/12/13 at 05:25 PM ET

DAN M's avatar

I love jimmy howard but no goalie not named pat roy, dom hasek, or brodeur deserves that long.  Especially not on a team thats incapable of signing a backup.

Posted by DAN M on 04/12/13 at 05:28 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Posted by DAN M on 04/12/13 at 06:28 PM ET

Has Jimmah’s contract been finalized? What are the terms?

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 04/12/13 at 05:30 PM ET

dougie's avatar

I haven’t been doing the LB much lately, due to said “negativity”. Yesterday, I was in a foul, dark mood, having everything to do with the joys of operating a small business, and nothing to do with hockey. The LB was awesome!!

I re-read my comments after the first period, and just stopped. Didn’t want to be that guy with nothing good to say aboot anything, or anybody.

I don’t really have a point here, so I’ll stop. Gotta go watch some hot girl on girl action.

Posted by dougie on 04/12/13 at 05:31 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Posted by DAN M on 04/12/13 at 06:28 PM ET

Has Jimmah’s contract been finalized? What are the terms?
Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from Warm and sunny SoCal on 04/12/13 at 06:30 PM ET

Dear Dan,
You’ve been lawyered.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 04/12/13 at 05:35 PM ET

Surfer Ken's avatar

Has the GM trade deadline passed?  Maybe we can trade Kenny for Stan and all that comes with him.

Posted by Surfer Ken from San Clemente on 04/12/13 at 05:36 PM ET

DAN M's avatar

I’m depressed too. This sucks. This team is my lifeblood. He likes where this team stands. We can’t touch chicago, sj, pekka rinne, and now apparenty minn, clbus and st louis too.

Posted by DAN M on 04/12/13 at 05:36 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from Warm and sunny SoCal on 04/12/13 at 05:15 PM ET

I accept that challenge Hope they’re up high enough.

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 04/12/13 at 05:42 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Speak for yourself whether you say the hunting isn’t so good these days. Its turkey killing time ‘round these parts. Gobble gobble boom… shooting them in the face bitches.
As far as the Wings go, I will keep my expectations realistic. A win would be huge but just might be a tall order given the all but suckitude over the last 7 or so games.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 04/12/13 at 05:42 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 04/12/13 at 06:42 PM ET

My wife just called yesterday and sent pictures of the turkeys on our front damn porch.  Dammit I cannot wait to get home.

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 04/12/13 at 05:43 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Seger will wake the Wings from their coma like he did this woman.

Bob Seger meets super fan to grant wish after she woke from 5-year coma

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 04/12/13 at 05:46 PM ET

DAN M's avatar

Someone took that picture just after someone told seger the wings wouldn’t be humiliated tonight.

Posted by DAN M on 04/12/13 at 05:55 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Oh barf, I just turned on “NHL Live,” and guess what I saw - Eddie IcePatch between the benches in Chicago - looking all rosey-cheeked and gearing up for the game tonight.  I’m listening to Ken and Paul.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 04/12/13 at 05:55 PM ET

DAN M's avatar

The hawks are the best team, the wings are dead as door nails, doc emrick is considered the voice of hockey. I am in hockey HELL.

Posted by DAN M on 04/12/13 at 05:57 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

The kiddo got his first this past weekend 42Jeff. Man I love the excitement/enthusiasm… wish I could put it in a bottle.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 04/12/13 at 05:57 PM ET

DAN M's avatar

Hey whatever happened to that idiot who used to write about the hawks here?  Did someone pee on his keyboard hopefully?

Posted by DAN M on 04/12/13 at 05:59 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

Screw hockey, real-life is making me happy:

Former defender of “Detroit”, Vladimir Konstantinov, who along with teammate Vyacheslav Fetisov and masseur Sergei Mnatsakanov in 1997 had an accident, continues to recover from serious injury.

Konstantinov now undergoing a rehabilitation center in Livonia. 3 or 5 days a week, he has been under the care of trainer Matt Drake and do special exercises.

Konstantinov condition improved markedly. He had begun to walk and perform daily chores yourself.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 04/12/13 at 06:07 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

say you sign him for only 3 years.  in those 3 years he plays very well, THEN how much are you going to have to pay him?  signing a goalie - a position of very limited availability - to a six year contract is not out of bounds.

if he doesn’t pan out in the six years, but is still decent, there will be plenty of teams who would take him off our hands - again, a position of very limited availability.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 04/12/13 at 06:08 PM ET