Abel to Yzerman

Only 47 Left…Let’s Live Blog Most Of Them

Saturday night? That was the first Lang fight.  The Stallion showed a glimpse of push-back the first twenty seconds and then he was overwhelmed by the sheer, animal strength of the hungry challenger.  Don't forget. Clubber Lang lived alone, trained alone, ate alone, washed alone, raised pigeons alone and said horrible things to Adrian at an event that was supposed to be Rocky's Big Day.

And then he laid waste to Balboa.  Demoralized him.

Unlike Rocky III, perhaps the greatest true story in modern boxing history, I have little hope of a miracle.

Holy hell.  It wasn't just a "fail to compete," or a lot of lost "puck battles".  There was no competition and there was no battle.  That Blues team is really good.  And our Wings team is really, really mediocre.  Slow. We looked plodding compared to Clubber Lang.

I offer you no hope for 12. Not now.  Not after that.  Mickey's dead.  Adrian's lost faith.  All is lost.

Appollo?  We need you.  And bring that fat drunk Paulie with you.

It's a Live Blog.  With BJs.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

1 2 3 >  Last ›      Next »

stonehands-78's avatar

Thanks, Chief;
just saw this on FB:

AWESOME NEWS: Todd Bertuzzi does NOT have mono! His original diagnosis was a false positive.

“He can play tomorrow if Mike Babcock wants him to, and he feels he’s able.” - Ken Holland

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 01/21/13 at 06:40 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Risin’ up, out on the street….

Improvise, overcome and adapt.. don’t be a bitch.

I’m gonna go jogging downtown before the game

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 01/21/13 at 06:42 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

dammit Chief why does this always happen, just posted but more appropriate on this thread:
————————-

Question for The 19,  Should I start drinking now, and if so, should I go straight to the hard stuff and not fill up on beer?  I was thinking something distilled grain that might make me unconscious by 7:30.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 01/21/13 at 05:40 PM ET

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 01/21/13 at 06:42 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

So, Bertuzzi is NOT lost for 1/3 of the season?

Those guys - Cleary, Beruzzi, Sameulsson, had better show something, and I mean be in a playoff position above .500, or they should be moved along the last month of the season so that the young forwards get a chance to show they can play in the NHL with impact or not.  If we are way out of the playoffs then that should happen sooner.

I’ve always liked Cleary’s grit, and we all need to remember he played all of last season with a knee so painful he had difficulty walking.  Why that was not operated on before last season is unknown.  Give Cleary time, but we don’t have years now, not with this roster.  If he’s healthy give him a chance to get to game speed and see if he can be a pest, finish checks, and score.

But the leash should be short on 35+ year olds, given the make up of this roster.

And find some way for Datsyuk and Zetterberg to play 28 minutes a night.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 01/21/13 at 06:49 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Evenin’ bitches. Can tonite be just as bad as the last outing?

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 01/21/13 at 06:50 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

“The test results were what, wrong?”

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 01/21/13 at 06:51 PM ET

Tony's avatar

And bring that fat drunk Paulie with you.

I know you said that with all due respect, Paulie being a Navy Chief and all…. wink

Posted by Tony from Virginia Beach, VA on 01/21/13 at 06:54 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Gee, I can’t wait to hear the NBCSN broadcast team again.  (Looking for barf bag.)

LET’S GO RED WINGS !!!!!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 01/21/13 at 06:55 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Thanks Chief!  I can’t do the live blog tonight.  Here’s hoping we right the ship tonight!

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 01/21/13 at 06:55 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

I’ll keep my answer brief.  Yes.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 01/21/13 at 06:55 PM ET

ChowYunCat's avatar

Thank god there’s a brewery a block away from my apartment.

Posted by ChowYunCat on 01/21/13 at 06:57 PM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

I know you said that with all due respect, Paulie being a Navy Chief and all….

Posted by Tony from Virginia Beach, VA on 01/21/13 at 05:54 PM ET

Exactly. And I know I pointed that out to you Tony so don’t try and act all Thespian Genius and shit.  Your avatar made me throw up in my mouth, by the way.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 01/21/13 at 06:57 PM ET

Tony's avatar

I’d have a great comeback for you if I knew what the hell a Thespian Genius was… wink

As for the avatar, well, you’re welcome…. wink

Posted by Tony from Virginia Beach, VA on 01/21/13 at 06:59 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Can tonite be just as bad as the last outing?

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 01/21/13 at 05:50 PM ET

Kate, you didn’t??

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 01/21/13 at 07:01 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Can tonite be just as bad as the last outing?

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 01/21/13 at 05:50 PM ET

Kate, you didn’t??

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 01/21/13 at 06:01 PM ET

Answer, it could be worse, because a similar showing against the Blue Jackets would reveal just how badly the team has disintegrated.

Not being able to connect passes against St Louis is familiar to all teams.  Not dominating the crap out of Columbus would be entirely different level of barf.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 01/21/13 at 07:13 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Evenin’ bitches. Can tonite be just as bad as the last outing?

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 01/21/13 at 05:50 PM ET

Geesus, Kate, thanks.

I was impressed with my ability to go into total denial since Saturday, to the point I started telling friends and family the St. Louis game didn’t really happen, it was all one, big collective illusion perpetrated by some strange laser out of Area 51.

sigh

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 01/21/13 at 07:17 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

It’s two games in, so normally it would be irrational to make a sweeping judgment; but it’s two games in to a very odd season, so rational thought be damned, there is no place for it here.

If the Wings look as bad against Clbs as they did Stl, this season is over, done. They will finish no higher than 25 out of 30 teams by the end of the season.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 01/21/13 at 07:20 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

I am, for the most part, always upbeat even after ugly sh!t happens. Thought I’d try a different approach.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 01/21/13 at 07:27 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

kate, i like you better when you’re upbeat
  grin

never, never, never give up

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 01/21/13 at 07:30 PM ET

TeamDub's avatar

Fun Fact - the Wings are the only team in the entire NHL that hasn’t scored at least one goal.

sweet.

Posted by TeamDub from The gratch. on 01/21/13 at 07:31 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

sweet.

Posted by TeamDub from The gratch. on 01/21/13 at 06:31 PM ET

Goals are so overrated

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 01/21/13 at 07:33 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Written last season.  Should we have expected any different kind of showing, remembering how the Wings looked with Lidstrom gone last season?  This could have been written Sunday morning.

Since the Red Wings captain sustained his bone bruise, nine games ago, the Red Wings have gone 3-5-1, the worst record of any team currently in the playoff picture.
As a result, the team has exhibited a flat, sometimes panicky, often erratic style of play for the better part of those nine Lidstrom-less games.

It’s not simply the loss of their captain and top defender that’s caused this, it is the loss of the team’s very identity.

At this point, the Detroit Red Wings don’t know how to be the Detroit Red Wings without Lidstrom.

They all knew that, someday, they’d have to figure out how to do this, but they were hoping that day wouldn’t be for a good, long while; they certainly didn’t expect that day to come as soon as it has.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 01/21/13 at 07:38 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Watching Blues / Preds roght now. Taresenko with 1goal and 1assist, fifteen minutes in.

Damn, this kid may be the real deal

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 01/21/13 at 07:40 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 01/21/13 at 06:20 PM ET

Me neither, normally.  Let us just consider that the Wings were just plain PHYSICALLY UNABLE to get in position to get a shot off against St Louis…. something like 3 scoring chances after 2 periods.  Combine that with disjointed defense, well…..

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 01/21/13 at 07:41 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Calm down man, I say to myself, a win tonight, any win, any how, and we’re in the thick of the playoff race!

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 01/21/13 at 07:42 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Damn, this kid may be the real deal

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 01/21/13 at 06:40 PM ET

They really struck gold, especially for a team that didn’t have much offensive punch, he can score quickly.  What a great complement to their defense oriented team.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 01/21/13 at 07:44 PM ET

calquake's avatar

I think he means Rachel Maddow. cheese

Posted by calquake on 01/21/13 at 07:45 PM ET

RorSchach's avatar

Where’s the Booze? Anyone have some to spare?

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 01/21/13 at 07:50 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

More than anyhting I just wantto see SOME kind of indication that they got the message that if they don’t pull their heads out, this is going to be a VERY short season.

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 01/21/13 at 07:50 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Posted by calquake on 01/21/13 at 06:45 PM ET

THESPian, Cal, THESPian.

Bottle of Sangria on tap for me tonight. Let’s see if we can blame Big E for all the things that go wrong tonight.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 01/21/13 at 07:52 PM ET

RorSchach's avatar

I still don’t know why we must waste roster spots on aging people.. and not use out farm. I say call em all up. Okay.. maybe not all. But Andersson, Sauce, Nyquil, Jurco, SuperDrunk, And Lashoff in for Q-man. God.. he sucks.

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 01/21/13 at 07:52 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

Where’s the Booze? Anyone have some to spare?

Hmmmm, trying to remember where I keep the spare booze.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 01/21/13 at 07:54 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

Thanks for the TPH nugget from last season RW. That abberation on Saturday night looked like my beer league team last summer. We finished 1-9 with a goal differential of -51.

Heard Pee-Air on xm radio this AM say the Wings are a class organ-i-zation who will right this ship quickly and not to panic. We shall see.

This game and the home opener will show what mettle this team has. I will be here regardless of the outcome.

Posted by cigar_nurse from Greenville South Cakalakee on 01/21/13 at 07:54 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Oh yeah, it’s good to be back in the bowels of the Chief’s dementia.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 01/21/13 at 07:56 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Hell, I’d be happy just to see some freaking effort, I was kinda expecting a long season anyway.

I certainly didn’t expect them to turtle.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 01/21/13 at 07:57 PM ET

RorSchach's avatar

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 01/21/13 at 06:54 PM ET

Psh.. I used to keep some stuff for buddies that don’t like what I have.. But sadly, after that major ass whopping on Saturday.. I drank all of mine.. and theirs.

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 01/21/13 at 07:57 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Oh great, and we get Cottonmouth Albert AND The Creeper. I hope there’s a decent color guy to make up for this.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 01/21/13 at 08:01 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Posted by cigar_nurse from Greenville South Cakalakee on 01/21/13 at 06:54 PM ET

God, Pierre.  Will we have to listen to him tonight????  Oh crap.  I’m getting the Ken Kal stream lined up on the computer.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 01/21/13 at 08:02 PM ET

Hockeytown Wax's avatar

hell yeah ... Big E out and Lashoff in for tonights game.
Pair him up with Smitty and let ‘er rip.

Posted by Hockeytown Wax from West Bloomfield, Mi. on 01/21/13 at 08:04 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

... I’m already soured on NBC’s crew, and it hasn’t even been 10 minutes yet.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 01/21/13 at 08:05 PM ET