Abel to Yzerman

One More Year For Sam Gagner In Detroit

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

Paul's avatar

$850K.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 09/26/20 at 12:41 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

At least its cheap

Posted by ilovehomers on 09/26/20 at 01:04 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

Well Gagner played 1/8th the amount of games with the Wings as Abdelkader and had more goals and 1/3rd as many points…so I guess this makes him our 2nd line center… hmmm

Posted by Down River Dan on 09/26/20 at 01:45 PM ET

Alan's avatar

I don’t mind this signing. He wasn’t dead weight in the short time we did get to see him play.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 09/26/20 at 02:11 PM ET

Paul's avatar

from Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press,

“I can bring some leadership and veteran experience,” Gagner said on a Zoom call Saturday. “I can play on the power play as a right shot. It was great talking to Steve through this process and I’m excited to get back and get going and show what I’m capable of as a player.”

Yzerman was not made available to media.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 09/26/20 at 02:50 PM ET

I like it.

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 09/26/20 at 04:37 PM ET

Paul's avatar

from Dana Wakiji of the Wings website,

“When I first got traded there, we had talked about the fact there was an opportunity to be part of things longer-term than just from the trade deadline on,” Gagner said. “For myself personally, I just wanted to put my best foot forward and give everything I had in the short time I was there. I thought I played well, I thought I played hard. It’s a good group of guys in a tough circumstance.

“I think for everybody, it’s going to be a nice reset, the long offseason, for us to come back refreshed and ready to go. I was happy when talks picked up over the last week or so. Obviously really excited to get back there and get going. It’s a storied franchise with a lot of history and something I’m happy to be a part of.”

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 09/26/20 at 05:21 PM ET

Well the Wings desperately needed some skill at
center and there are almost no right shots at forward
(just Glendening?)

This doesn’t commit the Wings to much or certainly
take up cap space that could go to taking bloated contracts
from other teams.

For one year it doesn’t hurt. I just don’t see Rasmussen let alone
Veleno being ready to play center.

Posted by lefty.30 on 09/26/20 at 08:18 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Speaking of center, Yzerman said in the Staal conference call they would try Fabbri at center sometime in the season.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 09/26/20 at 08:21 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

I agree. The little I saw Gagner play, he was creative. smile

Posted by bigfrog on 09/26/20 at 09:25 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

I guess no rookie will have a shot to make the squad, and it sounds like Evgeny Svechnikov will be a 4th liner fighting for a lineup spot each night, hmm ok.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerHolland2.0's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 09/28/20 at 09:03 AM ET