Abel to Yzerman

On banners and a very brief update from the Red Wings’ prospects’ morning skate

Well, now.  Three KK readers have offered up a superb slate of banners for the Malik Report, and I’m not quite sure which one’s the coolest, so please take a look at the following images and let me know what you think:

The first comes from Craig Wicks:

The second comes from Clark Rasmussen of DetroitHockey.net:

And the third comes from Jenn “Jenemy of the Skate” Schwab:

Which one do you like the best?    Please leave your comments below, send me an email at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) or fire me a Tweet.

Regarding the Wings’ prospects: The Red Wings took to the ice at 11:29 AM and were off a little more than 35 minute later, with the exception of Jordan Pearce, Thomas McCollum, and a few other prospects who took shots at the north net—as did McCollum on Pearce (kick save!) and Pearce on McCollum (blockered away!).  Curt Fraser put the prospects through an incredibly high-paced practice focusing upon what have now become the basics—rushing the puck up ice in odd-man situations, with two defensemen firing pucks toward two forwards at the far blueline, who then attack the defensemen with a forward standing at centre ice folding into the drill; puck retrieval, where either the goalie or a defenseman either “wheels” the puck around the boards to a defender as forwards swivel toward the net, or “reverses” the puck by going against the grain; that odd, odd drill where the forwards have to essentially rotate through a full circle’s revolution, with the forward who initiates play, this time halfway between the boards and goalpost on the red line, has to eventually swivel toward the net and screen a goaltender after first skating out toward the half boards parallel to the faceoff circle, then slide toward the slot and ultimately end up at the net, with each forward touch-passing the puck as they swivel; and more “basic” three-on-twos or two-on-ones took place where a classic Red Wings rule was in play—the forwards or defensemen had to make at least three passes before firing the puck at the net.  The four centers also did faceoff drills where the one of the players hesitantly dropped the puck with his bare hand, hoping to not get it hacked off, and I can tell you this much: Brent Raedeke and Landon Ferraro turn their bottom hands over and attempt to sweep the puck back, while Louis-Marc Aubry and Joakim Andersson use their tremendous size to pull the puck diagonally to their forehand or backhand, with their sticks almost perpendicular to the faceoff circle

Tonight’s probable lineup looks like it’s going to shake out thusly, though it could change:

Forwards:

Andrej Nestrasil-Joakim Andersson-Mitchell Callahan

Tomas Tatar-Landon Ferraro-Trevor Parkes

Darren Archibald-Louis-Marc Aubry-Brooks Macek

Stephen Johnston-Brent Raedeke-Mitchell Callahan

Defensemen:

Brendan Smith-Travis Ehrhardt

Brian Lashoff-Gleason Fournier

Alex Cord-Brenden Kitchton

Probable starting goalie: Petr Mrazek, who was first off the ice

Fraser was quite vocal today as this practice was classically “game-day short” with a chance at winning the tournament on the line tonight vs. the St. Louis Blues—assuming that the Minnesota Wild lose to the New York Rangers—telling the defenders to hustle up the ice, and, I quote, “You’ve got a game to play later today, get into the game, move the hell up!”  Fraser and Paek were also the only coaches on the ice; Keith McKittrick, Jiri Fischer and Chris Chelios were conspicuously absent, as were any of the Wings’ scouts or management, capologist Ryan Martin excluded.

Individually speaking, I noticed that Mrazek makes most of his stand-up and butterfly saves with his knees or tightly-strapped thigh rises (he wears a “Turco Break”-style set of Reebok leg pads); Marc Zanetti continues to put in a very solid showing playing as a speedy offensive defenseman; Antonin Honejsek is just beginning to establish some sort of comfort level while offering solid playmaking skills and decent speed, and if there ever was a player who engages in practices like he knows he’s prepared to play, and win, in clutch situations, it’s Tomas Tatar, who hammed it up after every goal and goofed around at the right moments to break up a little bit of tension now and then via showboating.  Given how hard he works on and off the ice, he’s earned the right to play Mr. Comic Relief every once in a while.

In terms of my own little “journey,” I’m learning the hard way that if I want to interview players, I have to be a much bigger jerk than I am in real life.  I see tired, dehydrated, sweaty hockey players walking by to get a Gatorade or a bottle of water, take a post-practice or post-game bike ride or plain old hustle by to speak to somebody, averting their eyes as is the hockey player’s custom when someone with a sound recorder is present, and I think, “I really shouldn’t bother him.”  Sometimes you have to bother people to get a quote out of them, regrettably, and it makes me incredibly uncomfortable doing so.

So I asked McCollum and Smith about their relationship with the media, and whether we really are the last people they want to see when they need to get hydrated, take a bike ride, shower, or plain old get the hell out of the rink.  Thomas suggested that it’s more a personality thing than anything else, that people like himself and Brendan Smith don’t mind talking to the media, but others might be a bit more shy or approach things differently; Smith suggested that the Red Wings’ players, like Nicklas Lidstrom, are the ones who set an example for younger players, and that while yes, they do want to just get on with their post-game routine, talking to “us” is part of the bargain.  When I asked him whether it mattered that I had sympathy for the fact that we’re imposing on their territory and want to get on with their post-game routines, he said that yes, it does matter when somebody is polite and asks you a few questions before letting you go on your way, and I broached what I thought was a touchy subject in asking him whether it mattered that I was a Wings fan, and that when I wasn’t wearing my dress shirt, holding a sound recorder and being a pain in the ass, that I rooted for them.

At least from Brendan’s perspective—and as he’s probably the most outgoing player there, I can’t say whether he speaks for the team—he suggested that he’d rather speak to someone who’s cheering them on.  So I’ll take that feather and put it in my goatee.

Tonight’s game is big and the house will be packed.  I’m heading to the rink after a very short nap and will update as phone service is available (this is not Sprint Country).  Cross your fingers, folks, because the Wings haven’t won this tournament 13 years in, and they need a little help from the hockey gods and a big win tonight to do so.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous        < 1 2

Nathan's avatar

#3, but you are a Wings fan, so it really should say “biased.” Obviously the 19 of us will not read your blog if you even attempt to be unbiased. smile

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 09/14/10 at 07:28 PM ET

HockeyTownTodd's avatar

I still prefer the original #3.  Font and font sizing, placement are perfect.  Thinking maybe the subtext belongs more on the sidebar, with a pic or avatar replacing it in the banner.

Posted by HockeyTownTodd on 09/14/10 at 07:42 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

OMFG, LM MF AO !!  I SO miss the Cold War!  The Russian star and font just brings back warm fuzzies.

I believe I was thinking of DetroitHockey’s latest, up 3 or 4 posts from this one, except if you use any quote then “BIASED” should probably replace UNbiased.

If you use a quote I would drop the “verbose” so it would read:

The Malik Report - Biased and Unprofessional

Well, come to think of it, we’ve already got A2Y that meets that criteria.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 09/14/10 at 07:52 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

I don’t hate it.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 09/14/10 at 08:00 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

I like the looks of #3.

However the tinfoil someone suggested earlier sparked a thought.

How about #3 with a picture of George in a tinfoil hat ala the Herm to Hockeytown look ???

Posted by Down River Dan on 09/14/10 at 08:38 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

Perfect!!!

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 09/14/10 at 09:45 PM ET

Original # 3 for me…  though I would agree to dropping the “un” from unbiased.  smile

Posted by BobTheZee on 09/14/10 at 09:50 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

# 3 for me with biased and redolent on the side.

Condolences to Herm. Your family is also ours in times of both joy or sorrrow.

Posted by cigar_nurse from Greenville South Cakalakee on 09/14/10 at 10:30 PM ET

jennyquarx's avatar

I like them all but original #3 is my favorite.  I do really dig the non tin foil revised one with the new font that Jenn did too.

Posted by jennyquarx on 09/14/10 at 10:35 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

First of all, my favorite is the original #3.

Second, thanks for the sympathy on the last thread. Things are very shitty right now and we don’t know if my grandpa is looking strong because he’s strong, or to hide emotions or if just hasn’t kicked in yet. Anyway, thank you, 19, you’re the best.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 09/14/10 at 10:36 PM ET

aaron in phoenix's avatar

I don’t have that Red Wings font (what’s the name of it?), but here it is on Howards pads.

Posted by aaron in phoenix from Section 102 on 09/14/10 at 10:41 PM ET

Osrt's avatar

Soviet font on this:

Or, tagline added to this:

Thanks for the updates George. Tatar is becoming a favorite, quickly. I’m glad you got some honest answers from McCollum and Smith.

(Condolences to you and your family Herm)

Posted by Osrt on 09/14/10 at 10:46 PM ET

FranzensMouthguard's avatar

3. and any offshoot of it.

Posted by FranzensMouthguard from Chicago, IL on 09/14/10 at 10:49 PM ET

wedge56's avatar

I commend everyone’s work on the banners.  I am envious of your skills.  I like the original number 3.  I would rather keep the original font and the U,U, and V tagline.  I think switching to the Wings font, keeping that background, AND keeping the tagline would make it too, busy.  FWiW.

Still doing a great job, George.  I check in several times per day to see if there are any updates.  How is your food budget holding out?

Posted by wedge56 on 09/14/10 at 10:55 PM ET

hiero4life's avatar

I like #3.

Posted by hiero4life from anywhere i am on 09/14/10 at 10:56 PM ET

Pharazon's avatar

#1 for me..

i love Tatar as well..

he scored the winner tonight late in the 3rd.. wings to the final

Posted by Pharazon from England on 09/14/10 at 11:27 PM ET

TheFreak's avatar

Nice work!

I am late to the game so - taking inspiration from the above examples, here’s my take:

Posted by TheFreak on 09/14/10 at 11:34 PM ET

HockeyTownTodd's avatar

Posted by Guilherme

My condolences, Herm,
spend as much time as you can with your grandpa, if he doesn’t want to talk…
don’t push it, just make it quiet time….but be there for him.

Posted by HockeyTownTodd on 09/14/10 at 11:40 PM ET

HockeyTownTodd's avatar

Good piece on Salei (from Twitter)
I am looking forward to some Vladinator hockey.

Posted by HockeyTownTodd on 09/14/10 at 11:58 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Herm, just hang in there and like HTT says, be there.  You don’t necessarily need to talk to say what you need to say.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 09/15/10 at 12:52 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

For the record, I do love the Soviet font.  In post-Soviet Russia, Twitter follows you!

HA!

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 09/15/10 at 12:57 AM ET

Rdwings28's avatar

Tag Line suggestion   “Unbiased Unprofessional Redolent Verbosity”

Posted by Rdwings28 on 09/15/10 at 07:42 AM ET

Rdwings28's avatar

How long has it been since we had two Ruskies on the team??

Posted by Rdwings28 on 09/15/10 at 07:45 AM ET

Forlorn in VA's avatar

I can’t pick a favorite, as I like almost all of them equally.  Can’t you rotate through them all weekly?

Herm, I am so sorry for your loss.

Posted by Forlorn in VA on 09/15/10 at 07:48 AM ET

I like the nameplate design of #1.

Posted by Them Bones on 09/15/10 at 10:43 AM ET

MarkK's avatar

If you go with the Soviet font, then a more statist name of the blog would be awesome.  “The Malikist Education”... where blog reads YOU

Posted by MarkK from Maryland on 09/15/10 at 11:34 AM ET

drimo's avatar

#3

Posted by drimo from Cincinnati, OH on 09/15/10 at 11:44 AM ET

I like the third the best, George.

Regarding the prospects camp post-practice interviews, I think you’re the doing the right thing:  you’re carefully broaching them in a respectful manner.  As has been told to Uncle Mike - “build relationships.”  Brendan Smith just might be a first step.  You’re doing something remarkable here.

Never heard of Mrazek but I’m beginning to like this kid.

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 09/15/10 at 12:49 PM ET

Wings_Fan_In_KC's avatar

“Unbiased Unprofessional Redolent Verbosity”

Yessssssssssssssss.

Posted by Wings_Fan_In_KC from ...somewhere southwest of The Motor City... on 09/16/10 at 10:43 AM ET

Little Redhead's avatar