Abel to Yzerman

Off-Spinning And Doosras With Off-Putting Cap-A-Doodle-Doos

Many big things have happened the past week and a bit.  Let’s get straight to the chase, bitches, grab a drink because here we go.

If you haven’t been checking out our friend Animal Drew at Nightmare On Helm Street this summer, shame on you.  Not only has he been keeping us updated on important Wings developments on the Gore, more on that later, but he’s also been hard at work kicking sand in the faces of Junior’s bandwagon.

In an epic, and wonderfully sadistic, series of summer posts he’s been detailing the roster demolition in Chicago.  The culmination of his work is this post describing the “Fire Sale” in Chicago.

My highlight?  This wrap-up:

To bring our total net difference in points for Chicago at -134 points.

Epic stuff.  Remember when people in Chicago laughed at us when they “stole” Kopecky?  Now he is Junior’s saviour.  Laugh hard at your belly on this one, and it is not even over.  The Emperor offers us this story:

If the arbitrator decides Niemi’s worth much more than $3 million a year, Bowman may have no choice but to walk away from the decision…

There are rumors the ‘Hawks will accept the decision and then try and trade Niemi so they don’t end up losing a top asset without getting anything back in return… any team dealing with the Blackhawks… will know they’ve got the team over a barrel and will be offering little in return.

Game, set, match, bandwagon.  We’ll be hearing from them in another 40 years.

Then a few things got me thinking, and I wasn’t so gleeful anymore.  Not surprisingly, it started with something showoff blogger, George Malik, posted last week:

Subjective fans like me don’t give a rat’s arse as to whether these “lifetime contracts” allow big-market teams to supposedly gain an unfair advantage on their smaller-market bretheren… Devellano points out that Red Wings GM Ken Holland did not break any rules when he signed Henrik Zetterberg and Johan Franzen to 12 and 10-year contracts, respectively, and Devellano had a similar reaction to the one that most Wings fans did when they found out that the team would keep Henrik Zetterberg in red and white for the rest of his career:

“I gave [Holland] a big hug.”

Malik continues:

Fans have every right to want names and faces to invest in emotionally and to invest in via their merchandise and ticket-purchasing bucks, faces that they know will remain with their favorite team for the long haul, and in that respect, that’s where Gary Bettman and the NHL got their concept of roster-destabilizing parity and a CBA which forces even the best-managed teams to place key contributors’ customized jerseys on the clearance rack on a daily basis.  It doesn’t build the brand on a market-by-market basis, and it doesn’t “sell” the dedicated one-team fan on sacrificing roster continuity and winning bang for their buck for the sake of the “good of the game.”

To hell with that.  I want my Red Wings to win, and I want my Red Wings to not turn over their entire roster every three years.

Hell yes.  George is 100% right.  Fans don’t care how it is done, all we care is that the guys we love to watch play on our team stay if they want to.  But Li’l Gary doesn’t care about the fans.  Which is why he loves the salary cap.

Imagine for a minute we were in Chicago’s position in the mid-90’s.  After more than four decades of suckage, we finally get a taste of victory, and our team is snatched from us immediately afterwards.  It sucks.  Which is just how Li’l Gary wants it.

One of sports’ great athletes retired this week.  Muttiah Muralitharan was arguably the best cricket bowler in history.  His stats certainly put him at the top of the list.  In North America, we’ve heard nothing about his retirement, but trust me when I say the man was fearsome to face.  With marathon endurance (matches can take 5 days to complete in cricket), Muralitharin was constantly on the attack, and recorded the most wickets (like a strikeout) in the sport’s history.

The most interesting thing about Murali’s incredible career is not his stats nor his accomplishments, but rather that he spent most of it under a dark cloud of controversy.  Muralitharin was born with near inhuman flexibility in his wrist, which was the cause of his devastating delivery while bowling.  Despite years of success, Murali was constantly being accused of having an illegal delivery for an off-spinning wrist bowler.

It got so bad, eventually scientists at the University of Western Australia studied his delivery under laboratory conditions and determined… Muralitharin’s delivery exceeded the allowable elbow extension of 5°.  End of story?  Science wins the day?  Not quite.

Controversy ensued, and Muralitharin’s delivery was subjected to a total of four scientific studies.  Eventually it was determined that not only was his delivery legal, but most spinning bowlers exceeded the allowable elbow extension of 5°, prompting the rules of cricket to be changed to allow up to 15° of extension.

The moral of this story?  Allowing ANALysis of this kind in any sport, be it for delivery of balls or salary-cap technicalities, ruins the sport as it was intended to be played; on the playing field and not in the courtrooms.  Once again, Li’l Gary’s legal proceedings (Kovalchuk) will be center-stage over the summer ruining any NHL coverage for all of us.  Thanks, Gary.  Ass.

One last thing before I disappear again.  Animal Drew at NOHS was good enough to tell us about a major retirement in the Wings’ blogosphere.  Chris Hollis of Motown Wings has announced his retirement.  Known for his blogging, podcasting on The Obstructed View, and having a bitching beard, Hollis will be missed by Wings fans everywhere on the Gore.  Good luck, Hollis, keep in touch.

In other news, Tyler from The Triple Deke visited Canada recently.  Having never seen The Godfather, Tyler was not aware the significance this package sent to him from Maple Leafs fans had:

image

That’s right, bitches, Triple Deke Tyler sleeps with the fishes.  Blame Canada.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

1 2 >       Next »

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Triple Deke Tyler sleeps with the fishes.

Yeah, but he always has consent.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/30/10 at 09:35 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Unfortunately, a bandwagon fan’s money is just as good as a dedicated one-team fan’s cash and it’s slightly easier to get your hands on.  The Blackhawks’ bandwagon may take a hit this season when the knuckle-draggers realize that this year’s squad is a shell of last year’s, but by then it will be too late.  Instead, the next boutique large market that Gary wants to sucker in with their “it’s our turn this year” bullshit gets lured in. The Kings aren’t in cap trouble yet, but let’s see what moves they make to become the next one-year wonder during the 2011 offseason.

That’s why parity only exists in the large markets and only the best-run of the little guys sniff the playoffs.

But hey, don’t forget the Hawks are raising season ticket prices because they lost money last year thanks to the unfair system that forces them to share revenues with the struggling teams.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/30/10 at 09:48 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/30/10 at 08:48 PM ET

Yeah. I just heard on XM radio that the Hawks will have to have 4 more similar seasons to this year just to break even after old man Wilie Wurtz ran the team into the ground for the last decade.Revenue sharing with the bottom feeders bah.Let em sink and move to some cities which will support them through good and bad like Winipeg or Quebec City.
I agree with ya RB on a winter game to be the week before the super bowl.That would be a great week to market the game on non olympic years.

Posted by cigar_nurse from Greenville South Cakalakee on 07/30/10 at 10:10 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

Cricket? Cricket? Eh, okay.

So, good wrap up, and nice to see the ‘Hawks going down the drain like we all knew it would happened, even the main writers who kept their mouths shut throughout the season.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 07/30/10 at 10:12 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

It’s horseshit though.  I won’t say I feel badly for any Chicago fan who actually believes this tripe, but at some point, watching a puppy run its head into a wall stops being cute and starts being piteous.

The Hawks claimed a $20M operating profit in 2009, according to Forbes, and now they say they’re losing money on the premise that they had to borrow from their parent company, but don’t release their books.  It’s absolute horseshit that makes me incredibly glad I’m not a fan of that busted-ass organization.

It’s nothing but a smokescreen for raising ticket prices.  The Wings are raising their prices too, but they’re not lying to the fans and crying that they’ll all be eating Alpo because they had to borrow money (from themselves) to make their payroll.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/30/10 at 10:20 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/30/10 at 08:48 PM ET

My son brought that up this morning. It’s Chicago. Business as usual.

They lost money. No. Really. Laughing all the way to the bank.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 07/30/10 at 10:52 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

That’s right, bitches, Triple Deke Tyler sleeps with the fishes.  Blame Canada.

Gimme that fish.

Hey bartender, a nice tall glass of cool water is what is indicated. I’ve been very busy but loving every moment with my sweet little Grandson. It’s truly heaven.

He’s getting ready for his first season as a Red Wing fan. I’m so excited.

Nice to see you getting back in game shape VooX.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 07/30/10 at 11:07 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

That’s right, bitches, Triple Deke Tyler sleeps with the fishes.

Canis lupus, right Ms B? Aka water wolf. Well done Tyler.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 07/30/10 at 11:12 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

‘Lil Bro with the one song dance and now no more quarters for the juke box, eh?

Thanks for the call-out on Hollis, VooX. Gonna miss his prose. He did us all well on helping lead the parade for Herm-2-Hockeytown. A real trooper.

And the “hits” just keep coming for the Tigers.

(Is it October yet?)

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 07/30/10 at 11:23 PM ET

Kudos, Voox… cricket on a hockey blog? As an Australian ex-pat living in the US, love it. Just to fuel the conspiratorial fire that can only be retarded by a properly worn tin-foil hat, though, Murali’s action was actually measured at 14 degrees of extension when he bowled his most questionable delivery, the doosra. Which, as Voox correctly points out, was 1 degree less than the arbitrary maximum sanctioned only after he, the guy shattering all bowling records in cricket, was tested… hmm.

Murali was actually subjected to most derision for his bowling action in Australia (this was, of course, an important enough issue to all Australians that even our Prime Minister at that time called him a “chucker” who should be kicked out of the game) . Be kind, Australia doesn’t get out much, you know. :p

But this was mostly because Murali’s main spin bowling rival was an Aussie called Shane Warne - a true legend, on and off the field. Boozy, bawdy and bloody good… do yourself a favor and google “Shane Warne” and any combination of “sex scandal”, or “stole a child’s cell phone in New Zealand after being photographed smoking after accepting lucrative deal with Nicorette to quit said smoking” or even “failed a drug test after taking a diuretic his mother gave him because he wanted to look good in a TV interview, and then blamed said mother for giving him a chemical on the IOC banned substances list”.

Enough. By way of disclaimer, I’m an Australian who’d never seen a hockey game before emigrating to New York for work in 2001, quickly became a staple at the NY-NJ area hockey arenas, married a NY lawyer in 2007, and moved to Nashville in 2008. So naturally I’m a huge fan of…. the Penguins. Figure that one out - my wife, whom I dragged to Detroit in 2009 for Game 7, certainly can’t.

But I at least fit in here in one way (and, seriously, I do enjoy the quality of writing here). At that Game 7, a Wings fan tried to be a smart-arse by handing me a picture of Crosby with the obligatory pacifier and tears when I sat down next to him in my early 90s Lemieux jersey. Totally disarmed him by agreeing with him and saying that I also thought Crosby was a whiny little bitch. Of course, this was also a fan who needed to be informed by an Australian Penguins fan, no less, that Steve Yzerman was sitting TWO ROWS BEHIND US in his box…..... jeez.

Posted by nashwillo on 07/31/10 at 12:59 AM ET

Twig in Houston's avatar

nice pike.

Posted by Twig in Houston from Houston, TX on 07/31/10 at 02:46 AM ET

Nate A's avatar

nice pike.

In Detroit it’s Pickerel. It’s wrong, but that’s what it is. Walleye too.

Still, nice catch. Gotta love a fish that’s genetically pissed-off.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 07/31/10 at 03:14 AM ET

FranzensMouthguard's avatar

I met and talked to chelios outside hi tops in chicago tonight, some observations;

1, He’s a lot shorter than I thought

2. Nice guy, forgot his son played for MSU

3. He’s a player

Posted by FranzensMouthguard from Chicago, IL on 07/31/10 at 03:17 AM ET

Triple Deke Tyler's avatar

If you told me three years ago that I would catch a Pike in Canada and it would appear on a popular Red Wings blog ...... I never know how to finish these things. I’d call you an ass hole, or whatever I say.

Posted by Triple Deke Tyler from Lansing on 07/31/10 at 04:35 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

What Tyler said, except for the catching fish part.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 07/31/10 at 05:50 AM ET

Baroque's avatar

Northern pike, Esox lucius.

Muskellunge, Esox masquinongy.

Could be either. Not sure of the field marks, my ichthyology class was ages ago.

Posted by Baroque from Michigan on 07/31/10 at 08:06 AM ET

Osrt's avatar

Posted by nashwillo

That’s quite the bizzarre lineage of fandom. Welcome.

What Tyler said, except for the catching fish part.

Posted by George James Malik

Fish? I thought that was his date.

Posted by Osrt on 07/31/10 at 08:11 AM ET

Rdwings28's avatar

It’s a blow up fish from the novelty store

Posted by Rdwings28 on 07/31/10 at 08:38 AM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Fish? I thought that was his date.
Posted by Osrt on 07/31/10 at 07:11 AM ET

The smell gives it away.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 07/31/10 at 09:46 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

That fish would desperately like Tyler to turn the page on the Business Weekly section.  He wants to know how his Berkshire Hathaway stocks are doing, since he doesn’t get updates very often.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/31/10 at 10:26 AM ET

ITDeuce's avatar

So how fun was it to clean that pike Tyler?  Those Y bones suck ass.

Posted by ITDeuce from The Sunny High Desert on 07/31/10 at 11:52 AM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

Not sure of the field marks, my ichthyology class was ages ago.

my itchy, uh ichtchthy, uh, ichthee, uh fish class was….never.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 07/31/10 at 12:18 PM ET

Triple Deke Tyler's avatar

So how fun was it to clean that pike Tyler?  Those Y bones suck ass.

I went with my girlfriend’s family, and her dad is a fuggin’ surgeon when cutting fish. So I just kicked back and read the Business Weekly section.

Posted by Triple Deke Tyler from Lansing on 07/31/10 at 12:30 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

her dad is a fuggin’ surgeon when cutting fish.

One might say…

[sunglasses]

He’s a real surgeon with a sturgeon.

YEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!

*goes to sit in the corner*

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/31/10 at 12:32 PM ET

Behind_Enemy_Lines's avatar

then…

I sat down next to him in my early 90s Lemieux jersey.

I see what you did there.

Posted by Behind_Enemy_Lines from Evanston,IL on 07/31/10 at 12:45 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

Fishing is one or the things I miss most living in the mitten. Nothing but stupid bass and catfish in northwest SC. I would spend most of Sept and Oct on the Oqucioc or Boyne rivers letting the salmon drag me 50 -100 yards downstream. What great times. Need to do that again one of these years.

Posted by cigar_nurse from Greenville South Cakalakee on 07/31/10 at 12:54 PM ET

dougie's avatar

Cricket? I had chocolate covered crickets once, and they were OK. I have baited fishhooks with them….Ok ,Ok…. I’ll stop. Admittedly, I’m not at my multi-cultural acceptance high-water mark, after having had soccer crammed down my throat for 30 days.

I anxiously await your thoughtful analysis of left-handed lesbian sailboat racing. wink

And on a hockey note, I was surprised and a bit disappointed that the Red Wings didn’t make this list. But whaddaya expect, it a Sports Illustrated link.

Posted by dougie on 07/31/10 at 02:39 PM ET

AndrewFromAnnArbor's avatar

That’s right, bitches, Triple Deke Tyler sleeps with the fishes.

Mmm, pike.  Smokes up real nice.

Muttiah Muralitharan was arguably the best cricket bowler in history.

I’m sorry, what?  Can you repeat that?  I wasn’t paying attention as I was just watching Shane Warne destroy all who came before him.

Crick-et tu, VooX?

“The English are not very spiritual people, so they invented cricket to give them some idea of eternity.”

-George Bernard Shaw

My son brought that up this morning. It’s Chicago. Business as usual.

Rod Blagojevich calling collect, Kate.  Do you want to accept the charges?

Northern pike, Esox lucius.

Muskellunge, Esox masquinongy.

Too small to be a muskie.  Learned that from my amateur-taxerdermist foster grandfather (long story).

Posted by AndrewFromAnnArbor from Fortress Europe on 07/31/10 at 03:14 PM ET

AndrewFromAnnArbor's avatar

Posted by nashwillo on 07/30/10 at 11:59 PM ET

And lest you think my endorsement of Warne as the best bowler in history is some tacit approval of Antipodeans…f*ck Kylie and Jason.

And Waltzing Matilda is about shagging a mattress.

Seriously, welcome dude.  Get some goddamn VB into these Bud-swillin’ Yanks.

Posted by AndrewFromAnnArbor from Fortress Europe on 07/31/10 at 03:16 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

At last, what an epic thread inspired by v00x (w00t!) HOF material.
The genius in the A2Y is humbling.

Australia is freaking awesome.

Or so it seemed to me when I visited under the circumstances.  I was a military advisor in Kuwait before anyone heard of it, 6 years before the FIRST Gulf War.  A freaking hostile blistering climate 8 months of the year with daily temps at 113-118 F.  At those temps the air rises from the 1,000 miles of desert stretching from Jordan in the west to Kuwait and Iraq at the northern end of the Persian Gulf (they call it Arabian Gulf, cuz Arabs and Persians (Iranians) are distinctly different, don’t trust each other and not sponge-worthy), lifting with such force that actual bits of sand rise in the air to 1,000 feet and sweep westward over Kuwait, masking the fuzzy sun in a gray-amber haze and dropping dust and grit into every possible nook and cranny of your house and body.  Away from Kuwait City in the desert itself the wind delivers sand forcefully against any bare skin, resembling someone poking you with a needle up and down your arm and neck in 100 places at once.  Hopefully you have goggles otherwise you turn and cower to keep the 30 mile an hour sand from peppering your eyeballs. It hurts.

The abrasion and friction of the dry wind and sand on cars not only scrapes the paint off, it creates an electron imbalance such that the static electricity jumps an incredible 2 inches to the metal key, which if not insulated by clothing or a non-conductor causes one to screech in pain from the shock, worse than the dry cold in a Michigan winter.

There are many other culture shocks for an American Mid-Westerner in Kuwait that I won’t describe, but part of the contract between governments was that Kuwait paid for one R&R trip from Kuwait to London first class on Kuwait Airlines.  If you went in and talked to this one guy at Kuwait Airlines he would rework the value of your first class ticket to some other destination, as long as some of the trip was on Kuwait Airlines.

I managed to rework the value of my ticket for a round trip to Australia, into Sydney and out 10 days later from Melbourne.  Now, Australia is not close to Kuwait and those were two long ass trips, especially way deep south into the southern hemisphere.

So, against that backdrop of an Islamic State in a brutal climate, visiting a mild, cultured (an insult to any worthy Aussie) Australia was a godsend.  By sheer luck, I arrived in Sydney just before Australia Day.  After 3 or 4 nights in Sydney’s King’s Cross area, where I met more American Gays than I ever did in the US, I drove north along the coast and then inland, staying at small town motels and eating Vegemite on toast and dry bacon for breakfast with tea delivered through a slot in the door like being in prison.  I took a train from Sydney inland to Canberra, where I listened to two young Aussies complain that Yanks were beginning to visit Papua New Guinea and drive up the prices, then rented another car and drove to Melbourne in a deliberately lengthy and indirect course.  (Aussies reluctantly accept their two closest friends, the Limey Bastards and the Damn Yanks)

It was on this leg that I encountered a cricket match on radio,  the only event I could pick up for much of the trip, broadcast on the only stations I could pick up as I drove hundreds of miles.  It stayed with me for hours and hours as I drove through rural Australia and towns with names like “Dog on Tuckerbox”, which was short for “And the dog sat on the Tuckerbox”.

Cricket was covered in the English language papers in Kuwait so I was somewhat familiar with it, and learned about the game a good deal that I have since forgotten.

The best description of what I experienced is brilliantly and hilariously captured by author Bill Bryson in his book ” In a Sunburned Country “.  His experience with the only thing on radio being a cricket match was so close to home I split a gut laughing.  Cricket on radio makes American baseball seem intense!

Anyway, the small towns in Australia are awesome, they make milk shakes with real ice cream and milk and fruits, not a McDonald’s cheap blend of ice chips with syrup.

Advance Australia!

I hope I am lucky enough to return someday;  A warmer, friendlier, life-loving people you’ll never meet.  Have A Go!

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 07/31/10 at 03:25 PM ET

Baroque's avatar

Size isn’t a valid field mark - too much depends on the lake ecology, prey base, population size, and water temperature. I’ve seen Northern pike way larger than stunted muskie.

Posted by Baroque from Michigan on 07/31/10 at 03:33 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

sweep westward over Kuwait

sweep eastward toward Kuwait actually.  It’s like a sand blast.

The length of my posts is embarrassing, meant to welcome nashwillo.  epic.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 07/31/10 at 03:39 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Posted by Baroque from Michigan on 07/31/10 at 02:33 PM ET

Boy it’s nice to have some education injected into the blog now and then.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 07/31/10 at 03:49 PM ET

Twig in Houston's avatar

it’s a pike (pickeral if you must).

the color of a pike is more green where a muskie would be silver. also, the markings are horizontal. a muskies markings are vertical.

Posted by Twig in Houston from Houston, TX on 07/31/10 at 04:20 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

... and while we’re talking crickets, fish, Aussies and sand storms, ...

can someone:
1) name any other “sport” with an animal name?
b) list and describe all the North American “pan fish” species?
III) answer whether any non-venomous arachnids exist ‘down under’?
four) share the greatest recorded temperature range in any “desert” area during a 24-hour period (i.e. night vs. day)?

AND,
Bonus Question - Is it October yet?

//sigh//

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 07/31/10 at 04:43 PM ET

AndrewFromAnnArbor's avatar

The genius in the A2Y is humbling.

Without gushing too much Bill, that tale was frankly humbling.  Pretty damn cool—don’t worry about rambling.  And of course it may have been a jaunt to you, but you were serving our country—that shouldn’t be forgotten.

it’s a pike (pickeral if you must).

Whatever—it’s a fish.  You eat it.  That’s the extent of my fishing knowledge, the rest is dust (just ask my father-in-law).

Side note, I used to go swimming in Pickerel Lake, from when I first dipped my toes in as a three year-old, to the last time I went nightswimming with friends during a visit home in 2007.

1) name any other “sport” with an animal name?

Closest I can come up with on short notice:

And I play rugby union, and a couple of our players are prostitutes, if you wanna figure that one out.  Baroque is going to give you hell for calling a cricket an animal, too.

Oh, and VooX, he’s not strictly a spin bowler, but you didn’t qualify your assertion of Muttiah Muralitharan being the best cricket bowler in history, and neither is he retired like Warne, but Shoaib Akhtar, nicknamed The Rawalpindi Express, probably deserves a mention in that sentence.  He definitely took a page out of Shane Warne’s book on partying and pimping, however.

Posted by AndrewFromAnnArbor from Fortress Europe on 07/31/10 at 05:03 PM ET

Baroque's avatar

Pickerel is the common name for Esox niger, grass pickerel is Esox americanus.

The common names are unfortunately used interchangeably and for various species depending on region, which is why fish in general (including the Esox genus) are such a good illustration to beginning students of the importance of learning the system of binomial nomenclature.

Posted by Baroque from Michigan on 07/31/10 at 06:31 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

RW you are correct sir. Australia is a wonderful country. I was on the carrier JFK in 1982 for a Med-Indian ocean cruise and was lucky enough to have a port-of-call in Perth. Me and a couple of shipmates decided to walk from Freemantle to Perth a distance of 5 miles and were stopped several times to offer rides to anywhere we wanted to go. One mate would not take no for an answer and proceded to take us to a pub, and then back to his house for dinner. I met a beauty who took me to her house and when I told her I was from Detroit, began playng Seegar and Grand Funk on her hi-fi. When she took me back to fleet landing after 3 wonderful days, she starting crying ” don’t leave yank don’t leave”. It was a very tempting offer, but we were lectured about going AWOL overseas and the consequences involved. Also went to France,Spain,Kenya and Italy but they did not compete with Australia in the least. Would love to go back someday.

Nashwillo you need a 19 A to Y intervention to exercise those Penguin demons out of your skull and come over to the dark side.  smirk

Posted by cigar_nurse from Greenville South Cakalakee on 07/31/10 at 08:00 PM ET

edillac's avatar

all I know about cricket is from D.Adams books,it sucks on pandimensional levels,heh

dont do much fishing,but I had me some sweet trout in Bosnia last week

@RWBill; are you finished with the army bussiness now?

Posted by edillac from isolation on 07/31/10 at 08:45 PM ET

Sullyosis's avatar

Hey TDT!

Gimme back that fillet-O-fish!

Posted by Sullyosis from A hateful lair in Post Apocalyptic US (or Arizona) on 07/31/10 at 09:28 PM ET

1 2 >       Next »