Abel to Yzerman

Now It’s On

So, how’s this?

PG Marsh ‏@wizofozblog

There’s too much fear about heading into the season with Kronwall and White as our top two. WAKE UP, they’d both be top 2 on half the league

Is he far from the truth? Not only that, but Smith might fall into that category by next season’s end, too.

You wanna be sad and moan about this? Go ahead.  I’m shocked and disgusted about the decision made by the Ingalls sisters. But throwing in the towel is pathetic.

I’ve shifted a bit on our defense, meaning I’m not fetal as I was 24 hours ago or whenever it was Half-Pint and Mary decided to move to Walnut Grove.  But I’m also realistic enough to know that if we don’t sign another top 4 defenseman, our potential goals against is going to be a problem.

Unless our forecheck is so ferocious across four lines and the Wings become so much more abrasive, that that kind of aggression masks a weakness on the blue line.

Shane Doan. Jordin Tootoo.  Darren Helm. Cleary, Miller, Eaves, Sammy.

Spread them out across three lines and start laying the wood to people.  Change the game. Change the scheme.

If only we had a coach with a proven track record, capable of molding different types of teams based on available talent.

Oh. We do. I forgot. And he’s the best coach in the league. So good that he’s willing to swallow some pride and bring back Barry Smith. Find him. Hire him.  Bring him home.

Now do this: get us Doan but bring us Nash. And you do it with almost any asset available.  If that includes the bangers above, do it.  If that means Franzen or Fil, do it.  Some would even say, in quiet moments, that might include Zetterberg.

Or Howard.

Do it.  If Rick Nash can score 40 with Columbus, he can definitely do it in Hockeytown. And you can get him without giving up the entire team. Don’t think for a second that if Holland offered Fil, Nyquist and some pics that Howson wouldn’t consider it. Because he would.

Resist it. I get it.  Hold out for Weber next year.  Really?  Like we held out for Suter. That turned out well. And I’ll tell you this, getting Suter this year was a helluva better guarantee than getting Weber next summer.  Flying post-game elbows and all.

This is not the time to “re-load the Wing way”. It’s not. It’s time to be aggressive and daring.  It’s a time for risk because the league is wide open across the board. There is no favorite.  None.  Heck, we could win it all with the team we have right now.  Is it likely?  No. But on paper it’s better than the Kings.

Scoring the golden children of the Minnesota plains would have been easy and obvious work for our Tick Tock.  It didn’t happen and I’m done crying about it.  I’m not pissed at Kenny because he found himself in a battle he couldn’t win.  The draw of the quiet prairie was just too strong. Family reunions, with t-shirts and everything, was too much to pass up.

The MSM is rejoicing Kenny.  They say you’re done.  The Wings are finally on the verge of mediocrity.  So, screw it. Quit. Retire. Hand the reigns over to Nill or the Cap Kid.  Hell, call Stevie and tell him the job is his if he wants it.

Or don’t.  How about viewing this as your greatest challenge?

We’re the fuching Detroit By God Red Wings, Kenny.  Back on the horse, big boy.  Be creative. Be risky. Hell, throw an offer sheet at Weber just to wreck Poile once and for good, just to send little Josh Cooper into the worst kind of sobbing tantrum.

Bring us the big kid from Columbus and the mean prick from Phoenix.  We need ‘em both.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous        < 1 2

RWBill's avatar

this year’s champ was a lunch-bucket squad that got it done with grit, guts, intestinal fortitude

This is why for three years I’ve liked the idea of Shane Doan on the Wings.

Hunger, passion, effort?  You bet.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 07/05/12 at 04:57 PM ET

Primis's avatar

You forget, Primis. Zetterberg’s goals went down at exactly the same time he went from Pavel’s wing to 2nd line pivot.

Don’t let the facts get in the way of your stats.

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 07/05/12 at 03:03 PM ET

You really think Pavel is worth 20 goals difference?

I love Pavel but… that seems to be a bit much.  The point is, Z can do it.  They have a 40 goal man signed already, on the roster.

Blame him not playing with Pavel if you want then, but then that’s Babcock’s stubborn fault, and I know a lot of you won’t like that either.  Either Babcock is costing the Wings 20 goals/year, or Z needs to step the $^#(* up.

But hey, let’s not let facts get in the way.

I still fail to see why Z *has* to center a line on a team whose forwards are almost nothing but natural centers…

Posted by Primis on 07/05/12 at 04:58 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Posted by Primis on 07/05/12 at 03:58 PM ET

Seeing as Pav took a significant point drop when he lost Z on his wing.  I think they just have great chemistry and are great by themselves but together, they were almost 100pnt players in their prime.  Together.

Shit gives me chills.  Bonus, Suter got buuuurned.  That one secured the record breaking win if I’m not mistaken.

Pav and Z, The Circus.  I do think Pav is worth 15 or so goals for Z if they play all year together, they have crazy oonagi.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/05/12 at 05:10 PM ET

calquake's avatar

$6 million for 2 years at Semin…

$4 million for 2 years at Doanbag (maybe pump that up to $5 if he hmms and hahs…and some crazy bread)...

Fil, Tatar, and pick (s) for Yandle…

That would go a long way towards making the Wings very competitive in the West.

Posted by calquake on 07/05/12 at 05:16 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Posted by Primis on 07/05/12 at 03:58 PM ET

Yes, Pav is worth 20 goals as Pav is setting Z up. Z on his own line is the playmaker for his wingers…his goal count goes down due to being more defensively responsible, not to mention…again…he’s setting up wingers more instead of shooting.

Of course, being at work I don’t have his shooting numbers in front of me so maybe that’s all irrelevant.

FWIW, I agree…why does Z have to play 2nd line C instead of…say…Filppula?

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 07/05/12 at 05:41 PM ET

WingsFaninCO's avatar

Posted by Primis on 07/05/12 at 03:58 PM ET

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 07/05/12 at 04:41 PM ET

Why is everyone forgetting how much better Happy and Fil were when playing winger to Z last year?  Fil’s numbers were way up and even Happy had 25 G.  Z playing center and moving Fil to Z’s wing seemed to work great.  That line was our best all year…and better than any line the previous year.  I’m happy if Z’s goals are down by 15-20 but he’s improving his winger’s goal totals by a combined 25 G.

Fil CAN play C, but he doesn’t produce points when he does.  And then everyone rides him for not “having a breakout year” and not scoring enough.  The answer isn’t moving around the pieces on the top 6 - it’s adding a bona fide top 6, rather than forcing Pavel to try and make a top 6 player out of Bert or Cleary.

Posted by WingsFaninCO on 07/05/12 at 06:05 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

I’m not. I was commenting on Primis’ post stating Z needs to be scoring more than 20 goals…and mentioned a possible reason he’s not scoring that many anymore.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 07/05/12 at 06:18 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

Trade Z or Howard for Nash?  I usually agree with you Chief, but I think the heat wave is getting to your head.

I’m with Primis, the boys we have need to do better.

Let’s concentrate on landing a top D.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 07/05/12 at 07:49 PM ET

pgoody's avatar

Are we talking NHL or NBA??

Posted by pgoody on 07/05/12 at 08:10 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

so, yeah…I know this is blasphemy, but maybe Zetterberg isn’t the player who struggles when not playing with Datsyuk.  maybe it’s the other way around.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 07/05/12 at 09:15 PM ET

maybe it’s the other way around.

Or maybe Zetterberg gets to play with guys who are decent while Datsyuk has to prop up a guy who doesn’t give a f*ck for half the season and a guy who should never have ever been allowed within spitting distance of the top line…

Zetterberg is my favourite player, but let’s not pretend that he would get more out with Franzen and Bertuzzi on his wings than Datsyuk got.

Posted by Garth on 07/05/12 at 10:10 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

that’s fair, too.  I really think it’s time to have each line its own identity.  too much mixing of player styles to homogenize all the lines.  instead of putting a shooter and a grinder and a big body on each line, put all the shooters on one line, the grinders on another, and a monster third line size-wise.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 07/05/12 at 10:15 PM ET

monkey's avatar

they’d both be top 2 on half the league

Which half?

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 07/05/12 at 10:30 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Some would even say, in quiet moments, that might include Zetterberg.

Are these the same “some” who wanted to trade away Steve Yzerman in 1993?

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 07/05/12 at 10:40 PM ET

MsRedWingFan's avatar

Nothing’s better than sour grape Red Wing fans. Keep it up boys, you’re making the fans in Pittsburgh look sane in comparison. Go Pens.

Posted by phil on 07/05/12 at 12:25 PM ET

blah blah blah blabity blah ... yupp that’s all we heard ... kind of sounded like the adults in the Peanuts cartoons   LOL

Posted by MsRedWingFan from West Michigan hometown of Abdelkader on 07/05/12 at 11:39 PM ET

MsRedWingFan's avatar

Ryan Pavs Semin
Hank Flip Nyquist
Sammy Helm Brunner
Tootoo Abes Bertuzzi/Cleary

Kroner Yandle
Quincey Smith
Ericsson White

I would take that team to the cup any day. at least to make some serious noise. very formidible.

Franzen and Emmerton and Sheehan and a 1st for Ryan.
Kindl, Mursak, Miller for Yandle
I would make that trade from both sides.

Posted by Munnster from USN on 07/05/12 at 02:41 PM ET

I kinda like that ^  hmmmmmmmmm

Posted by MsRedWingFan from West Michigan hometown of Abdelkader on 07/05/12 at 11:49 PM ET

MsRedWingFan's avatar

Posted by WingsFaninCO on 07/05/12 at 05:05 PM ET

wink

Posted by MsRedWingFan from West Michigan hometown of Abdelkader on 07/05/12 at 11:56 PM ET

MsRedWingFan's avatar

Posted by Garth on 07/05/12 at 09:10 PM ET

wink

Posted by MsRedWingFan from West Michigan hometown of Abdelkader on 07/05/12 at 11:58 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

</i>

fixed?

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 07/06/12 at 09:38 AM ET

Primis's avatar

I dunno’.  I just know DET has guys on the roster that can score more.  Some of them aren’t doing it.

Guys like Cleary, Bert, etc simply *aren’t* going to score more.  They’re not capable of it anymore.  Sammy is (hopefully even) a wash of losing Hudler’s numbers (and that might be overly optimistic).  If Nyquist plays 76 games I don’t think he’s putting up more than 10 - 15 goals.

So who does the extra production fall to then?  Franzen suddenly score 40, which he’s never done?  Fil score 30, which he’s never done?  Helm suddenly score 20+?

It’s gotta’ come from somewhere, folks.  But where?

Posted by Primis on 07/06/12 at 12:25 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

It’s gotta’ come from somewhere, folks.  But where?

I don’t think it’s as simple as “score more goals.”  a big part of their problem was lack of production on the PK and PP…which is more about the system than the individuals.

how many times would a single power play goal have changed the game completely in the Wings’ favor, but they couldn’t muster it?

I don’t think it’s about how many they’re scoring, but more about their inability to score the goals that really would have mattered.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 07/06/12 at 02:58 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

they’d both be top 2 on half the league

Which half?

the half that didn’t make the playoffs.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 07/06/12 at 04:59 PM ET