Abel to Yzerman

Now We Wait

from Max White of WXYZ,

On Tuesday night, the NHL's best team, the Tampa Bay Lightning, were swept by the Columbus Blue Jackets, and that means Steve Yzerman's time with the Lightning is almost over. In September, Yzerman announced he was stepping down as the team's general manager and would take on a senior adviser role with the team, with only one year left on his contract.

After the announcement, Detroit Red Wings fans saw this as a sign that Stevie Y would return to the Detroit Red Wings when his contract was up, and with the Lightning loss, does that mean an announcement is imminent?

When the announcement was made, Yzerman said he would be with the team until the end of the 2018-19 season, but "after that, I don't know."

Yzerman also said the move to a senior adviser was so that he could "spend more time with my family," and he still owns a home in metro Detroit where his family lives. In "The Russian Five" documentary, Yzerman is even seen sporting an Oakland Hills Country Club polo.

continued

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

decent article, nothing we didn’t already know. Looking forward to this summer though.

Posted by Pasha1277 on 04/17/19 at 01:49 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Yep Pasha, just a reminder post.

Most NHL contracts expire on June 30th and I think the same holds true for mgmt. and coaches.

So will TBL allow Yzerman to leave early, probably still too early for that question.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 04/17/19 at 01:55 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 04/17/19 at 01:55 PM ET

Hell, Paul, it’ll take until June 30th for Tampa Bay’s management group to come out of the fetal positions they’re in under their desks right now.  LOL

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 04/17/19 at 01:58 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Ha OTC, but probably close to the truth.

I am sure many are still in shock.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 04/17/19 at 01:59 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

this brings back memories of chris osgood playing the puck, badly, way out at the half boards late in the third period against San Jose, of Steve Yzerman sitting in the locker room saying “nothing matters until next April”, of broken bones to yzerman and shanahan.  yuk.

Posted by RWBill on 04/17/19 at 03:38 PM ET

Columbus sweeps record breaking Tampa and Islanders sweep Pens. What’s going on? I still don’t think Islanders roster without Tavares is that much better than Red Wings. The power of Trotz!

Posted by VPalmer on 04/17/19 at 07:10 PM ET

Alan's avatar

While I would love to see Stevie return to the organization, I don’t see it happening this time around. Maybe next time.

Posted by VPalmer on 04/17/19 at 07:10 PM ET

I’m shocked by the CBJ sweep, but only slightly so by the Isles sweep. I figured they would win that series. I didn’t think they’d win by way of a sweep, and I certainly thought the Pens would put up more of a fight than they did.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 04/18/19 at 12:07 AM ET

Paul's avatar

GM for Tampa talking today along with the players, as far as I can tell Yzerman was not brought up, at least in the past few hours.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 04/18/19 at 01:12 PM ET