Abel to Yzerman

Note To Willa: STFU And Stay Home

Willa is our adopted name for the waffling bitch that Mike Modano has become.  Seriously. This is just an absolute joke.  You’re 40, dude.  You’ve been let go by a crap team and you could have joined the league’s best franchise.  You said this on 7 July…

News

“The sooner the better,” Modano said of his decision. “I know they would love to get an answer so they can get their cap and their roster situated. I don’t want to delay this.”

...and this yesterday.

Freep

Modano told the Free Press he’ll make a decision, “when I start skating again—see how that feels.”

Modano said he plans to hit the ice Aug. 5 and that he won’t make a decision before that time.

Just stay out.  We’re tired of you, this story, this summer, this whole deal.  Just STFU and stay the F out of Hockeytown.  And if this even comes close to costing us Helmer or Home Keys?  We’re hunting your metro ass down.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

1 2 >       Next »

Ajax19's avatar

This isn’t all surprising coming from Modano.  This is the kind of guy he is and always has been.  He’s sort of a mellow, spacy dude.  I have two friends who worked in the Stars organization.  They traveled with the team for a few years (they worked on the TV broadcasts).  They both said the same thing about Modano.  He’s not a firey, determined hard-working guy.  He’s got great talent, but his personality is flighty.  This is why he was stripped of his “C” in Dallas.

I am not pissed off at Modano.  He is who he is.

That said, I don’t mind if the Wings move on.  He’s not going to make a huge difference and I am weary of trying to sign someone who is taking so long to decide whether they want to keep playing.

Posted by Ajax19 on 07/20/10 at 11:56 AM ET

Osrt's avatar

Definitely not going to cost us either of those two. Worst is that they have to take 1 year deals and sign the longer term contract next year. Either way Kenny said they’re staying.

But, yea. No need for a Niedermeyer like summer.

Posted by Osrt on 07/20/10 at 11:57 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Agreed on all counts.

The benefit of the doubt has expired. Go to San Jose, Mikey H. Mo.  I look forward to eliminating you and your wife from the playoffs next spring, dick.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/20/10 at 11:58 AM ET

Matt Saler's avatar

Maybe that was more “Detroit or retirement”-type mouth shooting-off. Can’t believe a word the guy says, it seems. Gotta say I feel like the Wings need to tell him, “Eh, we’re moving on, Mike.” Now.

Get Helm and Abdelkader signed and forget about Modano. I like the storyline of those guys as long-term Wings a heck of a lot more than I do the “homecoming of Mike Modano” one.

Posted by Matt Saler from Grand Rapids, MI on 07/20/10 at 11:58 AM ET

Pharazon's avatar

i don’t think he’ll improve us anyway tbh…

Posted by Pharazon from England on 07/20/10 at 12:01 PM ET

wow. this guy has gone from coveted savior to waffling bitch in no time flat. the only thing funnier will be the 180 you guys do *again* when he signs and goes back to being a coveted savior.

it really is the offseason. we are bored as hell. just go watch some tigers and forget about modano until he makes a decision. it’s not like he owes us anything.

Posted by Pete K on 07/20/10 at 12:06 PM ET

It’s funny how Holland will roll out the red carpet and wine/dine a indecisive past his prime Modano when guys like Arron Asham and Bill Guerin are available with practical salaries.  Not to mention Holland only wants to sign Modano for pure nostalgic reasons. Yes-he’s a HOFmer with Michigan ties. Yes-perhaps he’s the best American player ever to lace up the skates. Thanks for what you have done!

Holland’s rhetoric every year is “we’re looking for a gritty tough McCarty type of 3rd/4th lin forward.” You have both in Guerin.

Posted by rjman48 from Royal Oak on 07/20/10 at 12:09 PM ET

D4LRob's avatar

Fuch Modano. Sign Helm and Home Keys long-term and let the kids in Grand Rapids battle for the final roster spot(s).

Posted by D4LRob on 07/20/10 at 12:16 PM ET

D4LRob's avatar

Actually, it’s more like a big 360, and it’s best done when skating with a large silver trophy held overhead.

Posted by D4LRob on 07/20/10 at 12:20 PM ET

Ajax19's avatar

Coveted savior?

People actually said/felt that a 40 year old Mike Modano would be a “coveted savior” of the Wings?  Sersiously?  Maybe these are the same people who were bitching and moaning about how the Wings were totally screwed when they lost Stacey Roest in the expansion draft.

Modano was never going to be a savior.  Look at his production over the last few years.  He was, at best, going to add a little extra pop on the 3rd line and on the power play.  If he managed to score 20 goals that would be amazing.  More likely he’d hover around 10-15 or so.

Maybe it’s because I am The Logical Wings’ Fan and don’t sway let my emotions sway wildly back and forth like a woman when Aunt Flo comes to visit, but I always thought it’d be cool if he came for a year, but not the end of the world if he didn’t.  That’s how I felt when I first heard the news and that’s how I feel now.

If they don’t get Modano, there are likely still going to be other options.  There are a lot of decent forwards out there who are still unsigned.

Posted by Ajax19 on 07/20/10 at 12:23 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

I can’t see how adding him would help the locker room at this point.  I’ve never seen a 4th line center (which is what he was in Dallas) go this diva in UFAgency AND THE TEAMS FOLLOWED ALONG.  You’d think at some point Kenny Holland would say, “Choppers, gimme a ballpark of where you’re at”  He hasn’t even decided yet if he’s going to play, he’s gotta wait til he laces up the skates to see?  Sounds like a “No” to me.  I don’t want some half ass busted up (even if he is a future HOFer) 4th liner from dallas, coming here at taking up Abby’s minutes.  Abby’s hungry, Abby’s ready.  I’d rather have someone who has the fire to win vs. the guy who’s best days are behind him who’s not even luke warm at this point.

I don’t think I’ll have to flip flop on this one, I think Modo will sign with San Jose or Minn.  To whom much is given much is expect, I dont’ think Modo gets it and I think it scares him.  He’ll go hide somewhere else.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/20/10 at 12:27 PM ET

HockeyTownTodd's avatar

Just invite him to training camp, Kenny….
And tell him to buy his own damn insurance.

Let’s lock up what we have, and ignore the wet dreams.

Posted by HockeyTownTodd on 07/20/10 at 12:29 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Sorry, had to add this but…

Evidentally it’s a known fact Choppers doesn’t like to work out, and that that’s one of, if not the, biggest reasons he doesn’t know if he can still play.  Now he’s mulling over coming to play for the HARDEST WORKING TEAM IN THE NHL.  I’m not buyin’ it.  I think he used Detroit as leverage to generate interest elsewhere, props to him.  Work the system.  I think one last season in Minn where there’s no pressure is what Modo needs.  He can half-ass his work outs and enjoy some nostalgia and collect one more paycheck.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/20/10 at 12:34 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

Sign Him:

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 07/20/10 at 12:36 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Ink ,paper & sign the homegrown prospects.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 07/20/10 at 12:45 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

Willa…..maybe he doesn’t like his new nick?  Seems like a sensitive guy.  Drinking some wine, catching some rays, enjoying the adulation…..hit this sumbitch with a cluebat and move on.

by the way, Herm….NICE!

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, with 3 fingers of rum & a cigar.. on 07/20/10 at 12:45 PM ET

yzer19man's avatar

hahaha…Truer words have never been spoken…

If anyone has gotten their panties in a wad about this whole issue, they have major problems…There is no doubt if Mikey signs, he will make our 3/4 line depth better, but its not like we don’t have other players that can step up and fill that role either.  As last season showed, we are one of the deepest teams in the league from top to bottom…
Either way, I trust Kenny will make the right decision.  He can worry about Mr. Diva.  Thats what he gets paid to do, and he is the best at what he does, so we are in good shape and good hands.

Posted by yzer19man from Chicago, IL on 07/20/10 at 12:47 PM ET

Hear hear, Chief.

The Wild has a full roster of 23 players and about $2 million in cap space.  The Sharks have 19 signed players and about $6 million in cap space.  The Sharks it is.

Plus, it’ll be fun watching the Stars fans get practically psychotic with Modano in a Sharks sweater.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 07/20/10 at 12:53 PM ET

Cwix's avatar

I totally agree. Let’s lock up Helm and Abby and Modano can go screw himself.

Posted by Cwix from Grand Rapids, now Chicago, IL on 07/20/10 at 01:30 PM ET

VooX's avatar

Can we stop obsessing about Chopper Willa, already?

We get it, we get it… he hasn’t decided.  Now will all the MSM just STFU about it?

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 07/20/10 at 01:33 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

I have to agree, this is enough. I supported the idea to sign him, still think he has relevant talent to offer this club… and frankly, I don’t even mind the fact that he’s taking his time. But as the Chief points out so well, it’s not worth it when the guy is making these public commitments, then changing his mind two weeks later. If he’d just keep quiet and keep his answer the same each time—“I’m still deciding if I want to play”—I’d be alright with it…

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 07/20/10 at 01:34 PM ET

One might argue that the worst case scenario is that they get pissed at being fuched over AGAIN in favour of veterans, having to share the 4th line and decide to file for abritration next year or accept an offer sheet and play out the minimum number of years they have left and find a team that actually might appear to appreciate them.

Either way Kenny said they’re staying.

Yeah, he specifically said “next season”, so even he doesn’t know what they’ll do if they take 1-year deals this year.

Posted by Garth on 07/20/10 at 01:37 PM ET

There is no doubt if Mikey signs, he will make our 3/4 line depth better

No doubt?

I’d much prefer to have Abdelkader or Helm on the 3rd line.

Posted by Garth on 07/20/10 at 01:44 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

Posted by Ajax19 on 07/20/10 at 10:56 AM ET

MM, the “mellow, spacy dude” with ‘the flighty personality’, has lately been rumored to be having late night / early morning discussions with himself while looking in the bathroom mirror:

MM: “Making the Wing’s wait is STUPID!”

mm: “No it isn’t!”

MM: “Yes it is!”

mm: “No it isn’t!”

MM: “Yes it is!”

mm: ““No it isn’t!”

...

...

cheese

(Is it October yet?)

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 07/20/10 at 01:56 PM ET

Animal Drew's avatar

I’m with Gramps.

Invite him to camp.  Come on out…pay for your own travel and MAKE THE TEAM.  If he has the drive to play, what better way to prove it?  Of course, I thought that when the Rangers did this to Shanny, it was a slap in the face…but what do we owe Modano?  Nothing.  He’s handcuffing us until he makes up his damn mind.  If I were either Abdelkader or Helm, I’d be pissed.

Don’t piss off God.

Posted by Animal Drew from A Nightmare on Helm Street on 07/20/10 at 01:59 PM ET

Osrt's avatar

Posted by Garth

Maybe, but that’s pessimistic. And if cocaine has taught me anything, it’s how to be OPTMISTIC, FUCH YEAAAHHH

...sorry…

I don’t see them leaving. And it’s not like our line combinations or their ice time are fixed. They’ll play themselves up and down throughout the season, but mostly up I’m sure.

Posted by Osrt on 07/20/10 at 02:15 PM ET

Matt Saler's avatar

Maybe, but that’s pessimistic.

Meh, maybe for Abdelkader, who probably really, really wants to make it with the Wings specifically. Helm on the other hand wants to play. The kid had an attitude about being back in GR after 2008 so it’s not too far outside the realm of possibility that he’ll get frustrated being relegated to the bottom because of Modano. The one good thing is that the Wings didn’t offer Modano two years. So call it a slim chance that Helm and/or Abdelkader follow Bobby Ryan’s path and aim for a short deal, but it’s possible.

Posted by Matt Saler from Grand Rapids, MI on 07/20/10 at 02:21 PM ET

Maybe, but that’s pessimistic.

Yeah, well that’s what happens when I’m at work.

I think it’s more realism than peccimism.  If you don’t treat your young players right they’re going to leave for greener pastures.

Who do you see being played off the top three lines?

Especially when they’ll be two of five guys sharing the fourth line, meaning that they’re not likely to even be able to play a full season at their natural positions.

I mean, outside of injuries…

And wouldn’t it be grand if the Wings signed Modano to a two-year contract and he lost his 3rd line job to one of the guys who had to make concessions for the old man?

I don’t see them leaving.

Why not?  Helm has been the future of the franchise, the guy that everyone loves, yet he lost his regular job two years ago because of Hossa (who at least was a sniper in his prime), and now he’s looking at having his icetime cut because of a washed up former star (pun not really intended, but oh well).  I’ve read that Helm wasn’t paritcularly happy when he was sent down in favour of Hossa, so why would he be happy with this development?

It’s been made pretty clear by the comments of Holland that Modano is the higher priority than Helm or Abdelkader.

They may be the future of the franchise, but the future’s not forever.  At some point it has to become the present or it’s quickly going to be the past.

What happens in a couple years when our PP is being stifled by a Drew Miller and Darren Helm?  Where’s Modano going to be then?

Posted by Garth on 07/20/10 at 02:28 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

Enjoy(!)

“Pavel Datsyuk Birthday Extravaganza!”

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 07/20/10 at 02:31 PM ET

perfection's avatar

what’s all of the over emotional ranting about now?

Tick Tock thinks he makes the team better… he also said he didn’t expect to hear until August and he’s cool with waiting. He also said explicitly that neither Helmer or Abs will be sacrificed. So who cares?

If he signs, more power to him, and I agree with everyone, including Babcock, that he better WANT it and LOVE it and WORK for it. I think they wouldn’t sign him if he didn’t at least convey that at his intentions. If he doesn’t sign, then faux him.

But why all of the obsessive criticism over something that exists merely in some sports columnists attempts to make the summer a little more dramatic for a team that has almost an identical lineup as last year. Big deal… Modano implied he might sign a little bit sooner than now and he’s “waffling” (wow… in sports, really? even Stevie Y “waffled” quite a bit when it came to deciding if he should hang up the blades). WHO CARES!? of course Kenny Holland knows exactly what he’s doing and of course we will be a contender with or without the dude. So, maybe we should direct the vitriol at folks who already are on evil teams like the Sharks and let the free agents sort out their business before we decide if they’re “With us” or “Against us”.

(i for one damn well still hopes Modano sigs with the Wings. I think a Modano, Cleary, Hudler line could be the most offensively dangerous third line in the league. Not a bad thing)

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 07/20/10 at 02:43 PM ET

Matt Saler's avatar

You miss the point. It’s not about what Kenny thinks with those two. It’s about what they think. If they decide the Wings aren’t treating them right, they may just take a short deal. Whatever Kenny says, it’s what Abdelkader and Helm are thinking that’s important here.

Posted by Matt Saler from Grand Rapids, MI on 07/20/10 at 02:47 PM ET

Modano implied he might sign a little bit sooner than now and he’s “waffling” ...WHO CARES!?

Well no.  He said “Detroit or retirement” and then started talking to other teams.  He said “the sooner the better” and now he’s hanging us out to dry.

And WHO CARES?!?!  How about Helm and Abdelkader and fans who don’t want to lose young players like Miller or Eaves or Ritola or Helm or Abdelkader.

I don’t.  I think Modano’s a soft hasbeen.  I don’t think that line is appreciably better than Abdelkader/Cleary/Hudler would be.

Ultimately though it’s not his decision.  Sure, they’re not goign to be “sacrificed” this year, but if they’re jerked around and they’re SHOWN that signing a has-been 40-year old is a higher priority than they are, they’re going to end up doing what’s best for THEM rather than what Holland thinks is best for the TEAM when their next contract comes up.

Next year.

I hope to god that Modano doesn’t sign with Detroit or that Holland comes to his senses and realizes that he shouldn’t mess with the future for the sake of a not-great-anymore has-been who’s not going to put the team over the top just because of stupid nostalgia’s sake.

Posted by Garth on 07/20/10 at 02:54 PM ET

Matt Saler's avatar

Man, Garth, you and I being in lockstep on this Modano thing further solidifies my feeling like we’ve crossed over into an alternate universe… first the Wings go off chasing Modano at the future’s expense and then you and I aren’t at eachother’s throats in the comments at OtW or elsewhere. Crazy!

Posted by Matt Saler from Grand Rapids, MI on 07/20/10 at 02:57 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

I don’t see what the big deal is here.  We’ll sign Helm and Abby.  We’ll have about a million bucks left over or so, and Kenny already said he’s not going to make a move until near the start of training camp.

There’s no pressure on either side here.  This isn’t the Anaheim Ducks waiting on Niedermayer, with millions locked up and handcuffing us.

You guys need to relax and go enjoy the sunshine while it lasts.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 07/20/10 at 02:59 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Posted by Garth on 07/20/10 at 01:54 PM ET

I haven’t had one good thing to say aboot this deal from the get.

Make it stop! Please! Bitches.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 07/20/10 at 03:05 PM ET

hockeychic's avatar

You can tell it’s been a heck of a boring offseason if Modano is all there is to talk about.

Someone up there mentioned Bill Guerin and althought he didn’t make my top 10 list of most hated players in the previous post, I’m not enamored with him.  He’s called “Dollar Bill” for a reason.  Plus he’s a former Penguin which also ups the “dislike” factor.  I’m just going to sit back and wait for training camp to start.  I like Gramps’ idea of inviting him to training camp - let him make the team or not.

Posted by hockeychic from Denver, CO on 07/20/10 at 03:12 PM ET

perfection's avatar

EXACTLY!

not nearly as much riding on this as folks are making it out to be.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 07/20/10 at 03:17 PM ET

perfection's avatar

I meant ‘EXACTLY’ to Hippy Dave’s comment.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 07/20/10 at 03:18 PM ET

AndrewFromAnnArbor's avatar

I don’t know about you, Disappearing Act, but I’ve been against it from the beginning—read my comments.  Now it’s just getting on my nerves.  And his indecision was never the problem—he can take all the time he wants to decide whether or not to play, or where, or what he wants for brunch—for me, it’s always been the fact that he can’t keep his f*cking yap shut.  And he’s constantly contradicting himself.  I didn’t want him keeping us from signing a defenseman to stabilize the bottom pairing or from stifling the development of our younger players (Helm and Abdelkader are both natural centers, and to put them both on the fourth line forcing one onto the wing is a bad idea), not to mention what Garth’s alluded to about this possibly pissing them off royally…but now I don’t want him purely because of the kind of ‘character’ he’s betraying with his flapping gums.

Gramps said a long time ago, when the rumors had just started, that if he wants to play for us, make him a training camp try-out.  That’s still the best idea I’ve heard if we’re going to get involved with this idiotic flake.

The Captain NEVER ran his mouth like this.  He wasn’t sure about whether to retire, he stayed unsure, and each time, when asked the same question over and over again, said the same thing And finally, he made his decision.  Again, another example of class that deserved respect.  Tell me there’s even a whiff of that here.

You guys need to relax and go enjoy the sunshine while it lasts.

I’m from Michigan.  I hate sunshine and I don’t like summer heat, and anticipate the start of hockey season because I know the weather won’t cause me to sweat like a wax Elvis.

If Willa’s Wife could just go one day without saying something stupid about his Favre act, it’d go a long way toward calming us all the f*ck down.

Posted by AndrewFromAnnArbor from Fortress Europe on 07/20/10 at 03:50 PM ET

Hank1974's avatar

See if Kariya will sign for $1M. If so, bye-bye Modano.

Posted by Hank1974 on 07/20/10 at 03:52 PM ET