Abel to Yzerman

Note To Commodore: Don’t Do It

IwoNote: Thought I’d bring this comment up top, because irritating people like this is really a joy that hasn’t stopped in five years of blogging.

Third, and most importantly… “You’re a Detroit Red Wing now, Mike Commodore.” is utterly, filthy disgusting arrogance.

Exactly.  I’m a Wing fan.  Filthy. Disgusting.  Arrogant.

——————-

Yep, I’ll be the one to say it.  Or, at least I’ll be the one to devote a post to it.

You’re a Detroit Red Wing now, Mike Commodore.  You’re not a gimmick and you don’t need alternate story lines to endear yourself to the best fans in hockey.  Play hard. Lay some wood in front of Jim Howard. Kill some penalties and be a leader.

This guy takes 64 and he’ll be a clown everywhere he goes.  Every out of town paper will ask him about it. Every beat writer who needs a quick story is going to head right for Commodore.  Wear it for exhibition season. Raise some money (and kudos to Puck Daddy for the idea).  But when the regular season rolls around?

That’s when you get down to business.  It’s your frigging livelihood, not a lemonade stand sales pitch for a franchise that doesn’t need it. Leave ploys like this to Carolina, to Denver, to Phoenix, to Nashville…wherever it’s necessary to sell tickets or gain attention for a reason other than hockey.

JJ put it best right here

I’m more than happy to bark and clap like a seal for Commodore actually going through with it, but I want him to want to do it rather than feel some sort of overwhelming obligation to put on the clown nose and get hit in the face with pies for our amusement.

Bottom line is I don’t like that he basically has to become the jerkhole for choosing not to wear #64 for whatever reason he might have (which is just as valid as anybody’s reason why he SHOULD be wearing it)

And don’t even try to pull the charity aspect either - If it’s such a good cause, all the people who pledged should be giving the money to them regardless of whether Commodore plays along.

You want to give money to charity? Have at it.  There’s a children’s hospital right around the corner who would love a donation, or even a few quiet visits to some kids who would love to see you.  Hell, we’ll help you out. The hockey world knows the 19 have proven ourselves as some of the most generous fans around.  But taking a number to appease the nerd sect, no matter the amount raised—an amount that could be equaled in many other ways—it’s not the Red Wing way.

You’ve been hired to keep Jimmy’s playhouse clear, Mike.  You were brought on to be a bad man with a purpose, not a punch line.  Not in Detroit.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous        < 1 2 3 >       Next »

Chris in A^2's avatar

Who’s in for the pledge drive?
- Guilherme

Make that a Grant Clitsome jersey and I’m in.

Posted by Chris in A^2 from Nyquist Puck Control on 07/09/11 at 11:28 PM ET

Yes, let’s not have any fun in Hockey, people are just used to every player being super humble on the Red Wings and it’s phony they’ve had no one with a personalty since Hull and Shanahan.

Posted by TTT from fdhgh on 07/10/11 at 12:58 AM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

Ahh the dog days of July.

George is bustin his butt off in T.C. to bring us news about future Wings, and all were talking about is what # commodore will wear???

The hell with what # he wears, I just hope he keeps his hair short. That flaming red fro really creeps me out.

Posted by Down River Dan on 07/10/11 at 01:45 AM ET

Where did all the bitter people with no sense of humor come from all in a sudden? Take it for what it is, a number and a name plate on a hockey jersey. People tend to blow these little things waaaaaaaaay out of proportion.

Posted by Mike on 07/10/11 at 07:55 AM ET

Yeah, I agree, we don’t want Detroit to be some gimmick punchline city.

-puts up a statue of Robocop while the Insane Clown Posse issues a 21 faygo salute-

Posted by Alexander James Murphy from Detroit on 07/10/11 at 10:52 AM ET

You people are sad. Commodore is all class, but likes to have some fun. If Steve Heinze can wear 57 and sign autographs with a red sharpie, Commie can wear 64. if you people don’t get that our favorite sport is entertainment and that commie doing it wouldnt at all detract from the sport, you’re uninformed. As for the obvious arrogance of the fans who think this is a slap in the face to DRW, thats just pathetic.

Posted by Ben from Boston on 07/10/11 at 10:53 AM ET

Oh my gosh.  Seriously?  I think the fact that you wrote this (and that Red Wings fans are angry about it) shows a filthy, disgusting arrogance on the part of the fans.  You don’t coach the team.  Let the veteran d-man do what he wants to do.  You definitely need to chill out, because let’s be honest, it would only be amusing to see the first 2 times, if that.  So, relax.

Posted by John from Not Detroit on 07/10/11 at 10:56 AM ET

Seriously?  You’re going to hate on him just because he wears #64?

If he wears #64 and plays stellar shut down hockey like he’s being brought in for, then who gives a crap what number he wears?  He’s playing good hockey!

If he wears #64, craps the bed and gets shipped to the minors again?  Who cares?  He’ll be in Grand Rapids!

So what if people ask him about it in the cities he goes in, it’s not nearly as bad as when every team would comment on how old Chris Chelios was…

RELAX PEOPLE!  It’s just a goddamn number!  Lots of you make me embarrassed to be a Wings fan for real..

Posted by mattsyuk from Canada on 07/10/11 at 11:13 AM ET

“Leave ploys like this to Carolina, to Denver, to Phoenix, to Nashville…wherever it’s necessary to sell tickets or gain attention for a reason other than hockey.” Really? Then again, I guess the joke would work better in a well educated city like Raleigh (where 42% of its citizens have college degrees, fourth most in the country) than a sinkhole like Detroit where the only statistic you’re top ten in is violent crime and unemployment.

Posted by RockYouLikeA on 07/10/11 at 11:18 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Seriously?  You’re going to hate on him just because he wears #64?

I don’t speak for the Chief, but I do speak for me here.

If Commodore chooses to wear #64, then good for him. I’m happy. I’ll probably be one of the idiots writing computer jokes about him all season long (hell, I might do that anyway). Then, later I’ll be one of the idiots rolling his eyes because the computer jokes have played out and it’s left to be passed around by out-of-touch grandmothers and officemarms whose involvement in a meme are exactly what signals its death.

My concern is if Commodore chooses NOT to wear #64 and all you mouthbreathers start talking about how he’s this big jerk for not wanting to go along with what really is just kind of a dumb joke. My level of “take offense or take it seriously” depends solely on Mike Commodore’s.

Greg Wyshynski is a standup guy (who just so happens to enjoy disagreeing with Red Wings fans) and I’m pretty sure he could be easily convinced to donate $64 to charity regardless of whether Commodore chooses to wear one number or another. I’m not worried about Wyshynski here. I just don’t want to deal with groups of idiots who would hate on him for not wearing #64.

Personally, in a perfect world, I’d like to see Commodore tell people that while he appreciates the humor in the situation, he wants to take his time in Detroit very seriously, so he’ll wear #64 during the preseason, but switch to his own number once the real games start.

Then, I’d like to see anybody who pledged money for this charity campaign who backs out of it chased into the streets, held upside down, and shaken until their donation money falls out of them (one way or another), maybe even have their faces rubbed in dog shit just for good measure.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/10/11 at 11:31 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Posted by RockYouLikeA on 07/10/11 at 10:18 AM ET

What the shit are you talking about, idiot?  You have a college degree, I take it?

Well then you should be able to figure this out.

In case you haven’t figured out hyperlinking, that says Carolina was 20th in the league for attendance.  It means they need to sell more tickets.  Obviously all those smart people in your ‘burgh are much too interested in their high-scoring games of Scrabble and with running their pharmacies to go watch a hockey game every now and again.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/10/11 at 11:35 AM ET

“Its not the red wing way….”? ????????

Its just a number you tools.  This is what’s wrong with detroit fans.  They try and take themselves waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too serious.

Posted by jrfromindy on 07/10/11 at 11:56 AM ET

Last I checked, the number on the back of your jersey had nothing to do with your performance on the ice.

Once the season begins, people will stop paying attention to the number on the jersey and start paying attention to his numbers on the ice.

Posted by DrewBehr from Holland, MI on 07/10/11 at 12:03 PM ET

CaptNorris5's avatar

Sweet Bear Jesus tapdancing Christ - you trolls can’t read. Nobody’s losing their minds over Commodore considering taking 64. I’d wager the overwhelming majority of us couldn’t give less of a shit.

Again - Commodore has had the opportunity to take 64 in the past. More than once. He’s passed. There’s at least some evidence he doesn’t want to fuching wear it. The only thing anyone here wants is for him to just do what the fuch he wants - rather than be forced into something by a bunch of mouth-breathing melvins who have gotten way too excited about a joke that’s losing its value faster than Brett Lebda in October.

Posted by CaptNorris5 from The Winged Wheel, stuck in Chicago on 07/10/11 at 12:27 PM ET

HockeyTownTodd's avatar

Well, initially, I didn’t care….
But now that I have convinced my grand daughter’s that the Red Wings signed a player so famous that they named a computer after him….well…he’s gotta do it.

besides, there may be happy unintended consequences….

When Wyshynski is embarrassed by all the PD fans that fail on their pledge.

Posted by HockeyTownTodd on 07/10/11 at 02:43 PM ET

WingsFaninCO's avatar

To me, the crazy part is how gung-ho people are about it. Like it would be the funniest thing since Dale Tallon started putting his john hancock on dotted lines

LOL

Posted by WingsFaninCO on 07/10/11 at 02:44 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

a number and a name plate on a hockey jersey

Red Wings jerseys don’t have nameplates, sewn directly onto the jersey.

If Steve Heinze can wear 57 and sign autographs with a red sharpie

It’s because he chose to. Commodore’s been in the league for a while and never wore it.

Let the veteran d-man do what he wants to do.

Exactly what we want.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 07/10/11 at 03:21 PM ET

EpeeBill's avatar

Me? I hope he takes it. It’ll be fun. And every time a reporter or sportscaster brings it up we can laugh at them broadcasting their laziness. If he doesn’t take it, that’s fine too. He’s the one with the name on the back so he can pick the number that goes under it. As long as he remembers what’s on the front of the jersey.

Posted by EpeeBill on 07/10/11 at 07:15 PM ET

HockeyJoe's avatar

I guess having a little bit of fun is a bad idea, eh? If you’re looking for someone to blame for this “craze” it’s yours truly. I posed the question to him on Twitter that night and he tweeted that he was thinking about doing it.

I’m your huckleberry, kids.

Why? I’m a nerd. Completely and I’m a sucker for jerky stuff like this to come to fruition. I didn’t take things as far as Greg did and make a public plea for Commie 64 (with a nice charity idea to top it off) but I’m all for it nonetheless.

So… Again… Why so serious guys? You like dicking around and having jokes as much as the next fan that you have a burning hatred for, why not a little nerd humor to top it off? Yeah sure, Commie will be the features fluff story everyone who’s a Detroit fan will get sick of after a month or two because of it, but so what? It’s harmless and doing something to help a charity is NEVER a bad thing. You guys do H2H and that’s a spectacular thing each year for the Detroit Children’s Hospital. Doing good things for any reason is a great gesture and isn’t that the point here?

If you’re against the number thing and find it “lame” why not just suck it up for the greater good rather than railing against it? A few extra bucks in Mike Ilitch’s pockets from jersey and t-shirt sales won’t hurt the Wings that’s for sure and besides, who knows, maybe part of the proceeds of sales from that can go to charity too.

Posted by HockeyJoe from Upstate New York on 07/10/11 at 10:53 PM ET

Baroque's avatar

What is a bigger “joke” though - going with the number 64, which just sounds good with his name anyway, or with Brett Lebda’s old 22? It isn’t as though there aren’t some toxic memories associated with that number anyway.

It’s just a number. No big deal if he does decide to go with it, no big deal if he doesn’t either. It isn’t as though he will be more of a joke with 64 and playing poorly, or less of a joke wearing 64 and playing well. It’s if he is effective or not.

This is brilliant. LOL

Posted by Baroque from Michigan on 07/11/11 at 12:03 AM ET

Wow.  Oh right!  All those people who are donating - over $6,000 now, which is incredible - should just be giving that money to charity anyway, so doing something that slightly offends the sensibilities of a handful of Wings fans just to get people to donate is just ridiculous.  I men, that’s EXACTLY WHY you never see charities do gimmicks for fundraising - certainly I’ve never seen such a ridiculous concept put into action!  Because all those people who would give in those pledge drives (which, again, charities never do because they’re ineffective and anybody who donates as a result of them would totally donate that money anyway!) will give anyway, so there’s just no point!  Thank you all so much for opening my eyes to the fact that ideas like this never actually get anyone to donate significant amounts of money.  I mean, the BEST EVIDENCE of this is the $6,000 already donated, because all those people who donated $64 to make that happen were totally going to do it anyway that day, and they just happened to see the Commodore 64 campaign that same day and said, “ooh!  Why don’t I just donate my $64through this thing, since it’s here and I was just getting ready to put this money in the mailbox and send it to my favorite charity anyway.

Never underestimate the ability of sports fans to be so callously indifferent to others because they think their team is more important, or, better yet, because they think that ONE PLAYER having a jersey number that a fan doesn’t like is more important than, say, over $6,000 and counting being donated to charity (and a HUGE amount more will be donated if he does choose 64.  But screw that, right?).

Wow.  You guys should really, truly be ashamed of yourselves.  Go look at your children and tell them that Mike Commodore not wearing number 64 is more important than getting people to give to charity.  Let me know if you have that talk with your kids anyone; I would really like to know how it goes.

Posted by Ben on 07/11/11 at 10:46 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Get ready for a whole slew of Yahoo idiots (readers and commenters) to show up in here, miss the point, and talk out of their asses.

...

shit, Ben got here before I could warn you.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/11/11 at 10:48 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

a HUGE amount more will be donated if he does choose 64.

That doesn’t make Commodore the shitstain if he goes with #22 - that makes all of those people who pull their pledges because a grown man wouldn’t dance like an organ-grinder’s monkey for them the shitstains.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/11/11 at 10:50 AM ET

This is a terrible idea, cuz hockey is super srs bsns guyz. Especially the Red Wings, the most srs bsns of all. *throws octopus on ice*

Humor is no laughing matter.

Posted by pgrmdave on 07/11/11 at 10:53 AM ET

And before you say, “noooo, it’s not about not wanting him to wear 64; we just want to make sure nobody forces him to,” you can be sure that Commodore won’t do it if he doesn’t want to, and, if he does, it would probably be for the same reason many of us think you guys are being jerks: because it would get a charity lots of money.  And even if he did feel “forced” because of that…um, yeah?  So what?  We should all feel bad for having pressured (not forced, because you can’t force him to do anything but feel pressured) a multi-millionaire into taking a damn jersey number he didn’t want that ended up raising thousands of dollars for charity?

Let me put that another way…Which do you think is more important: raising thousands of dollars for charity, or making sure a single dam professional hockey player doesn’t feel uncomfortable about choosing his jersey number?  If you chose the latter option, you should really start thinking about your priorities and just how poorly you rank their importance.

Sad.  Just sad.

Posted by Ben on 07/11/11 at 10:59 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I will donate $10 to charity if you shut the hell up.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/11/11 at 11:14 AM ET

JJ from Kansas: are you just not reading the full posts?  The point is who cares whether other people would be jerks to pull theire donations if he doesn’t do it?  Whether or not the people who did that would be jerks, the result is still thousands of dollars lost to charity.  Whether or not losing those thousands makes people jerks is completely irrelevant.  How can you possibly suggest that the fact that the charity money that would be lost as a result of jerks be your justification for not doing something that would get those jerks to donate thousands?  Especially when the only thing that has to happen to get those thousands is as simple as getting a player to wear a jersey number?

Go tell, say, a child at a children’s hospital who won’t get the life-saving operation he needs without this money that he has to die because you just can’t stand by and let an NHL player be forced to wear a number just to get people to donate that money.  And again, let me know how it goes if you decide to go have that chat.

Posted by Ben on 07/11/11 at 11:15 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

You just cost charity $10.

You heartless monster.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/11/11 at 11:18 AM ET

JJ, that’s funny that you would donate ten bucks if i stop posting.  Unfortunately for you, if we apply the argument you made made just a few posts ago, this means that:
(1) You’re a huge jerk for not donating that money just because I haven’t shut up.  Anybody who makes their donation contingent on me not posting anymore should be giving that money to charity anyway.  Better get that check in the mail!
(2) You shouldn’t try to force me to stop posting just to get money donated to charity.

Posted by Ben on 07/11/11 at 11:25 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Make it $20.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/11/11 at 11:27 AM ET

JJ,

how is it talking out my ass and missing the point that I say I want him to wear it. Im a CBJ fan I’ve talked to commie a few times and a little on twitter, and he’s a good dude, and if you know him at all, you know he likes to have a little fun now and then. Whats wrong with people encouraging him to do something they think he can have some fun with?

Posted by Ben on 07/11/11 at 11:32 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Oh fine, I’ll be serious again…

Posted by Ben on 07/11/11 at 10:25 AM ET

And YOU shouldn’t try to force a grown man to wear a joke on his jersey just to get money donated to charity.

Please stop trying to frame this as a situation where either you’re either completely in love with this idea or you’re in favor of euthanizing babies.  Don’t talk to me about being in children’s hospitals and seeing the faces of suffering you myopic shart. You’re standing at ground zero of a movement that’s donated way more than this Commodore sum to charity as a means for Red Wings fans to get together and give to a good cause. Two seasons ago, I had to miss the inaugural get-together because my own daughter was in a children’s hospital, so up yours and your “won’t somebody think of the children!” wailing.

Want to know how to turn this from a not-great idea to a pretty good idea? Change the simple wording. Drop the initial concept that “I will donate $64 to charity IF Mike Commodore wears #64 in Detroit” and change it ever-so-slightly to “I will donate $64 to charity IN HOPES THAT mike Commodore will wear #64 in Detroit” and it turns the entire movement from holding charity money hostage for a guy who had very little say into a fun and lighthearted gimmick.

This way, the choice for Commodore is not “turn your last name into a joke and an advertisement for a computer company you likely don’t care about or go tell children they have to die because you’re a calloused jerk” to “It would be cool if you considered this, but do whatever you want.”

Or… you could keep telling me that I should be ashamed of myself and that I should tell my children I’m an uncharitable monster.  Either way, ass-talker.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/11/11 at 11:45 AM ET

Ah I see the problem now, there are 2 Bens. I hadnt seen every comment. I definitely didnt write the one that started with “JJ, that’s funny that you would donate ten bucks if i stop posting. “

I didnt care at all about the fundraising, I love the idea of him wearing 64 for the fun quotient. If Satan had ever been acquired by the Devils I would have found it humorous if he wore 66. I thought about it when he came to Columbus but no one ever mentioned it and i assumed he just wore 22 because it was his favorite.

Guys wear numbers for all sorts of reasons, some of which we’ll never know. I guess I think people take this way too seriously and should get to know Commie the guy and understand why its fitting his personality to do something like this. I grew up in Michigan but was (and am) always a Tigers fan but wasnt much of a Wings fan (though Im a big Stevie Y fan). I didnt get into hockey until the CBJ came to Columbus while I lived there.

Posted by Ben B on 07/11/11 at 11:51 AM ET

Clearly you did not read or chose to ignore the sentence preceding that quote from my post that said that those two points were what would be the result of applying the thought process you previously promoted to your more recent suggestion that I stop posting so you donate money to charity.

Oh by the way, you again missed or chose to ignore my response in a previous post to your idea that it should ne changed to “IF he makes his number 64,” i.stead of “when he makes his number 64.”  As I said, thousands more will be donated if he does it.  People have already started doing your “if” suggestion, as evinced by the $6,000+ already donated.  But just because a few thousand has already been donated isn’t any better of a reason to give up the thousand more that would if he does it.

Oh and also, this isn’t “‘won’t somebody think of the children’ wailing.”  We’re talking about money being donated to charity for a simple thing, not public school policies others other such issues.  When the conversation is about donating money to sick children, I’m pretty sure that the issue primarily involves thinking about children and their welfare.

I haven’t once insulted you this entire time, despite three or four posts in a row in which you just couldn’t resist insulting me.  I guess it must be really hard for you to hold back on calling people things like “myopic shart just because they disagree with you.

Posted by Ben on 07/11/11 at 12:04 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Clearly you have shit for brains and are incapable of processing satire.

To my knowledge, not one thin dime has been donated. We’re talking about money pledged.  It doesn’t become a donation until the cash actually gets to the charity.  The fact that there would be even $1 difference in the amount actually donated to charity if he did wear #64 rather than if he didn’t wear #64 is the whole basis of the problem. That there are people who are making their pledge to charity contingent solely on their demand that he go through with this joke is the issue, not the fact that somebody had an idea to donate to charity and it got lots of attention - that is a good thing and nobody here has said otherwise.

Then stop telling me to feel shame and to go tell my own children that somebody has to die because we disagree.

I called you a myopic shart because you were being a myopic shart. Don’t cry about how you’re being nice and I’m being mean while you’re telling the lot of us that we’re a bunch of sad, shameful, callous jerks.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/11/11 at 12:17 PM ET

Ben B: yeah I didn’t read the entire thread either (up to 74 comments now!), so sorry for the confusion I cause.  I will post as “Ben S.” from now on.

Also

Yeah, I agree, we don’t want Detroit to be some gimmick punchline city.

That is awesome.  And I was so psyched when they announced that plan for the Robocop statue.  One of my favorite films in the history of ever.

Posted by Ben S. on 07/11/11 at 12:20 PM ET

Oh right, I forgot I didn’t mention that the fact that people are making donations contingent on him making his taking number 64 shouldn’t be relevant because, regardless of whether or not pulling that money makes them jerks, the money would still be lost because people cried about a player on their team being “forced” to wear a number.  Actually I did say that.  Anyway, you’re right about one thing: the fact that people are making donations contingent on him going through with this IS the issue, but what’s the remedy?  If tons of people won’t donate if he doesn’t take 64, there are two options: (1) just lose that money, and (2) have him take the number and not lose the money.  People will always be jerks, but that’s just the way it is.

Well, myopic means vehemently supporting only one viewpoint and refusing to acknowledge the merits of any others, right?  So we once again get the opportunity to apply your own logic to your posts: by being as steadfastly opposed to my viewpoint as I am to yours, you are being just as much of a “myopic shart” as I am.  So…congratulations?

Posted by Ben S. on 07/11/11 at 12:37 PM ET

CaptNorris5's avatar

I’ve got over 19,000 reasons accrued over the past two years to illustrate how fundamentally flawed you are with your opinions as to where our priorities lie relating to charity, shitforbrains.

Posted by CaptNorris5 from The Winged Wheel, stuck in Chicago on 07/11/11 at 12:40 PM ET

tkfergy's avatar

J.J. from Kansas

You crack me up…. you’re getting the Bens of the world in a frantic state because they won’t donate money to charity if a guy won’t get in on their joke….

Posted by tkfergy on 07/11/11 at 12:43 PM ET

CaptNorris5's avatar

HEY HEY HEY! Let’s at least get our facts right.

The pledges aren’t donations. They are unilateral third party beneficiary contracts. Now… I refuse to engage in any sort of conversation with someone not willing to use the property terminology. GOOD DAY!

Posted by CaptNorris5 from The Winged Wheel, stuck in Chicago on 07/11/11 at 12:49 PM ET

« Previous        < 1 2 3 >       Next »