Abel to Yzerman

Nobody Likes A Delicate Genius

As a Red Wings fan there is a lot to be happy about.  There is also a lot to get pissed off about.

As the first post since the Wings were eliminated, you might expect some sad reflection and wondering on what could have been.  Maybe on any blog other than A2Y that would happen.  Over here, cocky arrogance is never replaced with quiet melancholy.  It’s not in our DNA to get all emo and pout.  Real Red Wings fans remain optimistic.

There will be those who cast doubts on the future of the team.  The lips on their mouths flapping in the wind like the wizard sleeves they are to anyone who will listen.  You can almost hear the Delicate Genius’ wizard sleeves slapping together when he writes this:

In Hockeytown, when the team wins, it feels like destiny, and when it loses, destiny took a breather, sure to be back next year, ready for a kiss, right?
Well, at the risk of having my head taken off, don’t be so sure.

Sure, Mitch.  We’ll listen to what you have to say.  You’ve been so good to Red Wings fans writing the semi-annual article in between feeling up old ladies you meet on your book tour.  Of course, this blog was created as an opposing force to the moronic drivel Red Wings writers like the Delicate Genius offer us.  So why stop now?

There is a reason real Red Wings fans hate the Delicate Genius.  He is the definition of a bandwagon journalist.  A hack who draws a salary to comment on something he knows nothing about, and cares even less for.

But ignorance doesn’t stop the Delicate Genius.  Tell us, Mitch, why the sudden negativity?

I had a unique chance to watch this second round from afar—for the first time in years—and minus the coating of our hometown optimism, I have to say this:
They were beaten.
And it could easily happen again.

Give me a fauxing break, Mitchell, I can read between the

lines

sentences you wrote.  You watched this second round from afar?  Bullshit.  You were too busy on tour selling the saccharine drivel you pass off for books to mindless Oprah housewife-zombies to watch any playoff hockey this season.  As we know, Versus is carried in very few US cities, and exactly none of the retirement centres and schools on your book tour.

Real Red Wings fans deserve so much more than you.  We deserve more than the Deep Diggers too.  We deserve journalists who understand how well this team really did this season.  Despite the early playoff exit, Wings fans should be proud.

Looking back to January, the playoffs seemed like a remote possibility.  We kept the faith and it was rewarded.  Not only did we make the playoffs, but we ended up in 5th position when many other teams would have gone fetal after being molested by Jobu all season.  We overcame incredible odds but ultimately lost to the 2nd place team in the NHL during the regular season, San Jose.  There is no shame in that.  It’s not like we lost at home to the 19th place team in game 7 to end our chances of another Stanley Cup.  That would be pathetic.

The future is bright in Hockeytown.  Every player on the team buys into our system.  Every player is committed to winning.  Every season.  We have the best management, scouting, and cap management in the NHL.  In Tick-Tock we trust.

Not the Delicate Genius, however.  More drivel from his wizard sleeve:

And remember, the Wings’ recent success has coincided with years of the Sharks’ underachieving. If San Jose finally has figured it out—along with coming teams like Chicago and defending champion Pittsburgh—that’s not good for Detroit’s chances.

STFU, Mitch, you have no idea what you are talking about.  The Western Conference should be renamed after Mike Ilitch.  After all, it was his leadership at the helm of the Red Wings which led to our style of management and play.  No other team has shaped their competitors like the Red Wings have.  Ever.

The reason the Western Conference dominated the Eastern Conference for the past decade is because of the Red Wings.  The Wings forced the entire conference to learn how to play defence in order to have a shot at beating us.  There is a reason they say to get the Cup you have to go through Detroit.

While other teams may emulate us, they are always a little behind.  The Wings style continues to evolve and adapt to the changing game.  We will be a front-runner again next season as we chase Cup #12.  We will be a front-runner the season after that.  And after that.

So spare the fair-weather journalism for those who don’t understand hockey.  Hockeytown is too smart not to believe that the legend of the Red Wings Dynasty will continue to be written.  Never bet against the Red Wings.  Real Wings fans know better than that, and so should you, Mitch.  We don’t deserve, or care for, bandwagon journalism.  Save it for a more appropriate audience.  Like Pens fans.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

1 2 3 >  Last ›      Next »

Lucce's avatar

Well at least we didnt loose against the Habs. Maybe we can get Hal Gill next season?

Posted by Lucce from Kingdom of Zweden on 05/13/10 at 03:15 AM ET

Twig in Houston's avatar

great post, voox. good to see a2y coming back to life!

Posted by Twig in Houston from Houston, TX on 05/13/10 at 03:25 AM ET

VooX's avatar

Posted by Twig in Houston on 05/13/10 at 01:25 AM ET

Sorry for the lack of posts, 19.  I know us Canadians apologize too easily, but I do feel bad I couldn’t contribute more to the blog the past few weeks.  At least the flow of drinks hasn’t slowed down.

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 05/13/10 at 03:31 AM ET

w2j2's avatar

Well said, Voox.

Albom is just useless…

I think the Wings’ finest hours this year were in late November and December, when they were scratching out wins with an AHL lineup.

The Wings’ style of play imho goes back to Scotty Bowman for the defense emphasis and the Russian 5 / Igor Larionov for puck control.

Holland has continued those traditions, much like Lou Lamarillo has continued the Trap defense in New Jersey.

Posted by w2j2 on 05/13/10 at 03:36 AM ET

Osrt's avatar

aLol. Awesome.

Posted by w2j2

Agreed completely. Even Babbles was told to adjust his systems to match the organization’s philosophy.

Remember that great story about Larionov stopping one of Scotty’s practices and asking him to put all the Russians together. They do a small scrimmage and the Russian 5 control the puck the whole time just cycling it in the zone weaving wherever they damn well please.

“Well?” Igor aks.

“It was great but you didn’t get any shots,” Scotty replies.

“I told them not to shoot.”

The smartest player to ever play demonstrates his plan to the greatest coach of all time. And the Russian 5 playing style becomes synonymous with the Red Wings.

I love that fuching story; it makes me giggle like a little girl. We’re so fuching lucky, it’s insane.

And Doug Brownov too. Just freaking awesome.

Posted by Osrt on 05/13/10 at 04:05 AM ET

Chris in A^2's avatar

They were beaten.
And it could easily happen again.

I’m pretty sure that the wings have been beaten 9 other times in the playoffs since 97.  Most of those times, they didn’t lose the four times in one goal games with a huge discrepancy in penalty time.

Because when the Wings won the cups before the cap, there where no other consistently good teams.  The Devils and Avalanche didn’t win multiple cups in the dead puck era.  Out of the Wings, Sharks, Penguins and Hawks, I’ll take the wing’s track record.

Posted by Chris in A^2 from Nyquist Puck Control on 05/13/10 at 06:03 AM ET

stayouttamalibu's avatar

Fantastic post Voox, good to see you back again.

I’m still giddy from earlier today.  The incredible and joyous feeling of knowing the Pens are eliminated is a feeling that will continue to bring me smiles for quite a long time.

Posted by stayouttamalibu from California on 05/13/10 at 08:25 AM ET

monkey's avatar

Man- Crosby and Fleury are AWESOME.

That being said, my prediction that “the Penguins are now the favorites to win the Cup” is toasted, which is also awesome.

Since I’m so good at them, here’s another one: the winner of the Western Conference Final will win the Cup.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 05/13/10 at 08:47 AM ET

Cwix's avatar

Spot on VooX. Mitch is a punk. I’m proud of our team too, considering everything.

Likewise I’m positively giddy that Thid and company are out. Hey Pen(i)s fans… STFU.

Posted by Cwix from Grand Rapids, now Roanoke, VA on 05/13/10 at 09:17 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

v00x!  w00t bitch!

Pens lose?  If Howard Cosell were alive, “Down goes Spinks!  Down goes Spinks!”

They never achieved “Frazier” status.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 05/13/10 at 09:30 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

omg the central Virginia group is up and online, Cwix, plus Monkey, LMAO.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 05/13/10 at 09:31 AM ET

Rdwings28's avatar

He’s just another POOHF, playoff only hockey fan. Fine with me, I love the regular season.

Posted by Rdwings28 on 05/13/10 at 09:42 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

I said this in Paul’s posting of the article, but it’s gotten to the point where you can’t really tell the difference between Albom, Evil Drew Sharp, or Rosenberg the Shift Disturber’s columns anymore.  Contrarianism!  Lions-like pessimism!  Woe, woe is at hand, etc. etc.!

People with brains yawn and move on…but the sad part comes in when Detroit’s sports talk radio morons give these columns airplay.  When Rosenberg declared that Nicklas Lidstrom had officially entered his decline after Game 3 against Phoenix, the official mascots of radio stupidity, WXYT’s Valenti and Foster, essentially encouraged fans to call in and suggest that the old, washed-up bum wearing #5 was dragging the team down and should retire based on one -3 performance, and they still entertain the, “Lidstrom’s a bum” callers in between talking about the Lions or U of M football in May, all while insisting that none of their callers want to talk about hockey.  I’m sure Albom’s column got airplay with the sports fans who have five-second attention spans and only watch the Wings in the playoffs agreeing with everything he said, but I wouldn’t know because when these columns hit, I turn off the radio.

It’s just sad that the people who watch hockey least and only write columns to hear themselves talk are deemed the experts.  Albom’s going to go back to his book tour or radio show or whatever and write the same column next March when he starts writing about hockey again, declaring that the Wings have an inadequately-built team that’s going to flop, blah blah blah, and in the interim the Freep gives him a once-a-week column to lament the state of the world these days.

If anything, at least this time, he made the admission that he doesn’t know what he’s talking about to begin with…that’s progress for the Delicate Moron.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 05/13/10 at 09:50 AM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

Glad to see you back VooX.

Other than the Bs losing, last night was fuchin’ awesome.  A few observations:

We all know that Gary’s Baby Boy and Shrek disappeared while being stomped by the Habs but where was Gonchar last night.  He couldn’t have been more disinterested if he was a gay man at the Bunny Ranch.

Other than the mindfart on the Staal goal, PK Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuubaaaaaann was impressive.  If the kid is legit we witnessed the birth of the next defensive superstar.

Reding other blogs after Vagcuver’s loss, I saw many Pen(i)s fans were criticizing Nuks fans of booing and leaving before the game was over.  Hmmmmm. Pen’s “fans” doing the same thing during the last game at the only barn they’ve known for the past three years was priceless as was the dejected “stunned” faces in the crowd.

Go Bs.

Will we see a good series between little brother and the Sharts?  Will Chi’s goaltending be the death of them?  Will Jumbo Joe and his merry band of Scuba Steves complete their choke moniker?  Hopefully it will be a good series.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from Where the GM likes his team. on 05/13/10 at 10:26 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from Livin’ Free or Die on 05/13/10 at 08:26 AM ET

The best two teams left are SJ and the ‘Hawks, but I’ll stop short of saying that series is the real SC Final.

The B’s are so beat up even the Flyers are beating them, MTL is the classic Ride the Hot Goalie playoff team with great Superstar support from Cammalllerrri, who could win the playoff MVP if it weren’t for Halak.

By all counts, the WC Champion should steamroll whatever no talent bitch comes out of the East, but that’s why they play the games.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 05/13/10 at 10:42 AM ET

it_burns_us's avatar

So, while I totally get behind slamming Albom as a fair-weather journalist (only because he has the audacity to write like he’s been following the team obsessively) I do know he hasn’t been on booktour.

He has been in Haiti helping build an orphanage.  And really, you can’t fault the guy for that.  Should he be writing with an authority he no longer has? Definitely not.  But I don’t think it’s fair to misrepresent the good work he is doing right now.

Posted by it_burns_us on 05/13/10 at 10:42 AM ET

w2j2's avatar

Question:  Given that the Wings play Russian style puck control hockey, what genius in Russia developed this puck control style for the old Soviet Red Army team?

Posted by w2j2 on 05/13/10 at 11:00 AM ET

CaptNorris5's avatar

Ouch.

Almost makes me feel bad for slamming him pretty hard after this article first came out. Almost.  You’re right in that it doesn’t really give him authority to write such a POS article. Hell, if anything I’d imagine he could have made a much much much better article about perspective, and how we shouldnt be too upset over the loss because of how much worse it could be.

Like I said in my reaction before, I equate Mitch with Metallica a bit. I can’t stand any of their recent stuff because it’s so damn mediocre and I just KNOW - they’ve proven it to me - that they can do so much better. Mitch’s days writing about hockey ought to be over. He just doesn’t care enough anymore. And that’s fine. Just pass the torch. I say in June 2011 it should be the Chief’s mug we see on the Freep poster after a win.

I can imagine it now: “Fuch Yes It’s Our Dynasty, Bitches” with an IwoCPO byline.

Posted by CaptNorris5 from The Winged Wheel, stuck in Chicago on 05/13/10 at 11:08 AM ET

Stilly's avatar

Wow.  The obsession with the Pens around here is adorable.

Posted by Stilly on 05/13/10 at 11:22 AM ET

AndrewFromAnnArbor's avatar

Lo, VooX lives!  I’ll have a glass of sangria as long as you’re up, dinero.

What?  I’m supposed to read something Mitch Albom wrote?  But the playoffs are over…shouldn’t he be pimping his book about the five degenerate perverts you meet in heaven or something?

I’ll pass, anyway.  Guy needs to take the Either/Or test.

“I was stunned,” rosby said. “I don’t know how that’s a penalty 10 seconds into the game.”

ROSBY = STUNNED

Oh, the Pensblog just HAS to do that one.

NAACP Bitches LOL

So says you.  I know you’re just after those Spelman college co-eds anyway.

And let this series victory stand as proof that undersized players can still put forth suffocating defense.

Anyone (who’s watching Versucks) just hear Doc call half the Pens Fans bandwagoners?

I’m starting to like Doc more & more, even to the point where I’m thinking he might be a closet Wings homer.  What’s wrong with me?

Fleury—not only is the worst goalie to ever win a Cup, he’s the worst goalie to be chosen with a frickin’ LOTTERY PICK.  Yeah.  Elite, he is.

All right Pen(i)s trolls, here’s a shout-out to you: grow a pair and show up here after that game.

Posted by AndrewFromAnnArbor from Fortress Europe on 05/13/10 at 11:26 AM ET

AndrewFromAnnArbor's avatar

Wow.  The obsession with the Pens around here is adorable.

At least we’re more interested in Game Seven than the Pens were.

Posted by AndrewFromAnnArbor from Fortress Europe on 05/13/10 at 11:28 AM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

While other teams may emulate us, they are always a little behind.

I disagree.  I think other teams have caught us - not necessarily by directly copying the Wings, but by figuring out how to beat them.  that’s what happens in sports.  then, in order to stay ahead, you have to come up with something new in order to take a step ahead of those teams again.

so this new formula that beats a puck possession team like the Wings, what is it?  I think it’s a very, very good forecheck, excellent neutral zone defense, and opportunistic scoring.  think about it…what is the Wings’ puck possession system?  gaining possession in your own zone (hampered by a good forecheck) and speed through the neutral zone (stopped by good neutral zone defense).

teams have known for a while that this is how to beat the Wings.  it just took them a while to perfect it.  San Jose was built, by an ex-Wings coach, to beat the Red Wings.

so we know what the formula is.  now the Wings have to figure out what it takes to beat the formula that was designed to beat them.  I don’t think they need to necessarily emulate the forecheck/neutral zone system - but they do need to take some pieces from it, add their own system to it, and then come out on top again.

lucky for us, if there’s anyone who can build a team and system to do it, it’s Ken Holland, Steve Yzerman, and Mike Babcock.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/13/10 at 12:14 PM ET

Alan's avatar

I was starting to get lonely without another A2Y post! Thanks! Great write-up!

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 05/13/10 at 12:26 PM ET

HockeyTownTodd's avatar

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/13/10 at 10:14 AM ET

Good comment (analysis) Paul…
I expect there were others, besides me, that noticed Montreal playing W/Conf hockey.

OMG…a hockey free Thursday…this could turn out to be a long thread.

Posted by HockeyTownTodd on 05/13/10 at 12:26 PM ET

w2j2's avatar

Paul, I agree.
There is nothing like a fast forecheck to mess up Lidstrom and Rafalski from their perfect first pass.  Barry Trotz has been doing this for years.
The Wings’ counter is to get back to the puck fast and get it moving before the forecheck can get in.
The other thing they do is bump “get in the way” of the forechecker to slow him down on his way in.

Posted by w2j2 on 05/13/10 at 12:31 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

“Never bet against the Red Wings.”

Nice, VooX. Very nice and well stated.

L.G.R.W.

And,
never,
never,
never
give
up.

“The happiness comes from the Red Wings, the best Organ-I-zation in sports, and their fans.  The two greatest forces in hockey.  The anger comes from everything outside of that.”

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 05/13/10 at 12:41 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/13/10 at 10:14 AM ET

I’ve said it several times over the course of the season, but I think a return of the Murphy Dump in a big way would help alleviate the two-man strong forecheck that most teams employ against us.  It forces the forechecking team’s defenders to create much bigger gaps in their coverage between the high and low guys, allowing more time to carry the puck out.

Basically, it’s dump-and-chase hockey, but 90 feet closer.  Besides, it’s a means to force an adjustment, not an entire game plan.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 05/13/10 at 12:45 PM ET

Drapesfan33's avatar

Great Post Voox… Glad to see some writing finally going on A2Y.

Speaking of coaches that have left Uncle Mike… they (the deep diggers) are saying that MacLean is being interviewed by the Blue Jackets for a head coach position.

Just what the Orgin-I-zation needs… a central division team that plays like we do. It’s bad enough to meet the Sharks 4 times a year and play against ourselves as Uncle Mike tweeks and adjusts our game. But geeze louise… to have it it happen 6 times a year as well… ::::Shudder:::::

Good for cousine Paul but we need him or do we? My hubby said this will be a rebuild year. HA…we’ve been rebuilding the last 3 seasons a little at a time bringing in new blood. How many are left from the 02 CUP team? More new players on the 08 CUP team really.

As to Mitch… well Michigan sports WAS his thing. Morrie set him on a new path ya know. Let him build an orphanage in Haiti. Good on him. TDN and Freep need new BLOOD to write about the sport/ Team we live and breath. Enjoy your summer bitches…we’ll be back in the trenches come October.

Posted by Drapesfan33 from Burb Of Atlanta on 05/13/10 at 12:57 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

it’s a means to force an adjustment, not an entire game plan.
Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 05/13/10 at 10:45 AM ET

Many games this year and last year for that matter seemed to be missing the on the fly adjustment(s). Repeatedly slamming your skull into a brick wall doesn’t mean eventually the wall’s going to crack. Look at game 7 in the 1st round. The opponent was clearly not expecting this and we caught them flat footed.
I was talking with Stace last night and I think one of the kep elements we are missing is something along the lines of the hate for the Avs. Truly well deserved hate by the entire team. That shit was glue for the team. Sure we’re eyeballs deep in petty hate for Gary, Sid and the ref’s etc, but that’s something to rally around all year long. Granted you can’t fabricate a rivalry, but we need that “something” for the guys to play for and keep them all on the same page night in & out, not just a “spark” of a roster addition or a couple of tweaks to the systems.
Given the Season of Jobu & 3 long years of puck leading up to the round 2 exit… we’re really not far off from still “having it”. I really think as much of that “it” is mental edge and not a lack of depth, snipers or goaltending.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 05/13/10 at 01:04 PM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

Wow.  The obsession with the Pens around here is adorable.

Posted by Stilly on 05/13/10 at 09:22 AM ET

As is your obsession with A2Y.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from Where the GM likes his team. on 05/13/10 at 01:12 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Piddling around, wasting time, and finding this unrealistic at best, but FWIW…

AUTO-GENERATED CAPGEEK.COM LINES
FORWARDS
Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m)
Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m)
Johan Franzen ($3.955m)
Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m)
Jiri Hudler ($2.875m)
Daniel Cleary ($2.800m)
* Tomas Holmstrom ($1.750m)
* Darren Helm ($0.900m)
* Justin Abdelkader ($0.900m)
* Patrick Eaves ($0.800m)
* Drew Miller ($0.700m)
DEFENSEMEN
Brian Rafalski ($6.000m)
* Nicklas Lidstrom ($4.500m)
Brad Stuart ($3.750m)
Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m)
* Andreas Lilja ($0.900m)
Jonathan Ericsson ($0.900m)
Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)
* Derek Meech ($0.500m)
GOALTENDERS
Chris Osgood ($1.417m) / Jimmy Howard ($0.717m)
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS
ROSTER: 21; PAYROLL: $53.030m; CAP ROOM: $3.970m BONUSES: $0.000m

As I said…most likely unrealistic…but there is a bit of scratch to play with there…

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 05/13/10 at 01:17 PM ET

HockeyTownTodd's avatar

Posted by w2j2

The most effective forecheck against the Wings is the immediate forecheck and the one that would most benefit the Wings.
When the Wings lose possession in the offensive zone, all the forwards retreat to center ice and then begin their forecheck from there sending only one man in to coast around and wave his stick at the puck.
The forecheck that is killing the Wings is the immediate forecheck where the team losing possession in our end begins forechecking immediately with the forward furthest from the action retreating to center ice.  Our D has no time to implement the breakout and our forwards are in no position for the pass, forcing errors, premature passing…etc.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas

I am a big fan of the ‘sky puck’. and feel it should be implemented more often.
Don Cherry is also a big fan and mentioned it a couple of weeks ago.
It just buys you all kinds of time for proper positioning and re-grouping.

Posted by HockeyTownTodd on 05/13/10 at 01:33 PM ET

Primis's avatar

I didn’t know people actually read Albom any more.

Posted by Primis on 05/13/10 at 01:47 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Posted by Rdwings28 on 05/13/10 at 07:42 AM ET

Is that like a Christmas & Easter Catholic?

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 05/13/10 at 02:15 PM ET

socalwingnut's avatar

I think work ethic and pin-point motivation also plays huge roles. Back in ‘08 the Wings were known as not only one of the most talented teams in the league, but also the hardest working team. After a dominating win against Dallas that year, Dave Tippett said that very thing. Hard work = strong fore check AND strong back check. Playing all 220 feet of ice every single night. Basically, if you’re going to lose, the other team has to out work you to beat you. The refs were not as much of a factor back then because this team made them irrelevant.

Add in the motivation to win it for Dallas Drake and all of the keys to success were there. They were hungry and motivated. A deadly combination and the edge you need to succeed in the Stanley Cup Playoffs. This year, San Jose is using their well-documented past failures and heavy media criticism as their motivation.

They remind me of the Red Wings teams we’ve seen in the past. Strong fore check, great special teams, solid puck moving D, hard working 3rd and 4th liners, good, but not spectacular goaltending.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Posted by socalwingnut on 05/13/10 at 02:23 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

There are Liars, Damn Liars, and Statistics. People who evaluate a player’s performance merely by quoting stats, I refer to as “Box Score Analysts”.

Nevertheless, I never saw a stack of numbers I couldn’t put into a chart. A simple chart of one variable is easy but if you just chart all the players’ salaries, so what? You don’t need a chart to understand the relationship between $7M and $700K.
This is a hard cap communist league. More than ever, each player has to be evaluated not just on contributions, but that in relation to his salary cap hit.

These SCATTER charts compare two variables and will assist in that evaluation. A coach has to fill 300 minutes of Skater ice time for 82 games.
NOTE: In all these charts, the lower right quadrant represents high production / high value per $$.
NOTE B: Expectations for D Men and Forwards are different, Forwards are represented with a circle, DMen by a square.
NOTE C: For non-A2Y, a list of sweater numbers is at the bottom of this post. . . . .
The first chart shows SEASON MINUTES OF ICE TIME : X scale, versus SEASON SALARY : Y scale.
SEASON DURABILITY - Long term injured? Someone else had to pick up the slack.
Yes, but when healthy, how aboot PER GAME SALARY : Y scale, and TOI PER GAME : X scale. OK. Wow, that much per game ( $$ / 82 )? Yup.
PER GAME VALUE

You have to score more goals than the other team. Who produced goals compared to their salary? Who’s a goal scoring bargain?
SEASON GOALS SCORED VS SEASON SALARY

Finally, Thankfully, What kind of offensive production do we get Per Game compared to a player’s salary per game? Take a look. No one exceeded 1.00 points per game.
POINTS PER GAME VS SALARY PER GAME

There are a couple of obvious high value players.  edillac and I, and a couple of others, have seen it all year, more of you jumped on during the playoffs. One or two are still in denial.
3 Lilja
44 Bertuzzi
51 Filppula
93 Franzen
96 Holmstrom

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 05/13/10 at 02:25 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

I can’t believe I’m doing this, but DG does make some good points that others around here have been making.

And, hey, I get it. And when you’re around the Wings—their good-vibe locker room, their strident coach, their shake-it-off goalie—the explanations make sense.

Sounds like the complaint many of us (myself included) had that they never saw enough desperation in the Wings on or off the ice.

But when the Wings got healthy, they won 16 of their last 21 games and were “the team nobody wants to play in the playoffs,” remember? What happened next? They lost seven of 12. And only one frontline guy, Brad Stuart, in the final game, was seriously hurt. So how are injuries an excuse?

This is mostly accurate and a good point. Kronwall is skipping the World’s because of injury, but every one on every team is banged up this time of year. The injuries affected their seeding, but they were healthy going into the playoffs.

Much of playoff hockey is one-goal games. If it were possible, some would be half-goal games. But you need to be on the right side of those. The Sharks were. And the fact that the Wings couldn’t hold leads in third periods tells you as much as the final margins do.

There was much lamenting the Wing’s inability to hold a lead around here and much fond rememberance of the way the Wings used to close out teams in the third.

My first thought when the Wings began to falter this year was this: They should have won Game 6 last June. Detroit was on the precipice of back-to-back Cups, with a 3-2 lead on Sidney Crosby and the Penguins. If ever birthright needed to assert itself, it was that night. Grab it when you can.

This could have been plagiarized from any number of recent threads.

DG’s writing is a bit melodramatic for my taste, but his main points about the Wings could have been cribbed from the posts here at A2Y.

Pardon me. Now I have to go take a shower. I feel so dirty.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 05/13/10 at 02:32 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

Mitchies next book will be a tear jerker called “Tuesday’s Without the Cup”.  He will write it from afar. Sales will surge as misguided PensFans buy it thinking the book is aboot them.

Moving thru the Sixth stage of Mourning here…6. Alchohol Abuse.  Things are on track.  Stay positive.  Being a bandwagon Habs fan has helped.  Cheap Canadian booze and girls that talk with an accent can have a soothing effect.  It’s almost like they are from another country.

Don’t get me wrong, I still heart the Pens…they are teeing off right behind me later today. Enjoy the view Thid.

RWBill…

They never achieved “Frazier” status.

I saw what you did there…but it prolly flew over the head of the youngsters here.

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, for the 23rd postseason.... on 05/13/10 at 02:49 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

now do a chart like that that replaces salary with PIM.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/13/10 at 03:06 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

RWBill, your points per game vs. salary chart brings Kenny’s skill as a GM into specific relief. The upper left quad of that chart should hold over-paid, under-achieving players, but it is noticably empty.

Imagine any of Sather’s Ranger teams over the past ten years. That quad would be full.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 05/13/10 at 03:15 PM ET

1 2 3 >  Last ›      Next »