Abel to Yzerman

No Such Thing As A Meaningless BJ

Our Uncle Mike has a vision.  To him it may be benign and ritual.  An annual rite almost, another matchup with another baby brother, one we’ve seen many times before.

Teddy Kulfan

“It looks to me we’re playing Nashville in the first round,” Babcock said. “Two really good teams. It’s going to be a battle.”

Yes it will, and with that battle should come a spirited discussion about which GM strengthened their team considerably on 28 February…and which GM did absolutely nothing.

And that little confab may turn out to be irrelevant.  For our sake, I’m hoping that discussion is short-lived and meaningless.  If, in mid-to-late April, we find ourselves talking about the trade deadline it’s going to be with a high degree of bile and angst. And we hate bile and angst. Do you follow me on this?  Our primary topic of discussion around 20 April needs to be about stifling Vancouver or exposing St. Louis.  If we’re talking about Tick Tock’s deadline standpattedness, that’s going to mean something horrible happened the days leading up to that.  With me?

But that’s a Hasek-held chit chat we can table until it’s absolutely necessary.  For now? Home ice is the beautiful baby we need to be cradling.  It’s a soft little bunny to be cherished, a Charlevoix Saturday morning with a pleasant hangover, one that doesn’t hurt, but just lingers until you make the decision that it’s time banish it the only way you know how, with another PBR.

As good as a BJ may sound right about now, this one needs to be trounced and stifled. For the sake of home ice, it really needs to be wasted and scoffed at.  Disregarded and slapped away for the sake of the greater good.

It’s a Live Blog, bitches.  Bubba’s on the horizon and, by god, we need to see that bastard a possible four times instead of three at the House that The Captains Have Built.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous       ‹ First  < 8 9 10

WestWing's avatar

The bed has been shat.  One regulation road win since January.  One.  That’s really all I got.  See ya Friday.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 03/29/12 at 12:11 AM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

Zetterberg just threw a haymaker at someone after being repeatedly crosschecked in front.

Must have though it was Rosby.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 03/29/12 at 12:11 AM ET

Good night all,
RW should have been ready for a better effort from BJ tonight after Monday’s game.

Posted by Alex on 03/29/12 at 12:12 AM ET

SolidTG7's avatar

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 03/28/12 at 10:11 PM ET

Jesus, what a horrible stat.

Embarrassing

Posted by SolidTG7 on 03/29/12 at 12:12 AM ET

I have put away my tinfoil hat regarding the officials.  It has become increasingly apparent that they just have no idea what they are doing. I would feel more comfortable letting a kardashian pilot a plane than I would trusting an NHL referee to call a game correctly 70% of the time.

Posted by Tigerjeb on 03/29/12 at 12:13 AM ET

Red Winger's avatar

I’m curious about something.  I know everyone is pretty eyeore after apparently no effort by the Wings.  But does anyone see them going past the first round this year?  Honestly.  That’s a real question.

Posted by ITDeuce from The Land of Ice and Snow on 03/28/12 at 09:44 PM ET

No. That is why I took great interest and enjoyment in the home winning streak this year, it was something very positive in a year in which it just feels like this team cannot go deep. If the Cup were awarded on talent alone I’d have them going to the Finals. But it takes more, and these guys just don’t seem to have it.

Look at Babcock, he knows it.

Now, you have no idea how I want to be proven wrong.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 03/29/12 at 12:14 AM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

My bro in law and his family were evacuated last night due to the wildfires in Conifer,Co. The fire was approx 3 miles from his home. He lives up there at aboot 8000ft.

He said they got the important things out. Booze was on the list of important things. He is 75 and the family built the mountain home back in the 70s. Bob the wife and their 3 kids did it all.

He joked that if they lose it all they will start over again in a new big RV.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 03/29/12 at 12:14 AM ET

I really thought the Wings got out of their bad habits after the most recent losing streak and then put on a great clinic against these same BJs at the Joe.  I mean isn’t that what a losing streak’s supposed to do?

I earned an “A” on my exam today and I get this putrid exhibition of “pro” hockey by the Wings.

Frustrating.  Disappointing.  Disgusting.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 03/29/12 at 12:14 AM ET

Guilherme's avatar

Emmerton played 6:49. Nyquist played 5:19.

Babcock, you idiot.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 03/29/12 at 12:19 AM ET

Posted by Tigerjeb on 03/28/12 at 10:13 PM ET

I’d bet on a Kardashian successfully landing Air Force One on the deck of an aircraft carrier smack dab in the middle of the eye wall of a category 5 hurricane before betting on VanMassenhoven calling a reasonable game.

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 03/29/12 at 12:20 AM ET

TheRealYooper's avatar

what a game. i think listening to the replay of the Supreme Court Proceedings from today session would be a better listen.

sad. sad. sad. oh, how the mighty have fallen.

I am beginning to wonder if this team really wants to win a 12th cup.

The only good thing I can take from this game is maybe the shellacking they Wings got today will wake them up. But I won’t be holding my breath.

Posted by TheRealYooper from within sight of the edge of the Earth. on 03/29/12 at 12:24 AM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

I got nothing.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 03/29/12 at 12:32 AM ET

SolidTG7's avatar

Hasn’t seemed to make a difference before, this isn’t the first road shellacking they’ve taken this year.

Besides they shouldn’t need a wake up call.

Posted by SolidTG7 on 03/29/12 at 12:36 AM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Posted by ITDeuce from The Land of Ice and Snow on 03/28/12 at 09:44 PM ET

Maybe, if the Wings get the 4th seed, and home-ice advantage in the first round.  Of course a win tonight would have helped that cause immeasurably.  Alas, the Wings seemed totally disinterested.

The Wings will find the golf course early this year. They have zero chance against NSH as the 5 seed. If they cant win on the road at CBJ, well.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 03/29/12 at 09:02 AM ET

Primis's avatar

So… we gave up a 1st for a 3rd pairing guy whose contributions quite frankly are equal to that of a 3rd pairing guy we traded away and only got a 7th for?  AWESOME!  It’s Reverse-Midas-Touch Year here in Detroit!

Yeah, I’m Eeyoring.  I have been since the deadline though.  This team doesn’t cut it this year, and while the injuries obviously contributed to some losses, they’re not the only problem.  Defensive corps still is not good enough.  And too many forwards that slack until the 58-min. mark.

BTW, calling York an ECHL goalie isn’t entirely fair.  He *is* an AHL goalie, but the Jackets are treating Dekanich with kid gloves so he has always gotten precedent in their system.

Posted by Primis on 03/29/12 at 09:28 AM ET

dougie's avatar

I got nothing.

Posted by MsRedWinger from behind rose-colored red and white glasses on 03/28/12 at 10:32 PM ET

I got a good nights sleep. Went to bed at the end of the second. I am trying to make productive use of my time.

Posted by dougie on 03/29/12 at 10:36 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

No place sucks like this place sucks.

All new, with official sounding chart title if people walk by your computer at work.

POS 032712

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 03/29/12 at 02:50 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Columbus has out scored Detroit 2-0 in the most recent 18 minutes and 35 seconds of competition between the two clubs.  They have the momentum.
Posted by monkey from here to Timbuktu on 03/28/12 at 06:38 PM ET

Looks like you’re a regular Nostradamus.

Seems like the Wings will be getting tee times before the merry month of May rolls around.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 03/29/12 at 03:50 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

By quick look this season against the league’s bottom 5 teams the Wings have barely managed a 7-6 record, with GF : GA of 43 : 41.  That is bolstered by a sterling 4-2 record vs the CBJ.

Against the Eastern Conference bottom 3 the record is 0-3, TOR, MTL, NYI, GF GA 6:16.

Many points left on the table.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 03/29/12 at 04:06 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Posted by monkey from here to Timbuktu on 03/28/12 at 06:38 PM ET

Looks like you’re a regular Nostradamus.

Well damn me for that.

Many points left on the table.

Playing down to their opponents.  How spectacular.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 03/29/12 at 04:44 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Emmerton played 6:49. Nyquist played 5:19.

This is so when they send Nyquist back down they can say it’s because he’s not getting any playing time.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 03/29/12 at 04:51 PM ET

dougie's avatar

Playing down to their opponents.  How spectacular.

Maybe that will be the silver lining. In the playoffs, all the last place teams will be out. We won’t be facing any ECHL goalies. I doubt that someone you never heard of will be scoring their first NHL goal against our boys.

Pass the Kool-Aid.

Posted by dougie on 03/29/12 at 04:54 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Pass the Kool-Aid.

Apparently that Kool-Aid is some strong shit.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 03/29/12 at 04:57 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Posted by monkey from here to Timbuktu on 03/29/12 at 02:51 PM ET

The ease with which you conjured up that logic would make people believe you work in politics or government.

This clarity of thought is why you are the reigning moral authority of The 19.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 03/29/12 at 04:57 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Am I seriously the reigning moral authority of The 19?  Because, if so, I’m going to need to get a better hat.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 03/29/12 at 09:30 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Does anyone here know how one goes about getting a job in politics or government?

Posted by monkey from Finland on 03/29/12 at 09:32 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Start kissing babies and don’t stop until you’re either the President or in jail.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 03/29/12 at 09:39 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Folks, a post about the almost ad-free KK we talked about a few days ago.

Thanks.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 03/29/12 at 10:43 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Biggest game of the year for PHX underway vs San Jose.  Joe Thornton big time snow showers Coyotes goalie.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 03/30/12 at 12:36 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

Posted by monkey from here to Timbuktu on 03/29/12 at 07:32 PM ET

If you have experience in prostitution both as a vendor and a client you’ll be far ahead.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 03/30/12 at 12:51 AM ET

HockeyTownTodd's avatar

Posted by RWBill

Best comment of 2012

Now

If you could just put that on a banner that looks like it is hanging from our rafters….

Posted by HockeyTownTodd on 03/30/12 at 01:00 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

PHX shutout San Jose, CHI picks up 2 points.

Darn, what a race.  It could be worse, we could be the Sharks, now relegated to 9th place with 4 games left.  2 games vs Dallas they could still easily win the Division and get 3rd seed and home ice.

We’re looking at 97-96-95 points with NSV and Blackhawks.  We could blame the little troll commissioner, OR, we could have taken 6 points from trash Eastern Conference bottom feeders and 2 at Columbus last night and we’d be 4th easily, already wrapped up with 8 extra gimme points we didn’t show up for.

Ready.  Set.  Vomit.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 03/30/12 at 02:50 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

With eyes glued open at midnight and 4 games left, Detroy-yet has many playoff possibilities.  All of these are quite plausible.

Home vs Nashville.
Home vs Chicago.
Away at Nashville.
Away at Chicago.
Away at Dallas.
Away at Los Angeles.
Away at Phoenix ( again ).
Away at San Jose.

There’s even a couple more but too remote to list.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 03/30/12 at 03:02 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

What the heck, it’s 1 a.m., not midnight.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 03/30/12 at 03:03 AM ET

« Previous       ‹ First  < 8 9 10