Abel to Yzerman

NHL Trade Deadline Speculation At This Point

via Craig Custance and Eric Duhatschek of The Athletic (paid),

So it starts. Our first Trade Big Board of this season. With many updates to come.

Luke Glendening, Red Wings: He’s just about the perfect depth add for a team hoping to make a long playoff run. For a team high on skill but looking for an edge on their fourth line, Glendening might be the best option. He wins a ton of faceoffs and is miserable to play against. He’s also a pure rental. The more interesting speculation surrounds the younger Detroit forwards up the lineup. There’s also a belief that Red Wings GM Steve Yzerman would consider trading one of his younger forwards like Tyler Bertuzzi and Anthony Mantha in the right deal. “I wouldn’t be shocked if (Yzerman) moved one of his top young forwards,” said one exec. “I think he’s listening on a lot of things.”

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

Id trade Mantha over Bert everyday of the week.

Posted by ThatGuy on 03/01/21 at 03:06 PM ET

Just curious what is the “right deal” in Yzerman mind

Posted by VPalmer on 03/01/21 at 03:07 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

what would you get back for mantha compared to bert?

Posted by RWBill on 03/01/21 at 03:22 PM ET

id trade Mantha in heartbeat.  Bert would take an overpay..

Posted by akwingsfan on 03/01/21 at 03:31 PM ET

I think the opinion “let’s trade Mantha” will backfire quickly when Mantha gets traded and scores 35 goals next year (because he can) and we get a late first rounder for him who will be in NHL in 3-5 years and will hopefully be as good as Mantha.
Yesterday Mantha made a number of great defensive hustles, but we only see the negatives.

Posted by VPalmer on 03/01/21 at 03:37 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Posted by VPalmer on 03/01/21 at 02:37 PM ET

I don’t know I could go both ways on this. I totally see your point in that we could toss away a guy that with the right center could really produce, especially if you put him on the 2nd unit, with another due/trio taking away a teams sole defensive focus.

That said, Mantha only signed a 4 year deal, toss this season in the trash, its 3 more years, the amount of cheek that bite would take out of us is kinda minimized, and on the opposite a bounce back and productive Mantha is only signed for 3 more years, it’ll take us 2 minimum to where the league takes note of us in the post season.

For me,  it would have to be for a prospect defenseman ready to come in next season or shortly thereafter, and is more of a sure prospect, a la not an Alex Regula types, and has to project 2nd line at least if not possible top line, and frankly I don’t think Mantha delivers that.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerHolland2.0's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 03/01/21 at 03:52 PM ET

Not good timing - we’d trade low on Mantha
and you just don’t find huge snipers who can play physical
and fast when inspired.

I want to echo the post from jdunc on an older thread:
It’s not an excuse as all guys are dealing with essentially the same
frustrating and weird season. But some guys might be effected differently.
And if this season - with one linemate injured and the other going through an
adjustment season himself, we don’t want to force a deal on Mantha unless the return is huge. We’ve seen how good he can be. The interest will continue to be there. This is not a guy whom logic and age and injuries and statistical averages say will plateau at this level. Not saying: don’t ever trade Mantha. But if you do, trade high and only for a positional asset that’s at least as hard to find.

Bert: he’s been so healthy in Detroit til now.
I admit to some worry that injuries could become a more frequent issue given his average size and consistent physicality - even though he’s smart about it.
But this is player who does so many things well and helps complete a top line.
He’s been our MVP and almost as productive as Larkin and Mantha on average - two players based on speed and size and so on ought to be more impactful.
This is a glue player; a more than the sum of his parts player - and the some of the parts is pretty good. Better get back a first pairing D or legit top goalie or center prospect as the main return in any deal including Bert.

I can see that the young veterans are aging faster than the rebuild is advancing to some extent. But moving out 1-2 of your best young veterans can’t be for something iffy even if high in upside.

Posted by lefty.30 on 03/01/21 at 04:01 PM ET

Paul's avatar

I don’t want to see Mantha moved until a new coach is in place for Detroit, or should I say if a new coach is in place.

If Blashill remains, trade Mantha and Montreal will be the name we most likely will hear for obvious reasons.  But as of right now, a player moving from a US based team to a Canadian team has to quarantine for 2 weeks although the NHL and PA are trying to get that lowered.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 03/01/21 at 04:29 PM ET

It’s always the players in Detroit, as I somewhat follow these games, players that have been taught the game by other coaches not Blashill. To me they score in spite of him not because of him.

Posted by stateofmifan on 03/01/21 at 04:36 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Posted by stateofmifan on 03/01/21 at 03:36 PM ET

Here’s the complete list of players that left the wings under Blashill and flourished elsewhere…

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerHolland2.0's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 03/01/21 at 04:39 PM ET

You’re exactly correct Murray, Blashill develops no one, not any player, not the team, no one. His job here is to develop players, he hasn’t, that’s why your list is empty. Most players that score currently had nothing to do with Blashill. Stevie trying to bring in a player with winning ways like the Bucs did Brady, because they’re not going to get that from Blashill.

Posted by stateofmifan on 03/01/21 at 04:59 PM ET

I don’t want to see Mantha moved until a new coach is in place for Detroit

And also as lefty said, now Mantha’s value is too low to trade.

Posted by VPalmer on 03/01/21 at 05:30 PM ET

Mantha reminds me of Nikolai Zherdev.  Lots of talent, lots of shifts and nights off.  I’d be OK losing a Zherdev for a prospect close to NHL ready.  I don’t want to, because of his potential and what he’s shown flashes of. But it’s the old you can lead a horse deal with him.

Posted by ThatGuy on 03/01/21 at 06:02 PM ET

He’s also locked up for 3 more years at a reasonable cap hit for what he can do potentially especially on a good team.  Bert’s on a one year deal.

Posted by ThatGuy on 03/01/21 at 06:05 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

I don’t want to see Mantha moved until a new coach is in place for Detroit

Two good reasons to hold off on dumping Mantha. He’s not exactly the only player responsible for how this team performs, but, he’s the whipping boy for many right now.

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 03/01/21 at 06:42 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

If Mantha is dealing with lingering health issues, one would think that rumors might leak out, but this isn’t the case so far.

If he’s not dealing with injury/health issues, then it comes down to Mantha’s desire to compete hard on every shift. I’m not expecting him to score like he did in the QMJHL. I’m not expecting him to score 30 (though he has the talent to). Even given the lack of a true #1 Center to play with, he should be a consistent 20 goal player.

However, even if he’s not scoring he should be getting good “looks” at scoring, and he damn well should be hustling and using his size on the defensive end of the game, but he was nearly invisible during Sundays game.

I think there’s a distinct chance he gets dealt, but I think it happens during the off season.

Posted by Down River Dan on 03/01/21 at 07:13 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Do you think Blashill has tried just *asking* Mantha to play hard?

Posted by ilovehomers on 03/01/21 at 07:19 PM ET

WingedRider's avatar

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 03/01/21 at 05:42 PM ET

I agree with your analysis.

Wings should have known what they were getting with Mantha playing in the Q.  Gee I wonder who can fill the Goal Scoring output missing with Mantha gone .

For D we have Seider , Hronek and hmmm

Then again, Blashill is probalby close to pushing Mantha to another team

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 03/01/21 at 07:20 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

What does it take? Maybe another Labradoodle?

Posted by ilovehomers on 03/01/21 at 07:20 PM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

Trading mantha or Bert at this point would be silly. Mantha needs someone he feels threatened by to light a fire under his ass. I read above someone thought he played decent last night. I suggest you go look at his corsi rating including the games we won, there not good. The eye test should be enough. He has a had a few moments but so does the mayfly.  I like Mantha and have defended him many times in the past but its time to play with the heart of Bert, Larkin, Glenny and many others.  Try and give and sacrifice some. Thats what a team player does. Not that hard to figure out.

Speaking of Glenny, he is my favorite player on this team and would hate for him to be traded. But I understand the business and he may net us a second rounder.

I rather see all these vets get traded, even though i like their play, i want to see some fresh young faces trying to make a go of it.

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 03/01/21 at 08:03 PM ET

Does anyone picture Mantha holding a Stanley cup over his head in a Red Wings jersey within the next 10 seasons? If not, then he’s very much tradable.

Personally, I think this rebuild is going to take alot more time than anyone of us want to, unless Yzerman can pull off a heist. And if he thinks he can get a heist for Mantha or Bert, then he has to take a swing.

Posted by Jdunc from Flint, MI on 03/01/21 at 08:41 PM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

I too would wait for the new coach to see how things shape up with Mantha. I wouldn’t make any trades from the core. I do realize the core to win a cup maybe totally different from the players on the team now.

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 03/01/21 at 08:49 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

And also as lefty said, now Mantha’s value is too low to trade

True. They would be lucky to obtain a bag of pucks for him. I had high hopes for him. Very disappointing. sick

Posted by bigfrog on 03/01/21 at 10:15 PM ET

It’s hard for me to care since Blashill looks good to go for a while.
When there’s a new coaching staff then I’ll see who’s around.
At some point I have to believe that some these guys would welcome an escape.

Posted by Ventr on 03/01/21 at 10:41 PM ET

Primis's avatar

I’d hold off on trading a Mantha or Bertuzzi.  Mantha is particular needs more help around him, the forward skill level is so completely abysmal that there’s not really anyone to set up a trigger man like Mantha.  I sometimes wonder if he “floats” because there’s not actually much for him to do and he’s waiting for a set-p that’s never coming.

Again, I can’t stress this enough, DET’s forward skill level is absurdly low.

It’s really, really difficult to justify trading away one of the few players with an actual offensive skillset from a roster that has so little.  You might pay dearly for it later once a little more skill filters in…

Posted by Primis on 03/02/21 at 08:29 AM ET