Abel to Yzerman

Missing All Of You

As I sit here bored, and slightly terrified, I want to say I miss all of you. The bad jokes, the horrible hockey, but now I'd give my figure skates just to share some time joining in a Live Blog. We all know the seriousness of what we're up against, and, now more than ever we need to try, even if only for a minute, to remember all the good things we share here. Every one of us have something to offer in the way of friendship, a good word, a bad joke, or, if you need to vent. The door is always open, and the Hasek is always open for business. All the best to all 19 of us.....

Lets Go Humanity!!!!!

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

Paul's avatar

Nice post Kate, take care everyone.

A KK reader emailed me asking how I dealing with having to stay at home.  i wrote back saying I am basically stuck at home for 9 out of 12 months, so not much a difference for me, but I am washing my hands 10x more than in the past.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 03/26/20 at 07:15 PM ET

Alan's avatar

Missing you and all 19 of us, too, Kate!

I hear some networks are airing old games. If you want an excuse to Live Blog, we could always throw something together for one of those. It doesn’t even have to be a Detroit game, I’d be happy to just shoot the breeze with everyone again.

Paul, I’m in a similar position. Other than leaving the house 2-3 times a month for groceries and a pharmacy run for my and Ma’s prescriptions, I’m usually at home 24/7. But I’m also in an area where sidewalks aren’t, stores are few and far between (despite being in a suburb of Atlanta, I’m roughly 3-4 miles from most grocery stores). When I can finally move, I’m going to ensure I’m close to sidewalks, stores, and a bus route.

I hope all 19 of us are doing well and staying healthy. I don’t want any member of my e-family to fall ill or worse, so please be safe.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 03/26/20 at 07:37 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

Good evening. Bad joke time….

I’ve heard Hooters is going to start delivery soon. They’re going to change their name to Knockers…... shock

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 03/26/20 at 07:47 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

As a retiree, plenty of my time is spent at home. Many of my friends, and most of my family are dispersed all over the country. Plus it’s not hard to stay away from crowds since I’m also in an area that doesn’t have much going on. Small town in South Cackalacky. Y’all… wink

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 03/26/20 at 07:59 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

Well, hello Kate!  Don’t you look ravishing!

I thought I heard someone else here in the Hasek. Don’t mind the empty Rum bottles…there were here when I arrived….honest.

Spent a few nights here, have you tried to get a Yuber of late? I got sprayed with some disinfectant poison and opted out. Nice scent though…..kind of Irish Springy.

I figured that lay aboot bartender VooX might show up, then I heard they closed the border to Canadastan.  Wouldn’t put it past him to swim the river though. Free booze and all…maybe he will bring some rum.

Taking stock, the cable TV works, plenty of Vodka left (although friday is martini night)..... pull up a chair and tell me aboot your quarantine escapades down Cackalacky way…..

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, waiting for YzerMan Plan...... on 03/26/20 at 08:31 PM ET

Funny to think back to three weeks ago, when I was fortunate that one of my larger aggravations in life was starting 11 and 7 when a capable 7 weren’t even available. Good times!

Here in northern NY, any trip out of the known is a roll of the dice. Personal interactions are well under control (eliminated) and my vocation appears in the dictionary margin next to non-essential, but it’s that chance exposure to some virus-laden surface (packaging) that’s got us in perpetual heebie-jeebie red alert.

Be well, folks. In a complete reversal of perspective, I’m actually looking forward to more of Blashill’s facial contortions.

Posted by Unhealthy Scratch from The Land of Potential Bottom Six Skill on 03/26/20 at 09:39 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

Howdy 19.
I am still working away at a bit of a slower pace due to the elective surgery cancellations.
Got some training today to possibly watch medical personnel as they enter a virus contaminated room making sure they wear the proper gear and remove it in the correct order.
Kinda scary when I’m close to the big 6 oh in years.
In retrospect, the swine flu was worse than this has been, but it’s too early to tell yet.
Hope you all are coping with the loss of hockey and the virus scare well. Stay well or stay drunk wink

Posted by cigar_nurse from On LTIR for the Greenville Pylons on 03/26/20 at 10:42 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

BTW congrats Kate on your new grandchild. Too bad they weren’t born on the 15 th like me. We would of had a birthday cigar together.  grin

Posted by cigar_nurse from On LTIR for the Greenville Pylons on 03/26/20 at 10:54 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

Thanks CN! I hope you are safe and sound while at work. It’s a special kind of person that can handle what you do. All the great care as well as all the heavy lifting. Doctors couldn’t function without nurses. You are much appreciated and respected.
And, Happy Birthday! I won’t forget next year. wink

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 03/26/20 at 11:47 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

Hey Rummy! We had a new edition to our Clan on the 16th. Elijah Lucas. He is doing great although his name isn’t common among we Irish folk. All is well and good so far here in Cackalacky.

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 03/26/20 at 11:53 PM ET

Hey gang.

2009 SCF on NBCSN right now.

Posted by ChillDistiller from Michigan on 03/27/20 at 12:10 AM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

Hello Kate and 19!

Really miss the live blog and hockey.
I didn’t think there were any bad jokes unless Cal was telling them. tongue wink

What do you call a fairy that doesn’t take a bath?

sTinkerbell

Be healthy all!

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 03/27/20 at 07:24 AM ET

AndrewFromAnnArbor's avatar

If my home looked a bit more like a mid-range Hotel Ibis and there were more guttural-sounding newsreaders on the radio, I’d feel like I’d wound the clock back to 2007.  Instead the only remnant of that is chaining myself to the laptop and endless cold sandwiches for lunch.  However, the view and the wide-open spaces out here in culchie-central are largely agreeable, so working from home (in an essential industry to which I jumped thanks to Brexit) will do for now, as it has for the last couple of weeks.  It’s out to forage later amid the horror stories of lines and shortages but I’m a wily old trickster when it comes to chow shopping.

Stay healthy and safe, Kate, and all my old muckers in The 19.  Take care of yours and yourselves, and I’ll leave you with one of the best:

Woman walks into a bar and says, “Give me a double entendre.”
So the bartender gave her one.

Posted by AndrewFromAnnArbor from Fortress Europe on 03/27/20 at 10:59 AM ET

calquake's avatar

Hola 19. I never thought I’d be living in a science-fiction movie. My wish is for all to be safe and well. I always check KK at least once a day.

What happens when you remove a snail’s shell?

They become sluggish.

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Uniquake, workin' on my manifesto on 03/27/20 at 11:10 AM ET

bigfrog's avatar

Hi Everyone, a nice post by Kate. cheese  My candy supply is good, so I’m in good shape. LOL

Posted by bigfrog on 03/27/20 at 09:41 PM ET

Hey, Kate.  Best wishes once more on the birth of your newest grandson.

Las Vegas is at a “bare necessities” level.  However, people are walking around the block, but they are keeping their social distancing seriously.  I do not know of anyone here in Vegas, in my neighborhood that has the Wuhan virus.  A disappointing result of this scare:  our Church was vandalized and truly original stained glass windows were destroyed.  We could be angry as a community, but many of us including our parish priest (after the initial anger) are choosing to be patient.

Anyway, for the longest time since the outbreak, we are really looking forward to the Mojave Desert’s dry heat.

Joke/Riddle:  What did the ocean say to the shore?

Nothing.  It just waved.

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 03/27/20 at 11:00 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Good evening. Bad joke time….

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 03/26/20 at 07:47 PM ET

Outstanding Kate.  Thanks for keeping the live blog going as Master Chief has turtled.

Not doing too much out of the ordinary for me anyway so far, occasional quick grocery shopping trips.

Hey Andrew, nice to see you again.

What do you get from a giraffe and elephant jam?

Wildlife preserve.