Abel to Yzerman
by Paul on 01/09/14 at 01:07 PM ET
Detroit Red Wings: Media Notes
- Tonight marks the 84th all-time meeting between DET and SJ
- Tonight is the second of two meetings this season between DET and SJ, only meeting in SJ
- SJ won the first meeting of the season, 1-0 in a shootout (Couture scored only SO goal)
- DET’s all-time record vs. SJ: 51-24-4-4
- DET’s all-time road record at SJ: 21-17-3-1
- DET was 1-1-1 vs. SJ in 2012-13
- Daniel Alfredsson has 14 points (5-9-14) in 16 games vs. SJ
- Pavel Datsyuk has 32 points (8-24-32) in 41 games vs. SJ
- Jimmy Howard is 3-5-4 with a 2.61 GAA, a 0.915 SV% and 1 SO vs. SJ
- Henrik Zetterberg has 36 points (17-19-36) in 38 games vs. SJ
- Zetterberg made his NHL debut on 10/10/02 vs. SJ
- Mikael Samuelsson made his NHL debut with SJ in 2000-01 Detroit Red Wings: Media Notes- Brendan Smith made his NHL debut vs. SJ on 11/17/11
- Johan Franzen scored 4 goals vs. SJ on 5/6/10 (Game 4 of the WCS)
- SJ D Brad Stuart skated in 306 games for DET from 2007-12
- SJ F Matthew Nieto played for the US NTDP in Ann Arbor from 2008-10
- SJ F Mike Brown played for the US NTDP in Ann Arbor from 2001-03 and recorded 21 points (11-10-21) in 77 games with the Michigan Wolverines from 2003-05
- SJ head coach Todd McLellan served as an assistant coach in DET from 2005-08
- SJ assistant coach Jay Woodcroft served as a video coach in DET from 2005-08
- Niklas Kronwall –Passed Slava Kozlov and tied Shawn Burr for 23rd in DET history with 214 assists on 12/30
- Pavel Datsyuk –1 point to 800
- Stephen Weiss –2 points to 400, 3 goals to 150
- Mikael Samuelsson –3 assists to 200
- Mike Babcock –5 wins to 400 with DET
San Jose Sharks: Media Notes
TONIGHT’S OPPONENT: DETROIT RED WINGS
All-Time Series…The Sharks are 28-46-4-5 all-time vs. Detroit and are 10-2-1 against the Red Wings in the last 12 games …Logan Couture has 11 points in 13 games vs. Detroit (6-5-11). April 6, 2002 at HP Pavilion: In a 6-3 victory, Patrick Marleau recorded the Sharks first hat trick against the Red Wings (and first of his career)…Jan. 4, 2007 at HP Pavilion: Patrick Marleau became the team’s all-time scoring leader, surpassing Owen Nolan’s 451 points, with a four-point game (a goal and three assists)…Oct. 30, 2008 at HP Pavilion: Rookie Jamie McGinn scored his first NHL goal and recorded his first NHL assist in a 4-2 victory…Nov. 5 2009 at Detroit: Rookie Logan Couture scored his first NHL goal in a 2-1 shootout loss …Nov. 30, 2010 at HP Pavilion: Joe Thornton recorded his 500th point in a Sharks uniform (assist) in a 5-3 loss. Henrik Zetterberg had four points …Dec. 6, 2010 at Detroit: Logan Couture had two goals and Dan Boyle became just the second Sharks player to record a plus-4 rating in a game against Detroit in the Sharks 5-2 win. It was the most goals the Sharks have ever scored at Joe Louis Arena in a single regular season game …Feb. 22, 2011 at Detroit: In a 4-3 Sharks win, Devin Setoguchi had two goals and Joe Thornton had a goal (No. 300th of his career) and two assists. Nov. 17, 2011 at HP Pavilion: Marc-Edouard Vlasic set career highs for points in a game (1+3=4) and plus/minus (+5) as the Sharks defeated the Red Wings, 5-2… Mar. 28, 2013 at HP Pavilion: Joe Pavelski and Brent Burns scored in the Sharks 2-0 shutout victory. Antti Niemi set a franchise record by becoming the first goaltender to record shutouts on consecutive days (3/27 vs. Anaheim), Pavelski extended his goal scoring streak to three games, and both teams combined for one penalty and two PIM’s to set a franchise record for fewest combined penalties and penalty minutes in a home game. The Sharks were held without a power play opportunity for only the fourth time in franchise history…
2013-14: Oct. 21 at Detroit: Logan Couture scored the shootout winning goal while Antti Niemi capped off his first shutout of the season with a magnificent kick save in the shootout against Todd Bertuzzi to give San Jose a 1-0 shootout win.
TIES TO DETROIT
- Sharks Head Coach Todd McLellan, Assistant Coach Jay Woodcroft, and defenseman Brad Stuart won a Stanley Cup with Detroit in 2008.
- Logan Couture scored his first NHL goal at Detroit on Nov. 5, 2009 against Chris Osgood and his hockey idol is former Red Wings Captain Steve Yzerman.
- Martin Havlat scored his 500th NHL point on Feb. 20, 2011 against Detroit.
- John McCarthy played in his first NHL game on Jan. 9, 2010 against Detroit.
- Joe Thornton scored his 300th NHL goal on Feb. 22, 2011 at Detroit.
- Equipment Manager Mike Aldrich worked his 1,000th NHL game at Detroit on Nov. 5, 2009. Aldrich was born and raised in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula and worked for Michigan Tech University
2013-14 SHARKS TEAM NOTES:
MOWING DOWN MOTOWN: Since the 2008-09 season when the Sharks hired Head Coach Todd McLellan, the Sharks have posted a 12-6-2 record against the Red Wings, as well as an 8-4 record against the Wings in the Stanley Cup Playoffs. This season marks the first time San Jose has faced the Red Wings as an Eastern Conference opponent.
QUIETLY STREAKING…Jason Demers and Matt Nieto have both quietly put together three-game point streaks over the last week. Since Dec. 21, Demers has recorded 3-5=8 in nine games and ranks T-6th amongst defensemen in the League in points and T-4th in goals during that span. He is one game from tying his career-high point streak (four games), which he matched earlier this season. Nieto has tallied an assist in each of the last three games and ranks T-2nd in points amongst rookies since Jan. 4. The three-game streak is a career high for Nieto
Add a Comment
Please limit embedded image or media size to 575 pixels wide.
Most Recent Blog Posts
About Abel to Yzerman
Welcome to Abel to Yzerman, a Red Wing blog since 1977. No other site on the internet has better-researched, fact-laden and better prepared discussions than A2Y. Re-phrase: we do little research, find facts and stats highly overrated and claim little to no preparation. There are 19 readers of A2Y. No more, no less. All of them, except maybe one, are juvenile in nature. Reminding them of that in the comment section will only encourage them to prove that. Your suggestions and critiques are welcome: firstname.lastname@example.org